C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43 Bad head gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
C43 Bad head gasket

Hey guys, unfortunately after about a week of ownership it is apparent that one or both of the head gaskets on my C43 are bad. The previous owner put in a bunch of cooling system stuff so I'm guessing his wife(her car) overheated it.

I'm in the process of getting the WIS to work and will be ordering parts. What kind of stuff am I looking at for while I'm in there. Anything specific to this engine that isn't obvious (ie head gasket, vcg, head bolts, etc).

Ah, if I just had the extra money for a 5.5..
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM

1998 c43 amg
Ive got a good c43 motor extra

I live in northern cal and have a very solid c43 motor with 102k on it left over from my 5.5 transplant I would sell you cheap if you like---already has lots of new gaskets etc as I refreshed it before going hog wild on my conversion.
other than that if you want to do your own head gaskets, just go to an mb parts online type site and look at the diagrams there---Its pretty much straight forward I believe---get the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, if you are already in there you should replace your plugs while all the top of the motor is off, and any other rubber thing in site---hope that helps---bummer on the car being bunk. mine was too when i bought it but I stuck with it and now am happy
Old 10-24-2012, 02:06 PM

C43
I think I'm going to take it apart and see how bad it is and go from there. Does anybody know what I'm looking at for the head bolt socket? I can't seem to find what they are exactly.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM

98 C43
If you are going to tackle this job a good reference site is http://www.alldatadiy.com
The images are from the site and it has detailed information on how to do everything. The second image shows the location of the head bolts. They are buried!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM

98 C43
Below is some of the data that went with the above images and there is much more. Well worth the $20.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

CAUTION: See notes on self-locking nuts and bolts.

DANGER:
Risk of accident. Accidents may result if the vehicle starts off unintentionally with the engine running. Risk of injury as working around the engine during start-up or while running may result in contusions and burns.
Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving. Wear closed and snug-fitting work clothes. Do not grasp hot or rotating parts.
Risk of explosion from hydrogen gas. Risk of poisoning and caustic burns from swallowing battery electrolyte. Risk of injury to eyes and skin suffering caustic burns from battery electrolyte or from contact with damaged lead acid batteries.
No fire, sparks, open flames or smoking. Wear acid-resistant gloves, clothing and glasses. Pour battery electrolyte only into suitable and appropriately marked containers.
1 Disconnect ground cable of battery.
NOTE: Installation:
After connecting read out fault memory, code radio and normalize power window.
Vehicles with stationary heater, adjust time display on stationary heater.
2 Remove engine compartment paneling.
DANGER:
Risk of injury to skin and eyes suffering scalding from contact with hot coolant spray. Risk of poisoning from swallowing coolant.
Do not open cooling system unless coolant temperature is below 90 degrees C. Open cap slowly and release the pressure. Do not pour coolant into beverage bottles. Wear protective gloves, protective clothing and eye protection.
3 Drain coolant.
NOTE: At radiator.
4 Remove engine trim panel or cleaner.
NOTE:
Model 129, 202.033/093, 208.370/374/470, 210.074/274.
The air cleaner is integrated in the engine cover. Remove engine cover or air cleaner by lifting vertically up and off the cylinder head covers.
5 Remove viscous fan (1)
NOTE: Right-hand thread.
6 Remove fan shroud (2).
7 Attach guard plate for radiator/condenser.
8 Remove air cleaner housing (4)
Model 210.070/270.
9 Remove resonance pipe (5) together with resonance body (6).
CAUTION: Do not damage plastic plate.
NOTE:
The resonance pipe is attached at the rear at the Intake manifold with a plastic plate.
Separate plug connection of hot film mass air flow sensor (HFM-SFI) for this step and Unbolt resonance pipe at cylinder head cover.
10 Remove hot film mass air flow sensor (HFM-SFI)
DANGER:
Risk of explosion if ignition takes place, risk of poisoning caused by inhaling fuel vapors or swallowing fuel as well as risk of injury to skin and eyes exposed to fuel.
Fire, sparks, open flames or smoking forbidden. Pour fuels only into suitable and appropriately marked containers. Wear protective clothing when handling fuel.
11 Disconnect fuel line at fuel rail.
NOTE: Release fuel pressure through service valve!
Collect fuel!
12 Remove ignition coils (8, 10).
13 Remove cylinder head covers (7, 9).
14 Remove intake manifold (13)
CAUTION:
The intake manifold system must not be disassembled.
Installation: On vehicles with engine damage, the intake manifold must be examined for swarf before being installed and any swarf present must be removed.
NOTE: Remove intake manifold together with fuel rail.
15 Remove camshaft position sensor (14)
NOTE: Only necessary if right cylinder head is removed.
16 Remove poly V-belt (3)
NOTE: Installation: Lock tensioning device with a drift or pin (diameter 5 mm ).
17 Detach coolant line (15) at left cylinder head.
NOTE:
On model 202.093/033 an additional coolant line is attached at the right cylinder head.
The coolant line of the right cylinder head runs to an external transmission oil cooler which is located on the right behind the front molding.
18 Disconnect exhaust system from exhaust manifold
CAUTION: Installation: On vehicles with engine damage the exhaust system must be examined for swarf and any swarf present removed before installing.
19 Position crankshaft to 40 degrees after ignition TDC of cylinder 1
CAUTION: Engine must not be cranked back.
NOTE: Rotate engine at crankshaft in direction of rotation until 40 degrees marking on belt pulley/vibration damper is aligned with marking on timing case cover. The grooves on the camshafts must be pointing toward the inner V.
20 Lock camshafts with locating plates.
21 Remove oil filter housing (18) together with oil-water heat exchanger.
22 Remove chain tensioner (12)
23 Remove camshaft sprockets (16).
CAUTION: If the camshaft sprockets are removed, the engine must no longer be cranked otherwise the timing chain might jam.
NOTE:
Model 129, 208 with engine 113: Tie timing chain tight on both camshaft sprockets with cable straps.
All except model 129, 208 with engine 113.
Right-hand camshaft sprocket: Tie timing chain tight on camshaft sprocket with cable strap.
Left-hand camshaft sprocket: Mark camshaft sprocket to timing chain and remove camshaft sprocket.
It is not possible for the timing chain to jump across at the crankshaft and balancing shaft.
After installing: Inspect basic position of camshafts. If necessary after checking: Set the basic position of camshafts.
24 Remove camshaft bearing bridges (17)
25 Unscrew bolts (20) of cylinder head to timing case cover.
26 Slacken cylinder head bolts (21) in stages, unscrew.
CAUTION:
Slacken cylinder head bolts as specified in slackening diagram once engine has cooled down.
Installation: Observe tightening pattern and tightening instructions of cylinder head bolts. Oil thread and head contact surface of cylinder head bolts.
27 Remove cylinder head.
CAUTION: Installation:
On Engine 113 it is necessary to apply sealing compound on the left cylinder head gasket because of porous points in the left cylinder head.
See Information on applying sealant to cylinder head gasket.
NOTE:
See Information on cylinder head contact surface.
The sealant must be applied within 10 minutes.
28 Inspect version of cylinder head gasket.
See Assignment of cylinder head gasket.
29 Check cylinder head bolts (21).
30 Clean sealing surfaces, inspect for cracks, shrink holes and flatness, clean threaded holes.
CAUTION: Pay attention to dowel sleeves (26) for locating the cylinder head.
Loctite sealing compound 5900
NOTE:
Sealing surfaces of crankcase and cylinder head are provided with an 0.8 mm thick silicone layer during series production. Silicone sealant is applied in the gasket area when carrying out repairs only if shrink holes are present.
The sealant must be applied within 10 minutes.
31 Install in the reverse order.
32 Run engine and inspect for leaks.
33 Inspect cooling system for leaks.
NOTE: Warm up engine to operating temperature and then inspect cooling system or leaks.
34 Read diagnostic trouble code memory and erase
NOTE:
Stored faults which can result from cables being disconnected or from simulation during removal and installation or test work, have to be processed and erased in the fault memories after completing the work.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM

C43
Wow, thanks for that info. Right away I see the right hand thread on the viscous coupling and that alone saved me a bunch of trouble. And something about sealing compound? That's something I've never seen on a head gasket.

I do have the WIS for instructions but I find the interface pretty non-intuitive. I'll likely be reading through them several times, along with that list you posted.

I've got the wrench and the pulley holder for it in the mail so once I get that I'll be starting on the disassembly.

I see the head bolts are m11, but I can't tell what the head is. Anybody know? I'd just like to get the socket before I get to that point.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 PM

98 C43
Just some more info for you.

AH01.30-P-1000-04VA Information on applying sealant to a cylinder head gasket

If porous points are visible on the cylinder heads or on the rump of the engine in the area of the sealing surface of the cylinder head gasket, apply sealant at these points.

Repair information:
The sealant must only be applied only with a bead of 2.0 mm ±0.5 mm.

The sealing compound must be applied within 10 min.

The sealing compound bead must not be spread.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 PM

98 C43
They also have very detailed instructions with diagrams for the procedures below.

AR01.30-P-5800-09B Slackening diagram for cylinder head bolts

AR01.30-P-5800-07B Tightening instructions for cylinder head bolts