Four flat tires in a month!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Four flat tires in a month!

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you guys were having any of the same issues with your tires as I am with mine on the c43. I have the stock pzero run flats on 19'' rims. I live in NJ, but in a decent area where the roads aren't AWFUL, but aren't great either. As a driver, i'm extremely careful to dodge even the slightest imperfection in the road, yet even so, I've torn the side walls on 4 tires in a little over a month, all of which happened on bumpy patches of road that were unavoidable - not even a big pothole.

Thankfully I have the wheel and tire warranty, but on the flip side it means I cannot replace my tires with Michelins, or any other tire without voiding the warranty. Would it be worth it to pay out of pocket for new tires? Or should I ride it out on the pzeros? Any advice or input would be appreciated as I'm getting tired of making the trek back to the dealer with my hazards on LOL.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C450, 2019 E63S
Sorry to hear that. I drive a C450 as my daily here in Manhattan for years, so you know it's pothole heaven. I also have the Wheel + Tire warranty, but I can tell you that I have replaced about 4 total tires and 1 rim - surprised that it hasn't been more frequent in the two years that I have driven it. You can't predict anything when it comes to these things - you can have a tire replaced today, drive out the dealership and down the road, and need to have it replaced again....

My point is you're much better off sticking with your warranty and NOT buying non-stock tires that will void it. You've already paid for that warranty and the replacements are technically free. Paying for longer lasting tires (that are also unpredictable) is just not worth it at this point.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
none yet
Originally Posted by jake732
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you guys were having any of the same issues with your tires as I am with mine on the c43. I have the stock pzero run flats on 19'' rims. I live in NJ, but in a decent area where the roads aren't AWFUL, but aren't great either. As a driver, i'm extremely careful to dodge even the slightest imperfection in the road, yet even so, I've torn the side walls on 4 tires in a little over a month, all of which happened on bumpy patches of road that were unavoidable - not even a big pothole.

Thankfully I have the wheel and tire warranty, but on the flip side it means I cannot replace my tires with Michelins, or any other tire without voiding the warranty. Would it be worth it to pay out of pocket for new tires? Or should I ride it out on the pzeros? Any advice or input would be appreciated as I'm getting tired of making the trek back to the dealer with my hazards on LOL.
You sure about that? Things might be different here in Canada but the tire/wheel warranty offered to me by the dealership here requires that replacement tires only need to be the same dimension. You may want to investigate this further if you have not already done so.

Last edited by Auto Pilot; 04-27-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-27-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG

I just hit a pot hole yesterday on 1 tire, boom $500 bucks Also have the pirelli pzeros. At least you have the warranty

Last edited by turismo1; 04-27-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:47 PM

Mercedes C43
I am having the same problem with my 2017 C43. I'm down 3 tires in less than a year and 1 Rim. I've about had it with this and thinking of switching to a GLC300 which I think will be much more practical given the road conditions. Unfortunately I do not have the tire warranty

This happened Northbound on the NJTPK. There was no driving on runflats away from this one. Got towed all the way to Virginia. Luckily the other two were local and I was able to get it to a dealer, and I got the NJTPK to pay for it, partially.

Anyone know how well the 2020 20-inch AMG Y 5-spoke tires hold up to potholes?

Old 09-18-2019, 05:32 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Kilimanj99
I am having the same problem with my 2017 C43. I'm down 3 tires in less than a year and 1 Rim. I've about had it with this and thinking of switching to a GLC300 which I think will be much more practical given the road conditions. Unfortunately I do not have the tire warranty

This happened Northbound on the NJTPK. There was no driving on runflats away from this one. Got towed all the way to Virginia. Luckily the other two were local and I was able to get it to a dealer, and I got the NJTPK to pay for it, partially.

Anyone know how well the 2020 20-inch AMG Y 5-spoke tires hold up to potholes?
A 20 inch wheel will have a profile of 30 or 35 on the sidewall, so won't hold up to potholes at all
If you still want to drive the c43 go with an 18 inch wheel that should have a bigger sidewall
Old 09-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Mercedes C43
Thanks for the reply, I love this car and its a good idea that I have looked into but to replace the tires and rims would be around $4000. It's something I'll have to think about if its worth it or worth just getting a new car with all the new bells and whistles MB recently came out with.

I definitely dont want to get a new car and have the same problem so good to know the 20's will not be good. The GLC 19's look like they have a much fatter sidewall.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
016 c450 AMG
Ummm, I'm thinking there really isn't much that will stand up to the mighty New Jersey pothole...those along with some of the infamous Michigan ones..
Old 09-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Mercedes C43
SO I talked with the dealer today and the service guy would only tell me it costs $60 to put a wheel on, he sent me to parts to get the price of a new smaller rim and larger tire. They could not tell me this, they could only tell me what it would cost to replace my same rim. $1600 per rim, ouch. So a smaller rim is probably still over $1000 per plus $500 per tire, sensors, alignment, and whatever else is needed. So I went back to service and they said they couldnt tell me because you cant replace the rims on an AMG with different rims because of the brake calipers and suspension or something like that. So I went to the sales/finance folks and asked if its too late to buy the warranty. Its NOT! which is good to know. $2400 for the tire warranty for 5 years.

So it looks like I can either

1. Deal with it the way it is and hope I dont get more tire pops than the cost of the warranty before I replace the car. Not my favorite option.
2. Buy the warranty. But then that still doesnt help reliability if I get a flat someplace and have to deal with it and getting towed and just ruining my day or trip for that matter.
3. Buy the GLC, I'm right at the break even on my c43 loan so it would be a down payment out of pocket but I wont have to worry about flats wherever I go. I'm sad to think of this option because I really love my car. I'm sure I'd love the GLC just as much but its hard.