Sponsored by:

In the Market for a New Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
In the Market for a New Car

I'm a new member here and I'm in quite a predicament. I currently own a 2004 BMW 330i sedan with a 6-speed manual, and I love the car, but at this point in my life, I'm really wanting something new and great, and I have the means financially to do so. My car has around 150k miles after owning it for over 9 years, I truly love everything about it, mainly the purely fun but also comfortable driving experience. I mainly love German cars, and I've driven my fare shares of mercedes and audis, but I bought the BMW as it was the best of the three german compact sedans from that era when looking for car, and eventually made me pick it. Times have changed, and it seems that Mercedes has finally made the C-Class a worthy contender to the BMW. My short list of cars I'm thinking about is the BMW 340i (6-Spd Manual and 8AT), the 440i Gran Coupe, the Audi S4/S5 Sportback, and then of course the car of this post, the AMG C43 (or possibility of used C450 AMG). I'm planning on test driving these cars, and then possibly finding a way to rent the ones I like for a week to experience them as a daily driver. Since I'm currently out of town on a work trip, I thought I'd start by getting some information and questions answered from those who know the car best, the owners. So, my first question and main concern (not just with the MB but all 3 cars), is the steering. I've read many bad things about electric power assist systems stating there is zero feel at all in many cars, and that the MB is better but not overall that good compared to traditional hydraulic systems. I've also read that sport mode in many cars makes them artificially too heavy while not adding any feel. How is this in your mercedes, and how does it compare to any of your previous cars or any competitor you've driven/owned? My second question/concern is the suspension. Many reviews/videos, mainly the big magazines, C&D, MT, RT, all say that the suspension in the C450/43 is too harsh for a vehicle in its class, and is uncomfortable for daily driving. I'm use to a stiff suspension from my 330i, but many reviewers said its just plain uncomfortable. How is this for you? Does the suspension annoy you, or are they just exaggerating? Also what are the differences in the C450/43. Doesn't the C450 use a 7Spd DCT while the 43 uses a 9Spd AT, how are these transmissions? I've heard that the ZF transmission in the Audi and BMW is better, and any other differences other than naming/transmission/horsepower. My last question is simple. What compelled you to buy your C450/43 over other cars, and what are some features that you love and some that you dislike. Sorry for the long post but since this is my first big purchase for myself in a while, I thought I should go really into depth and research all my possibilities any questions. Thanks so much.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I was the same as you, I was looking at 440's, 340i's and audis, porsche boxsters etc... I picked the C43, Well one, because its an "AMG". Two, its compact, fast, and practical. Not saying the others aren't. The c43 feels more exclusive to me compared to the bmw's. The c43 is also quicker, Its twin turbo & AWD. The interior is more appealing than the outdated bmw interior. The ride is a bit stiff, but its bearable... Shouldn't be too different than your 330i. The 9spd is comparable to the ZF 8 speed, i've driven both back to back. Unless you're driving a Ferrari, you won't notice a difference. The 9spd is incredibly quick. The only thing i dislike is the rear seating & the audio. The audio can be fixed, but for a car in this class and price id expect it to be a bit better for a standard sound system. I'm 5'11 and someone above 5'5 probably wont fit behind you in the C43. Rear leg room is pretty bad. but i don't care too much since im the one driving. The steering would be a bit subjective, so you must drive it. I personally like it, in sport+ it is sharp and direct. no complaints. Also a lot of people are going to be flooding this thread with "make sure you get the performance exhaust"

Last edited by C43Ayemgee; 06-28-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
I was the same as you, I was looking at 440's, 340i's and audis, porsche boxsters etc... I picked the C43, Well one, because its an "AMG". Two, its compact, fast, and practical. Not saying the others aren't. The c43 feels more exclusive to me compared to the bmw's. The c43 is also quicker, Its twin turbo & AWD. The interior is more appealing than the outdated bmw interior. The ride is a bit stiff, but its bearable... Shouldn't be too different than your 330i. The 9spd is comparable to the ZF 8 speed, i've driven both back to back. Unless you're driving a Ferrari, you won't notice a difference. The 9spd is incredibly quick. The only thing i dislike is the rear seating & the audio. The audio can be fixed, but for a car in this class and price id expect it to be a bit better for a standard sound system. I'm 5'11 and someone above 5'4 probably wont fit behind you in the C43. Rear leg room is pretty bad. but i don't care too much since im the one driving. The steering would be a bit subjective, so you must drive it. I personally like it, in sport+ it is sharp and direct. no complaints. Also a lot of people are going to be flooding this thread with "make sure you get the performance exhaust"
Thanks for your reply, I'll definitely have to check out some videos on the performance exhaust, I've heard MB & AMG have been doing some great exhaust notes with their cars as of late. The back seat isn't too much of a concern, anyone riding in the back will probably find it better than my 330i if I end up getting the car. I'll also probably hold out for the 2019 model, as I really like the virtual cockpit in the Audi and as kind of a tech nerd, and idea of a cool display in the dashboard excites me.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by Joshua Stein
I'm a new member here and I'm in quite a predicament. I currently own a 2004 BMW 330i sedan with a 6-speed manual, and I love the car, but at this point in my life, I'm really wanting something new and great, and I have the means financially to do so. My car has around 150k miles after owning it for over 9 years, I truly love everything about it, mainly the purely fun but also comfortable driving experience. I mainly love German cars, and I've driven my fare shares of mercedes and audis, but I bought the BMW as it was the best of the three german compact sedans from that era when looking for car, and eventually made me pick it. Times have changed, and it seems that Mercedes has finally made the C-Class a worthy contender to the BMW. My short list of cars I'm thinking about is the BMW 340i (6-Spd Manual and 8AT), the 440i Gran Coupe, the Audi S4/S5 Sportback, and then of course the car of this post, the AMG C43 (or possibility of used C450 AMG). I'm planning on test driving these cars, and then possibly finding a way to rent the ones I like for a week to experience them as a daily driver. Since I'm currently out of town on a work trip, I thought I'd start by getting some information and questions answered from those who know the car best, the owners. So, my first question and main concern (not just with the MB but all 3 cars), is the steering. I've read many bad things about electric power assist systems stating there is zero feel at all in many cars, and that the MB is better but not overall that good compared to traditional hydraulic systems. I've also read that sport mode in many cars makes them artificially too heavy while not adding any feel. How is this in your mercedes, and how does it compare to any of your previous cars or any competitor you've driven/owned? My second question/concern is the suspension. Many reviews/videos, mainly the big magazines, C&D, MT, RT, all say that the suspension in the C450/43 is too harsh for a vehicle in its class, and is uncomfortable for daily driving. I'm use to a stiff suspension from my 330i, but many reviewers said its just plain uncomfortable. How is this for you? Does the suspension annoy you, or are they just exaggerating? Also what are the differences in the C450/43. Doesn't the C450 use a 7Spd DCT while the 43 uses a 9Spd AT, how are these transmissions? I've heard that the ZF transmission in the Audi and BMW is better, and any other differences other than naming/transmission/horsepower. My last question is simple. What compelled you to buy your C450/43 over other cars, and what are some features that you love and some that you dislike. Sorry for the long post but since this is my first big purchase for myself in a while, I thought I should go really into depth and research all my possibilities any questions. Thanks so much.
The C450 is not using a DCT. I believe its using the old 7G-Tronic. Perhaps it was tweaked since its introduction in like 2005/6 but it is not a DCT.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Yea, Also, The gear ratios are different in the c450 obviously, so the 9 speed will feel much much quicker off the line. Audi's interior are optimal, The c43 or bimmers dont come close. If you end up getting the bmw make sure you get the performance pack, the M performance exhaust sounds very nice. The Bmw power kit also gives you an addtional 35 hp and 39tq, Although that is still less than a stock c43 .
Old 06-29-2018, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

OK, I think there were 3 questions in here somewhere. I think they were along the lines of:

1. How's the steering? How does it compare to hydraulic steering? Is sport mode just heavy and numb?

2. How's the suspension?

3. How's the tranny?

1. Steering feel on my C450 and GLC43 are great...for electric steering. They are better than any of the other electric power steering systems on other vehicles that I've driven over the last 10 years. Better than the 4 and 3 series by quite a bit IMO, and worlds better than any of the 'Merican and Japanese competition. Sport mode is only marginally heavier than C in my MB vehicles.

That said, electric steering still lacks feedback. In parking lot maneuvers and low speed driving it's great. On the hwy, the feel was better from the steering box on my old Datsun 610 than any recent electric box I've driven. Control is much better with the modern kit, especially the AMGs, but they all feel numb compared to hydraulic.

2. Suspension on the C450/C43 is especially harsh for the class, much harsher than the 4 and 3 series. Some software updates only appear to worsen the issue. This is compounded if you have 19" wheels. If I were to do it over again I would have got the 18"s instead. BMW has the superior suspension by far. AMGs tuning of the C class suspension is ***** and they honestly should be embarrassed about quality of the product they have produced. Rumor has it that the 2019 models may be a little better but I haven't driven one yet.

3. I have a C450 with the 7G tranny and a GLC43 with the 9G. The 7G is quirky, slow to downshift, and prone to hesitating for long intervals on the 2-1 downshift. I'm not a fan. The 9G however, is an excellent tranny. Very quick shifts both up and down, and has the ability to skip gears if you double click the paddles. I'm really fond of this gearbox.
Comparing to BMW then 7G<8ZF<9G

Last edited by Mr. J; 06-29-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Yea, Also, The gear ratios are different in the c450 obviously, so the 9 speed will feel much much quicker off the line. Audi's interior are optimal, The c43 or bimmers dont come close. If you end up getting the bmw make sure you get the performance pack, the M performance exhaust sounds very nice. The Bmw power kit also gives you an addtional 35 hp and 39tq, Although that is still less than a stock c43 .

MB interior materials and trim are far superior to the S4 and Q5. If you think otherwise you may need to visit the optometrist and neurologist.
Audi wins hands down for the virtual cockpit display versus the conventional and basic displays in the 2018 and earlier MB. 2019 MB C43 will give Audi a good challenge for top dog though.
The following users liked this post:
Clemenza67 (07-02-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43

If you are able to keep your 330i you should. It won't be worth that much in trade and it's a great drivers car and arguably one of the last of its breed. If you have the garage space you should relegate it to light duty and play around with mods and projects after you upgrade your DD.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:18 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
I came from a Lincoln Continental riding in plush mode, so you can imagine if you close your eyes you wouldn’t know the car was ever moving. The couch mobile extraordinaire.

That being said, I have not once had an issue with a harsh ride. No dig at anyone, but I am not as much a snob on stuff like that. I drive to and from work every day 20+ miles each way, 100% construction on poor roads and no issues. But, if you expect a plush ride from a sports car, you are in the wrong market.

9 speed is great, again purists will probably whine but it’s nice, quick, and plays well with the performance exhaust. Which, since I am mentioning it, and I can’t stress this enough, get the performance exhaust period. Videos can only do so much, if you can rip one of them from the dealer you will know.
Clemenza67 (07-02-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 02:08 AM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Mr. J
If you are able to keep your 330i you should. It won't be worth that much in trade and it's a great drivers car and arguably one of the last of its breed. If you have the garage space you should relegate it to light duty and play around with mods and projects after you upgrade your DD.
Definitely, I was planning on keeping it for those reasons, and i think it has even worse value in the eyes of a dealer since they know they can't sell anything with a stick. As car and driver states, "SAVE THE MANUALS!"
Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 AM

Mercedes
OK, I think there were 3 questions in here somewhere. I think they were along the lines of:

1. How's the steering? How does it compare to hydraulic steering? Is sport mode just heavy and numb?

2. How's the suspension?

3. How's the tranny?

1. Steering feel on my C450 and GLC43 are great...for electric steering. They are better than any of the other electric power steering systems on other vehicles that I've driven over the last 10 years. Better than the 4 and 3 series by quite a bit IMO, and worlds better than any of the 'Merican and Japanese competition. Sport mode is only marginally heavier than C in my MB vehicles.

That said, electric steering still lacks feedback. In parking lot maneuvers and low speed driving it's great. On the hwy, the feel was better from the steering box on my old Datsun 610 than any recent electric box I've driven. Control is much better with the modern kit, especially the AMGs, but they all feel numb compared to hydraulic.

2. Suspension on the C450/C43 is especially harsh for the class, much harsher than the 4 and 3 series. Some software updates only appear to worsen the issue. This is compounded if you have 19" wheels. If I were to do it over again I would have got the 18"s instead. BMW has the superior suspension by far. AMGs tuning of the C class suspension is ***** and they honestly should be embarrassed about quality of the product they have produced. Rumor has it that the 2019 models may be a little better but I haven't driven one yet.

3. I have a C450 with the 7G tranny and a GLC43 with the 9G. The 7G is quirky, slow to downshift, and prone to hesitating for long intervals on the 2-1 downshift. I'm not a fan. The 9G however, is an excellent tranny. Very quick shifts both up and down, and has the ability to skip gears if you double click the paddles. I'm really fond of this gearbox.
Comparing to BMW then 7G<8ZF<9G
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely be staying away from the C450. I watched a couple of reviews tonight and many of them pointed out that, other than the suspension, that the transmission is a weak link. Plus after seeing the redesign for 2019, I'm a big fan of the updated technology, especially the digital dash as that was one of the reasons I really liked the Audi, although I do prefer the 2018's diamond pattern grill over the new one. Transmission wise, if I do switch from a manual to an automatic for my daily, I want to have the best one possible so it will definitely be the C43. And about the suspension a shame the suspension is rough on the 19' wheels, I really love the look of the multi spoke wheels they just work well with the classy design of the C, but I would probably thank myself and my back if I went with the 18' wheels.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
On the topic of suspension, harsh ride on 19s is also highly attributed to the use runflat tires. A swap to traditional performance tire will make a world of difference. Also, yes everyday driving can be harsh, but you're buying a performance sports sedan. Having tracked the C43 at AMG Academy, I have no issues with the suspension as is. Ride height preference is another issue though...YMMV.\

Same goes for steering, I felt confident in the steering feedback on Laguna Seca in the C43, but don't really pay much attention in everyday driving. Do I feel confident in making an emergency maneuver? Definitely. Does it provide the same steering feel as my 86? Probably not.

9G is a great transmission and shifts are explosively fast, especially if you opt for the performance exhaust..which you should.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 c43 AMG
Thoughts

Get the 18” rims. The extra sidewall gives a better ride and the 18” wheels are less prone to irreparable damage if you hit a pothole. Of course the performance exhaust is mandatory:-)

ive a 2019 c43 coupe on order with 18” rims but all the goodies otherwise

no one has mentioned the coupe and cabriolet for sale in US are assembled in Germany. US sedans are assembled in Alabama. Opinions vary but build quality of Bama built cars has been called into question.

My personel opinion on color. I really like the irridium silver. I see white and black mercs all the time so I ordered silver with red interior.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
I was cross shopping these same vehicles. Go test drive one (C43), they'll be no contest after taking one for a spin!
Old 06-30-2018, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
On the topic of suspension, harsh ride on 19s is also highly attributed to the use runflat tires. A swap to traditional performance tire will make a world of difference. Also, yes everyday driving can be harsh, but you're buying a performance sports sedan. Having tracked the C43 at AMG Academy, I have no issues with the suspension as is. Ride height preference is another issue though...YMMV.\

Go flats makes hardly any difference at all. This is largely myth. I run Pilot AS3+ go-flats on my 19" wheels for fall and winter and swap to the stock conti run-flats in the summertime. The difference is barely perceptible. Wheel diameter is much more significant than tire composition.

And to point out what is blatantly obvious, racetracks are all made of silky smoothe asphalt, city streets are not. This should be clearly evident to any American driver with at least a learner's permit and a couple days of driving experience. Streets have: potholes, broken pavement, expansion joints, uneven grade, etc...

I like my car but it has some glaring deficiencies that I have learned about over the course of two years of ownership and 15000 driven miles. I am not a fanboy, I am a beta tester who has also driven quite a few other makes of vehicles in this segment.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
From a speed and handling standpoint, all German competitors in this segment are pretty competent. I personally wouldn't opt for a 340i or a 440i at this point in it's life-cycle. The F3X cars have been around forever and are really showing their age based on the sheer volume them on the roads. That being said, the 4 series still provides for a more engaging and confidence inspiring experience than the C43. The C43 has more personality...that's for sure, but once you get past the exhaust shenanigans, the ride quality is pretty terrible and fuel consumption is V8 level in Sport+. If you are okay with RWD, I would even consider a new Mustang GT with the active exhaust and digital cockpit. Good luck with the search bud!
Old 06-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD
Funny, I think the C43 interior is way better than the new S5 -- the two cars I considered when making my choice.
Clemenza67 (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
18' C43 cab
I don't know about the F series BMW's because I haven't driven one, but I can tell you this for sure. My E92 with non RFT's was much more harsh than my C43 with RFT's. Now when I I get non-RFT's on my C43, the ride will be about perfect in sport mode.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:29 PM

2019 c43 AMG
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
From a speed and handling standpoint, all German competitors in this segment are pretty competent. I personally wouldn't opt for a 340i or a 440i at this point in it's life-cycle. The F3X cars have been around forever and are really showing their age based on the sheer volume them on the roads. That being said, the 4 series still provides for a more engaging and confidence inspiring experience than the C43. The C43 has more personality...that's for sure, but once you get past the exhaust shenanigans, the ride quality is pretty terrible and fuel consumption is V8 level in Sport+. If you are okay with RWD, I would even consider a new Mustang GT with the active exhaust and digital cockpit. Good luck with the search bud!
Ive driven a mustang with the performance package for three years. It is MUCH harsher than the c43. You feel every bump. There is no comparison. Merc wins hands down
Old 06-30-2018, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Clint Westwood
I don't know about the F series BMW's because I haven't driven one, but I can tell you this for sure. My E92 with non RFT's was much more harsh than my C43 with RFT's. Now when I I get non-RFT's on my C43, the ride will be about perfect in sport mode.

I need to test drive a 2018+ c43. My 2016 c450 has awful suspension. It's not just the harshness on impact. It's hard to describe but impact is harsh and "crashy" but rebound is soft and "floaty". Basically, the worst of both worlds. You get a jolting impact over every bump and then a bouncy rebound effect that upsets cornering. If the suspension was just too tight I could adapt.

All of these dampening characteristics are software controlled so hopefully the newer models are better engineered.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by J**2

Ive driven a mustang with the performance package for three years. It is MUCH harsher than the c43. You feel every bump. There is no comparison. Merc wins hands down
I'm not sure how you can make that claim since you don't actually own a C43 yet?
All test drives that I made were on roadways that were carefully selected by the dealership. That coupled with new car excitement makes it tough to notice any issues on the test drive.

Last edited by Mr. J; 06-30-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:46 PM

A Benz and a BMW
Originally Posted by J**2

Interesting. My younger bro has a GT (without the performance package) and it's substantially smoother on all types of pavement than my C43. I've heard the performance package really does a number on the harshness of the GT ride so maybe that's why you feel that way. Having had considerable time in both cars though - the C43 has a harsher ride in my case.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:47 PM

A Benz and a BMW
Originally Posted by Clint Westwood
My F32 with P-zero RFTs is substantially smoother than my C43 with P-zero RFTs.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
My F32 with P-zero RFTs is substantially smoother than my C43 with P-zero RFTs.

What year is your C43?
Old 06-30-2018, 07:31 PM

2019 c43 AMG
Simple

I'm not sure how you can make that claim since you don't actually own a C43 yet?
All test drives that I made were on roadways that were carefully selected by the dealership. That coupled with new car excitement makes it tough to notice any issues on the test drive.
because I drove on the roads I wanted to drive on not the ones the dealer wanted and I’ve driven three different c43s each for over 30 minutes and my mustang even on smooth roads feels every crack and undulation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In the Market for a New Car