C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dark ash trim on doors-how does it look in real life?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus IS350; BMW 330i
Dark ash trim on doors-how does it look in real life?

I like the look of the dark ash on the centre console but haven't seen it applied to the door trim. The only in person version that I saw with the dark ash had aluminum trim because it had the white designo seats upgrade (looked awesome btw!)

Please tell me the dark ash trim looks in real life better than the awful rendition in the "build your car" section of either the US or Canadian websites!

Pics if you got them would be awesome. I am trying to ovoid spending $1500 CN on carbon fibre trim and the piano finish looks like it would scratch if you looked at it funny!

Last edited by triggerhappy; 03-23-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Too lazy to take a pic, but it looks fantastic even after 2 1/2 years in my C400. In fact it looks better than the console piece because the way the speaker is integrated into the wood. You will not regret it!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I had piano black and went to pick up the car and said NO WAY! I made them switch to dark open pore ash, it looks great and won't scratch and get dirty/greasy like the piano black.

I test drove the carbon fibre, it was a bit much.

Just my thoughts, will send pics tonight.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Originally Posted by triggerhappy
I like the look of the dark ash on the centre console but haven't seen it applied to the door trim. The only in person version that I saw with the dark ash had aluminum trim because it had the white designo seats upgrade (looked awesome btw!)

Please tell me the dark ash trim looks in real life better than the awful rendition in the "build your car" section of either the US or Canadian websites!

Pics if you got them would be awesome. I am trying to ovoid spending $1500 CN on carbon fibre trim and the piano finish looks like it would scratch if you looked at it funny!
It doesn't look like it does on the website. It looks a lot better in person. I'm not a wood person but it's actually grown on me. It ties the car nicely together.

Not the greatest of pics but you get the idea.

Last edited by jerhu; 03-23-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
Does the ash wood on the door come as part of the ash wood trim package? I thought it was console only - that's pretty awesome. I actually have brushed aluminum on my doors which looks pretty boss against porcelain leather. Personal preferece though.

I'm probably of the limited group of forum members that actually prefers the look of the Piano Black trim to the Ash Wood. I've never been a fan of any wood trim in a car to be honest. I like matte metals or high gloss ploymers / plastics. That being said, keeping the Piano Black trim clean is a huge headache and it's a scratch magnet.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
It looks fantastic! I'm really not a fan of wood trims offered in cars unless it's a quality type on a luxury car like a RR/Bentley or the like.

But the ash wood is very nice. Very sporty all around. Quality/fit/finish is amazing. Love the feel of it. And it's super durable and easy to keep clean.

I actually think I prefer it to CF (Blasphemy, I know!). Maybe I've become jaded on CF since it is being put on and in EVERY friggin car these days, but I like the ash because it's so unique. Never seen it or something similar ever before.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Coupes have alum door trim vs sedans getting matching console and doors.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Coupes have alum door trim vs sedans getting matching console and doors.
Man, that sucks. Not only are coupes ugly, but they get shorted on the door trim
Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 AM

Lexus IS350; BMW 330i
Originally Posted by jerhu
It doesn't look like it does on the website. It looks a lot better in person. I'm not a wood person but it's actually grown on me. It ties the car nicely together.

Not the greatest of pics but you get the idea.

Awesome, and thanks for the pics! Well you guys convinced me, dark ash open pore trim it is. Looking to take advantage of month-end promotions and looks like MB wants to get rid of their 2017 inventory. I was told any custom orders at this point would be 2018sand take 3-4 months. So searching through inventory. Hopefully get the package I want. Musts = Driver's package for that sweet exhaust symphony!, dark ash. Colour - Brilliant blue, Black and white (all metallic) in that order.

Meeting with SA on Monday. Wish me luck!

Ps. Anybody want to take over my IS350 f-sport lease... it doesn't have Dark ash trim but it does have carbon Fibre!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 AM

A Benz and a BMW
Awesome, and thanks for the pics! Well you guys convinced me, dark ash open pore trim it is. Looking to take advantage of month-end promotions and looks like MB wants to get rid of their 2017 inventory. I was told any custom orders at this point would be 2018sand take 3-4 months. So searching through inventory. Hopefully get the package I want. Musts = Driver's package for that sweet exhaust symphony!, dark ash. Colour - Brilliant blue, Black and white (all metallic) in that order.

Meeting with SA on Monday. Wish me luck!

Ps. Anybody want to take over my IS350 f-sport lease... it doesn't have Dark ash trim but it does have carbon Fibre!
I have an IS350 F-Sport in the family and found it to be pretty boss, especially when equipped with the F-Sport exhaust. I'm surprised you found there to be enough of a difference to upgrade! Good luck with returning it man - stealerships are your best friend when you are giving them a potential sale but they become very different when you want to bring back a car early and not buy it's replacement from them.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:04 PM

Lexus IS350; BMW 330i
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
I have an IS350 F-Sport in the family and found it to be pretty boss, especially when equipped with the F-Sport exhaust. I'm surprised you found there to be enough of a difference to upgrade! Good luck with returning it man - stealerships are your best friend when you are giving them a potential sale but they become very different when you want to bring back a car early and not buy it's replacement from them.

Admittedly, I don't have the f-sport exhaust on my lexus but I find it hard to imagine it compares to the grin-inducing "snap, gurgle, pops!' of the C43 performance exhaust. I test-drove it last week (which is why I am in this predicament!) and I couldn't stop grinning! grinning so much my jaw was soar after!

You are right about the stealership. I have 10 payments left and they said it would cost me $2K to get out of my lease. I can always put it up on lease busters which is a lease swapping service here in Canada and save money in exchange for hassle and uncertainty.

sigh.. anyway you put it that test drive is going to set me back a few bucks but, as I told my wife..... it's still cheaper than a mistress!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM

A Benz and a BMW
Admittedly, I don't have the f-sport exhaust on my lexus but I find it hard to imagine it compares to the grin-inducing "snap, gurgle, pops!' of the C43 performance exhaust. I test-drove it last week (which is why I am in this predicament!) and I couldn't stop grinning! grinning so much my jaw was soar after!

You are right about the stealership. I have 10 payments left and they said it would cost me $2K to get out of my lease. I can always put it up on lease busters which is a lease swapping service here in Canada and save money in exchange for hassle and uncertainty.

sigh.. anyway you put it that test drive is going to set me back a few bucks but, as I told my wife..... it's still cheaper than a mistress!
Honestly, I find it hard to imagine going to a quieter exhaust after this one. The switch with the AMG Performance exhaust gives you a perfect balance between subtle and obnoxious. Definitely nicer than some of the aftermarket 'fartbox' solutions I've heard.

I've heard about lease busters quite a bit over the past few years (I'm from Toronto), but I've never met anyone that's successfully listed or bought something on it.

I appreciate you accepting the 'you gotta pay to play' mindset. A lot of people set up false expectations when it comes to breaking out of a contract. Here's to hoping you can get in the car you want soon!

Also, my wife would shank me if I pulled that 'mistress' comment on her LOL Well played sir.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Lexus IS350; BMW 330i

Also, my wife would shank me if I pulled that 'mistress' comment on her LOL Well played sir.
I'm all talk... i didn't add her response which was "Maybe, but both will end in divorce..."

Thanks for the encouragement! i'll keep the forum posted on progress, if anyone cares.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Honestly, I find it hard to imagine going to a quieter exhaust after this one. The switch with the AMG Performance exhaust gives you a perfect balance between subtle and obnoxious. Definitely nicer than some of the aftermarket 'fartbox' solutions I've heard.

I've heard about lease busters quite a bit over the past few years (I'm from Toronto), but I've never met anyone that's successfully listed or bought something on it.

I appreciate you accepting the 'you gotta pay to play' mindset. A lot of people set up false expectations when it comes to breaking out of a contract. Here's to hoping you can get in the car you want soon!

I've used leasebusters to get rid of one of my leases. It's really dependent on how good a deal you got and if you're offering anything. I originally posted my car on kijiji and didn't get that many hits for it but as soon as I put it on Leasebusters I got rid of it within about 2-3 weeks. I was picky about who I wanted to give it to as well as I had certain criteria that I wanted to have for the lease. I did have a lot of inquiries though and my car ended being a bidding war. But you have to know what kind of deal you got for your car and probably look around leasebusters and see what people are offering for the same car you have. In the end I ended up making about $1000 when I walked away from the car but I know that will differ for everything I was just lucky.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43. 2006 Ford GT. 2017 Wrangler. 2010 S4
I'm apparently the minority here. I think the black ash trim looks great in the US build site, so much so that I made my order with it. However, in person it looks much more dull. The website makes it look much richer and darker than it does in person IMO. It looked good to me under the showroom lights as well (hence why I had it on my order), but once I drove a couple cars around with it and saw it in the sun, it looked much duller/grayer to me instead of that really rich dark look it has in the pictures. Just my opinion though, check it out for yourself as many people love it. I don't think it looks bad by any means, it just looks better in the pictures than in reality.

I ended up switching to carbon fiber, which I think is the opposite: It doesn't look very good in the US builder site, but looks great in person, even though CF is a bit played out right now.

If the choice is between the black ash or crappy piano black then 100000% get the black ash, I also think the black ash is much nicer than the linden wood (which again looks totally different in person than in the pictures online, it is much darker in person).

Last edited by 303_AMG; 03-26-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Another thing to consider is that it's actual real wood veneer so every car is going to be slightly different. The two C300 loaners I've had have had completely different grain and levels of "ashy" gray color compared to my car. I like that level of "no two alike-ness."
Old 03-26-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Initially wanted to go with this interior finish as it also goes to the door panels also (unlike the others)

Unfortunately car sold so ended up with the carbon fiber trim (just wish the door panels match like the dark ash wood, instead of them being the aluminum)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 AMG C43
"Stealerships"
That is FUNNY !!

I'm going to have to borrow that word... love it and so accurate!