New Annoying Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts
c43
New Annoying Problem

When I'm in a stand still like a red light.
As I release the brake SLOWLY the car starts to shake.
Not really a bad shake but you can feel it.

It shakes the whole car, but once I fully release the brake the shake stops. If I where to keep releasing the brake slow n slow I could make the car shake pretty bad.

Any ideas what this could be?
How do I check to see if the motor mounts are ok without taking them off?

Brakes and rotors look really good incase some asks.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 346 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Did you try to diagnose the car.....?, or disconnect the battery.....??

ZAYED,,
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by speed43

It shakes the whole car, but once I fully release the brake the shake stops. If I where to keep releasing the brake slow n slow I could make the car shake pretty bad.

tech here, mostly likely the shaking is caused from a bad spark plug wire. just one going bad can make the whole car shake like that at idle. a way to check motor mounts is pop the hood, set e-brake, put car in drive, hold foot on brake, press accel as if you were power braking the car, but do it just to the point before the tires break loose. do a couple quick power brakes like that and if the mounts are bad you'll noiceably see the motor lift up and make and popping noise when its coming back down...alot of the time. but chaces are your problem is from wires. how many miles? and also with the motor mounts, you can take the front under body panel off and crawl underneath or just look, and with that panel off you should be able to see the mounts and you can see if you see any dark colored fluid coming out, or running down the side of the mount. hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Zayed, car has no code errors. And I did disconnect the battery two days ago.

To the tech, I will check the motor mounts as you suggested. But just incase you miss understood me.
The car in park ANDi in drive while holding down the brake has no shake.
It only shakes when I release the brake a little at a time. If I'm in drive and I let go the brake fast and give it gas the car don't shake. But, if I let go the brake slowly it shakes.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1998 C43, 2017 Honda Accord Sport
Originally Posted by 99C43n843
tech here, mostly likely the shaking is caused from a bad spark plug wire. just one going bad can make the whole car shake like that at idle. a way to check motor mounts is pop the hood, set e-brake, put car in drive, hold foot on brake, press accel as if you were power braking the car, but do it just to the point before the tires break loose. do a couple quick power brakes like that and if the mounts are bad you'll noiceably see the motor lift up and make and popping noise when its coming back down...alot of the time. but chaces are your problem is from wires. how many miles? and also with the motor mounts, you can take the front under body panel off and crawl underneath or just look, and with that panel off you should be able to see the mounts and you can see if you see any dark colored fluid coming out, or running down the side of the mount. hope this helps.
+1 for bad spark plug/wire or coil. I have this issue and already swapped out my plugs and wires (still have the shake and CEL for misfire in cylinder 5). Doing coilpack next.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Yesterday I checked the engine mounts and the driver side is really bad. Going to order the mounts and two ignition wires next week. Hopefully this will solve the shaking.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
If your are changing both engine mounts, you may consider doing the transmission mount at the tail end of the box at the same time.
That way you will be able to sleep on your two ears for many years after
Old 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
If your are changing both engine mounts, you may consider doing the transmission mount at the tail end of the box at the same time.
That way you will be able to sleep on your two ears for many years after
Sounds good, thanks guys.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by speed43

I'm no tech, so I'd definitely follow his advice first, but from what you're saying and trying to picture it in my own car, I would still suspect the brakes. You're basically saying that when the brakes are keeping the car still, no shake, when the brakes are completely released from the discs, no shake, but when the car is moving but the pads are contacting the discs there's shake?? If that's correct, then I think brakes. Does it do it when you're slowing down the last little bit at a light? I'd check to make sure everything in the brake area is torqued to spec. And those caliper bolts take a decent amount iirc.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
It's not brakes because they are pretty much in great shape.
The engine mount however is pretty bad.

Thanks.