C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Front bumper hanging...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Front bumper hanging...

Anyone have a DIY on removal and securing. The bumper was pulled when wifey backed off one of the concrete stops in a parking lot. It was hanging way more than shown, but I was able to push it up some. However the sides are still protruding - is there a clip or fastener that keeps the sides in?

]
Old 06-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
You may need to raise the car using jackstands. Easier that way.

The mounting bracket on both sides may have been dislodged or torn (hope not) and remount/retighten the bolts securing them to the side of the bumper.
It's not that hard really. Just be careful you don't tear up the inner fender linings as they get brittle over time.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Originally Posted by ob1kenobi
You may need to raise the car using jackstands. Easier that way.

The mounting bracket on both sides may have been dislodged or torn (hope not) and remount/retighten the bolts securing them to the side of the bumper.
It's not that hard really. Just be careful you don't tear up the inner fender linings as they get brittle over time.

Good luck.
Actually one of the inner fender linings got torn in winter. There was so much ice build up in front of my garage doors that I couldn't get her back in for awhile. And one morning while reversing a big *ss chuck of ice got between the wheel and the fender and rip a whole in the liner.

I did jack up one side and looked under for a minute...but didn't go any further as I have to run to a cookout in a min. And if I were to start, one thing would of lead to another and I'd be under the car for the rest of the evening...
Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by trinitony
Actually one of the inner fender linings got torn in winter. There was so much ice build up in front of my garage doors that I couldn't get her back in for awhile. And one morning while reversing a big *ss chuck of ice got between the wheel and the fender and rip a whole in the liner.

I did jack up one side and looked under for a minute...but didn't go any further as I have to run to a cookout in a min. And if I were to start, one thing would of lead to another and I'd be under the car for the rest of the evening...
No need to jack it up... If you look at the bumper alignment thread I had started it should answer all of your questions. You can pull your bumper off in about 5 minutes, it's 4 bolts and 2 screws then you unplug the temp sensor and fog lights. It's REAL EASY. As far as the flaring out to the side that is part of the reason I had started the bumper alignment thread. On the bumper itself there are brackets that slide into the guide rail on the car. These brackets are plastic and keep the ends from flaring out. The guide rails deal with the gap between the bumper and the quarter panel/front grill. I bet your brackets on the inside of the bumper are DESTROYED and you probably need to reset the guide rails as well. Resetting the guide rails is a snap, takes like 5 minutes or less for both. The brackets on my bumper were cracked and so I SUPER GLUED them for the time being until I get new ones. Worked great but I bet yours are WAY worse than mine were. Check out the "bumper alignment thread" I have all the pics posted there as well as what I did. GOOD LUCK

Last edited by 503C43 ////AMG; 06-13-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
No need to jack it up... If you look at the bumper alignment thread I had started it should answer all of your questions. You can pull your bumper off in about 5 minutes, it's 4 bolts and 2 screws then you unplug the temp sensor and fog lights. It's REAL EASY. As far as the flaring out to the side that is part of the reason I had started the bumper alignment thread. On the bumper itself there are brackets that slide into the guide rail on the car. These brackets are plastic and keep the ends from flaring out. The guide rails deal with the gap between the bumper and the quarter panel/front grill. I bet your brackets on the inside of the bumper are DESTROYED and you probably need to rest the guide rails as well. Resetting the guide rails is a snap, takes like 5 minutes or less for both. The brackets on my bumper were cracked and so I SUPER GLUED them for the time being until I get new ones. Worked great but I bet yours are WAY worse than mine were. Check out the "bumper alignment thread" I have all the pics posted there as well as what I did. GOOD LUCK
My front bumper after pics are in the HID conversion thread. I realigned my bumper at the same time I installed my crystal fogs, thats why it is in that thread under "2 birds with 1 stone" Realigning your bumpers is CAKE!!!! I will be pulling my bumper off again next week to put in the new brackets (remember I had said I SUPER GLUED mine for a quick fix) and I will be sure to post pics on how to.

Last edited by 503C43 ////AMG; 06-13-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I've found the bumper brackets that go on the car for about $20ish online. But if the channels on the bumper side are buggered and you can't repair them (as mine were), then you may need a new bumper reinforcement. I picked one up for US$170 shipped - to a US destination. The part is only like US$150, but they wanted like $200 to send it to me in Canada. Yikes. Couldn't find it cheap on my side of the border, so thank goodness for my US shipping depot.

I had the exact same situation with my car - previous owner had hit the curb a few too many times and cracked the bumper side mounting channels. I did a rudimentary repair with stainless steel safety wire, but the whole bumper wouldn't line up properly - hence the need for the new inner reinforcement.

If you do go that far, keep in mind that in order to fit the C43 bumper skin, the inner reinforcement has to be trimmed in certain areas. I found the instructions in the WIS, but they are also detailed here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...fogs-w202.html

(just so whoever is reading doesn't have to click around any more than is necessary! )

Last edited by Saaboteur; 06-14-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I've found the bumper brackets that go on the car for about $20ish online. But if the channels on the bumper side are buggered and you can't repair them (as mine were), then you may need a new bumper reinforcement. I picked one up for US$170 shipped - to a US destination. The part is only like US$150, but they wanted like $200 to send it to me in Canada. Yikes. Couldn't find it cheap on my side of the border, so thank goodness for my US shipping depot.

I had the exact same situation with my car - previous owner had hit the curb a few too many times and cracked the bumper side mounting channels. I did a rudimentary repair with stainless steel safety wire, but the whole bumper wouldn't line up properly - hence the need for the new inner reinforcement.

If you do go that far, keep in mind that in order to fit the C43 bumper skin, the inner reinforcement has to be trimmed in certain areas. I found the instructions in the WIS, but they are also detailed here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...fogs-w202.html

(just so whoever is reading doesn't have to click around any more than is necessary! )
So I have to get a C280 or whatever inner reinforcement and trim it down??? there isn't one MADE for the C43??? THAT SUCKS!!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Heh...I was actually glad that the bumper reinforcement is just a 202 part and not a C43 specific part. Any part you don't have to pay AMG tax on is good!

The trimming took 5 minutes with a dremel. The reinforcement is all plastic anyway. Piece of cake.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Heh...I was actually glad that the bumper reinforcement is just a 202 part and not a C43 specific part. Any part you don't have to pay AMG tax on is good!

The trimming took 5 minutes with a dremel. The reinforcement is all plastic anyway. Piece of cake.

Good point, could be the exact same part with the AMG logo = $$$$$. As I stated earlier mine were cracked (not terribly) and I "fixed" them with super glue. Took out ALMOST all of the flare but I will need new ones to make it look like it just rolled off the line. Just another part on the list to refresh my black beauty.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Good point, could be the exact same part with the AMG logo = $$$$$. As I stated earlier mine were cracked (not terribly) and I "fixed" them with super glue. Took out ALMOST all of the flare but I will need new ones to make it look like it just rolled off the line. Just another part on the list to refresh my black beauty.
Hey, 503 ... Did you superglue the part on the inside of the bumper or the part attached to the car? I have have the same issue, and I posted about it a couple of years ago. Long story short, I tried to glue it back but it wouldn't stick, so I said screw it and just put the bumper back on. Today I just noticed that it is getting slightly worse, meaning the cracked piece on the bumper side is getting larger, so I want to take it apart tomorrow and try to glue it again. Did you literally use super glue, and how long did it last for you?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
Hey, 503 ... Did you superglue the part on the inside of the bumper or the part attached to the car? I have have the same issue, and I posted about it a couple of years ago. Long story short, I tried to glue it back but it wouldn't stick, so I said screw it and just put the bumper back on. Today I just noticed that it is getting slightly worse, meaning the cracked piece on the bumper side is getting larger, so I want to take it apart tomorrow and try to glue it again. Did you literally use super glue, and how long did it last for you?

I did use regular super glue. The cracks were on the plastic guide rails on the bumper support. It worked great for a couple months and then one of my neighbors nudged my bumper and it broke the glues bond