C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

How often do you service your AC system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Question How often do you service your AC system?

Why isn't the ECC included for service when doing the A or B maintance service on our cars at the stealership?

How often should the receiver drier, a round aluminium tube placed below driver side lens be changed?
I'm not sure but I think I red somewhere that it needs to be changed after 2 years, or does it need o be changed everytime you do some kind of service on the AC system, or am being I wrong here?

Parts like condenser, drier, evaporator, regassing the compressor and other stuff don't they need any servicing?
When the EC light stays RED then I know something is wrong!
But other than that what else can be done to maintain the ECC system?

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 12-30-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Hi Kowalski,
My two MB's are on auto AC on 12months/12months. I just fiddle with the temperature control from time to time to increase or decrease temperature depending on the situation. Otherwise, I think asking the workshop an AC control during a A or B service at least once every 2 years is sufficient. Usually this includes a bit of new gas and lubricant, then you are stone cold ready for the hot season. I did however have to change the expansion tank and compressor pump on my 240T two years ago, and since then NO problem whatsoever.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
It's doesn't need any maintainence as such. When there is a problem or it underperforms then get it "serviced" or looked at. These days it's best to get the system topped up/serviced every 3-4 yrs even if it has no issues as there is always a natural leakage of gas.

The drier (canister behind headlight) should be changed after any component replacement, Otherwise I'd replace it every 5yrs anyway. They're cheap enough and easy to access, I change them on any car when system is regassed if it's unknown when it was last replaced.

If the EC light is on then the system has detected low refrigerant and shut the system down. You will need to get the system checked for leaks before recharging the system, the most common spot being the front compressor seal.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by kowalski
Why isn't the ECC included for service when doing the A or B maintance service on our cars at the stealership?

How often should the receiver drier, a round aluminium tube placed below driver side lens be changed?
I'm not sure but I think I red somewhere that it needs to be changed after 2 years, or does it need o be changed everytime you do some kind of service on the AC system, or am being I wrong here?

Parts like condenser, drier, evaporator, regassing the compressor and other stuff don't they need any servicing?
When the EC light stays RED then I know something is wrong!
But other than that what else can be done to maintain the ECC system?
What do you mean when the EC light stays red??? What EC light?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
When the AC is off or faulty, the little light on the control panel (3rd button if I remember correctly with EC labeled). See picture below
Attached Thumbnails How often do you service your AC system?-s7001762.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Hi Kowalski,
My two MB's are on auto AC on 12months/12months. I just fiddle with the temperature control from time to time to increase or decrease temperature depending on the situation. Otherwise, I think asking the workshop an AC control during a A or B service at least once every 2 years is sufficient. Usually this includes a bit of new gas and lubricant, then you are stone cold ready for the hot season. I did however have to change the expansion tank and compressor pump on my 240T two years ago, and since then NO problem whatsoever.
Yeah, I always let my ECC be ON when I drive my car!
Here is a save up some gas tip:
B4 I start my car from deadcold first thing in the morning, I turn on the ignition to 2nd position, then I hit the EC button to block the AC from running b4 I start the car, this way I save alot of gas every year!
A C43 is very thirsty and why waisting unecessary gas every time you start your car from deadcold!
You check your gas needle on your clusterhaus, how it falls when you start your car, from deadcold your car sux alot of gas with the AC on.
After I have been driving my car for 5 - 10 minutes until it gets vorking temperature I put my AC in action unblocking it to cool me doooooooooown
You'll notice how much gas you save before you start your vehicle.

Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
It's doesn't need any maintainence as such. When there is a problem or it underperforms then get it "serviced" or looked at. These days it's best to get the system topped up/serviced every 3-4 yrs even if it has no issues as there is always a natural leakage of gas.

The drier (canister behind headlight) should be changed after any component replacement, Otherwise I'd replace it every 5yrs anyway. They're cheap enough and easy to access, I change them on any car when system is regassed if it's unknown when it was last replaced.

If the EC light is on then the system has detected low refrigerant and shut the system down. You will need to get the system checked for leaks before recharging the system, the most common spot being the front compressor seal.
I was thinking to get me a new condenser and a new drier (canister)
maybe a new radiator just for fun!
when I inspect my radiator it looks like it's having some kind of greenish/bluish gunk on bottom ends when looking deep down in the jungle, it looks like aluminium rot or something?

What's the best thing to do?
I have my car stored in winter in a non heated garage, I don't start my car for 6 months, and what happens to the AC system?
Should I start the car and let it run on idle?
This is not an eco friendly procedure!
And it wears down the engine if letting the car sit on idle for 10 minutes.
I used to do this on and off a few years ago, but for the last 2 or 3 years I haven't started my car at all for 6 months, just letting the battery getting maintained by my super battery charger CTEK7000 a swedish smorgasboard charger, Buy this charger and you won't be dissapointed!
Among the best chargers in the world!

I have heard that gaskets can burst in the AC system if not run regularly, running the AC lubricates the gaskets in the system.
So what can be done here if I don't start the car at all for 6 months?
I guess nothing?

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
What do you mean when the EC light stays red??? What EC light?
On your AC HU you can block the AC by hitting the EC switch!
Then you'll notice how many ponies you have in your C43.
With the AC in action your car gets slower like having 306 donkies instead of 306 ponies in your car.

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 12-30-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
If I actually cared how much fuel my C43 uses then I wouldleave it in the garage and driv my diesel every day. It uses what it uses and I'm comfortable every time I drive it, no mater what the weather.

If you have leaking radiator then replace it, unless the condesor is leaking then I wouldn't bother replacing that. I would change the dryer though. If you have the radiator out then I'd suggest replacing the top drivebelt idler pulley, it's harder to do with the radiator in.

No real need to start it over winter, better just leave it in storage. Orings will leak a little but it's not worth worrying about.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
If I actually cared how much fuel my C43 uses then I wouldleave it in the garage and driv my diesel every day. It uses what it uses and I'm comfortable every time I drive it, no mater what the weather.

If you have leaking radiator then replace it, unless the condesor is leaking then I wouldn't bother replacing that. I would change the dryer though. If you have the radiator out then I'd suggest replacing the top drivebelt idler pulley, it's harder to do with the radiator in.

No real need to start it over winter, better just leave it in storage. Orings will leak a little but it's not worth worrying about.

when driving the car, it doesn't drink alot if been driven normal, but stomp the pedal it's a heavy drunk!
but that's the negative of the funpart owning an AMG,
I don't wanna waste my gas with the ac ON when starting my car from deadcold, it consumes alot that way, after 5 - 10 minutes after warm up driving, my ac is ON for the rest of the day when I'm out with my car.
Also sometimes I forget to fill her up and when I'm low on gas I see how the gas needle drops heavily and the yellow light starts flashing!
So there's a risk getting stranded on the road before I come near a gas station.
gas price is steep in europe, gotta think economical when starting the car from dead cold.

I had no leaks until the day I stored my car for winter, but who knows next year what comes?
radiator looks kinda ugly on certain parts at the bottom of the radiator with some discoloration gunk, but it's not leaking yet.

So the drier is a wear n tear part that needs to be replaced after a few years?
MB service instructions doesn't say anything about this?
Thanks

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 12-31-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
You run the a/c

a few minutes every week even in the winter months or in storage. That keeps the oil in the system fluid and throughout the system(prevents the gaskets and rings from leaks.)

You replace the r/drier if you have the need to break into the system for repairs or the system is tested for a leak and evacuated for repair and refilled.
It is not a normal schedule maint. item.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!