Sponsored by:

Another Rattle/Fluttering Noise, Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Another Rattle/Fluttering Noise, Help!

So I posted something similar a while back. I have had my c43 coupe in the shop for about two weeks now and the mechanics, service manager, etc. cannot seem to figure it out. So I’ll bring my issue to the experts here.

Rattle noise as detailed in video very clearly persists at 30-40 mph, 1-2k rpm and only when driving. Below passenger side seat and directly behind it. Always the same frequency, different levels of noise though. Does anyone have an idea what this might be so I can help the master tehnician do the job he is not?

The video is chopped down so it would upload but the noise is persistent through about 26 seconds here.

thanks guys and gals.
Attached Files

Last edited by FirstMBAMG; 10-18-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Have them check the rock guards under the car.... Mine wasn't fitted correctly at the factory and fluttered for 3 visits and 3k miles before the dealer stuck it on a rack and saw the issue... Even after racking, it wasn't obvious....
Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 AM

C43 AMG Coupe
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately they apparently checked that as well. So I am going to give them one more day. At this point I’m almost halfway to lemom requirement on a simple rattle, sheesh.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately they apparently checked that as well. So I am going to give them one more day. At this point I’m almost halfway to lemom requirement on a simple rattle, sheesh.
rattles does not qualify for a lemon
Old 10-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
Sorry I just hear road noise. Is the noise outside the car or inside? I'd want to try and determine that first.. Does it do it more when the car is warmed up? or more when cold? What happens above 40? it goes away? Does it do it everywhere and all the time? have you tried moving the passenger seat around? check the trunk for anything lose.. Remove the floor mats on that side.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 AM

C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
rattles does not qualify for a lemon
Oh I know, I was just saying the ~30 days in shop for lemon (now at 14). Not that this would make me lemon the car.

And ErikM thank you for providing some suggestions, I truly appreciate it. The video is tough to hear the sound on a PC for some reason. However, I did just get a call back form the Mercedes dealer after having the master tech spend 2 days on it with other tech; they took off some heat shields and found that the center support bearing for the drive shaft was allowing for play in that very specific 30-40 mph and 1.2k rpm hence the noise. Sooo one little center support bearing is coming from Germany, but that should fix it.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
Good to hear it (or not) I've been on these forums for a while and I'm surprised how many little problems these cars seem to have.. Any one want to chime in?? I plan on ordering the car late December for early spring.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
Oh I know, I was just saying the ~30 days in shop for lemon (now at 14). Not that this would make me lemon the car.

And ErikM thank you for providing some suggestions, I truly appreciate it. The video is tough to hear the sound on a PC for some reason. However, I did just get a call back form the Mercedes dealer after having the master tech spend 2 days on it with other tech; they took off some heat shields and found that the center support bearing for the drive shaft was allowing for play in that very specific 30-40 mph and 1.2k rpm hence the noise. Sooo one little center support bearing is coming from Germany, but that should fix it.

Thanks all for the help.
http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...es-AMG-vehicle
Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
There's also a known issue with some of the passenger seats themselves wherein the wiring harness inside the backrest comes loose and starts slapping the steel support beams. Dealer took two visits to fix this as well.... Sounds closer to what you've described.