C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

autocross and track day brakes, reccomendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
autocross and track day brakes, reccomendations?

hey guys,
was wondering if anyone on here can give me some feedback on what to look at for autocross and occasional track day brakes.

first off, the reason im asking is i have done about 12 autocross events in my car now and brakes have not let me down. But last week i did a track day at Gingerman raceway, which is a 2.14 mile roadcourse. we did many lap sessions but halfway through my first session (3 laps in) i was getting pretty strong pulsing feeling from the brakes, definitely felt like warped rotors.

after the session was over and the brakes had time to cool they would be fine for my first few laps of the next session but again after about 3 laps the pulsing would come back again. i tried my best to not be too hard on the brakes the rest of the day. so it seemed that the rotors would warp under the high temps but then would be OK once they cooled. mind you even with the pulsing i didnt really notice any brake fade, just pulsing.

I will be taking the car tomorrow for a brake inspection to see if my pads were just really low or if my rotors are just in need of replacement. the car has just under 70k miles, i will go back through my records but im assuming it is still on the original rotors.

i would like feedback from anyone who has track day experience with our brakes. after doing this event i realized that street driving or even autocross is nothing like the braking forces used on a track day

basically my options will be just new high performance pads if the rotors are ok.

OR new rotors and pads, in which case will i ger OEM replacement rotors or upgrade the rotors to powerslot slotted?

i see brembo has kits but thats probably more than i want to spend so upgraded rotors and pads are probably my ceiling.

i have researched rotors on the forum and couldnt really find much on upgrading the rotors since most were only using the car for street driving and most discussions ended with just sticking with OEM. mind you when i was only autocrossing the car i thought the brakes were superb, but they didnt quite hold up at the track day.

my intentions are to keep autocrossing the car 2 times a month and probably doing 2-3 track days each summer. my driving in the car in terms of BRAKE WEAR is probably 10% casual driving/30% autocross/60% track days.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
By the sound of it the rotors aren't warped, it's actually deposits from the brake pads stuck on the rotor face. It's basicly meaning you've reached the limits of what the pad is capable of in terms on temps.

I've been running Endless ME20 brake pads for a few years now with no issues. The main track I drive has a hard braking zone that's 125mph-30mph, never had a issue since I've been using these pads.

Pro's
cooler temps than most other pads
fantastic initial bite even when cold
much kinder to rotors than even OE pads (biggest pro considering rotor cost)
amazing longevity even when used on a track

Con's
Cost
will squeal in city driving if you're easy on brakes

http://www.endless-brake.info/index....=97&Itemid=194
Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Try Pagid racing line http://www.braketechnology.com/
I used them in the past and they have never ever let me down They are a bit expensive, but I guess that's the price to pay for top products Don't look at the dust thought.... but a wash of the rims and all is fine again.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65 AMG
I would try Carbotech pads with stock AMG rotors.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB C43 AMG
I have recently switched to Goodridge SS brake lines coupled with ATE Super Blue racing fluid and Hawk HPS pads and could not be happier. I gained back some lost pedal feel and the car stopping power is top notch. I have not experienced any fade and the bite is awesome too. I know another guy who did the same on his C43 and was really happy with the setup as well. This is all retaining your stock rotors.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Consider Sponsor Racing Brake 2 piece rotors

I recently put RB 2 piece rotors on our AMG and am very happy. As you know the benefit of 2 piece rotors is that you can just change the rotor without changing the hat. I use stock AMG pads now that are being made by TRW. They are made to a much higher standard than the old Pagid sourced/Brembo stamped pads. (don't know about the new Bbo but MB has switched to TRW.) The stock AMG rotors warp like an old LP. The stock calipers (Brembo made) are fine as long as you change your fluid regularly.

Dziner82, you probably already have Brembo calipers on your AMG so an expensive Brembo kit is unnecessary.

Racing Brake tech support can give you a pad recommendation and a bedding recommendation for both street and track use. I went with the street/AMG pads since 90% of my driving is street. Their brakes are a system used on many cars that are track only so they are very familiar with track pads for different racing applications.

Unsprung weight is much less, the car handles better, and there is much less braking noise. The braking power is prodigious. With the right pads, fluids, and lines, I can only imagine how great they would be for racing. Brakes are a system.

RB has a special Group Buy price so I would contact them.

Last edited by grane; 06-03-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Do you daily drive your car? I would go with a full on track pad (Hawk DTC-70 HB497U.776 or something similar) if you're primarily using it as a spirited weekend driver and track car. Probably something a little milder if you drive it on a more normal basis. I have Hawk HPS pads and Goodridge lines on mine as well, can't comment on how they would hold up over extended track time, but I would probably switch out to a race pad for track days personally.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:08 PM

thanks for the replies, though they all seem to be different recommendations so i'm not sure where to start, haha

Ausmbtech: thanks for the advise on what was causing the pulse to go away and come back, that makes sense and hopefully my rotors are ok!
so in your opinion i could keep stock rotors and just run the endless pads?
in looking on their website im wondering if their MX-72 compound would be best for me since im only doing limited track use. i will give them a call.

i drive this car to and from autocross events, that is the majority of the actual miles, i might drive it to work a few times a month. though the wear on the brakes is mostly at those events and the track days, from what i could tell 1 track day = about 20 autocross events and probably half a years worth of daily driving!

BUT i want the car to be 'setup' for autocross. i will probably only do 2-3 track days a summer (car is stored in the winter). but i need pads that will hold up on those track days since i do not want to swap parts on those 2 days of the year. so im not really concerned about daily driving use at this point. but dont need a full race setup.

which is why i need specific feedback from those of you that can speak to TRACK DAY use. i need a pad that can handle a track day here and there but wont be overkill on autocross and street driving.

Last edited by Dziner82; 06-03-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: grammar edit
Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Every one is going to have their pad of choice. I have tended to use Hawk, but I've been seeing a lot of good reviews about PFC pads, but unfortunately they don't list a pad for the C43 fronts. Perhaps with some in depth homework, one could find a PFC pad that would fit and they just haven't linked it to the C43 yet. For example, the rear pads on our 300ZX also happen to work on certain Hyundais, but I'm fairly certain they weren't working together back in the mid 80's. Just so happens that way. Anyways, it really just sounds like you need a more track/auto-x focused pad and some high temp fluid (Super Blue, Motul 600, etc.). I would start by seeing what is available for the C43 and that should shorten the list of available pads dramatically. I know the Hawks are available, that is the part number I listed. I'm not too familiar with some of the other pads listed, but I trust the people who suggested them and wouldn't hesitate to give them a try based on the price.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM

guys,
assuming i replace the pads, can i just run OEM replacement in the rear and performance in the front or do the pads need to be 'balanced' same in front and back?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM

brake inspection went well, pads still have life and rotors are still ok.

so Ausmbtech was spot on that the pads were just getting too hot and causing the pulsing in the pedal, once they cooled down everything was OK again

so now its just time to upgrade the pads. Im thinking i might just go a performance street/track level pad, similar to hawk HP+ or similar, just to keep in that price range. if i do another track day and the same thing happens (though i have to imagine they will at least be better than OEM) then i will only be out maybe $200.

i would rather go that route than going all the way to the Endless race pads at $400 a set if i dont need that level. Though i will still call endless and see what the price is for their street/track pads, if they are under $200 i would go that route.

also still lookng for the feedback on whether i need to run the same pads front and rear or if i can just replace the rear with OEM when i put the new performance pads on the front? rear pads are not as expensive but im noticing not all High performance pads show up on webistes in the rear fitting.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, you can run different compounds in the front and rear. I would not run a full on track pad in the front and an Autozone bargain basement pad in the rear personally, but you could run something like an HP+ in the front and HPS in the rear. However, I don't see an HP+ available for the C43. HT-10 is a little more hardcore than the HP+ and available. If I were you, I would run Goodridge lines, ATE Superblue or Motul 600 fluid, and HPS pads front and rear. If you experience any issues at your next event, switch the front pads out for HT-10s. None of those are ridiculous when it comes to price and should be readily available.
Attached Thumbnails autocross and track day brakes, reccomendations?-c43-pads.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hawk Pad Ratings.pdf (133.4 KB, 139 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
Yes, you can run different compounds in the front and rear. I would not run a full on track pad in the front and an Autozone bargain basement pad in the rear personally, but you could run something like an HP+ in the front and HPS in the rear. However, I don't see an HP+ available for the C43. HT-10 is a little more hardcore than the HP+ and available. If I were you, I would run Goodridge lines, ATE Superblue or Motul 600 fluid, and HPS pads front and rear. If you experience any issues at your next event, switch the front pads out for HT-10s. None of those are ridiculous when it comes to price and should be readily available.

yea i was going to contact hawk and see if the HP+ pads are special order, as it seems that all their compounds and sizes/thickness of pads are pretty much intercahgeable, all their part #s are simply pad shape+compound+pad thickness. so im thinking they just dont have stock in every possible combination but all can be made?? at least thats what im hoping for since there is quite a difference in compound between the HPS and the DC10 pads.

The HP+ is really what i need so i will call and check on that soon.

HP+ front and HPS rear would be my intentions.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Wow Im. Surprised no one recommended any of the EBC brake pads
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Wow Im. Surprised no one recommended any of the EBC brake pads
yea i used to have green stuff pads on my camaro long ago, but year while researching i didnt find anyone recommending those. I will check into them more when it comes time to replace again.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Dziner82
yea i used to have green stuff pads on my camaro long ago, but year while researching i didnt find anyone recommending those. I will check into them more when it comes time to replace again.
I would go yellow or red not green. I think the blue stuff is there top racing pad.