C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

c43 stop lamp issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
c43 stop lamp issue

hi all new to all this any help would be great abs bas and esp light on all the time on my c43 any way got my car plugged into a star system stop lamp came up so ok got a new one from mercedes fitted it still no different took it back to the garage plugged it in again reset the codes and still stop lamp code comes on but i have noticed something when i start the car with my foot on the brake no lights esp works well u can turn it on and off soon as i let go of the brakes abs bas and esp lights come on and wont go off any ideas ?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by markyp10
hi all new to all this any help would be great abs bas and esp light on all the time on my c43 any way got my car plugged into a star system stop lamp came up so ok got a new one from mercedes fitted it still no different took it back to the garage plugged it in again reset the codes and still stop lamp code comes on but i have noticed something when i start the car with my foot on the brake no lights esp works well u can turn it on and off soon as i let go of the brakes abs bas and esp lights come on and wont go off any ideas ?
Check the brake pedal switch for the ABS and ESP problem, you might need to replace it. For the tail light problem check where the bulb plugs in and make sure the bulb has good contact, it is a common issue. Sometimes the plastic housing melts a little causing the bulb to not make contact.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
For the tail light problem check where the bulb plugs in and make sure the bulb has good contact, it is a common issue. Sometimes the plastic housing melts a little causing the bulb to not make contact.
I had the same problem with the rear right bulb. Tapping on the side cured the problem, but as it was happening all the time, I changed the bulb. No more problem. Now its starting on the left rear side This happens to be the first time I didn't change the two bulbs at the same time. I always do this as a preventive measure to avoid later hassles.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM

c43 amg
hi lads and thanks for replying i meant when i apply the brakes on start up the brake lights are on but everything works as it should no abs lights or bas esp lights on the dash sorry for the confusion
Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
hi lads and thanks for replying i meant when i apply the brakes on start up the brake lights are on but everything works as it should no abs lights or bas esp lights on the dash sorry for the confusion
Check the brake pedal switch...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 AM

c43 amg
put new one on 3 days ago from mercedes and still same and star keeps saying stop lamp switch dun the lock to lock reset even tryed letting the star system clear codes this is doing my head in cleaned the conections still same ? why when my brake lights are on its ok but when the brake lights are off it throws the lights on could new brake switch be faulty how can i check ?

Last edited by markyp10; 10-06-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
put new one on 3 days ago from mercedes and still same and star keeps saying stop lamp switch dun the lock to lock reset even tryed letting the star system clear codes this is doing my head in cleaned the conections still same ? why when my brake lights are on its ok but when the brake lights are off it throws the lights on could new brake switch be faulty how can i check ?
some lightbulbs give out less power than they should, so it gives faulty information to your ECU, maybe it's just a simple problem?
try changing all the bulbs you had replaced recently
Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM

c43 amg
just to up date and thanks everyone for their input after weeks of trying allsorts i have finally sorted the esp and abs lights out they now come on with ignition and go out when engine started can now turn esp on and off when i want the cause new stop lamp switch wasnt working properly i took it apart and fixed it myself they are a really **** design thanks everyone