Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which One to choose C43 17 vs 18

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which One to choose C43 17 vs 18

Hi guys, I am picking up a C43 next week, found a great deal on an out state leftover 2017 but local dealer tried to match price with a 2018.
which one would you choose?

Polar White
Black Leather no red stitching
PO3 (Includes burmester and led headlights)
Night Package
Parking assistant package
AMG Carbon fiber trim
AMG Nappa/Dinamica steering wheel
Pano roof
19" A<G multispoke wheels with black accents
maintenance included
MSRP $ 63,70, $2k cash and $644 a month 3ys/10k miles, plus I have to pay transport from out of stae $800, so is $2800 cash.

Polar White
Black Leather WITH red stitching, black seat belts
Multimedia Package
Night Package
Trim is dark brown linden wood
Pano roof
19" AMG 5 spoke wheels with black accents
LED Headlights
Burmester sound
maintenance included
MSRP $ 62,065, $2.7k cash and $689 a month 3ys/10k miles, local delivery.

deal are close ,
17:
Pro: better trim, parking assistant has the surround camera, nappa, lower monthly payment by $35
Cons: unseen, delivered on a truck, MY 17, has been sitting at dealers for 9 months
18:
Pro: local delivery, loaner when taken into service, MY18 , just delivered to dealer 2 days ago.
Cons: No parking assistant (I like the surround view camera),

basically, the 17 has the parking assistant that I like, the Nappa/dinamica wheel I don't know if I like because I'd have to worry about cleaning, the trim is carbon fiber but linden wood on the 18 is not a deal breaker, wheels, I debate wheter I like the multispoke or the 5 spoke, the 5 spoke looks easier to clean and you cannot order them on a C300, so I lean towards 5 spoke, with the 18 I can get a loaner when taking it in for service, my local dealer doe snot provide loaners if you did not buy the car from them.

opinions?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 AM

VW GTI
Nein to both. Neither has the performance exhaust, which is a requirement with the C43.
The following users liked this post:
B_M_F_710 (04-02-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
It sounds like those are quite similar options, one thing that stuck out to me was the loaner car. If you don’t have a spouse or another car to get around that will be very important, can’t really go anywhere if your car is in the shop.
My car car had an exhaust issue, it was in and out for 2 weeks. Just my two cents there.

also if you are at all thinking about buying at end of lease term the 2018 is immediately a better investment from that standpoint. Less depreciation.
casper (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
It's a tough one, I'd go with whichever has the most options, and it looks the like the '17 does, and its $35 less a month.
Also everyone keeps hyping up the performance exhaust, It's not a make it or break it for a c43, the standard exhaust in sports plus still crackles and pops, just not as loud. Plus you can always do aftermarket exhaust mods which would probably be louder than the standard PE. And if the '18 cost less, than you should get a better deal, or the same as the '17
casper (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
It's a tough one, I'd go with whichever has the most options, and it looks the like the '17 does, and its $35 less a month.
Also everyone keeps hyping up the performance exhaust, It's not a make it or break it for a c43, the standard exhaust in sports plus still crackles and pops, just not as loud. Plus you can always do aftermarket exhaust mods which would probably be louder than the standard PE. And if the '18 cost less, than you should get a better deal, or the same as the '17
Neither one has the AMG Perf exhaust, non issue.
these are the deciding points:
17- $35 less, more options,
18- Courtesy loaner when in service
Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
courtesy loaners should exist no matter the MY...
B_M_F_710 (04-02-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Are both dealerships, Mercedes Benz dealerships? If so I would have your local dealer do an inventory acquisition on the other. That's what I did. I'm in Utah and had a car from a California dealership brought in. They made their deal, which included the shipping. Before it had even shipped, we initiated all the paperwork and they gave me a loaner 300 to drive until my car arrived. Then a few days later I dropped off the loaner, signed the paperwork and was out the door. Didn't have to pay for shipping and have all the perks/loaner availability as I purchased it from my dealer, not the dealer the car was originally allocated.

They probably wont be keen off the bat for it so you might have to do the whole 'walk away' routine to remind them who's the one with the power
Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG sedan
I actually just bought the identical car as the 18 in late January, color and everything. I didn't like the linden wood trim with the leather originally. Brown wood with black leather? It turns out after a week I would not trade it for anything. It gives the car such a class feel, and the wood itself has incredible depth. I wanted the black natural grain trim, but was virtually impossible to find in MY18. Didn't really consider the CF.

What I didn't realize until after the purchase is that you need the parking assistance package to get any front parking sensors. That's kind of a bummer to me but I'm adjusting to no front sensors after having them since 2005.

I agree with others that the Performance Exhaust is defo not required. It pops and crackles like mad in S+ with the standard sport exhaust. I live in metro Boston and it's a bit embarrassing in S or S+. I keep it in C most of the time in the city. I wouldn't use the PE button hardly ever, and can't see using it outside of S+ mode anyway.

My priorities may be different than others. I wanted a luxurious but fun-spirited car. I have been driving larger vehicles for family reasons since 2007. My fiancé got a big 3-row this time so I got a smaller more fun car. I wasn't looking for the ultimate in sportiness, I have a sport bike and supermoto if I want to be faster than everything else on the road.

I had been waiting for a Tesla Model 3 to become available but couldn't wait any longer (and after seeing the QC complaints I'm glad!). I cross shopped several Audis (RS3 couldn't make a deal and had a much more basic interior...really wanted an S5 sportback but the roofline was soooo low it's ridiculous) and BMW (like the M2 and 240i but need 4 doors for the kids).

In the end I'm very happy with the decision, and don't even have any envy after seeing the face lifted MY19. I read complaints about the stereo, the rattles and the suspension. I don't share them. I think the stereo is wonderful, but I do always leave it in surround mode. I don't have rattles yet, and I'm ok with the suspension; I did replace the 19" run flats with conti DWS all seasons before picking up the car and I have the tire pressures set to those listed inside the gas door.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Performance exhaust comes with an exhaust sound module that non PE cars don't come with. No matter what you do, a non pe car will never sound like one with it.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Geremy
I actually just bought the identical car as the 18 in late January, color and everything. I didn't like the linden wood trim with the leather originally. Brown wood with black leather? It turns out after a week I would not trade it for anything. It gives the car such a class feel, and the wood itself has incredible depth. I wanted the black natural grain trim, but was virtually impossible to find in MY18. Didn't really consider the CF.

What I didn't realize until after the purchase is that you need the parking assistance package to get any front parking sensors. That's kind of a bummer to me but I'm adjusting to no front sensors after having them since 2005.

I agree with others that the Performance Exhaust is defo not required. It pops and crackles like mad in S+ with the standard sport exhaust. I live in metro Boston and it's a bit embarrassing in S or S+. I keep it in C most of the time in the city. I wouldn't use the PE button hardly ever, and can't see using it outside of S+ mode anyway.

My priorities may be different than others. I wanted a luxurious but fun-spirited car. I have been driving larger vehicles for family reasons since 2007. My fiancé got a big 3-row this time so I got a smaller more fun car. I wasn't looking for the ultimate in sportiness, I have a sport bike and supermoto if I want to be faster than everything else on the road.

I had been waiting for a Tesla Model 3 to become available but couldn't wait any longer (and after seeing the QC complaints I'm glad!). I cross shopped several Audis (RS3 couldn't make a deal and had a much more basic interior...really wanted an S5 sportback but the roofline was soooo low it's ridiculous) and BMW (like the M2 and 240i but need 4 doors for the kids).

In the end I'm very happy with the decision, and don't even have any envy after seeing the face lifted MY19. I read complaints about the stereo, the rattles and the suspension. I don't share them. I think the stereo is wonderful, but I do always leave it in surround mode. I don't have rattles yet, and I'm ok with the suspension; I did replace the 19" run flats with conti DWS all seasons before picking up the car and I have the tire pressures set to those listed inside the gas door.
wow, no front parking sensors! I did not know this, guess that makes the 17 the winner! 17 has parking assist but no service loaner, the 18 has service loaner but no front sensors, even the cheapest Hyundai and Kia have front sensors. My SL also has them. I wonder what else is missing in the C43
Old 03-11-2018, 11:05 PM

C43 AMG sedan
No front sensors was a definite shocker. I bought a Fensens setup, which is a license plate frame with sensors and Bluetooth to a phone app, but it didn't fit the front mount (which is not flat) so I returned it. The c43 is also pretty light on safety features compared to other brands. No active lane assist or radar cruise control unless you get the driver assist package, which is an extra $2250. So you basically have to pay an extra $3500 to get features that are standard on every Toyota. I can't think of anything other than those relatively minor quibbles. The only thing I would add to my car is the front sensors and maybe the AMG steering wheel. It looks neat.

I didn't say the SE sounds like the PE. I said it is plenty loud (in sport it is actually too loud on the highway for me) and that I would never use it, and yes, the SE crackles and pops. The downshift/revmatch when slowing & stopping is cool when your alone but in traffic is pretty silly. Ppl definitely think I'm trying to race them. However, I will say Boston is not known for friendly drivers!!
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
"Parking sensors?"

You mean.......Eyeballs?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by casper
Hi guys, I am picking up a C43 next week, found a great deal on an out state leftover 2017 but local dealer tried to match price with a 2018.
which one would you choose?

Polar White
Black Leather no red stitching
PO3 (Includes burmester and led headlights)
Night Package
Parking assistant package
AMG Carbon fiber trim
AMG Nappa/Dinamica steering wheel
Pano roof
19" A<G multispoke wheels with black accents
maintenance included
MSRP $ 63,70, $2k cash and $644 a month 3ys/10k miles, plus I have to pay transport from out of stae $800, so is $2800 cash.

Polar White
Black Leather WITH red stitching, black seat belts
Multimedia Package
Night Package
Trim is dark brown linden wood
Pano roof
19" AMG 5 spoke wheels with black accents
LED Headlights
Burmester sound
maintenance included
MSRP $ 62,065, $2.7k cash and $689 a month 3ys/10k miles, local delivery.

deal are close ,
17:
Pro: better trim, parking assistant has the surround camera, nappa, lower monthly payment by $35
Cons: unseen, delivered on a truck, MY 17, has been sitting at dealers for 9 months
18:
Pro: local delivery, loaner when taken into service, MY18 , just delivered to dealer 2 days ago.
Cons: No parking assistant (I like the surround view camera),

basically, the 17 has the parking assistant that I like, the Nappa/dinamica wheel I don't know if I like because I'd have to worry about cleaning, the trim is carbon fiber but linden wood on the 18 is not a deal breaker, wheels, I debate wheter I like the multispoke or the 5 spoke, the 5 spoke looks easier to clean and you cannot order them on a C300, so I lean towards 5 spoke, with the 18 I can get a loaner when taking it in for service, my local dealer doe snot provide loaners if you did not buy the car from them.

opinions?

It looks like you're listing the discounted prices as MSRP. They are not. List the discounted price next to the original MSRP for actual comparison.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
Interesting. I've never heard of an MB dealer that wouldn't give you a loaner if you didn't buy it from them. All of the MB dealers around me will give you a loaner regardless of where you bought it because they all want your business, and if you start servicing with them you might be more likely to buy from them next time.

Aside from options and price, I would want to know the "In service" date for each. Depending on when the 17 arrived and they marked it in service, you may have less than 3 years left of warranty on that car.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Cab
Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
I have to disagree on the PE. To me it is the one must have option. I would not buy either of these without it.

Otger than that personal deal killer, I do not care about the parking capability, I have been parking cars unassisted for 40 years. I am not a fan of carbon fiber , especially in a relatively heavy car , so linden wood is fine (prefer black ash), like the 5 spoke better than the multi spoke, so if had to choose it’s would be the 2018.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
From what you say, to me it's a no brainer I'd get the 18 if only for the additional Warranty and the fact an 18 will always be worth more than a 17.. Maybe I'm wrong :-) I'd also get Money Factor, Residual Value and Cap cost and fees and figure it out .. Neither seems like a great deal.. but again I could be wrong.

Last edited by ErikM; 03-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=ErikM;7402470]From what you say, to me it's a no brainer I'd get the 18 if only for the additional Warranty and the fact an 18 will always be worth more than a 17.. Maybe I'm wrong :-) I'd also get Money Factor, Residual Value and Cap cost and fees and figure it out .. Neither seems like a great deal..

2017 MSRP 63,720, SP $56,419 MF 0.00121 RV 60%
2018 MSRP 62,065 , SP $ 55,113 MF 0.00140 RV 59%

2017 released from factory in January 2017, 2018 released from factory September 2017

the difference in payment is the local dealer marks up the MF and has more fees, both include maintenance

Last edited by casper; 03-12-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 PM

thank you for all the good feedback (beyond the PE is a must.)
dealer confirmed i get a service loaner even if I bough it somewhere else, but at the end, all things considered, i went with the 2018
Old 03-13-2018, 10:20 PM

C43 AMG sedan
Congrats! Hey we have the same car now
Old 04-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Geremy
Congrats! Hey we have the same car now
ended up with a different 2017, picked it up Friday March 30.

2017 C43 sedan
Diamond White
Designo Tan/black Interior
P4
night package
Multispoke 19" wheels with black accent
Performance exhaust
tire and wheel protection
3 year maintenance

According to the majority on this forum, the PE is a must.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Range Rover
PE is not a must. Either they’re old farts or they’re just snooty
C43Ayemgee (04-02-2018)