Top Tier Winter Tires or not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Top Tier Winter Tires or not

Hello, I am going get delivery of my C43 soon and it is going to come with the 19" rims with performance tires. I live in Ontario and a bit up North so I will be getting a fair amount of snow. I already have a winter beater, so the C43 is just going to be my weekend car and I am NOT going to be using it regularly at all. I will probably drive it a fair amount on December to complete the break in period but that's about it.

I got a great deal for winter tires from a brand called EverGreen which comes in the OEM tire sizes for the 19" rims for just $650, Kumho for $1050 and Blizzaks for $1500. All tires are factory staggered sizes. I plan to put the winter tires on the 19" OEM rims and then buy a set of rims for my summer tires around April,2017.

What I wanted to ask is, for my usage is it worth it to go for full on top tier winter tires like Blizzaks or R2s? Wouldn't the Evergreen or the Kumhos be just fine to get me through Jan to March? I am talking about a lot $1000 worth of savings. And I am not even going to use the C43 every weekend. May be I will take it out bi weekly in the weekend.

Will really appreciate some feedback.

PS: Prices are in CAD
Old 11-10-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C63 AMG S Edition 1, 2015 GL63
I would think so given your driving parameters. Save the money.

Kurt
Old 11-10-2016, 03:46 AM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
I used to live in Ontario with a C63S. I drove my C63S through a winter on Blizzak LM-32 no problem. I paid $1500 for them. If you're not gonna daily drive it, don't bother with expensive winter performance tires. There's plenty of days where there's the roads are dry or maybe only wet.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
Assuming you can avoid snow/ice storms and just drive it when it's dry out I'd say you'd be fine with more entry level winter tires (Which would be way better than the stock A/S or sport tires given the low temps).
Old 11-10-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
polarwhite AMG C63s W205
Better to look some reviews of the winter-tyres. Normally cheaper tyre performance is far below top tier tyre performance. Breaking distance in snow or ice - lower quality tyres require longer distances. Traction and traction control are not the same. I would not save on tyres.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Tires are arguably the most important part of the car. They allow you to stop, accelerate and turn. They are integral to the safety and performance of the vehicle. Tires are the last place I'd look to save money.Buying sub-standard tires for an AMG to save money makes as much sense as deciding not to buy premium fuel to save money. The savings aren't worth the sacrifice in performance.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by looney100
Tires are arguably the most important part of the car. They allow you to stop, accelerate and turn. They are integral to the safety and performance of the vehicle. Tires are the last place I'd look to save money.Buying sub-standard tires for an AMG to save money makes as much sense as deciding not to buy premium fuel to save money. The savings aren't worth the sacrifice in performance.
+1. You get what you pay for, majority of the time.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I carry my family in the car so gotta with with top tier, every time. Your logic is not flawed, but that one time you need to stop and you have your kids in the car, I say screw the thousand bucks you save, be sure and don't have a regret over a grand
Old 11-14-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
Get Nokians, they are amazing tires and they last a long time. They might be a bit more money but they are worth it. Cheers.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

None
Originally Posted by looney100

I do agree with you guys that tyres are the most vital component in the car given the entire car rides on it. But as I said, please do note that I am almost not going to drive the car. Biweekly just in the weekends. Even only in the weekends when there would not be a lot of snow. That is why I did not want to go for the best performance winter tires. On bad weather I will be using my beater which does have proper winter tires.

Originally Posted by coladin
I carry my family in the car so gotta with with top tier, every time. Your logic is not flawed, but that one time you need to stop and you have your kids in the car, I say screw the thousand bucks you save, be sure and don't have a regret over a grand
I don't have a family though. I am just 22 years old, my absence in the world would not make a huge difference, hahaha.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by Munajj Ahamed
I do agree with you guys that tyres are the most vital component in the car given the entire car rides on it. But as I said, please do note that I am almost not going to drive the car. Biweekly just in the weekends. Even only in the weekends when there would not be a lot of snow. That is why I did not want to go for the best performance winter tires. On bad weather I will be using my beater which does have proper winter tires.

I don't have a family though. I am just 22 years old, my absence in the world would not make a huge difference, hahaha.
So it looks like you answered your own question in your own thread and just get the cheap substandard ones. Hopefully it works out.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:31 PM
Banned

None
Originally Posted by coladin
So it looks like you answered your own question in your own thread and just get the cheap substandard ones. Hopefully it works out.
I have not decided yet. I have another friend who is running 18" rims and he wants to try the ever green tires. So I am waiting for his feedback.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 AM

None

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say that driving the car during the winter is optional, so you don't need a good winter tire, and will sacrifice performance to save money. So why bother buying winters at all?
There seems to be little information in the performance of the tire you're looking to buy. What makes you think they'll even be worth what you'll be paying?
I'm doubtful of the quality. $650 is just too cheap. Factoring in valves, balancing and installation, you've got to be looking at less than $150 per tire. Canadian Tire sells 17" all-season Motomaster tires for more than that!
I'm a proud cheapskate, but sometimes, buying the cheapest product you can get your hands on just isn't worth it.

Last edited by looney100; 11-15-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017-C43, 2012-C200
Originally Posted by obbob
I used to live in Ontario with a C63S. I drove my C63S through a winter on Blizzak LM-32 no problem. I paid $1500 for them. If you're not gonna daily drive it, don't bother with expensive winter performance tires. There's plenty of days where there's the roads are dry or maybe only wet.
Hi Obbob, I am also living in ON. I love C63, but the dealership is suggesting me to get a C43 instead due to winter safety concern.

I have no experience driving a rare drive performance car in snowing winter. Should I listen to the dealership? Just would like to seek for your comment. Thank you my friend!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by fokenny
Hi Obbob, I am also living in ON. I love C63, but the dealership is suggesting me to get a C43 instead due to winter safety concern.

I have no experience driving a rare drive performance car in snowing winter. Should I listen to the dealership? Just would like to seek for your comment. Thank you my friend!
The C63S is the second RWD daily driver I owned in Canada. You need top tier winter tires, but you will be fine. The only days where you may be stuck without a car are those with EXTREMELY heavy snowfall; I'm talking about the days where schools and businesses get closed.

Other than that, I've even driven the C63S on black ice without problem.

As long as you keep your winter driving common sense about you, such as keeping larger distances, not heavily accelerating around corners, or making sharp turns at speed, you will be fine. Remember, AWD only helps with moving; it does nothing for stopping, and inability to stop is where I find most winter dangers come from.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:37 PM

2017-C43, 2012-C200
The C63S is the second RWD daily driver I owned in Canada. You need top tier winter tires, but you will be fine. The only days where you may be stuck without a car are those with EXTREMELY heavy snowfall; I'm talking about the days where schools and businesses get closed.

As long as you keep your winter driving common sense about you, such as keeping larger distances, not heavily accelerating around corners, or making sharp turns at speed, you will be fine. Remember, AWD only helps with moving; it does nothing for stopping, and inability to stop is where I find most winter dangers come from.
It's been sooooo kind of you to share all these!

I think I will most likely go ahead with the C63. If I can get it successful, I may really need to visit you and share more fun withe the cars, haha!

One more thing, I saw you were saying spending CAD1500 for the winter tires. Is this including all the expenses i.e. installation? I also heard people are buying another set of rims for the winter tires. What do you think?

Thanks again for the kindness!
Old 11-21-2016, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Hello, I am going get delivery of my C43 soon and it is going to come with the 19" rims with performance tires. I live in Ontario and a bit up North so I will be getting a fair amount of snow. I already have a winter beater, so the C43 is just going to be my weekend car and I am NOT going to be using it regularly at all. I will probably drive it a fair amount on December to complete the break in period but that's about it.

I got a great deal for winter tires from a brand called EverGreen which comes in the OEM tire sizes for the 19" rims for just $650, Kumho for $1050 and Blizzaks for $1500. All tires are factory staggered sizes. I plan to put the winter tires on the 19" OEM rims and then buy a set of rims for my summer tires around April,2017.

What I wanted to ask is, for my usage is it worth it to go for full on top tier winter tires like Blizzaks or R2s? Wouldn't the Evergreen or the Kumhos be just fine to get me through Jan to March? I am talking about a lot $1000 worth of savings. And I am not even going to use the C43 every weekend. May be I will take it out bi weekly in the weekend.

Will really appreciate some feedback.

PS: Prices are in CAD
I lived in Ontario for 62 of my 72 years and have owned 11 MB cars in that time. At no time would I have ever considered running without winters as you just never know what you will run into even on a Saturday run.
Now I live just north of Victoria and because while we get little if any snow we get sub 7C temps with a heck of a lot of rain it is best to have winter rubber compounds.
I just bought a 2013 C63 with the performance package (481hp with MCT) and there is no way I want to be on the roads here with the 19" summer tires but I didn't need a high performance winter tire.
I opted for a set of 18" after market wheels (R170 Replicka) and Nexen Winterguard S tires with TPMS sensors in each wheel, mounted, balanced and delivered to my home for $1751 CDN from 1010Tire.com
They are 18 because that is what is recommended by MB which I trust to suggest and they are the same on BA vs staggered so I can move them front to back season to season. I only drive about 1000 km per month and am no sissy behind the wheel on the road or track but these will do for me and I suggest for you.

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 11-21-2016 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:29 PM

None
Originally Posted by fokenny
It's been sooooo kind of you to share all these!

I think I will most likely go ahead with the C63. If I can get it successful, I may really need to visit you and share more fun withe the cars, haha!

One more thing, I saw you were saying spending CAD1500 for the winter tires. Is this including all the expenses i.e. installation? I also heard people are buying another set of rims for the winter tires. What do you think?

Thanks again for the kindness!
Defenitely get rims. Removing and reinstalling tires is expensive and can damage the rim, tire and TPMS sensors.

Last edited by looney100; 11-22-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG

This is not good advice. Just because one person has lucked out so far does not mean a thing. The rubber compounds and tread patterns are designed for low temperature and to clear water and snow from the tread. Any form of summer performance tires do not measure up.
One mishap and a) you seriously damage or wreck your car, b) you seriously injure yourself or a family member and c) you cause injury or death to an innocent other party or cause them serious property damage.
To suggest no winter tires on these cars particularly in your part of the world even on just weekend outings is, IMHO, just careless and wrong.
Read my post re what I put on my car. Inexpensive insurance in my view. This is what they look like on the car
Attached Thumbnails Top Tier Winter Tires or not-image-1.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
This is not good advice. Just because one person has lucked out so far does not mean a thing. The rubber compounds and tread patterns are designed for low temperature and to clear water and snow from the tread. Any form of summer performance tires do not measure up.
One mishap and a) you seriously damage or wreck your car, b) you seriously injure yourself or a family member and c) you cause injury or death to an innocent other party or cause them serious property damage.
To suggest no winter tires on these cars particularly in your part of the world even on just weekend outings is, IMHO, just careless and wrong.
Read my post re what I put on my car. Inexpensive insurance in my view. This is what they look like on the car
+1

I've priced these new 18" wheels + snow tires (Michelin or Yokohamas), balanced, mounted, tax included for $1900 CDN.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
+1

I've priced these new 18" wheels + snow tires (Michelin or Yokohamas), balanced, mounted, tax included for $1900 CDN.

Interesting. Where did you find that deal?
Old 11-22-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Interesting. Where did you find that deal?
Link to Janex Auto in Ottawa ON.

Last edited by 1Gunner; 11-22-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:40 PM

One of my first sentences in my post is me saying that you "need top tier winter tires". I totally agree with what you are saying. I personally had a square setup of Blizzak LM-32

The post I was replying to was asking whether AWD is necessary over RWD in snow.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:56 PM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Listen, do your self a favor and get your self a winter beater. I use a Buick lacrosse with winter tires.

Do you want salt spraying on your car, salt under your car and other ****...
Old 11-22-2016, 11:26 PM
Banned

None
Well Kumho Winter tires are not bad is it? I am going to give those a try. Also they come in sizes for the 19" rims.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.