Sponsored by:

AMR Tune questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 GLC63
AMR Tune questions

Hello All. I just received my AMR tune today for my C43 AMG.

Does anyone know if you have to wait a couple days for the ECU to re learn. I am not feeling the performance gains that I had hoped.

edit: got my question answered. Thanks

Last edited by 2014c300; 07-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
What was the answer you got? I'm curious too
Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 PM

2019 GLC63
I had a concern, about the 0 - 60 times. I was only clocking 6 seconds using the in dash Lap meter with a buddy recording. I was not expecting exact times here but I was a bit thrown off with how bad the times were.

I was told by AMR that the ECU needs a few days to learn. So we will see.

I did not think that stalling it up and launching that way would have given me 2 whole seconds. So hopefully after a few days I will feel the gains they promised. And yes I did try stalling it up. The rpms would barely get to 2500, but I was not trying to push it to hard as I was on a back road and every other attempt a car was coming. I just do not have any good roads around here to safely test this on is the problem. So the test were definitely not scientific with perfect conditions. It was stop real quick, click the Lap timer on the steering wheel and flat foot the throttle. What I still do not like is the lag. I video'd the runs and you can hear the gas peddle hitting the floor and then a second later it seems the car starts to move. I was hoping the tune would have resolved that throttle lag.

And yes Sport + mode. Tried both with Sport Handling Mode enabled and then traction control disabled. same results. I did not feel any spinning anyway with either setting on the road that I was on.

Last edited by 2014c300; 07-06-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:11 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by 2014c300
I had a concern, about the 0 - 60 times. I was only clocking 6 seconds using the in dash Lap meter with a buddy recording. I was not expecting exact times here but I was a bit thrown off with how bad the times were.

I was told by AMR that the ECU needs a few days to learn. So we will see.

I did not think that stalling it up and launching that way would have given me 2 whole seconds. So hopefully after a few days I will feel the gains they promised. And yes I did try stalling it up. The rpms would barely get to 2500, but I was not trying to push it to hard as I was on a back road and every other attempt a car was coming. I just do not have any good roads around here to safely test this on is the problem. So the test were definitely not scientific with perfect conditions. It was stop real quick, click the Lap timer on the steering wheel and flat foot the throttle. What I still do not like is the lag. I video'd the runs and you can hear the gas peddle hitting the floor and then a second later it seems the car starts to move. I was hoping the tune would have resolved that throttle lag.

And yes Sport + mode. Tried both with Sport Handling Mode enabled and then traction control disabled. same results. I did not feel any spinning anyway with either setting on the road that I was on.
I would check for boost leaks. The most common one is the intercooler pipe behind the bumper. I know a couple guys that had that happen to theirs. I have the AMR stage 1 and my car has felt unreal since the moment I plugged in the ECU. I highly doubt it is the tune as I have yet to encounter anybody that is unhappy with it. The great thing about this tune also is that if you ever have weird things happen like this, their customer service is outstanding. They are always willing to help, good luck with the car!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:40 PM

2019 GLC63
We just checked. I am new to the turbo scene and this engine.

I do not understand behind the bumper. The inner-cooler is in front of the engine. I can trace the hard lines down from each turbo to the bottom of the inner cooler, They are far away from underneath the bumper.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you for the advice. I would like to figure this out.

Also, I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I put in fresh out of the box K&N Air filters in a week before i shipped out my ECU. The car felt better actually. (I know there are people on here who prefer the factory filter) I have never had an issue with the brand before but wanted to bring that up in case others have had a similar issue. I have no check engine lights at all.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 sedan
What octane of fuel did you get the tune for?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:48 PM

2019 GLC63
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
What octane of fuel did you get the tune for?
93. And that is all that has ever been put in it.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:26 PM

2019 GLC63
Let’s see if I can upload this photo.

Ok that worked. Which pipe is prone to boost leaks?

EDIT: Question answered. The pressure pipes on the bottom of the innercooler.

I checked mine and could find no leaks.

Question for everyone? Would 93 Octane E10 cause any issues here? There is only one Pure Gas service station around where we live. I never thought about this potentially causing some issues. I will have to contact AMR and see what they have to say. I realize modern engines are supposed to adjust for this but after some reading online, from what I have read the engine has to be specifically tuned for E10 in order to not lose any power. Unless I am misunderstanding something here.
Attached Thumbnails AMR Tune questions-b2fb3502-a93d-46a4-ae36-33a86afa93ab.jpeg  

Last edited by 2014c300; 07-07-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by getmercd
I would check for boost leaks. The most common one is the intercooler pipe behind the bumper. I know a couple guys that had that happen to theirs. I have the AMR stage 1 and my car has felt unreal since the moment I plugged in the ECU. I highly doubt it is the tune as I have yet to encounter anybody that is unhappy with it. The great thing about this tune also is that if you ever have weird things happen like this, their customer service is outstanding. They are always willing to help, good luck with the car!

Hey how can we check if the boost is leaking? What are we looking for? Like a sound? and how do we figure that out from a standstill? Like ask someone to rev the engine while someone checks the engine?

Just checking here. I do not have the tune, but my car has a big lag during launch. Will appreciate your help.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:18 AM

2019 GLC63
Got to take the car out for a drive this morning for a bit until it started Pouring down rain again on me.

The car did feel much better today than it did yesterday. I was not able to do any actual 0 - 60 runs but the seat of the pants meter noticed a huge difference between yesterday and today.

Yesterday I got the ecu back from UPS.. Installed it, started it and immediately went out to do some test runs. We were disappointed with the results.

AMR contacted me and said to give the ECU a few days to re learn. Taking their advice I hopped in the car this morning and took it for a spin and it feels much more powerful compared to yesterday. I do not know why that is but it is what I noticed. I do not have a VBOX, I will have to look into getting one since I do not live near a track. Unfortunately I plan on purchasing the AWE Touring Cat back next since my car came with standard non AMG exhaust. VBOX will have to wait for awhile.

Even with the AMR tune (standard non AMG exhaust) i am not getting any crackles and pops that everyone loves, including me.

So it looks like the plan for the AWE Touring cat back is still a go.

The plan for this weekend is to run the gas out of the tank and fill up with Pure Gas 93 with zero ethanol in it and see if the car feels any different. AMR is telling me that it should not make a difference but to go ahead and try it and report back my results.

I want to add that AMR's customer service is Top Notch. Matt from AMR was still emailing me at 11pm last night trying to help me figure out if i had a problem or if we just needed to give it a few days. I could not ask for more.

Last edited by 2014c300; 07-07-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 AM

2019 GLC63
To the previous poster. My car just rolled over 10k miles. I pulled my air filters and they were filthy. I opted to replace mine. There were also leaves in the air boxes that I had to vacuum out. I park my car in a garage every night so i am not sure how they got there unless just from normal driving.

You may want to check your filters to start with. Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To the previous poster. My car just rolled over 10k miles. I pulled my air filters and they were filthy. I opted to replace mine. There were also leaves in the air boxes that I had to vacuum out. I park my car in a garage every night so i am not sure how they got there unless just from normal driving.

You may want to check your filters to start with. Just a thought.
How do you open and clean the filters in these engines? Is there any guide anywhere?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 AM

2019 GLC63
Originally Posted by munis
How do you open and clean the filters in these engines? Is there any guide anywhere?
It is very easy actually. Just lift up on the center plastic around the corners of the engine cover, covering the entire center top of the engine so it pops out of the fastners, once it is all free remove the front air duct which really does nothing other than direct air towards the top of the engine i am guessing to help keep the ecu cool

then you have the filter housings on the left and right sides of the engine. You will need a torque screw driver or bit to remove the covers. the screws will not fall out so do not worry about that.

after you unscrew all of the screws lift up the covers and lay them off to the side, there is a intake air temp sensor (i believe) in both filter housing covers, i did not have to unplug these.

Then you can lift out the filters and vacuum out any dirt or debri, you can either replace the filters or take the vacuum to them then blow them out with compressed air and put them back.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:44 AM

2019 GLC63
If you cannot find a guide and need more of a visual reference. If i have time after work this weekend i will take some photos for you to help you out.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 amg c43
Hello All. I just received my AMR tune today for my C43 AMG.

Does anyone know if you have to wait a couple days for the ECU to re learn. I am not feeling the performance gains that I had hoped.

edit: got my question answered. Thanks
Hi , I also received my ECU today from AMR , and i'm also disappointed on the performance gains . Was hoping for a lot more . I'LL wait a couple of days and see if it's better . They are very nice to deal with
Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mercedes E63 AMG
Thumbs up

The car did feel much better today than it did yesterday. I was not able to do any actual 0 - 60 runs but the seat of the pants meter noticed a huge difference between yesterday and today.
My car felt great the first day but the second day felt like a completely different vehicle. Make sure your traction control is off and you are in S+ mode not to mention you are pushing the pedal all the way down. I learned that there is a point on the throttle when you punch it down, it will hit a stop but then you can go more, almost like a downshift point on the throttle.

I want to add that AMR's customer service is Top Notch. Matt from AMR was still emailing me at 11pm last night trying to help me figure out if i had a problem or if we just needed to give it a few days. I could not ask for more.
Matt is def great to deal with. Have him quoting me on an exhaust

Then you can lift out the filters and vacuum out any dirt or debri, you can either replace the filters or take the vacuum to them then blow them out with compressed air and put them back.
Definitely make sure you do this! I had alot of debri in my intake system with the stock air filters.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
I would have to agree with my man blacked out^. The moment you plug in the ECU should be amazing, however, the second day should be life changing! I couldn't get over the difference from stock when I plugged it back in. You getting an exhaust for the e63 too?! I have Matt checking into AWE catbacks for my car lol I love that guy. I have never met someone that is so willing to go out of his way for customers. That type of service is hard to find these days. I am sure you guys will get your tune sorted out
Old 07-07-2017, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is very easy actually. Just lift up on the center plastic around the corners of the engine cover, covering the entire center top of the engine so it pops out of the fastners, once it is all free remove the front air duct which really does nothing other than direct air towards the top of the engine i am guessing to help keep the ecu cool

then you have the filter housings on the left and right sides of the engine. You will need a torque screw driver or bit to remove the covers. the screws will not fall out so do not worry about that.

after you unscrew all of the screws lift up the covers and lay them off to the side, there is a intake air temp sensor (i believe) in both filter housing covers, i did not have to unplug these.

You are great help man. Thanks for the thorough description. I wanted to do this before, but then I was like, nope, this looks complicated. But I think I would be able to do it with your description. I would let you know in case I couldn't. I have a shop vac that blows both ways so I will probably use that.

Just a question? Can't you open these sensors? Why is it either take the vacuum to them or replace them?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:05 PM

2019 GLC63
Originally Posted by maxxamg
Hi , I also received my ECU today from AMR , and i'm also disappointed on the performance gains . Was hoping for a lot more . I'LL wait a couple of days and see if it's better . They are very nice to deal with
I agree. I have not had an ECU tune done in over 15 years so I admittedly am out of the game here. Today is day 2 with the tune. I got in the car to take it for a drive this morning. I let the car warm up and backed it out of the garage.

Night and day difference from initial start up yesterday. The butt-O-Meter is pleased.

I do not have any proper hardware to correctly test for 0 - 60 times like a VBOX as of yet so i have no way to provide good data of how much of a gain over the reported factory times are.

And yes AMR was a superb experience.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM

2019 GLC63
Originally Posted by munis
You are great help man. Thanks for the thorough description. I wanted to do this before, but then I was like, nope, this looks complicated. But I think I would be able to do it with your description. I would let you know in case I couldn't. I have a shop vac that blows both ways so I will probably use that.

Just a question? Can't you open these sensors? Why is it either take the vacuum to them or replace them?
Dont mess with the Air intake temp sensor there is no need to they are located in the filter housing covers.

I suggested two options for you:
These are the only options that there are.
  • Remove and Clean Factory Filters and Air boxes
  • Remove, Replace Filters and Clean Air boxes

Same engine:

Last edited by 2014c300; 07-07-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 sedan
I have the AMR tune but haven't quite stepped on it fully yet because I'm still around 950-1000 miles.. I know break in is 1000 but I'm gonna give I a couple extra hundred so it doesn't go BOOM just in case..
Old 07-07-2017, 04:33 PM

2019 GLC63
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
I have the AMR tune but haven't quite stepped on it fully yet because I'm still around 950-1000 miles.. I know break in is 1000 but I'm gonna give I a couple extra hundred so it doesn't go BOOM just in case..
I also changed my oil at 4000 miles just to be safe.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Matt and Rob are stand up guys. And I felt the AMR tune the moment they installed it on my car. I can tell because I never had wheel spin while stock but first thing that happened when I got the car tuned was have my tail thrown out and wheels spinning while making a left turn from a stop a couple streets down from their facility. I was left shaking but had a grin the entire 300mile drive back to Philly from CT
Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
I am quite disappointed that the non performance exhaust option for the c43 does not produce the crackles and pops that we've grown to love with the m276 engines. So that proves that the non performance c43 exhaust is not the same exhaust found in the c450
Old 07-08-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 amg c43
Mathew is a real stand up guy at AMR ... doing his Best to help me out

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMR Tune questions