New to MB. Thinking about a c43 or c63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Porsche Cayman S
New to MB. Thinking about a c43 or c63

All,

I am totally new to the MB world. Looking for some thoughts and feedback from you guys.

Drove my first late model MB a few days ago. Was a 17 C43. I was thoroughly impressed with the car. I have been in several E series cars, and frankly I prefer the interior of the C series then any other MB. Seemed like the power of the C43 was good enough for me. Not quite as responsive as my Porsche, but good enough. The transmission (used the paddle shifters for the whole test drive) seem really responsive. Better then I expected.

I am currently driving a 2014 Porsche Cayman S. Generally, I like small rear wheal drive sports cars. The Porsche is a stick and when I bought it, I figured it would probably be my last stick.

Loosing my daily driver (daughter is getting her licence in 6 weeks and it will be hers!). Looking to get a nice comfortable sedan that puts a smile on my face when I drive.

I have noticed the C63's over the past few years. Just found out about the C43.

The Porsche has enough power to keep me happy. Have never had any desire for more power. For me it is more about the driving then the raw power.

In general, I would prefer to put my money into premium options then the power train.

I do like the exterior styling of the current (17) C series. Not too worried about the exterior looks for my next car. This one is about the driving experience more then anything else.

The car I drove had the Natural Grain Black Ash Wood Trim. I absolutely loved that. Very high on my priority list. The sales guy said it was new this year!

He also went on about a GPS option that was a SD card. Did not make much sense to me.

The technology is fairly important to me. A good GPS and stereo is important to me. Did not like the touch pad, but I will get used to it.

Sorry about the long story, but I trying to give you guys an idea about me to better help me figure out the best car for me.

Here are some questions I would like some feedback / opinions on.

1) New C43 or a used C63? If used C63, what are major differences in years.

2) Any must have options.

3) Thoughts about the technology packages. Must have GPS, iPod access and controls from the head unit, and would very much like to play soitify directly from the head unit (I am an Android user)

4) Is there anything major that you get (or options) with the C63 that is missing on the C43 (other then the horse power).

5) Any other thoughts?

6) If I do look for a used C63 (or C43 for that matter), anything to watch out for?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Ben Levy
All,

I am totally new to the MB world. Looking for some thoughts and feedback from you guys.

Drove my first late model MB a few days ago. Was a 17 C43. I was thoroughly impressed with the car. I have been in several E series cars, and frankly I prefer the interior of the C series then any other MB. Seemed like the power of the C43 was good enough for me. Not quite as responsive as my Porsche, but good enough. The transmission (used the paddle shifters for the whole test drive) seem really responsive. Better then I expected.

I am currently driving a 2014 Porsche Cayman S. Generally, I like small rear wheal drive sports cars. The Porsche is a stick and when I bought it, I figured it would probably be my last stick.

Loosing my daily driver (daughter is getting her licence in 6 weeks and it will be hers!). Looking to get a nice comfortable sedan that puts a smile on my face when I drive.

I have noticed the C63's over the past few years. Just found out about the C43.

The Porsche has enough power to keep me happy. Have never had any desire for more power. For me it is more about the driving then the raw power.

In general, I would prefer to put my money into premium options then the power train.

I do like the exterior styling of the current (17) C series. Not too worried about the exterior looks for my next car. This one is about the driving experience more then anything else.

The car I drove had the Natural Grain Black Ash Wood Trim. I absolutely loved that. Very high on my priority list. The sales guy said it was new this year!

He also went on about a GPS option that was a SD card. Did not make much sense to me.

The technology is fairly important to me. A good GPS and stereo is important to me. Did not like the touch pad, but I will get used to it.

Sorry about the long story, but I trying to give you guys an idea about me to better help me figure out the best car for me.

3) Thoughts about the technology packages. Must have GPS, iPod access and controls from the head unit, and would very much like to play soitify directly from the head unit (I am an Android user)

4) Is there anything major that you get (or options) with the C63 that is missing on the C43 (other then the horse power).

5) Any other thoughts?

6) If I do look for a used C63 (or C43 for that matter), anything to watch out for?

I drive a C450 (MY 2016), same as the C43 but an orphaned model, so to speak.

Main diffs between models, and I'm not covering much except big bullet points here:
  • C43 is a modified 3.0L V6 generating about 360 hp, C63S is a 4.0L V8 generating 503 hp
  • C43 is AWD (4Matic), C63/63S is RWD only
  • C43 has the new 9-speed transmission, C63/63S has the 7-speed speedshift MCT.
  • There are diffs between the C43 and C63 in terms of outward appearance but to the casual, non-MB obsessed viewer, you'd be hard pressed to spot them

The C43 is a heck of a lot of fun to drive and the cockpit is stellar, among the best you'll find at the price point. The C43 is AMG-lite, kind of like the M sport series from BMW or the S-series from Audi. You won't complain about the performance but, once you get a taste of the true AMG in the C63S, you'll feel a wee tinge of sadness. The raw, mean grumble from the C63S and the all-enveloping cloak of aggression will turn you into an AMG-loving fiend.

Whatever you do, get the Performance Exhaust (U78) option.

The AMG vehicles depreciate fast. If you buy one new you can expect perhaps 55 - 60% residual value in 3 yrs. At the same time, AMG lease rates are abysmally bad, with interest rates 5 - 6% or more. BMW and Audi are comparative bargains if leasing. You'll probably want to buy.

Your best bet might be to get a CPO MY2017 C63S, where you will often see 20%+ discounts off MSRP. Given that MY2017 just closed, you can find some very low-mileage, CPO C63S vehicles relatively cheaply, with lots of warranty left. I found this one for $72,900 with only 1,300 miles on the clock.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:03 PM

2014 Porsche Cayman S
Thanks for the feedback. I usually buy my cars straight up. Finance a bit of the Porsche, but regardless, would be buying and putting down a very big down payment.

I did not realize that all the C43 were AWD. Not something I would want, but not an issue.

As I said, I was impressed with the transmission. Is the C43 one better / worse then the C63 one? Or just more appropriate.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
Thanks for the feedback. I usually buy my cars straight up. Finance a bit of the Porsche, but regardless, would be buying and putting down a very big down payment.

I did not realize that all the C43 were AWD. Not something I would want, but not an issue.

As I said, I was impressed with the transmission. Is the C43 one better / worse then the C63 one? Or just more appropriate.
The C43 tranny doesn't have to put up with the torque put out by the big V8. The C63's 7-speed MCT is described in more detail here. The E63S has the same type of MCT tranny but 9-speed. The C43 has an AMG-enhanced 9-speed transmission but it's not MCT.

My C450's transmission is fine, especially in S or S+ mode. It's smooth, fast, and responsive. I imagine the C43's is a little smoother owing to its having 9 speeds vs the C450's 7.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:21 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon

5) Any other thoughts?

1 - Unless you're extremely lucky to find a new 17, you're really looking at getting a new 18 which should hopefully be with dealers from September onwards. IMO, new 43 over used 63.

2 - most people say performance exhaust. I say 360 degree surround camera, Burmester sound system, pano roof. The rest are really down to you.

3 - regarding tech, the Burmester is far better than Audio 20. I heard Android Auto /Apple CarPlay are due in the 18s, else you could do Spotify via Bluetooth/ USB cable.

4 - race start is the only thing the 63 gets that the 43 doesn't get AFAIK.

5 - take it out for an extended test drive, make sure it has everything you want.

6 - some people treat them like they were stolen, buyer beware...
The following users liked this post:
Ben Levy (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
1) C43 is a mass produced engine, ready to go from mile one. C63 is the classic AMG one man, one engine build that requires some break-in. Go with whatever level of crazy you want! If MPG is a concern, I regularly pull 25-27mpg tanks for extended work drives. If not, MB V8 always sounds great. C63 has tweaked body styling...subtle, but definitely different.

2)Performance exhaust is how everyone will respond (and some already have). Wish I took the 360 cam package. Just get it all.

3)Refer to #2. Just get it all. While I agree the touchpad is gimmicky, as with anything, you quickly get used to it. You should be able to Bluetooth/cord whatever audio you'd like through the system. Whatever you do, don't skimp on the Audio20...get the Burmester. Bigger screen, built in maps, etc.

4)Refer to #1

5)You'll be hard pressed to find a dealer allow an extended drive with the C63, but test-drives are possible. This goes back to the one man, one engine mentality. People get finicky about someone else driving their hand built engine first. Black Ash trim is definitely the best trim finish. No fingerprints or scratching. Every one is unique because of the wood grain.

6)If you insist on pre-owned, just make sure it's a CPO and you'll have no problems thanks to warranty. Otherwise, order and patiently wait...you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Ben Levy (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:34 AM

2014 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by guhvies
1 - Unless you're extremely lucky to find a new 17, you're really looking at getting a new 18 which should hopefully be with dealers from September onwards. IMO, new 43 over used 63.

2 - most people say performance exhaust. I say 360 degree surround camera, Burmester sound system, pano roof. The rest are really down to you.

3 - regarding tech, the Burmester is far better than Audio 20. I heard Android Auto /Apple CarPlay are due in the 18s, else you could do Spotify via Bluetooth/ USB cable.

4 - race start is the only thing the 63 gets that the 43 doesn't get AFAIK.

5 - take it out for an extended test drive, make sure it has everything you want.

6 - some people treat them like they were stolen, buyer beware...
guhives and RichardCranium3,

Thank you so much for your feedback. That is exactly what I am looking for. It usually takes me about 3 months to figure out my next car. Open to waiting for a custom build if necessary. I am in Houston, so lots of cars come though here.

As far as the sports exhaust. I have one on my Cayman. Turn it on every once in a while, but would not miss it. The C43 I drove had it, and really, it did not sound great compared to the Porsche. Again, if I was that concerned about the performance gains from opening the exhaust valves, would be looking at a C63 anyway.

Have a race start on the Cayman. Never used it!

One thing I did notice looking at some pictures is the shifter. I really liked the shifter on the stearing rack in the new C43.

Again, thank you all for your advice. This goes a long way. I have not started to actively sell the Porsche. Do have a local guy who is pretty interested in it though.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
guhives and RichardCranium3,

Thank you so much for your feedback. That is exactly what I am looking for. It usually takes me about 3 months to figure out my next car. Open to waiting for a custom build if necessary. I am in Houston, so lots of cars come though here.

As far as the sports exhaust. I have one on my Cayman. Turn it on every once in a while, but would not miss it. The C43 I drove had it, and really, it did not sound great compared to the Porsche. Again, if I was that concerned about the performance gains from opening the exhaust valves, would be looking at a C63 anyway.

Have a race start on the Cayman. Never used it!

One thing I did notice looking at some pictures is the shifter. I really liked the shifter on the stearing rack in the new C43.

Again, thank you all for your advice. This goes a long way. I have not started to actively sell the Porsche. Do have a local guy who is pretty interested in it though.
I'm curious, what exactly is "race start" in a manual transmission Porsche Cayman?

Also if additional power is not on your list of desirable options, why consider a C63?

A C43 loaded up with options (like what we ended up building) is both a pleasure to own and to drive.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:48 AM

2014 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I'm curious, what exactly is "race start" in a manual transmission Porsche Cayman?

Also if additional power is not on your list of desirable options, why consider a C63?

A C43 loaded up with options (like what we ended up building) is both a pleasure to own and to drive.

So, now that you mention it, "launch control" in a manual would be pretty stupid. Although it does exist in some cars. Think I was getting confused. There is a chrono option that will store a bunch of performance data and your GPS data that is for tracking the car. The "race start" simply starts the first lap on the chrono. Again, never used it.

Guess what I am after here is trying to figure out if I will miss anything by going with a C43 over a C63. From the feedback I am getting, my first instinct is correct. Buy a car that you will be happy with 99.5% of the time and not sacrifice for the 0.5% that you want that pure adrenaline rush of power.

At this point, I have decided that the C43 would be a much better option for me.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
So, now that you mention it, "launch control" in a manual would be pretty stupid. Although it does exist in some cars. Think I was getting confused. There is a chrono option that will store a bunch of performance data and your GPS data that is for tracking the car. The "race start" simply starts the first lap on the chrono. Again, never used it.

Guess what I am after here is trying to figure out if I will miss anything by going with a C43 over a C63. From the feedback I am getting, my first instinct is correct. Buy a car that you will be happy with 99.5% of the time and not sacrifice for the 0.5% that you want that pure adrenaline rush of power.

At this point, I have decided that the C43 would be a much better option for me.
Yep, launch control is only available with PDK equipped Porsche cars that also have the Sport Chrono option. It came standard on my 991.1 Turbo and also on my new 991.2 Turbo S.

First world problems indeed.... c43 or c63?
I'm sure you'll be happy either way.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
You can disable the touch device - I use it as a hand rest and navigate with the turn/shuffle knob.

I would get the active LED head lights, performance exhaust and 360 camera.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
I was on the fence between the two. Ultimately, the AWD, the newer/better 9sp transmission, and the overall better practicality of the C43 won out. I don't miss the power difference 99% of the time, though I do miss the C63 flared fenders and longer hood a bit. The absolute headache I got from all my local dealers when trying to negotiate for a C63 was a factor, too. C63 would have been 0% off and pleading with the sales manager to put in an order--not the kind of game I like to play.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
lucky daughter

I have a 2017 C43 coupe and I love it. I've driven the C63S and it's great too, but more than I need on a daily basis. Or ever for that matter, but it was fun.

The options I really like are the:
ventilated seats
Heads up display
LED headlights
Pano roof

I preferred to get a C43 with more options than a base model C63 or M4 for the same cost.

The real question here is tucked neatly in your relatively long post. Is your daughter getting a 2014 Porsche Cayman S as her first car?
Old 07-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
All,

5) Any other thoughts?

1. I prefer new cars, although a C63 is a different machine, it will have probably been caned regularly...and the maintenance is not cheap on these cars

2. I don't like pleather, although it is better than others, go with the leather. The performance exhaust. Burmester.

3. the car is all up to snuff tech-wise. Nav is excellent, you can get heads up display, has all those nannies that are the rage nowadays ( although I prefer to not have any of them). Ipod plug in in your center console, 2 plugs actually.

4. Can't think of any other than the V8 and RWD

5. Excellent daily driver, as mine is. A little on the stiff side compared to my C400, but you seem like the type that would be used to a stiffer ride! Exhaust is hilarious. Just a nice place to sit with a lovely high quality interior.

6. Brakes and tires. This platform is notorious for its consumption for both.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infiniti G35 coupe 20016
@Ben Levy, I too am in the same predicament. I have test drove the C43 amg sedan and loved it especially with the Performance exhaust. I have to admit though I am starting to lean to the C63s 2016/2017 models since they have been coming down but not by much, not to mention I love the growl from its performance exhaust on the c63s models. I will more than likely test drive the C63s model then decide from there, at this point which ever I can get more bang for my buck that's what I will go with, good luck!

Last edited by Futureowner; 07-06-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: messed up
Old 07-06-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
We ordered and took deliver of a C43 sedan about 2 months ago and love it. We had no interest in a pre-owned C63, as the maintenance on the "Full AMG" - One man one engine cars is quite pricey relative to regular MBs and C43s are closer to standard MBs. In addition, living in the northeast AWD was a major factor in our deciding to go with a C43.

Overall, we love driving the C43. Its fun to drive, comfortable, the interior is beautiful, and the exterior IMHO is far more attractive than a current 3 series or Audi A4/S4.

For options we stuck with the 18" stock wheels as we have some rough roads...so I didn't want to go to 19's on a daily driver. Also, something to consider a few recent reviewer in Car and Driver or R&T complained about the stiffness of the 19" wheels and lower profile tires that go with them...they wished they had a chance to sample a C43 on 18s. I didn't think the ride on the 19's was that stiff, but its a personal choice.

Options, we chose, Premium 4 package (which gives you most of the options & we really like the active LED headlights), parktronic, sport exhaust, leather interior (we don't like alcantara), plus ventilated seats.

We also have a 981 Cayman S (a stick with sport chrono) and I like the MB sport exhaust more than the PSE. Also, make sure you are absolutely certain you want to sell you Cayman. A friend sold his base model 981 and got an Audi S4 (with far more power than has base Cayman had), and he misses his Cayman. He said, all that power in a heavier front engine car, is no substitute for the lighter more agile Cayman. I love both cars...but I can certainly understand his missing having a dedicate sports car compared to a sports sedan. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide! Cheers!
Old 07-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infiniti G35 coupe 20016
Originally Posted by Dino944
We ordered and took deliver of a C43 sedan about 2 months ago and love it. We had no interest in a pre-owned C63, as the maintenance on the "Full AMG" - One man one engine cars is quite pricey relative to regular MBs and C43s are closer to standard MBs. In addition, living in the northeast AWD was a major factor in our deciding to go with a C43.

Overall, we love driving the C43. Its fun to drive, comfortable, the interior is beautiful, and the exterior IMHO is far more attractive than a current 3 series or Audi A4/S4.

For options we stuck with the 18" stock wheels as we have some rough roads...so I didn't want to go to 19's on a daily driver. Also, something to consider a few recent reviewer in Car and Driver or R&T complained about the stiffness of the 19" wheels and lower profile tires that go with them...they wished they had a chance to sample a C43 on 18s. I didn't think the ride on the 19's was that stiff, but its a personal choice.

Options, we chose, Premium 4 package (which gives you most of the options & we really like the active LED headlights), parktronic, sport exhaust, leather interior (we don't like alcantara), plus ventilated seats.

We also have a 981 Cayman S (a stick with sport chrono) and I like the MB sport exhaust more than the PSE. Also, make sure you are absolutely certain you want to sell you Cayman. A friend sold his base model 981 and got an Audi S4 (with far more power than has base Cayman had), and he misses his Cayman. He said, all that power in a heavier front engine car, is no substitute for the lighter more agile Cayman. I love both cars...but I can certainly understand his missing having a dedicate sports car compared to a sports sedan. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide! Cheers!

I agree with you, I also live in the North East and AWD is something to highly consider. Yes you will pay more for a full pledge v8 AMG; However, a lot of these cars lose a great deal of their value after the first year so If I find a c63s close to in the 60,000 to 65,000 range full loaded with under 10k miles might not be too bad to consider, I also like the GLE 43amg coupe ahhh so many choices haha, congrats on your purchase though!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by Futureowner
I agree with you, I also live in the North East and AWD is something to highly consider. Yes you will pay more for a full pledge v8 AMG; However, a lot of these cars lose a great deal of their value after the first year so If I find a c63s close to in the 60,000 to 65,000 range full loaded with under 10k miles might not be too bad to consider, I also like the GLE 43amg coupe ahhh so many choices haha, congrats on your purchase though!
Me 3. AWD (in the NE) and gas mileage were my deciding factors.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
Originally Posted by Futureowner
Thanks for the good wishes on the purchase. So far we love our C43 sedan.

We already have dedicated sports cars for fun, so the C63 (and its added costs in terms of purchase price, maintenance, and fuel) not to mention its lack of AWD, took it immediately out of the running for a daily driver. In addition, we didn't want a pre-owned car as most people who don't keep these cars for long flog them everywhere they go. In the end, every buyers needs and priorities are different so I wish you luck and lots of happiness with whatever model you choose! Cheers!

Originally Posted by Jdem22
Me 3. AWD (in the NE) and gas mileage were my deciding factors.
+1

AWD was the main factor for us (and then maintenance and fuel). My wife has to be able to get to work regardless of weather so we won't buy a daily driver that doesn't have AWD. Hope you are enjoying yours as much as we are enjoying our C43. Cheers!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 AM

2014 Porsche Cayman S
Thank you all for your help. I did pick up a new C43 yesterday.

The MB of North Houston found me a near perfect car (was in Austin) and gave me an amazing price. The deal was great, but the car was 4 hours late, so was not a good experience picking it up.

The car was pretty much exactly what I would have ordered. Came with wheel locking bolts that I would not have. But only $150 option!

2017 Gray C43
- Black Leather w/ Red Stitching. (Has the read seat-belts. Do actually like them.)
- Premium 3 Package
- Panorama Roof
- Night package
- 19" 5-spoke wheels (black accents). Probably would have gone with multi-spoke, but do like these.
- AMG steering wheel
- And an LET logo projector. Had no idea what that was. Was a bit surprised when I opened the door.

MSRP on the car was 62,795. Dealer gave me $6,000 off of MSRP, AND he gave me an extra $1,000 on my trade (compared to other reasonable trade offers).

Also, went in with my own financing at 2.49%. Finance lady got me 1.99% for 72 months with MB. (* Texas is all simple interest, so no difference if I make same payments as a 60 month term *).

Unfortunately, due to the late arrival, did not get a chance to go over features. Starting to wrap my head around the technology, but still got some stuff to figure out.

Very happy!!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Buy an extended warranty asap.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Glad to hear you got what you were looking for at a great price. Enjoy the ride...