C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Time to replace suspension for the C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB C43 AMG
Time to replace suspension for the C43

So I got a flat last week, got the car fixed and realigned. When I came back to pick the car, the mechanic told me that my shocks and struts were cooked. Normal you'll tell me after 137,000 miles on stock suspension. It's true that it felt like I was riding on freakin' wood. So I decided to go for it and change a bunch of things before the harsh winter shows up here in Mass.

I bought the H&R Touring cup suspension kit for the C43. It's H&R (sport) spring combined with Yellow Koni shocks that have been repainted grey and rebadged H&R to suit the package. In addition to that I bought new tie rod ends, a new steering damper and new ball joints to have a better steering feel. I will have everything installed but the end of next week the later. The suspension kit is supposed to lower the car of about 1.5'' all around.

Does anyone have such a set up (H&R touring cup kit)? I read a lot of reviews on different cars (german only) and the reviews seemed to be really good. If not, I guess my car will be the test bed for this setup !

Cheers
Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
In Europe, it seems a popular suspension kit is the H&R springs and Bilstein B8 shocks. The B8's are a short version shock and work better with the shorter springs. These are -25mm over stock European OE springs. When looking for either springs of B8's, you need to check with the w208 CLK55 model as the Bilstein factory catalogue no longer lists these shocks for the w202 c43.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
Thanks for the answer. That's what I've seen from reading many threads about different suspension setups. H&R and Bilstein are indeed very often mentioned, especially in Europe and I guess because Bilstein was providing the stock shocks! My mechanic confirmed me that this H&R touring cup kit is working just fine for C43. I also did my own research for a while before buying it and the C43 is listed on H&R website here: http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...ind3&MakeID=25.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Does this kit fit the c36 96? because there c36 kit is for 94-95 models. And is the drop compared to euro height or us? I want to drop my euro c36 +-1 inch
Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
I'm sorry but I don't know what would be your possibilities for a 1996 euro C36. I guess the best thing is to give those guys a call (toll free :: (888) 827-8881 phone :: (360) 738-888) and they might able to help you.

Otherwise I'd look for Eibach, Koni, or Bilstein. Maybe one of those guys has some comparable offerings that might able to fit your C36.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by a.depuineuf
I also did my own research for a while before buying it and the C43 is listed on H&R website here: http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...ind3&MakeID=25.
Yes, they are quoted on the US site, but not in the official factory catalogue in Deutschland under w202:
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...1&30=74&31=520
but under w208 55AMG:
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...1&30=74&31=520
Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Take some pic's when it's finished ...If you dont mind me asking how much was the total kit? Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
Originally Posted by 99CEEFOURTHREE
Take some pic's when it's finished ...If you dont mind me asking how much was the total kit? Thanks!
Yes I'll take some pictures. I have to take some side pictures before too, to show the drop. The overall kit was like $700 + shipping. I could have saved a few bucks but buying spring and shocks separately but I liked the idea of having the shocks and spring being developed to work perfectly together.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
Btw, I forgot but I have 2 or 3 pics in my album on my public profile. You can see how "high" it seats right now !
Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Yes I'll take some pictures. I have to take some side pictures before too, to show the drop. The overall kit was like $700 + shipping. I could have saved a few bucks but buying spring and shocks separately but I liked the idea of having the shocks and spring being developed to work perfectly together.
I believe you made a great choice
Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
I hope so. I can't wait to have it installed. It's like I'm paying even more attention to the small annoying issues with my stock suspension ! It's should be installed next week.

I have one slight concern though. I hope the car will still pass the MOT test here in Mass. I think it should be fine since the car seats pretty high now and the drop should only be 1.5''
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope so. I can't wait to have it installed. It's like I'm paying even more attention to the small annoying issues with my stock suspension ! It's should be installed next week.

I have one slight concern though. I hope the car will still pass the MOT test here in Mass. I think it should be fine since the car seats pretty high now and the drop should only be 1.5''
Don't forget to get a full suspension alignement done shortly after installation (shortly = 100 miles) and the suspension settles. You will be amazed after
Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
Yeah that was my plan. I'll do that after changing my tie rod ends, steering damper and ball joints too. I recently had my car realigned and got a one-year unlimited free alignments
Old 10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah that was my plan. I'll do that after changing my tie rod ends, steering damper and ball joints too. I recently had my car realigned and got a one-year unlimited free alignments
Great deal lucky you specially if the work done is serious
Old 10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5

I bet that claim of 1.5" is based off of the euro spec springs. My Vogtlands claimed a 1.4" drop and wound up being more than that even with the largest spring pads available.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
Bad news, The H&R Touring cup kit is not available anymore in the US for the car ... out of stock! I can't wait 6 weeks to get one so I guess I'll go with H&R sport springs and Bilstein sport shocks.

The B8 if i'm correct should fit the C43? More updates soon ...

I'm getting secondary cats and resonator delete on Thursday. I'll replace that with a Y pipe and then a straight pipe to the stock muffler.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Bad news, The H&R Touring cup kit is not available anymore in the US for the car ... out of stock! I can't wait 6 weeks to get one so I guess I'll go with H&R sport springs and Bilstein sport shocks.

The B8 if i'm correct should fit the C43? More updates soon ...

I'm getting secondary cats and resonator delete on Thursday. I'll replace that with a Y pipe and then a straight pipe to the stock muffler.
If you search this forum I have a thread on suspension for the C43, it has the part numbers for the bilsteins.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The B8 if i'm correct should fit the C43?

Yes, under w208 clk55 numbers

Nice sound I guarantee

Check 503C43's thread
Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM

'99 C43
a.d

from the 'for what it's worth' files...

I've read on these forums that the H&R springs and Bilstein Sports are a pretty stiff setup that some were uncomfortable with on a daily driver. Sounds like that would be a good solution for a performance application, and it may be great for your preferences.

If you don't want that firm of a ride, the OEM "Euro" springs and Bilstein HD's are a good solution. I put those on my C43, and the ride feels exactly like stock. The performance is fine for anything I do on the street. With those springs, and #1 pads, it sits as low as you could practically want - especially in the front (1 finger gap over the tire). I tried to put my car up on my Rhino ramps recently, and the front bumper cover would not even clear those fairly gradual ramps. On the other hand, it never scrapes on speed bumps nor hits the bump stops - pretty amazing.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM

1999 MB C43 AMG
Originally Posted by John-in-Dallas
a.d

I've read on these forums that the H&R springs and Bilstein Sports are a pretty stiff setup that some were uncomfortable with on a daily driver. Sounds like that would be a good solution for a performance application, and it may be great for your preferences.

If you don't want that firm of a ride, the OEM "Euro" springs and Bilstein HD's are a good solution. I put those on my C43, and the ride feels exactly like stock. The performance is fine for anything I do on the street. With those springs, and #1 pads, it sits as low as you could practically want - especially in the front (1 finger gap over the tire). I tried to put my car up on my Rhino ramps recently, and the front bumper cover would not even clear those fairly gradual ramps. On the other hand, it never scrapes on speed bumps nor hits the bump stops - pretty amazing.
Thanks for the info. I have to say that even though this car is my daily driver, I only drive 20 miles round trip per day and barely drive over the week end.

I guess I will try this setup and if it's too stiff I'll change the shocks. I don't mind the stiffness, what concern me a bit more is the ride height ... I don't use the car heavily so I don't mind a more "racy" setup.

Right now I just can't wait to have my sec cats and reso removed on Thursday !

I will try post some pics of the exhaust and the suspension once done.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
22 X3, 21 330e, 97 M3, 97 C36 (sold), but on the hunt for a clean, low-mile C43!
a.d

Pics of this set-up? preferably a side shot to see the stance...raked at all?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
a.d

buddy, you are not quite correct about springpads.
I thought I had factory supplied #2 = 9mm pads all 4 corners it turned out I had #1 all 4 corners with eurosprings/shock combo, I had a cool stance on my car b4, lower front and a tad higher @ rear.
I had my front suspension replaced this summer, my teck dude replaced my front springpads to new #1 front pads and left the old ones @ rear.
Car is now raised on front and has an even level stance because of new front pads and old rear pads!!
Car looks fookkin' ugly now!

Next teim when I do rear suspension I will go back to my old front spring pads with a new alignment or if I go with lowering kit suspension/shox combo I have to get thicker pads avoiding scraping?

lesson learned: my car raised with new front #1 pads!!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
UPDATE: Received the billi sports, H&R sports, tie rod ends, and steering damper. I will have everything mounted by next Friday.

Will post some pics after the mod.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE: Received the billi sports, H&R sports, tie rod ends, and steering damper. I will have everything mounted by next Friday.

Will post some pics after the mod.
Good keep the pics coming
Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM

1999 MB C43 AMG
UPDATE: After way too many man hours, the new shocks, springs, tie rod end and ball joints are in (they forgot the steering damper ). Most of the bolts were frozen so they had to heat the bolts so that they expand and then take them out.

I'm getting my alignment tomorrow but I can already say that the car feels a thousand times tighter than before. The car is stiffer and jumps in the corners without a hint of body-roll. So much nicer to drive and much more enjoyable.
I love the way to car feels but it's real stiff, I took my friends for a ride and after 5 min they complained about their backs ! I will keep it that way for now because I only drive 20 miles top a day and I love how stiff the car is but in the future I might go back to stock Bilstein and not sport. The main issue are the roads here in mass which suck and are full of cracks and pot holes.

The car seats very low though, there is not even a finger gap between the tires and the wheel arches. It's a bit too low for me and I guess I will try to play with the spring pads to gain few mm if I can. I need to check which pads I'm running as of today.

Here are the long awaited pictures of the car with the new set up. What do you guys think ?
Attached Thumbnails Time to replace suspension for the C43-p1070068.jpg   Time to replace suspension for the C43-p1070070.jpg   Time to replace suspension for the C43-p1070072.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time to replace suspension for the C43