Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Issues. Anyone have this problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Coupe
Exclamation Brake Issues. Anyone have this problem?

Hey everyone I was looking for some help, and was wondering if anyone had the same problem. I have a 2018 C43 Coupe, which is about 3 months old and has just under 1600 miles on it. Starting about 3 weeks ago I started getting severe squealing and brake noise which seems to be coming from my driver's side front wheel. It only happens during normal stop and go braking at slower speeds, and I also hear the squealing at times when making turns even when not applying the brake. I recorded the noise and wound up taking my car in for service. I gave the service tech the video, and even with that, they said they naturally couldn't replicate the noise to the levels I was experiencing it at. They checked the brakes, rotors and sensor and couldn't find any problem with it and the car was turned back over to me.

The noise was still happening and I wound up calling the service tech back and made another appointment coming up this Friday. She told me that some of the coupes make have been known to make brake noise but the noise I'm getting is anything but normal. It sounds like if my brake pads were made out of cactus. I see 20 year old cars driving around which make no noise whatsoever yet my 3 month old car will wake up the neighborhood with its brakes. The tech also told me that when I take my car in they will be shaving down the pads and lubricating the brakes to see if that helps. My question to anyone that has one of the newer coupes, have any of you had this problem? Any idea what could possibly be causing this? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:00 PM

C43 AMG
Brake noise

Mine just started doing this today. 2018 C43. No indication of anything until suddenly today. Very loud, metallic, dragging caliper type noise. Did you get an answer for your problem? It sounds identical.

Originally Posted by Spiznasty
Hey everyone I was looking for some help, and was wondering if anyone had the same problem. I have a 2018 C43 Coupe, which is about 3 months old and has just under 1600 miles on it. Starting about 3 weeks ago I started getting severe squealing and brake noise which seems to be coming from my driver's side front wheel. It only happens during normal stop and go braking at slower speeds, and I also hear the squealing at times when making turns even when not applying the brake. I recorded the noise and wound up taking my car in for service. I gave the service tech the video, and even with that, they said they naturally couldn't replicate the noise to the levels I was experiencing it at. They checked the brakes, rotors and sensor and couldn't find any problem with it and the car was turned back over to me.

The noise was still happening and I wound up calling the service tech back and made another appointment coming up this Friday. She told me that some of the coupes make have been known to make brake noise but the noise I'm getting is anything but normal. It sounds like if my brake pads were made out of cactus. I see 20 year old cars driving around which make no noise whatsoever yet my 3 month old car will wake up the neighborhood with its brakes. The tech also told me that when I take my car in they will be shaving down the pads and lubricating the brakes to see if that helps. My question to anyone that has one of the newer coupes, have any of you had this problem? Any idea what could possibly be causing this? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 Mercedes C300 Coupe
Ive had a C450 for 3 years now, needed to replace pads annually and I notice they wear pretty fast. They squeak even after replacing the rotors.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:28 PM

2018 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Lawag1995
Mine just started doing this today. 2018 C43. No indication of anything until suddenly today. Very loud, metallic, dragging caliper type noise. Did you get an answer for your problem? It sounds identical.
When I brought my car back a second time for this I was told by the service advisor that they would be replacing the brake pads on the driver's side where the sound was coming from. The tech did confirm the squealing sound, and even though that this is something that generally is not covered by the warranty and I would have to pay for it, they actually wound up covering it in the end. After the repair it actually made things normal again for about a month and a half, but then the squealing just started happening yesterday again. When I'm braking, and even just driving without applying the brake I hear it. The advisor told me originally this is normal on the new C coupes but this is ridiculous. If it keeps up I'm going to a service manager to see if I can get somewhere with this.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
I’ve had my C450 for 1.5 years now. Same issue. Happens when braking at lower speeds. Usually in warm weather.

Dealer replaced pads and rotors. Still same noise. They ended up giving up and told me to just turn on my stereo and live with it.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Cab
Originally Posted by Spiznasty
When I brought my car back a second time for this I was told by the service advisor that they would be replacing the brake pads on the driver's side where the sound was coming from. The tech did confirm the squealing sound, and even though that this is something that generally is not covered by the warranty and I would have to pay for it, they actually wound up covering it in the end. After the repair it actually made things normal again for about a month and a half, but then the squealing just started happening yesterday again. When I'm braking, and even just driving without applying the brake I hear it. The advisor told me originally this is normal on the new C coupes but this is ridiculous. If it keeps up I'm going to a service manager to see if I can get somewhere with this.
the typical break squeaking or squealing sound is caused by vibration and does not necessarily mean that either pad or rotors need to be replaced. The dealer should can check to see if anything is loose or needs lubrication. It could also be that the pads need adhesive engineeed tk eliminate vibration.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Squeaky brakes are very common on performance vehicles. Every performance vehicle Audi, Range Rover, Mercedes, that I have driven has had squeaky brakes particularly at cold times. Good to know the dealers may replace them though under warranty...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM

2018 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
Squeaky brakes are very common on performance vehicles. Every performance vehicle Audi, Range Rover, Mercedes, that I have driven has had squeaky brakes particularly at cold times. Good to know the dealers may replace them though under warranty...
Before this car I had a CLA45 and I didn't have that problem with that car. Maybe cause it had upgraded brakes compared to the stock ones. I expect some level of noise when braking, but I get a steady squealing sound when I'm just driving as well and not braking which leads me to believe there's some sort of problem. But lol knowing that Mercedes answer to the problem is turning up your radio. I just came back from running errands and during the entire time I didn't hear any noise except as soon as I got home when the squealing started without applying the brake, so there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to when this actually happens.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Yeah spitznasty, brake squealing when driving without braking is not as normal. There are a couple suggestions here .

1) look into some method to remove any debris between brake pads and rotors often times there can be very small debris and it can cause a whole lot of noise.

2) especially on new models, bedding the brakes can serve to be useful. Search around on this forum, someone in the c43 does have a bedding process that they recommend that can kind of break in the brakes and lead to less squealing.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 PM

2018 C43 AMG Coupe
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give that a shot and see if that helps at all.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
Yeah spitznasty, brake squealing when driving without braking is not as normal. There are a couple suggestions here .

1) look into some method to remove any debris between brake pads and rotors often times there can be very small debris and it can cause a whole lot of noise.

2) especially on new models, bedding the brakes can serve to be useful. Search around on this forum, someone in the c43 does have a bedding process that they recommend that can kind of break in the brakes and lead to less squealing.
YMMV, but a general performance pad bedding procedure is a near panic stop (80-90% braking) of 65mph-10mph, decreasing the top speed by 10mph increments down to 25mph (65-10, 55-10, 45-10, 35-10, 25-10), then repeating the sequence 2-3 times.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 PM

2018 C43 AMG Coupe
Bedding the brakes seemed to have helped. I'll keep an eye on it, thank to you everyone that suggested that.

Completely unrelated, but I've also had this happen 4 times and it's always random. Sometimes I turn on my car and all my preset stations are deleted except for a couple of them. Anyone have this issue?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 PM

C180 Coupé
Exact same issue over here in Mexico City.

Although it’s a 2017 C180 Coupe.

Bought it on March 2017 and had that damn noise ever since. Dealer has changed the following parts in different ocassions with no success:
  1. First time: changed front brake pads, stopped the noise for 1 week
  2. Second time: changed front brake pads and brake disk, noise stopped for a couple of months
  3. Third time: all was good up until the date of the first scheduled maintenance (1st year) and apparently the noise came from the rear pads which were almost out and I had to pay for them. (Still skeptical that they were worn out at only 12,000km/7,500mi)
  4. Fourth time: a couple of months later the noise came back from the front. The dealer said that the had to escalate the issue with the “factory” to get a solution. As of today I’m waiting for the front calipers to arrive from Germany.
After all these visits to the dealer they’ve might as well change the whole f-ing brake system.

It’s just ridiculous. Thinking about getting a BMW 4 series.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes AMG C43 Coupe
I have this same exact problem on my coupe. I thought I was going crazy. I hear it even when I'm not using the brakes, pretty odd.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:42 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Had my 2018 coupe for 8 months and I still hear occasional squeaking. Usually happens when brakes are warmed up from stopping and I apply medium brakes. It won't squeek if I brake extremely lightly (basically starting to brake from a long way from a light) or if I brake very hard. Performing the bedding procedure seems to help. Note that the rotors rust up very very easily and that the OE brake pads shed a lot of material. Also, the rear brakes are automatically applied while turning for torque vectoring. But seeing as how your problem (and mine) seems to originate from front brakes, that may be out the window.

I have learned to live with it. People say it is a thing with "performance" cars/brake kits but I don't really see it happening with lambos and such lol.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
I had this same problem and MB changed my brake pads under warranty. It just happened again after 1 year but I noticed I can manage it if I push a little harder on the brakes. It seems to come and go after I do this.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 PM

C43
I get the random preset station delete every few weeks, no idea why. I use the same key always so it’s not tied to the key you use.