Sponsored by:

9-Speed Transmission Concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti G37S 6 MT; MBC43AMG
9-Speed Transmission Concerns

Brand new C43 owner (took delivery on Wednesday). First MB...and first automatic transmission!

Already I have some concerns about how this transmission shifts. Iam sure I can get used to being in 5th gear going 35 mph. Sport+ mode seems to help with that and hoping if I force the gears lower with the paddles, the adaptive transmission will "learn" my driving style.

I have had what seems like very bad mis-shifts a few times already, and I had noticed a similar issue when I had a loaner C43 for an extended test drive. There are instances where the gear shifted so abruptly, i thought I hit a small pothole. I need to pay attention to which mode I am in when it happens, but I am pretty certain it happens when the car is downshifting (no manual paddle shifting being done). There was an instance tonight where the xmission seemed to slip on a rapid acceleration...and took a second or two to find the gear. Finally, there are times when the transmission holds the gear a bit to long (typically a very low gear....like 2 or 3), and feels like it is not going to shift....though I think this particular oddity could be caused by my own hesitation (I lay off the gas a bit when I sense this is happening and I think the car then decides not to shift since I am easing off). I had a friend drive the car, who is an experienced MB driver, and he saw some of the same issues.

Any thoughts on this new 9-speed...or reports of similar issues? I don't think something is wrong with the car...but I would also hope MB would have tested this new system so thoroughly, that they would have found/fixed any idiosyncracies. Friend suggests resetting the xmission to break any bad habits it learned in transport...but car is brand new with 113 miles on it!

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
It gets better after 1000 miles
Old 06-02-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by 2017C43AMG
Brand new C43 owner (took delivery on Wednesday). First MB...and first automatic transmission!

Already I have some concerns about how this transmission shifts. Iam sure I can get used to being in 5th gear going 35 mph. Sport+ mode seems to help with that and hoping if I force the gears lower with the paddles, the adaptive transmission will "learn" my driving style.

I have had what seems like very bad mis-shifts a few times already, and I had noticed a similar issue when I had a loaner C43 for an extended test drive. There are instances where the gear shifted so abruptly, i thought I hit a small pothole. I need to pay attention to which mode I am in when it happens, but I am pretty certain it happens when the car is downshifting (no manual paddle shifting being done). There was an instance tonight where the xmission seemed to slip on a rapid acceleration...and took a second or two to find the gear. Finally, there are times when the transmission holds the gear a bit to long (typically a very low gear....like 2 or 3), and feels like it is not going to shift....though I think this particular oddity could be caused by my own hesitation (I lay off the gas a bit when I sense this is happening and I think the car then decides not to shift since I am easing off). I had a friend drive the car, who is an experienced MB driver, and he saw some of the same issues.

Any thoughts on this new 9-speed...or reports of similar issues? I don't think something is wrong with the car...but I would also hope MB would have tested this new system so thoroughly, that they would have found/fixed any idiosyncracies. Friend suggests resetting the xmission to break any bad habits it learned in transport...but car is brand new with 113 miles on it!

Thanks.
I thought it was part of the transmission learning/breaking in process...but mine did it even at 2000 miles. Under hard acceleration, it would rev like I was on ice, slipping like a worn out clutch. 1st gear was the worst whether in manual or auto. Then, as you described rough shifting. I kept an eye on transmission temp as well. When cold it was worse. Even shifting from 3rd to 4th at redline it would slip badly. I too wondered if the tranny was done as my loaner C43 was perfect.

They did a software update and it is much better at shifting, not as "bang-bang", but still quick but properly smooth. Wait a bit but I'm sure you will need the update as many have.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:04 AM

BMW 435i 2015, on order 2018 c43 or 63
Is the shifting problem related to the driving mode? I just ordered a 2018 and will find out sometime in September.
I would expect the transmission to delay upshifts in sport or sport plus.
Accordingly in regular driving hold downshifts for economy.
I had hoped for an intelligent transmission .
Old 06-03-2017, 10:24 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by Damon44
Is the shifting problem related to the driving mode? I just ordered a 2018 and will find out sometime in September.
I would expect the transmission to delay upshifts in sport or sport plus.
Accordingly in regular driving hold downshifts for economy.
I had hoped for an intelligent transmission .

My car was all modes
Old 06-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
This is to a large extent, hate it or love it, a large part of the Mercedes driving experience in some of their recent models. If you are used to a transmission like the ZF 8HP, it can be quite jarring to drive a C43 at first. You get used to it and start enjoying it all the more if you have the performance exhaust.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:20 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
This is to a large extent, hate it or love it, a large part of the Mercedes driving experience in some of their recent models. If you are used to a transmission like the ZF 8HP, it can be quite jarring to drive a C43 at first. You get used to it and start enjoying it all the more if you have the performance exhaust.

Did you have the software update? It made worlds of difference
Old 06-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
Originally Posted by coladin
Did you have the software update? It made worlds of difference
Not yet sir, I'm terrified that a software update will result in a more muted exhaust tone! I've read horror stories.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:56 PM

C43
just break in it gently, dont hummer gas pedal until 1500-1800km, let it calibrate and learn your habits, it will get silky smooth around ~3k km. In any scenarion other than flooring the gas push it smooth with some time it will settle. And btw you should break in in comfort mode.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:02 PM

C43
-
Old 06-05-2017, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 690 Likes on 540 Posts
c
Originally Posted by arkadnik
just break in it gently, dont hummer gas pedal until 1500-1800km, let it calibrate and learn your habits, it will get silky smooth around ~3k km. In any scenarion other than flooring the gas push it smooth with some time it will settle. And btw you should break in in comfort mode.
lol what?

Drive like you normally wouldn't so that it adjusts to your habits.

great advice. 10/10. would read again.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 AM

C43
Originally Posted by alexasa
lol what?

Drive like you normally wouldn't so that it adjusts to your habits.

great advice. 10/10. would read again.
my bad, should have added couple words to make it clear
"... until 1500-1800km, after that let it calibrate and learn your habits ..."
Old 06-09-2017, 08:54 PM

2017 c43
Hello, a 2017 C43 sedan owner here, after 4,000 miles I've experienced:

- The well known Rocking back and forth in S+ , I believe this to be normal, as engine is in high rpms, the same happened to my R6 motorcycle in high rpms. So I stay away of S+ for city traffic.

- miss-shifts in S. Normally when almost braking to a halt, and then gassing it, it hesitates for a couple of seconds.

- Most concerning of all, 2 times I've experienced cero acceleration ( or increase in engine RPM's) when flooring the pedal to let's say get into a highway. no acceleration whatsoever, then after returning pedal to regular position it worked as usual. happened while driving in S. Neither time was the car fully stopped, or the engine stopped in start-stop.

Coming from a 350z, I miss having more power at low rpms. But in general very happy with car.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:54 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by Jerryrodz
Hello, a 2017 C43 sedan owner here, after 4,000 miles I've experienced:

- The well known Rocking back and forth in S+ , I believe this to be normal, as engine is in high rpms, the same happened to my R6 motorcycle in high rpms. So I stay away of S+ for city traffic.

- miss-shifts in S. Normally when almost braking to a halt, and then gassing it, it hesitates for a couple of seconds.

- Most concerning of all, 2 times I've experienced cero acceleration ( or increase in engine RPM's) when flooring the pedal to let's say get into a highway. no acceleration whatsoever, then after returning pedal to regular position it worked as usual. happened while driving in S. Neither time was the car fully stopped, or the engine stopped in start-stop.

Coming from a 350z, I miss having more power at low rpms. But in general very happy with car.
My issues disappeared after the software update. Smoother, more responsive and no more slipping at WOT. If you hadn't got it yet, bring her in.
The following users liked this post:
Jerryrodz (06-12-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 520i
In Sport+ mine does this big jerk from second to first gear, and then a little jerk half way from whatever speed it is to standstill in first gear.

In Sport a minor jerk from second to first but can be mitigated if I am being super careful with the brakes.

Been told by my family to not drive in Sport+ or Sport when they are in the car

Does any one of you experience the same thing (the jerkiness, not the family thing) and will the software update help?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:04 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by Godric1600
In Sport+ mine does this big jerk from second to first gear, and then a little jerk half way from whatever speed it is to standstill in first gear.

In Sport a minor jerk from second to first but can be mitigated if I am being super careful with the brakes.

Does any one of you experience the same thing (the jerkiness, not the family thing) and will the software update help?

Yes, get the update.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 PM

Infiniti G37S 6 MT; MBC43AMG
Originally Posted by Godric1600

Yes - very similar. I often have a hard knock/jerk in the downshift from 3rd to 2nd while braking (like stopping at traffic light, or having to slow down in a parking lot). I think it is mostly in S mode (not as bad in S+). Also, when inching into any parking spaces, there is often a jerk and lurch as the transmission drops into 1st right before full stop. I put in C when pulling into my garage so it doesn't lurch into my front wall as I inch up. Of course, have to turn off the Eco stop first, as the car jumps a bit if you fry to inch forward when it starts back up. All very annoying for such a $$$$ car.

Sometimes it's great and I thought it just took a few hundred miles to break in...but this weekend, did a few annoying things. This is my first automatic and it is driving me crazy. Spoke to AMG engineer at dealership but he did not mention an available software update. He did mention them, generally, and told me to be careful because it may tame the car too much (though he did not think it would be an issue on a C43).