Sponsored by:

2016 C450/C43 AMG Adaptive Suspension is stiffer in Comfort Mode than in Sport+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
2016 C450/C43 AMG Adaptive Suspension is stiffer in Comfort Mode than in Sport+

I purchased a C450 AMG about a month ago and can clearly notice that the ride is much stiffer in Comfort mode than in Sport+ mode. It is completely opposite of what I would expect it to be. Has anyone else experienced this with the AMG Adaptive Suspension? Thank you.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Nope. Take it back to dealer, maybe someone in Alabama crossed some wires.
The following users liked this post:
Ekram (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 02:52 AM

2016 C450 AMG
I noticed you have a C63S. Do you notice a big difference in the ride between Comfort and Sport+? I contacted the dealer and asked them to arrange for a test drive of another C450, at a different dealership if they don't have one at their location, to definitively diagnose the problem. I also installed a G-force app on my phone and can show higher forces experienced over bumps when in Comfort as opposed to Sport+. It should be the exact opposite. Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
R8 5.2 6MT
Hmm maybe I should try driving around town in sport+ mode to see if the same thing happens on mine. I always have mine on comfort mode as for me it is already too stiff in that setting, but reading your thread makes me wonder if perhaps other cars also have it backwards from the factory.
Ekram (07-25-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by Ekram
I noticed you have a C63S. Do you notice a big difference in the ride between Comfort and Sport+? I contacted the dealer and asked them to arrange for a test drive of another C450, at a different dealership if they don't have one at their location, to definitively diagnose the problem. I also installed a G-force app on my phone and can show higher forces experienced over bumps when in Comfort as opposed to Sport+. It should be the exact opposite. Thank you for your reply.
It's a fairly huge difference. I have a series of speed bumps leading to my house, and if I'm in sport+ or race, it's jarring to even approach them faster than 15 mph. However, in comfort, I can go at 30 without worry.
Ekram (07-25-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
why should/would you experience less g-force in comfort mode? The suspension is softer and has more travel -of course you are going to get more g-forces over bumps. Seems like a retarded way to diagnose the problem, no offense.

I'm not saying there is nothing wrong, but that literally just makes me think all is working right.

Either way, in my car, I can feel a pretty significant different between comfort and sport+. The comfort mode is really splashy and will dive when cornering hard. Sport+ is almost too stiff is some circumstances and can be pretty rough.
Ekram (07-25-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 08:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
C450
The phone should experience less g's because the shocks suck more of them up in comfort mode. Simple stuff.

After reading this post and then after turning in my loaner C300 and getting my C450 back I was afraid the same was happening to me. The C450 in comfort mode is far more jarring than the C300. So instead of placing it in S+ i just changed the suspension settings manually while still in comfort. There was a massive difference between comfort and S+. It was easy to measure via butt running on a country road with perpendicular depressions in the road every 30 feet or so.
Ekram (07-25-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Originally Posted by alexasa
why should/would you experience less g-force in comfort mode? The suspension is softer and has more travel -of course you are going to get more g-forces over bumps. Seems like a retarded way to diagnose the problem, no offense.

I'm not saying there is nothing wrong, but that literally just makes me think all is working right.

Either way, in my car, I can feel a pretty significant different between comfort and sport+. The comfort mode is really splashy and will dive when cornering hard. Sport+ is almost too stiff is some circumstances and can be pretty rough.
g force doesn't measure suspension travel it measures sudden accelerations, therefore if a suspension is adequately absorbing bumps, less acceleration transferred to g force meter = less readings
Ekram (07-25-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by jkob5
g force doesn't measure suspension travel it measures sudden accelerations, therefore if a suspension is adequately absorbing bumps, less acceleration transferred to g force meter = less readings
Yerp, if the sensor is in the cabin the suspension will effectively dampen the shock impulse. Hence, greater G for a tighter suspension than for a softer one.
Ekram (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:15 PM

2016 C450 AMG
I would expect LESS g-force in Comfort mode than in Sport+ mode because the suspension should absorb more of the force from the bump. However, I am experiencing more force in Comfort mode than on Sport+. Hope that clarifies.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C43 OMG
No problems here with the suspension setttings in the c450 i've driven for a weekend, clearly softer and more comfortable in comfort and more sporty in sport+, as it should be

The day I'd need a device to test that, i'd be frigging ill (no offence)

Last edited by Cocheche; 07-25-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
I would expect LESS g-force in Comfort mode than in Sport+ mode because the suspension should absorb more of the force from the bump. However, I am experiencing more force in Comfort mode than on Sport+. Hope that clarifies.

Did you ever get this sorted out?
Old 06-23-2018, 03:51 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Did you ever get this sorted out?
Yes. They had to get the engineers in Germany to log in and load some new software modules and that fixed it.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 PM

c450
Yes. They had to get the engineers in Germany to log in and load some new software modules and that fixed it.
I have the exact same thing happening with mine. Any chance you know what the engineers did to resolve it? I'd like to point my local service department in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
C450
load some new software modules and that fixed it.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Josh Braun
I have the exact same thing happening with mine. Any chance you know what the engineers did to resolve it? I'd like to point my local service department in the right direction.

Thanks

I was never able to get mine sorted out. After a year of getting gaslit by MB of Wilsonville and a "Technical Expert" from MBUSA, I took it to another dealer. The Lead Tech there researched it and pestered Germany until they sent him new software to upload. This fixed the mismatch damper configuration. Mine were running different firmness settings between the four corners. The software patch did not fix the overly harsh damper settings. They remain significantly harsher than they were during the 1st year of ownership. I'm looking at aftermarket solutions now since MBUSA basically told me to stuff it.