problem starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1996 Mercedes C36 AMG
problem starting

okay i will just get right into the problem
i have to turn the key to the second position, just before turning over the engine then put my car into neutral and then i will be able to turn the engine over and it starts right up.
so, why do i have to go through this process?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 PM

1996 Mercedes C36 AMG
anyone??
Old 12-16-2010, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Don't clearly understand the problem, but check the ignition cylinder lock
Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
So it won't start in park but it will in neutral?

If the gear level doesn't feel loose then you need a new starter lockout switch, it's bolted on the side of the transmission.

If it does feel loose then check the gear selector bushes (linkage between the gear lever and the transmission, replace as require. If problem still persists then try as above.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech

If the gear level doesn't feel loose then you need a new starter lockout switch, it's bolted on the side of the transmission.

If it does feel loose then check the gear selector bushes (linkage between the gear lever and the transmission, replace as require. If problem still persists then try as above.
I did this when I replaced the electronic gear selector thing. The bushing is like $2 and pretty easy to replace, you will probably have to pull out the gear selector assembly as it requires some strength to push the bushing in, there are pictures of it in a thread I started. Mine was DESTROYED and needed it badly although I wasn't having the same issues you were so your problem might not have anything to do with the bushing. It did make my shifting SUPER crisp...
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 PM

1996 Mercedes C36 AMG
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech

it does not start in park but it will in neutral
and
the gear shifter doesnt really feel loose
what would loose feel like?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Neutral safety switch.

There is a wiring harness connector under the hood next to the fender (on the other side of the ABS pump). I'll dig out my wiring diagrams, however, you can easily put a jumper wire in the circuit at this connector junction and completely bypass the neutral safety switch. You will either rule it out or find it to be the culprit. My money is on the NSS. I'll post back tmrw with a quick how to once I confirm the pin-outs of the connector. (X25 If I recall correctly?)

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 AM
WTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be interested in that jumper wire sequence to rule out my own problem. I had the problem of the car not starting in Park (occaisionally) so I got under there and replaced one of the bushings (the one forward on the transmission shift linkage) but wasn't able to get the one in the back so I put it back together and now it won't start in park or neutral. Nothing. I've taken the linkage back apart and made sure it was in the correct locations (Park, neutral) but still nothing. As far as I could tell I didn't break or disconnect anything while I was under there. Not sure what the problem is if it's not then NSS. Any help?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
My jumper is still in there, let me take a few shots for you. All you need is one wire about 6 inches long and the ability to twist it or jam it into the two designated pins to bypass. Remember though, you will be able to start your car while in gear, as the "Safety" is bypassed so be sure your lever is in Park or Neutral upon starting. If this trick does not help the problem, the neutral safety switch isn't your issue. If I dug the schematics out I could give you two pins to check for continuity on in park and in neutral but the jumper method is a sure-fire way to rule it out or rule it as the problem and not even have to fix it . I'm just waiting till summer.

Photos asap
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Check if you

have back up lights. If not you know it is the nss.
Make sure plugged in. It can be adjusted.You might have knocked it loose working down there.
unlike the 5speed 722.6 with the nss built into the shift module,yours is on the side of the trans and only 60 bucks to replace if dead.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM
WTB

Originally Posted by appatula
My jumper is still in there, let me take a few shots for you. All you need is one wire about 6 inches long and the ability to twist it or jam it into the two designated pins to bypass. Remember though, you will be able to start your car while in gear, as the "Safety" is bypassed so be sure your lever is in Park or Neutral upon starting. If this trick does not help the problem, the neutral safety switch isn't your issue. If I dug the schematics out I could give you two pins to check for continuity on in park and in neutral but the jumper method is a sure-fire way to rule it out or rule it as the problem and not even have to fix it . I'm just waiting till summer.

Photos asap
Thanks, I looked up the part and noticed the small black arm on it in the photos. I remember seeing this laying around my work area last night. I didn't know where it came from and couldn't see where it broke off but I'm sure that's the problem now. BUT, I could still use that jumper so I can get it started to put it on my trailer. I need to transport it tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Neutral safety switch bypass mod, NSS mod.

PITA to get in there, anyhow here is my setup. Speaks for itself. Jumper from bottom to top of the connector cluster located on the innder drivers side fender right behinds the ABS unit. I have the top connector cover off (this slides off once you seperate the harness) so you can see the wire colors. Be careful if this wiring harness is not new....if you aren't sure, don't do it! I did this with a wiring diagram and double checked pin locations on the diagram whilist isolating the switch with a multimeter in the first place its connector X25 or X26 I think.....anyway here's a go with the pics:

Hope it gets you up and running, I made it through New Englands record snowfall this year like this. Been about 4+ months.

BTW I'm colored blind so just go by the colors, dad says Purple up top to Grey down at the bottom, hope they are the same! If not, post back and I'll look at a specific wiring diagram for the year of your C.

Last edited by appatula; 03-15-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM

1996 e320
I have a 1996 e320 with the same problem. Except, it won't start in neutral or park anymore. Does anyone have pictures of how to jump the NSS? Could this be the problem? I just need to get my car into the driveway before 7:00 tonight. Any input will help a lot!

Thanks!