C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 slow acceleration even in Sport+ mode

Old 09-18-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
C43 slow acceleration even in Sport+ mode

Hi all, I recently got my C43 in July. I found it accelerated slow even in Sport+ mode. It took about 7 to 8 sec to reach 60mph.
Anyone has any idea what is going on my car? Configuration? Setting? Any break I need to release?
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:12 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by Ng Daniel
Hi all, I recently got my C43 in July. I found it accelerated slow even in Sport+ mode. It took about 7 to 8 sec to reach 60mph.
Anyone has any idea what is going on my car? Configuration? Setting? Any break I need to release?
Thanks!
Getting it to hit 60mph in about 4 seconds requires the following.

1) The engine is properly warmed up which means you have been driving it for about 10 to 15 minutes.
2) The tires are warmed up so that you don't lose any grip upon launching. Idling the car for 10 minutes before launching doesn't help.
3) You are running at least 91 octane or higher.
4) Your car is in Sport+
5) You brake torque the car to launch it as opposed to launching it from idle RPM.
6) You are ideally at sea level. It doesn't make too much of a difference in a car that utilizes turbo, but being high above sea level does decrease acceleration.
7) The road you are racing on provides you with smooth even pavement so that you have the path of least resistance to accelerating to 60mph.

If you are saying that all the above (maybe not so much #6) are true and you are still getting to 60mph in 7+ seconds, then yes...take your car to the dealership and ask them wth is going on.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.b (09-27-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer

1) The engine is properly warmed up which means you have been driving it for about 10 to 15 minutes.
2) The tires are warmed up so that you don't lose any grip upon launching. Idling the car for 10 minutes before launching doesn't help.
4) Your car is in Sport+
5) You brake torque the car to launch it as opposed to launching it from idle RPM.
6) You are ideally at sea level. It doesn't make too much of a difference in a car that utilizes turbo, but being high above sea level does decrease acceleration.
7) The road you are racing on provides you with smooth even pavement so that you have the path of least resistance to accelerating to 60mph.

If you are saying that all the above (maybe not so much #6) are true and you are still getting to 60mph in 7+ seconds, then yes...take your car to the dealership and ask them wth is going on.
No need to over-complicate it...
If you fully warm it up and punch it on any straight away you should be able to hit 60mph in under 5 sec. I can do it in less than five on my C450 on a hill climb near my house.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
No need to over-complicate it...
If you fully warm it up and punch it on any straight away you should be able to hit 60mph in under 5 sec. I can do it in less than five on my C450 on a hill climb near my house.
Sure.
@op If you are looking to hit 60mph in about 4 seconds follow my complicated instructions. If you're looking to do it in under 5, punch it on the hill climb near Mr. J's house.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:17 AM

C43 AMG

4) Your car is in Sport+

I have done most except No.5 break to launch. I started at fully stopped.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 AM

I have done most except No.5 break to launch. I started at fully stopped.
Are you flooring the gas pedal fully, including beyond the 'click' point? I don't know bud, it seems like something you should get a MB tech to look at. The car is pretty quick to 60 if you floor it, even in ECO. I don't think an improper break in on the engine (whether this is required is debatable) would hinder it's performance so drastically. Something is amiss.
Ng Daniel (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 01:35 AM

C43 AMG
Are you flooring the gas pedal fully, including beyond the 'click' point? I don't know bud, it seems like something you should get a MB tech to look at. The car is pretty quick to 60 if you floor it, even in ECO. I don't think an improper break in on the engine (whether this is required is debatable) would hinder it's performance so drastically. Something is amiss.
I think I need to visit my dealership tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2017, 01:42 AM

C43 AMG
May I ask what is your mpg?
Mine is around 18mpg (60-70 local and 30-40 freeway) Is it normal?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
May I ask what is your mpg?
Mine is around 18mpg (60-70 local and 30-40 freeway) Is it normal?
If you have a lead foot, then yes, that should be typical. If you feather the throttle all the time, you need to take it in to be looked at.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 AM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
those fake quad exhaust tips fools lots of people.
i have a couple of coworkers asked me "is this car faster than your previous car?"
wait, it' 4.9 seconds on my c450, it is fast !
Old 09-19-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
Sure.
@op If you are looking to hit 60mph in about 4 seconds follow my complicated instructions. If you're looking to do it in under 5, punch it on the hill climb near Mr. J's house.
lool
Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Hey Daniel, I know exactly what you are talking about. And I know the problem as well. Coincidentally my car has been the same after I got it back from the Mercedes body shop after an accident. I was getting 8 seconds 0 to 100kmph. My butt dyno was telling me something was wrong, but I did not believe it until I measured the time and then confirmed it by seeing the engine data in the dynamic select menu on the command screen.

It's the voltages, you car probably has been sitting on low batteries for a while, so the car enters a limp mode where it caps the power at 262hp and torque at 300. And there would be no check engine light, so it would feel very normal until you go and check the dynamic select engine data on the command screen.

The only way to get rid of it is to have a fully charged battery and then reset all the systems using a scanner.

They are working on my car as we speak to fix this.
Ng Daniel (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'17 MB C43 Sedan
Thanks!
I felt the same way when I picked up mine. I just assumed this was factory setting, so I went ahead and purchased a tune. I should be able to ship my ECU next week, so we will see how it feels
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 17merc43
I felt the same way when I picked up mine. I just assumed this was factory setting, so I went ahead and purchased a tune. I should be able to ship my ECU next week, so we will see how it feels
Like I said above. That is not the case.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by munis
Hey Daniel, I know exactly what you are talking about. And I know the problem as well. Coincidentally my car has been the same after I got it back from the Mercedes body shop after an accident. I was getting 8 seconds 0 to 100kmph. My butt dyno was telling me something was wrong, but I did not believe it until I measured the time and then confirmed it by seeing the engine data in the dynamic select menu on the command screen.

It's the voltages, you car probably has been sitting on low batteries for a while, so the car enters a limp mode where it caps the power at 262hp and torque at 300. And there would be no check engine light, so it would feel very normal until you go and check the dynamic select engine data on the command screen.

The only way to get rid of it is to have a fully charged battery and then reset all the systems using a scanner.

They are working on my car as we speak to fix this.
Do you mean fully charge the 12V battery? Do you know if dealership can do this for me or I can do it myself?
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2017, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you mean fully charge the 12V battery? Do you know if dealership can do this for me or I can do it myself?
Thanks!
The dealership has to do it. If you have been driving the car for a few days, the battery should be fully charged. Just go and get the ECU reset. Also please go to dynamic select=> engine data and see how much power and torque you are producing on WOT.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:47 PM

C43 AMG
The dealership has to do it. If you have been driving the car for a few days, the battery should be fully charged. Just go and get the ECU reset. Also please go to dynamic select=> engine data and see how much power and torque you are producing on WOT.
I have just checked the dynamic select. It showed 100% (orange) when I press the gas all the way down.

I also checked the vehicle data section. The center HP meter showed highest HP is ard 170HP to 180HP when I press the gas all the way down.

Dealership said they don't have time today and I have to go on Saturday to check.

I hope this is a easy case.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
I have just checked the dynamic select. It showed 100% (orange) when I press the gas all the way down.

I also checked the vehicle data section. The center HP meter showed highest HP is ard 170HP to 180HP when I press the gas all the way down.

Dealership said they don't have time today and I have to go on Saturday to check.

Just get tuned so you can have even more power than stock lol you won't have any laggy pedal anymore!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exactly, same case as mine. It is an easy fix. Just visit the dealership.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by getmercd
Just get tuned so you can have even more power than stock lol you won't have any laggy pedal anymore!
Can't you read? He has a very simple problem. Nothing to do with laggy pedal. You and your AMR tune needs to sod off. Stop pushing it on everyone. Sometimes it feels like you are Matt himself using a fake account to advertise the tune to everyone.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Stronger letter to follow....

Jesus, I don't think the guy meant any harm, and as it is a forum, posts invite comments or replies and neither you nor I have the right to be personally satisfied with content.

Last edited by removedCFGaccount; 09-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Sure.
Don't be so pedantic.

OP said he was unable to break 60mph in under 8 sec. Assuming he's not exaggerating, you don't need a preflight checklist to determine if there is a problem.

My old V6 Escape could hit 60mph in just under 8 sec. If he can't break 7 sec in a C43 by simply mashing the go pedal something is wrong with his car.

Ng Daniel, take it in. Even if you don't have a CEL, there will be a trouble code present if the car is running as sluggish as you claim.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:40 AM

C43 AMG
I think dealership can have better configuration for my car.
I have tried youtube video for resetting ECU and TCU. None was working.

Dealer said they are going to be able check my C43 on Saturday. I will update the issue.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:41 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Don't be so pedantic.

OP said he was unable to break 60mph in under 8 sec. Assuming he's not exaggerating, you don't need a preflight checklist to determine if there is a problem.

My old V6 Escape could hit 60mph in just under 8 sec. If he can't break 7 sec in a C43 by simply mashing the go pedal something is wrong with his car.

Ng Daniel, take it in. Even if you don't have a CEL, there will be a trouble code present if the car is running as sluggish as you claim.
Yea CEL is not on so I believe it is not an issue and it is just some computer configuration. I will take it in to the dealer and let them fix for me.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:45 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by guhvies
If you have a lead foot, then yes, that should be typical. If you feather the throttle all the time, you need to take it in to be looked at.
I usually press 1/4 of gas pedal and maintain speed as usual.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 slow acceleration even in Sport+ mode