C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Suspension for C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Need the info too if possible, as I want to get an alignement done very soon. Just getting new set of PS2's Saturday
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C300/STi
Hope this helps someone, this is my alignment after installing eibach springs.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension for C43-alig.jpg  

Last edited by juice91si; 05-06-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynocomped C43K, 08 X5
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Need the info too if possible, as I want to get an alignement done very soon. Just getting new set of PS2's Saturday
Get Pilot Super Sport!!!
Well, I'm just saying it because they are new and they claim there tires best on the market today
Click the banner on the bottom of the c36/43 main page

Last edited by Motorsport3; 05-07-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Call them, when I called it forwarded to the guys cell phone and he was very helpful. I checked the box and it has no weight specifications on it.

Here is a pic of the MB Arts rear adjustable camber arm:
Attachment 200661

why did your washers come mounted on both end heads on your camber arms?

my black camber arms didn't have the washers mounted on each end heads!!
I received loose washers on the side which I have to insert with the bolt?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by kowalski
why did your washers come mounted on both end heads on your camber arms?

my black camber arms didn't have the washers mounted on each end heads!!
I received loose washers on the side which I have to insert with the bolt?
Those are not mounted, I put them in and took a picture

Mine came just like yours did but mine were polished not black as they were having a special at the time and the polished are usually more expensive but I got them cheaper than the black ones cost
Old 06-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

my washers came as 8 loose pcs in a fishnet holder looking like a long bullet,
I tried to attach each washer on the screw hole rod end by hand but didn't manage, do these washers go in by them self on each front/back side when tightening the bolt/nut and then sit snug in place?

I have to tell my mekanik what kind of lubricant should be applied when installing the camber arms to avoid squeeking noise when driving?
Is it good to use lithium grease or copper paste on the rod ends?
Those teflon/kevlar self lubricating rod ends are they sensitive ( going bad detoriating) to other chemical ressidue?

Is is necessary to use Loctite lock glue on the camber arm threads when adjusting the length of the rod ends?

Thanks for your help
Old 06-18-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kowalski
my washers came as 8 loose pcs in a fishnet holder looking like a long bullet,
I tried to attach each washer on the screw hole rod end by hand but didn't manage, do these washers go in by them self on each front/back side when tightening the bolt/nut and then sit snug in place?

I have to tell my mekanik what kind of lubricant should be applied when installing the camber arms to avoid squeeking noise when driving?
Is it good to use lithium grease or copper paste on the rod ends?
Those teflon/kevlar self lubricating rod ends are they sensitive ( going bad detoriating) to other chemical ressidue?

Is is necessary to use Loctite lock glue on the camber arm threads when adjusting the length of the rod ends?

Thanks for your help
The pieces came taped to my camber arms, when they are installed they will tighten up.

As far as grease or loctite I couldn't tell you as I had a shop install them but it sounds like you might want to find a different shop to install them as they should already know the answers to all of these questions.

I dropped off over 56 aftermarket suspension components to the shop I went to and they installed everything in 2 days with no questions asked. It's not like you are asking to install something that an experienced mechanic has never seen, these are camber arms...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

long time ago I wrote that adjustable camber arms are not very common for MB cars in Sweden.
therefore no experiance about them!

I'm asking, if my mekanik use the wrong lube on the teflon/kevlar rod ends and by that way ruin the self lubricating rubbers?
which lube is the most harmless to teflon/kevlar bushings?

If he doesn't use any lube I might get annoying squeeks?
we don't want that!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Look like these don't need any type of special lubrication and cheaper than what you can buy ready made
http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...ar-camber-arms
Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look like these don't need any type of special lubrication and cheaper than what you can buy ready made
Just checked out the website and sure enough you can buy everything you need for $80 (the savemore code is expired and no longer works for the $5 discount)

I would imagine the camber arms from MBArts are WAY more durable and personally would feel more comfortable knowing that they have been tested, below are the MBArts and Speedway adjustable camber arm specs:

MBArts adjustable camber arm specs:

1" diameter 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum
  • 74,000-78,000 psi tensile strength
  • 63,000-69,000 psi yield strength
QA1 chromoly rod ends
  • 17,955 lb. radial static load rating
  • Ball specifications
    • Heat Treated alloy steel
    • Hard Chrome Plated
  • Race specifications
    • Self-lubricating Teflon/Kevlar race
The MB Arts adjustable rear camber arms have several advantages over the stamped steel units from the factory:
  • MB Arts adjustable rear camber arms are lighter and stronger than the OEM arms.
  • MB Arts adjustable rear camber arms use bushings that last longer than the OEM rubber bushings. And if the rod ends wear out, you can replace them without replacing the entire camber arm.

Speedway DIY camber arm specs:

5/8" Tie Rod Sleeves are made out of 6061 -T6 aluminum. 7/8" O.D. 5/8" RH and LH fine threads

These Mr. Roadster rod ends come in either forged steel or fully polished investment cast stainless steel for superior strength and durability.All rod ends feature a 5/8"-18 threaded shank and the nylon bushing has a steel sleeve that accepts a 1/2" bolt. Choose from straight, 7° or 11° angled shanks with right hand threads.

So the MBArts camber arms are 1/8" thicker and have chromoly rod ends that have self lubricating teflon/kevlar

The DIY camber arms have either forged or investment cast steel rod ends

I can tell you (as I work in a steel foundry) that chromoly would be your first choice as it has incredible tensile and radial static load ratings

Forged steel would be your next choice as the steel is formed using extreme pressure which in turn makes it stronger than cast steel

Investment cast steel is just cast steel where the mold is usually made out of wax, this would produce a weaker form of steel than the forged method

Steel is a term used for a large family of metals, and consists of iron, carbon, and other materials such as aluminum etc...

Chromoly is a form of steel but is an alloy that consists mainly of chromium and molybdenum and is INCREDIBLY strong after heat treating

Another thing to note is many of the lower priced camber arms use inexpensive, hollow threaded aluminum or steel tubes, rather than a more expensive, solid T6061-T6 aluminum bar (like the MBArts camber arms use). Threaded tubes are made for sprint cars, not road use. And threaded tubes do not have the same strength rating that is required for daily drivers, which are heavier than sprint cars. In addition, threaded tubes are designed to collapse upon moderate impact to prevent damage to expensive suspension components. By using a threaded tube, you put yourself and your car at risk when doing something as common as driving over a pothole.

I question if those aluminum tubes on Speedway are hollow, I'm guessing they are...

Long story short these DIY camber arms might be sufficient for street use but I would go with either the MBArts or Speedybenz camber arms for piece of mind.

Last edited by 503C43 ////AMG; 06-18-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 AM
Banned

one of the dudes in this thread used white lithium grease when he installed his camber arms?
is it a good non harmful lubrication that lasts for long time when applied?