Sponsored by:

Help getting best deal on C43 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
Help getting best deal on C43 Coupe

Back in September I ordered my C43 Coupe and I got it pretty well loaded. MSRP is just over 67k. Dealer had estimated it would be here mid-November but it's been over a month longer and is expected to arrive next week. I've already told the sales guy I'm expecting some discounting for the extra month of waiting. He pushed back saying that they don't usually discount new models, especially those custom ordered. What's a reasonable % to ask/get off MSRP? Any suggestions on how to push him given he knows I've waited 3 months for it to arrive and will be less likely to walk away from the deal?

Last edited by MBskys; 12-16-2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-16-2016, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by MBskys
Back in September I ordered my C43 Coupe and I got it pretty well loaded. MSRP is just over 67k. Dealer had estimated it would be here mid-November but it's been over a month longer and is expected to arrive next week. I've already told the sales guy I'm expecting some discounting for the extra month of waiting. He pushed back saying that they don't usually discount new models, especially those custom ordered. What's a reasonable % to ask/get off MSRP? Any suggestions on how to push him given he knows I've waited 3 months for it to arrive and will be less likely to walk away from the deal?
You usually want to negotiate the price of the car before ordering...

You may have to walk on the car altogether and end up looking like an asshat..
Old 12-17-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
You can always negotiate the price. More cars are coming in as inventory every day so you can get another one off the lot if he doesn't want to negotiate. Are you a Costco member? The Costco Auto deal on the C43 is invoice. Go through their website and get a quote. Your dealer should match the quote from the other dealer, or hopefully your dealer already participates in the Costco program and will have to give you the Costco price.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE450
So far have not had any success with Costco as they don't seem to have any deals with NJ or South Florida MB dealers. I am gonna MG to call Costco today. So far the best deal I have is 10% off list.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Dealer has no control over the manufacturing process and release of the vehicle from MB. It arrives when it arrives.

If you walk away, they'll just sell it to someone else.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
IMO You are not in any position to renegotiate your deal, unless you had something built into your signed original deal for delay of delivery.

Be happy you wait is almost over... while many of us are still waiting.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:53 PM

2017 C43 Coupe
Has anyone been able to get some discounting off MSRP for an ordered C43 Coupe? If so, what's a reasonable % to get on a brand new model, early order like this?
Old 12-17-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
I managed to secure about 5% off MSRP for the C43C in Toronto, with my car being one of, if not the first, C43C on Toronto roads. That's not including a loyalty credit I received, and a fleet discount I received from my wife being on the agreement. I haven't heard of a lot of people getting heavy discounts on this car. Very transparently, I cross shopped 4 dealerships and ended up ditching the dealership that sold me a car about a year back.

My negotiation strategy is:
1) Have a reasonable number in mind...the C43C is marked up about 8% in the Canada so I aimed for a 7% off to leave a dealer profit of 1%. You also need to know your walking price - for me it was a minimum of 4.5% off MSRP before I was no longer happy with the selling price.
2) Make your sales agent your friend through discussion and conversation - understand what motivates people and then cater your approach accordingly.
3) If negotiations are tough, be transparent. If they refuse to budge from 3% off MSRP and you need 5% off to reach your budget goal, tell them that. Be honest and they will respect your integrity. People are more willing to be over backwards for a smart consumer than a cheap consumer.
4) Be a good person. This isn't you vs the dealership. Show your SA the same level of respect you expect people to treat you with. They want to get you in a car as bad as you want to get in on. Give them the courage to approach the sales manager with an aggressive offer.
5) Don't hesitate to show your excitement for the vehicle. There is an old misconception that you can't show your excitement for a deal otherwise you will be taken advantage of. Yes - if you're blinded by your love for a vehicle - people will take advantage of you. If you are passionate about a vehicle, appreciate it, and are the right level of shrewd, the SA will want to get you in the vehicle.
6) Give a gift - I always give my SA's a small gift after purchase to build rapport. It could be a nice tie, a box of chocolates, a new cologne, anything. Show them that you appreciate them and they will work wonders for you again next time around.
7) Be ready to make a deal. Don't be one of those people that gets the number they wanted and then gets greedy and looks for more. If you end up getting the number you wanted and then start double guessing how good the discount actually is, you were foolish in coming up with your initial number.
8) If you are cross shopping the same car at different dealerships, be transparent but also very careful about coming across as cheap. You want to give a perception of smart consumer....not cheap consumer.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by 5ilver-5urfer:
gabe.m (12-21-2016), YoungLane (12-20-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 03:30 PM

2017 C43 Coupe
Thank you @5ilver-5urfer for your very thoughtful and detailed response! I'm going to use some of those strategies when I talk to them next week.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe, Triumph 675R Daytona, Triumph Explorer.
If you are in the UK put your car details in here and dealers will send you their best discounts.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/
Old 12-20-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F150
I put a deposit on my C43 yesterday. Basically I sent them a list of options I wanted. It was 62k. Once they found a car I was good with, I sent over another spreadsheet showing the total car price, a 10% discount, what I wanted for my trade-in, and taxes. They met everything, but were 500 off on the trade in. I'm good with that!
Old 12-20-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
I got 6.5% off in NJ on a care that the dealer traded with a dealer in MD. The NJ dealer was very accommodating with an east coast search and were able to offer me several options in the color combo that I wanted... took about 4 days to get the car. I used to order every car and wait 3-4 months, now I just take from stock... I hate waiting.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe -Selenite Grey w/ PE..... 2014 Black Jaguar F-Type convertible- Sold
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
I managed to secure about 5% off MSRP for the C43C in Toronto, with my car being one of, if not the first, C43C on Toronto roads. That's not including a loyalty credit I received, and a fleet discount I received from my wife being on the agreement. I haven't heard of a lot of people getting heavy discounts on this car. Very transparently, I cross shopped 4 dealerships and ended up ditching the dealership that sold me a car about a year back.

My negotiation strategy is:
1) Have a reasonable number in mind...the C43C is marked up about 8% in the Canada so I aimed for a 7% off to leave a dealer profit of 1%. You also need to know your walking price - for me it was a minimum of 4.5% off MSRP before I was no longer happy with the selling price.
2) Make your sales agent your friend through discussion and conversation - understand what motivates people and then cater your approach accordingly.
3) If negotiations are tough, be transparent. If they refuse to budge from 3% off MSRP and you need 5% off to reach your budget goal, tell them that. Be honest and they will respect your integrity. People are more willing to be over backwards for a smart consumer than a cheap consumer.
4) Be a good person. This isn't you vs the dealership. Show your SA the same level of respect you expect people to treat you with. They want to get you in a car as bad as you want to get in on. Give them the courage to approach the sales manager with an aggressive offer.
5) Don't hesitate to show your excitement for the vehicle. There is an old misconception that you can't show your excitement for a deal otherwise you will be taken advantage of. Yes - if you're blinded by your love for a vehicle - people will take advantage of you. If you are passionate about a vehicle, appreciate it, and are the right level of shrewd, the SA will want to get you in the vehicle.
6) Give a gift - I always give my SA's a small gift after purchase to build rapport. It could be a nice tie, a box of chocolates, a new cologne, anything. Show them that you appreciate them and they will work wonders for you again next time around.
7) Be ready to make a deal. Don't be one of those people that gets the number they wanted and then gets greedy and looks for more. If you end up getting the number you wanted and then start double guessing how good the discount actually is, you were foolish in coming up with your initial number.
8) If you are cross shopping the same car at different dealerships, be transparent but also very careful about coming across as cheap. You want to give a perception of smart consumer....not cheap consumer.

Good luck!

As the OP stated, this is great advice. I'm in the same boat as the op, ordered mine back in November, scheduled for a mid-Feb delivery...I don't want the deal of the century, but I don't agree with those indicating that because I ordered one to my specs, I should be foregoing any sort of negotiations or have previously negotiated the deal. You need to see the product before negotiating.

How do we determine what the mark-up % is??

my MSRP on my build is 67k and change. I'm not expecting 7%+ off MSRP, but I don't think they should also say "take it or leave it either". As mentioned, if I don't end up buying it, they'll sell it to someone else, no sweat. So yes, I'm prepared to walk but hope it doesn't come to that. You can't get what you don't ask for, but there's still a fine line as stated between "cheap and smart" consumers.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
Originally Posted by YoungLane
As the OP stated, this is great advice. I'm in the same boat as the op, ordered mine back in November, scheduled for a mid-Feb delivery...I don't want the deal of the century, but I don't agree with those indicating that because I ordered one to my specs, I should be foregoing any sort of negotiations or have previously negotiated the deal. You need to see the product before negotiating.

How do we determine what the mark-up % is??

my MSRP on my build is 67k and change. I'm not expecting 7%+ off MSRP, but I don't think they should also say "take it or leave it either". As mentioned, if I don't end up buying it, they'll sell it to someone else, no sweat. So yes, I'm prepared to walk but hope it doesn't come to that. You can't get what you don't ask for, but there's still a fine line as stated between "cheap and smart" consumers.
Good question - I can answer based off of my experience in the Canadian market. Whenever I am looking to buy a car, I go to a website called CarCostCanada (requires you to pay something like 10 or 20 bucks to generate a handful of invoice reports). I build the car to the spec that I want on their site and then generate an invoice report. It basically breaks down the price of the car and all.of the packages as MSRP vs Invoice / Wholesale.
This number is your most important piece of information - you get a ballpark figure of what the dealer stands to make if they sell you the car at MSRP.

From this point, I'll visit the dealership and start the purchase process. I'm transparent about knowing this number and ask what the dealerships typically likes to make on a sale. I've had some dealerships say we need to make 1k minimum....it varies by dealership. Conversely, a lot of dealerships operate on a % mark-up basis when it comes to negotiating. Some sales agents will share that % with you - most of the good ones will, to make sure you are informed They'll flat out tell you that your car has a mark-up of 8%, and that they need to keep at least 4% of it...from that point, it's up to using the skills mentioned in my original post!

I'm not sure how it works in the US - I have heard of people paying above MSRP for a car if it's in demand. I've never seen that for a mass produced vehicle here in Canada...ever. Conversely, I've heard of people getting something crazy like 15% off the price of a new vehicle...which leads me to believe that % mark-up varies as well in the states.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:41 AM

2017 C43 Coupe
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and advice! Looks like the MSRP is about 7.5% over invoice. I'm comparison shopping with other dealers to see what type of deals they are willing to cut.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:51 AM

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and advice! Looks like the MSRP is about 7.5% over invoice. I'm comparison shopping with other dealers to see what type of deals they are willing to cut.
My deal was ~4% including some N/C extras (clear wrap and window tint).
At the end of the day I care about the relationship I create with my selling/servicing dealer, so nickel and diming makes no sense in a BIG picture scheme of things.

People that are fixated ONLY on a best bottom line price by whatever means they feel are necessary will end up paying more in the end.... literally and figuratively!
The following users liked this post:
YoungLane (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:00 PM

2017 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
My deal was ~4% including some N/C extras (clear wrap and window tint).
At the end of the day I care about the relationship I create with my selling/servicing dealer, so nickel and diming makes no sense in a BIG picture scheme of things.

People that are fixated ONLY on a best bottom line price by whatever means they feel are necessary will end up paying more in the end.... literally and figuratively!
You got 4% off? Was that a custom build and a C43 Coupe?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:26 PM

You got 4% off? Was that a custom build and a C43 Coupe?
Yes 4%, yes it is my custom build, scheduled for production early January w/ delivery mid February and it's a C43 Sedan.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:51 PM

2017 C43 Coupe
So I picked up my C43 Coupe a couple days ago. Ordered it back in September from a SoCal dealer.

Here are the details on my deal:
2017 C43 Coupe, Premium 3, AMG Exaust, Parking Assist, HUD, Carbon Fiber Spoiler. Polar White/Cranberry/Black Gloss
MSRP 67,660
Negogiated to 65,625.03 (3% discount)
Acquisition Fee: 1,095
Prepaid Maint: 1,876 (wouldn't budge)
Residual Value: 34,841.55 (51.49%)
Money Factor: .00153

While I wish the money factor was a little lower, they wouldn't budge after discounting the MSRP by 3%. When I ordered the car they said no discounts because it would be one of the first few this year delivered after special order. I'm happy all things considered but I'm sure better deals will happen over the coming months as more of these hit the lots.
Gidrow (12-24-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 04:52 PM

2017 C43 Coupe

Last edited by MBskys; 12-23-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan
So I picked up my C43 Coupe a couple days ago. Ordered it back in September from a SoCal dealer.

Here are the details on my deal:
2017 C43 Coupe, Premium 3, AMG Exaust, Parking Assist, HUD, Carbon Fiber Spoiler. Polar White/Cranberry/Black Gloss
MSRP 67,660
Negogiated to 65,625.03 (3% discount)
Acquisition Fee: 1,095
Prepaid Maint: 1,876 (wouldn't budge)
Residual Value: 34,841.55 (51.49%)
Money Factor: .00153

While I wish the money factor was a little lower, they wouldn't budge after discounting the MSRP by 3%. When I ordered the car they said no discounts because it would be one of the first few this year delivered after special order. I'm happy all things considered but I'm sure better deals will happen over the coming months as more of these hit the lots.
How does that Residual compare to other MB models? 51.49% seems rather low (I thought I saw 59% on other threads/forums).
Old 12-25-2016, 02:33 AM

2017 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Shewillbemine
How does that Residual compare to other MB models? 51.49% seems rather low (I thought I saw 59% on other threads/forums).
Can't say for all models but they told me the C43 sedan was 53% and the coupe was 51% but I got an extra .5 for pre-paying the maintenance.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
I was only able to get 3% off of sticker on mine, but it was the only one in Texas configured the way I wanted. This was after two weeks of talking to the sales person and having to drive 300 miles.

The only other one configured the way I wanted was in California, so it was pretty much this one or nothing. I was pretty honest with them and just said that I couldn't pay sticker out of principle. So two weeks later when it was still sitting around on the lot, they threw me a bone and I went out to pick it up.

Couldn't be happier with it!
YoungLane (12-28-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43 Coupe
I got 12% off

walked in last day of the year and through my company was able to negotiate 12% off MSRP. C43 Coupe. Didn't get all of the options that I wanted but did get the performance exhaust which is completely sublime. Only reason I got 12% was because of the large company that I woke for.
C43NME (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I got around 6% off my build. Ordered it in November.. C43C
C43NME (01-01-2017)