Sponsored by:

Help Replace Bad OEM Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Help Replace Bad OEM Wipers

From having a harsh ride (even in comfort mode) to wind noises that could not be kept out of the cabin, Mercedes have done much of a terrible job in keeping their build quality above Lexus. I say Lexus because I came from one and it does a better job with comfortability. Even the seats are more comfortable.

Now do not focus on what I said above.

What I need help with is to replace these cheap OEM wipers that Mercedes provided for this C43.

Honestly, I expected Mercedes to have overall better build quality than most of its competitors, especially their Japanese counterparts.

My 2014 Lexus IS350 had SMOOTH WINDSHIELD WIPERS that sounds so good when in use.

Now it was raining the other day and I turn the wipers on my C43, it creates a loud rubbing sound every time it wipes the windshield. What is worse, it left a scratch mark on my windshield and I hope it goes away............ later. I didn't bother with it because it would happen again.

The windshield wipers look really low quality compare to the Lexus I had. Once I started to use it, I was certain it's of low quality compared to the Japanese wipers that Lexus provided.

I CANNOT HELP IT BUT TO ASK EVERYONE, WHY DOES MERCEDES COST SO MUCH TO PURCHASE AND MAINTAIN, BUT THEIR CARS BUILD QUALITY IS NOT IN MANY WAYS BETTER THAN THE LEXUS???

If you do not have disposable income, do not purchase a Mercedes. What am I saying, it was one of the most terrible car investment I've ever done.

Well, read this before you all get upset with me telling the truth. I do need help finding a new windshield wiper for my C43 AMG. I found only 1 other aftermarket replacement that fits into this car and I would have to special order it from Kragen O Reily.

My butt hurts in long road trip with this car, but in the Lexus it was so comfortable...................................

Once the Lexus put those turbo engines into their cars, you guys should go test drive it and realize everything I've said that is better than Mercedes.

I only have 2 positive things to say about this C43 AMG over my previous Lexus.

1. AMG EXHAUST sounds amazing lol the cop pulled me over the other day for speeding with an Audi and well he was nice at the end...... he loved the sound of my exhaust...... you know hehe

2. The interior beats the Lexus

3. This is not a positive thing, but I have to say it. The other day I lost control of my car by trying to turn my steering wheel fast to swirl left and right. The Lexus I had handled better and I had more confidence driving that over the C43.

Man I guess I sort of expected the handling to not be as great. Most car journalists and magazines have started ranking Lexus, Cadillac, BMW as the top 3 handling and driver's car.

meh this post was just a vent I didn't even bother correcting any grammar.

Please be honest in your replies to this. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2017, 07:39 AM

c43 amg
I have the same problem. Wondering if it gets better over time? Luckily it does not rain too often in Australia.

As a side note, I came from a 2014 is350 f sport and can confirm that the c43 is a much more superior car. I do agree that the ride was nice on the lexus but it lacked power and prestige. Handling is definately better on the c43.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by ran888

I have the same problem. Wondering if it gets better over time?
Yes it does.

The problem is not the wiper blades, it's the water repellent coating Mercedes puts on the car & glass at the factory which is the problem. I personally used a really good glass cleaner a couple times, and after a month or so the chattering went away, others have used a clay bar or some sort of glass polisher.

Last edited by MASSC450; 06-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
This thread should be called "I regretted trading my Lexus, Part 2 (and I also need new wipers)."

Seriously, man, we get it. A few years ago I bought an Audi that I quickly realized I did not enjoy. I sold it and got a different car. Problem solved.
The following 2 users liked this post by GordonGEICO:
jerhu (06-12-2017), TechnoPatat (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
I replaced my windshield wiper arms with Honda Accord wiper arms.. problem solved
Old 06-11-2017, 06:18 AM

C43 AMG
I guess once I wear out the OEM tires and replace them with Bridgestone Sport or Michelin Pilot Super then the handling would be better and won't slip as much............ at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Also just checked with Kragen O Reily and they told me the car is too new and Mercedes are trying to keep most of their parts within their sales. Therefore, can't find a single aftermarket wiper that fits into this car. Why does the Bay Area like to rain so much???

Last edited by kelvin105; 06-11-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by kelvin105

Also just checked with Kragen O Reily and they told me the car is too new and Mercedes are trying to keep most of their parts within their sales. Therefore, can't find a single aftermarket wiper that fits into this car.
Did you not read my post? The stock wiper blades are NOT the cause of your chattering wipers. The water repelling coating on the windshield from the factory is the problem...you have to remove the coating, and the wipers will be fine in the rain.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:06 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by MASSC450
Did you not read my post? The stock wiper blades are NOT the cause of your chattering wipers. The water repelling coating on the windshield from the factory is the problem...you have to remove the coating, and the wipers will be fine in the rain.
That defeats the purpose of the water repellant coating. Lexus had water repellant coating that worked perfectly fine with the windshield wipers.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 sedan
But Lexus interior smells like polar bear farts..that's even worse
Old 06-12-2017, 05:41 AM

C43
I guess once I wear out the OEM tires and replace them with Bridgestone Sport or Michelin Pilot Super then the handling would be better and won't slip as much............ at least that's what I'm hoping for
I don't really get it, why wait until OEM wear and expirience bad ride? Just buy Michelin PS4/PS4S and enjoy the car.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 AM

C43
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
But Lexus interior smells like polar bear farts..that's even worse
Where did you have a chance to check polar bear fart smell ?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by arkadnik
I don't really get it, why wait until OEM wear and expirience bad ride? Just buy Michelin PS4/PS4S and enjoy the car.
This!
Old 06-14-2017, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Yes it does.

The problem is not the wiper blades, it's the water repellent coating Mercedes puts on the car & glass at the factory which is the problem. I personally used a really good glass cleaner a couple times, and after a month or so the chattering went away, others have used a clay bar or some sort of glass polisher.
This^^^.

Clean the windshield with solvent. Denatured ETOH or MEK work fine and shouldn't harm the paint or plastics. DO NOT USE ACETONE! It will quickly discolor the plastic trim.

If you are unable to do this yourself just take it in for service, tell the service writer that the wipers are chattering and ask them to clean the windshield.

Once it's clean, do not apply rain x or any car wash spray wax to it. Car wash spray wax will make the chattering return but it's much easier to clean off than the factory paint sealant.

Oh BTW, Lexus = Geriatric

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Old 06-14-2017, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
That defeats the purpose of the water repellant coating. Lexus had water repellant coating that worked perfectly fine with the windshield wipers.
It's not a water repellent coating. It's a paint sealant. Think of it as cosmoline for cars. It's to help protect the paint during transport.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
F

3. This is not a positive thing, but I have to say it. The other day I lost control of my car by trying to turn my steering wheel fast to swirl left and right. The Lexus I had handled better and I had more confidence driving that over the C43.

Man I guess I sort of expected the handling to not be as great. Most car journalists and magazines have started ranking Lexus, Cadillac, BMW as the top 3 handling and driver's car.

meh this post was just a vent I didn't even bother correcting any grammar.

Please be honest in your replies to this. Thank you!

Lexus never ranks in the top tier for handling or performance. They frequently rank in the top tier for comfort.

If you lost control of your car during a panic maneuver, you probably need to improve your driving skills. Your C43 is much more powerful than your previous Lexus and will be less forgiving of some poor driving techniques.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
Lexus never ranks in the top tier for handling or performance. They frequently rank in the top tier for comfort.

If you lost control of your car during a panic maneuver, you probably need to improve your driving skills. Your C43 is much more powerful than your previous Lexus and will be less forgiving of some poor driving techniques.
Originally Posted by kelvin105 View Post
Why in the world do so many people have reading problems.

Last edited by Soft; 06-14-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:32 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr. J

Seems like many Mercedes owners are outdated in their updates with the modern cars.

Lexus' had been ranked by major car journalists and magazines as one of the superior handling vehicles in this generation. Search up car and driver's review on the current Lexus models. The only thing it lacks is a replacement of the naturally aspirated engine with turbos, which Lexus is slowly doing so. I'm assuming they are analyzing to ensure the turbo engines they put in would be just as reliable as their brand is known for.

I cannot stress to say more, but the new 2018 LS which is a competitor to the S class will go from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Lexus claims in an interview that it would put out such numbers with its new twin turbo engine.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...lder-flagship/

Anyone who's a car enthusiast should already have known the new phenomenon of Lexus is it's a fun to drive car. Once my C43 is about to reach its warranty limit, I will switch back to the new Lexus with turbo engines.

I'm giving my honest opinion on driving and handling. If you are a die-heart Mercedes fan or are an amateur in sports car then let me tell you. Mercedes has never been known for a drivers car. They bought and adopted the AMG brand which I thought would be just as fun to drive as a Lexus. I was so wrong...... Maybe I should have test drove the M4 instead.

That said, I expected the Mercedes to offer superior comfort than the Lexus. Which even that part, it failed to do so.

I also think I know why the road and wind noise is coming into the C43 cabin. The windows is much thinner than the Lexus. When I bought the Lexus, the salesman knock on the glass to show me how much thicker it's for the new generation. I tried knocking on my C43's window and it's noticeably thinner than the Lexus.

Like I said the only reason why I bought the C43 was because of the "Mercedes Badge", the design of the interior cabin, and the sound of the AMG exhaust. Also the 0-60 speed.

Those who reply needs to be fair with what they say and give support from sources.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
My opinion is that you are upset about the car and now calling out some of the minor nuances. Every car and car manufacturer has it's defects.

I can tell you that because currently I have an Infiniti, Lexus and the Benz, and I can complain and praise every single one.

You are spending too much time griping rather than enjoying what you have. If you consider the issues above problems, you will miss out in life.

I do have to share that Mercedes has been the best brand I have owned, even with some of the minor issues that come with it. Never fails to put a grin on my face when I step on the gas, feel safe when i drive it, and makes me turn around to glance at it when I park it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG

I don't know where the heck you get your info, but the latest test drive comparison I saw between the best handling cars in their segment: Alfa Romero Giulia Quadrifoglio, the BMW M3 with Comp pkg., Cadillac ATS-V, and the Mercedes AMG C63s...didn't even mention a Lexus or an Infiniti.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:32 AM

C43 AMG
I don't know where the heck you get your info, but the latest test drive comparison I saw between the best handling cars in their segment: Alfa Romero Giulia Quadrifoglio, the BMW M3 with Comp pkg., Cadillac ATS-V, and the Mercedes AMG C63s...didn't even mention a Lexus or an Infiniti.

Gotta Love It When You Totally Ignore Car And Driver (Which Is The Most Popular Source For Car Enthusiast To Go To)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Guess What? Mercedes Is Not Even In The Comparison. Why Don't You Go Test Drive A Lexus Then Tell Me How Comfortable And How Well It Handles. It's Also Extremely Fun To Drive.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 sedan
If Lexus developed a descent engine and transmission they might be considered in the same class as the c43..
Old 06-15-2017, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG

Guess What? Mercedes Is Not Even In The Comparison. Why Don't You Go Test Drive A Lexus Then Tell Me How Comfortable And How Well It Handles. It's Also Extremely Fun To Drive.
As if Car & Driver is the end all, end all of car comparisons...

I did, a 2015 Lexus IS350 F Sport AWD, and I felt the car paled in comparison to my current C450 in just about EVERY category. The outdated 6 sp transmission was especially a big let down as the AWD versions don't get the more updated 8 sp transmission.