Shift knob and selector lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Shift knob and selector lights

So how do you remove the shift knob and does anyone know how to change out the lights that light up the gear you are in. Not sure if if it supposed to be this way but "N" doesn't light up.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
So how do you remove the shift knob and does anyone know how to change out the lights that light up the gear you are in. Not sure if if it supposed to be this way but "N" doesn't light up.
you've got a burn notice fron N aka Neutral.

to remove the shiftknob.
unscrew the bottom part of the shiftknob, roundshaped part!
poull up the knob carefully.
then pull up carfully the black gear surrounding with your finger nails.
after that put a flat scrwedriver (tapeduck the screwdriver to avoid scratches)on 1 place end in the wooden tree surround gaps and lift carefully!
then voila the bottompart of the transmission is present.

after this is done I can't help you anymore, sorry!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kowalski
you've got a burn notice fron N aka Neutral.

to remove the shiftknob.
unscrew the bottom part of the shiftknob, roundshaped part!
poull up the knob carefully.
then pull up carfully the black gear surrounding with your finger nails.
after that put a flat scrwedriver (tapeduck the screwdriver to avoid scratches)on 1 place end in the wooden tree surround gaps and lift carefully!
then voila the bottompart of the transmission is present.

after this is done I can't help you anymore, sorry!
So this is the piece I am trying to get at....
Shift knob and selector lights-shifter-lights.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to remove the white piece or how to access the LEDS. There is 2 clear pieces that cover the LEDS, I pried one of them loose but couldn't get it out as it was stuck under the housing for the shift knob. I can see why my shift lights are messed up I just need to access the LEDS..... Can ANYONE point me in the right direction???
Old 06-26-2010, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So this is the piece I am trying to get at....
Attachment 185841

Can anyone tell me how to remove the white piece or how to access the LEDS. There is 2 clear pieces that cover the LEDS, I pried one of them loose but couldn't get it out as it was stuck under the housing for the shift knob. I can see why my shift lights are messed up I just need to access the LEDS..... Can ANYONE point me in the right direction???
Well after 222 views and no answers I decided I would dedicate the night to perusing the net and here is what I had found:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...-broken-2.html

This article was VERY helpful as the WIS seems to be missing a KEY step and I was banging my head against the wall. I do not recommend this to the NOVICE as it is very difficult and you have to pretty much pull apart EVERYTHING. Prying the cover off is VERY DIFFICULT especially if you are trying to do it yourself. I was unsnapping the connectors and putting piece of paper in between to keep them from closing again. I finally got everything torn apart and got a look at the LEDS. My original plan was to re-solder some new LEDS as I noticed one was really dim but after looking at what I had to work with I decided it was not worth it. I am VERY mechanically AND electrically inclined but at the same time I realize when a job is just too difficult. I am going to call the stealership and see how much of my soul they want for the part. Not sure If I can get just the circuit board (probably not) or if I have to get the whole LED/selector unit (probably so) either way the part# is "A 210 545 13 32" Below are some pics of how the job went.

Shift knob and selector lights-gear-display-5.jpg

Shift knob and selector lights-gear-display-4.jpg

Shift knob and selector lights-gear-display-3.jpg

Shift knob and selector lights-gear-display-2.jpg

Shift knob and selector lights-gear-display-1.jpg

I contacted the stealership and I was right.... can't get the circuit board only the whole gear display is available for the LOW LOW price of $100 ..... Nothing is too good for my black beauty so off to the stealership to drop off a piece of my soul. I should of gotten pics of what it looked like before I get the new one but I am DEFINITELY not going to put this back together just to snap pics so the after shots will have to suffice.... I will post the pics as soon as I am done with the project which should be in a couple hours. "N" was SUPER dim pretty much not visible and so was "1" and "2" so we will see if this $100 investment was worth it.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Well after 222 views and no answers I decided I would dedicate the night to perusing the net and here is what I had found:

This article was VERY helpful as the WIS seems to be missing a KEY step and I was banging my head against the wall. I do not recommend this to the NOVICE as it is very difficult and you have to pretty much pull apart EVERYTHING. Prying the cover off is VERY DIFFICULT especially if you are trying to do it yourself. I was unsnapping the connectors and putting piece of paper in between to keep them from closing again. I finally got everything torn apart and got a look at the LEDS. My original plan was to re-solder some new LEDS as I noticed one was really dim but after looking at what I had to work with I decided it was not worth it. I am VERY mechanically AND electrically inclined but at the same time I realize when a job is just too difficult. I am going to call the stealership and see how much of my soul they want for the part. Not sure If I can get just the circuit board (probably not) or if I have to get the whole LED/selector unit (probably so) either way the part# is "A 210 545 13 32" Below are some pics of how the job went.

Attachment 185875

Attachment 185874

Attachment 185873

Attachment 185872

Attachment 185871

I contacted the stealership and I was right.... can't get the circuit board only the whole gear display is available for the LOW LOW price of $100 ..... Nothing is too good for my black beauty so off to the stealership to drop off a piece of my soul. I should of gotten pics of what it looked like before I get the new one but I am DEFINITELY not going to put this back together just to snap pics so the after shots will have to suffice.... I will post the pics as soon as I am done with the project which should be in a couple hours. "N" was SUPER dim pretty much not visible and so was "1" and "2" so we will see if this $100 investment was worth it.

lucky u Gringos having such low prices for MB parts!
in europe the stealership will scam the crap out of any MB owner with high priced parts.

give us the parts numbers for the complete led circuit board!
100 bux is about 800 Swedish kroner, kinda cheap!
In Sweden maybe triple that price of 100 bux?

After you changed them take som snapshots in the dark.
Go with the glow!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lucky u Gringos having such low prices for MB parts!
in europe the stealership will scam the crap out of any MB owner with high priced parts.

give us the parts numbers for the complete led circuit board!
100 bux is about 800 Swedish kroner, kinda cheap!
In Sweden maybe triple that price of 100 bux?

After you changed them take som snapshots in the dark.
Go with the glow!
no part# for circuit board, you can't order it...... Gotta order the whole unit.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

was the whole unit asssembly for 100 bux?
if yes, then that was a cheap priced part!

1 front rotor cost more than 400 dollars in sweden.
you see the fuuked price in Sweden for an 11 years old car!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

was the whole unit asssembly for 100 bux?
if yes, then that was a cheap priced part!

1 front rotor cost more than 400 dollars in sweden.
you see the fuuked price in Sweden for an 11 years old car!

I just got back from the stealership (I might have to stop calling it that as I seem to of made a friend at the parts counter and he hooked me up with the wholesale price knocking $20 of the bill) the unit is only the LED part the W/S switch and gear display needs to be pulled off the old one and put on to the new one. It is real easy as it is just 2 little snaps on both sides. Putting the shifter back together is a *****!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

I just got back from the stealership (I might have to stop calling it that as I seem to of made a friend at the parts counter and he hooked me up with the wholesale price knocking $20 of the bill) the unit is only the LED part the W/S switch and gear display needs to be pulled off the old one and put on to the new one. It is real easy as it is just 2 little snaps on both sides. Putting the shifter back together is a *****!!!
it's nice making new friends at the right places such as stealership!
niceee niceee
Old 06-26-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Attachment 185875

Attachment 185874

Attachment 185873

Attachment 185872

Attachment 185871

UPDATE:
I have successfully re-installed the shifter back into the car and tested it out and it WORKS GREAT!!! It shift's just fine and my entire gear display lights up. During the re-install I noticed my shift linkage bushing was DESTROYED so I ran down to the dealership (no longer calling it the stealership due to my new "friend" discount) and grabbed a new bushing for 3$. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with my shifter or how it shifted but looking at the bushing it DEFINITELY was going to cause something bad to happen. All together it took about 2-3 hours but that was because this was my first time, in the future I should be able to do this in less than hour EASY. I took my shifter apart probably 5 times and I am now the RESIDENT EXPERT on this, if any of you guys have questions FEEL FREE TO ASK. A couple of things to mention:

1.) this is NOT for the novice, once you get your shifter apart there are A LOT of pieces that come out and it is HARD to put them back in.

2.) installing the shift linkage bushing was DIFFICULT and my new friend at the dealership told me it would be. He said there is a tool out there that is basically a modified pair of needle nose pliers. I used regular needle nose pliers and a BUNCH of finger pressure and got it in in about 5 minutes.

3.) I think you might be able to do this without taking out the center console, ashtray, and forward storage tray but it's not worth it. Taking out the center console etc... makes it WAY easier and it's not difficult to remove them anyway.

I am going to take it for a test drive after I get the rest of the trim pieces back in and I will post a pic of the gear display lit up tonight.

Here is a pic of the destroyed and new shift linkage bushings:
Shift knob and selector lights-shift-linkage-bushing-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the new bushing installed:
Shift knob and selector lights-shift-linkage-bushing-2.jpg
Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

soon you will have brand new c43!
you will be the amateur trained master technician for our c43's.

last thing you need is the trunk mat, then your car is complete!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

soon you will have brand new c43!
you will be the amateur trained master technician for our c43's.

last thing you need is the trunk mat, then your car is complete!
Yes I am quickly becoming the shade tree certified mechanic with a degree from the DIY institute of C43....and yes I do NEED the trunk mat
Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:
I took the car out for a test drive and everything works GREAT. My shifter requires a tad bit more strength to actually move the stick and I'm sure that is due to the new shift link bushing and I like it..... I feel like it will be harder to pop out of or into another gear, not that it ever had before. I would like to note that the new gear selector switch doesn't just light up the LEDS to show you what gear you are in but it actually controls the manual shifting. I didn't even think about this but when you are shifting the stick it will only move the linkage when you shift between P,R,N, and D. 4,3,2, and 1 are controlled by the switch, by this I mean if you are manually shifting it is by "wire" the linkage doesn't move. I noticed that my manual shifting is MUCH more responsive during up and down shifts. I down shift on occasion to help with braking or cornering and there would be a delay if I down shifted a couple gears. NOT ANY MORE, it shifts between the gears real quick and I am sure it is due to a better electrical connection as my gear selector switch is BRAND NEW. So what started out as a stupid fix (stupid because I didn't need to do it, the selector lights that were out just BOTHERED me) became a preventative find (the destroyed shift linkage bushing) AND an improvement in shifting. I killed 3 birds with 1 stone and about $85. I will still post the pics as soon as it gets dark out.

Oh I forgot I found about $1.50 behind my ash tray when I pulled it to take out the shifter, so really it was an $83.50 fix
Old 06-27-2010, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)

3.) I think you might be able to do this without taking out the center console, ashtray, and forward storage tray but it's not worth it. Taking out the center console etc... makes it WAY easier and it's not difficult to remove them anyway.
....and you can get to clean (vacuum) the transmission tunnel for probably the first time in 11 years
Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
....and you can get to clean (vacuum) the transmission tunnel for probably the first time in 11 years
Yeah mine wasn't bad at all....
Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pics as promised....

All numbers and letters light up BRIGHT and shifter feels MUCH more sturdy due to new shift linkage bushing.

Shift knob and selector lights-new-gear-display-1.jpg

Shift knob and selector lights-new-gear-display-2.jpg

Shift knob and selector lights-new-gear-display-3.jpg

Shift knob and selector lights-new-gear-display-4.jpg
Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43 AMG
nice!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Banned

Pics as promised....

All numbers and letters light up BRIGHT and shifter feels MUCH more sturdy due to new shift linkage bushing.

Attachment 185922

Attachment 185923

Attachment 185924

Attachment 185925
luuks seksi!