Dash Cam Preferences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43
Dash Cam Preferences?

Hi all,

Long time lurker. First time poster. I’m getting a 2019 C43 sedan in the next couple of months and want to purchase a dash cam. I’ve seen so many options that it’s a little overwhelming. I was hoping some of you might have some suggestions.

Im looking for something that I can use without it being plugged in, something that can record while the car is parked, and the ability to record during night drives.

I’m also interested in any other features you all might think are useful.

Also, does anyone use a rear facing camera as well? Thought that might be useful for situations where someone parking behind me may bump my car.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 GLS580; 2019 E450 4M Coupe; 2019 Lexus ES350
I've been using a BlackVue DR750S for over a year on my GLE350 without any issue. It's a 2 channel (front and rear facing cameras) that will record 1080p even when the car is parked. Night vision is great and you can find plenty of reviews on youtube. I love the fact that I can connect my phone to the camera wirelessly via wifi and view videos in real time or download the recorded videos to my phone. I believe there's a newer version out that records 4k video now.
The following 2 users liked this post by dtl919:
Cirvin (10-21-2018), Schnippy (10-23-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:15 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/sho...dr900s-2ch-4k/

This is mine, its brilliant and does the job. Importantly its discrete. I dont even notice its there and I have it hard wired in my car. Fits perfectly without any issues. Mind you if you have coupe its a nightmare getting in and out of the back seat during installation.

The other plus is that it clearly identifies the license plates of cars in front of you, not sure behind, havent checked that in great detail. But Im confident it would.

I tipped the guy $100 for installation and said to him if he doesnt scratch or brake anything in the car he gets it. In Australia we generally dont tip. I tipped because any broken parts would have cost me $100s so he put a lot more care during installation.
The following users liked this post:
Cirvin (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:16 PM

AMG C43 3LV6
If you google online there is a youtube clip of the Blackvue installed in a C43.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
hey man,

I installed the DR900s - 2ch.

Here is a clip of the front cam in 4K, any resolution lower you will not be able to see the number plates.

I suggest you buy the 16GB and buy a 128GB card after its cheaper

I bought the blackvue backup battery aswell, I plugged in a 4G modem to the backup battery as it has USB ports so I can use the cloud features. I can login and view the cameras when the car is off and also get push notifications of movement and impact via my phone.
Cirvin (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:32 AM

C43
Originally Posted by Spaggettio
hey man,

I installed the DR900s - 2ch.

Here is a clip of the front cam in 4K, any resolution lower you will not be able to see the number plates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sgkBQfWk3o

I suggest you buy the 16GB and buy a 128GB card after its cheaper

I bought the blackvue backup battery aswell, I plugged in a 4G modem to the backup battery as it has USB ports so I can use the cloud features. I can login and view the cameras when the car is off and also get push notifications of movement and impact via my phone.
Thanks. The quality looks amazing. Did you do the install yourself? If so, how difficult is it. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being no experience and 10 being an auto body mechanic) my level of handiness is about a 2. I'd prefer not to have someone take apart the car to install the camera, but I also don't know if it's something I could do myself.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
i had a professional install mine and also hardwire the phone charger. He fused and labelled everything. I suggest finding a good installer.
Cirvin (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 PM

AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by Cirvin
Thanks. The quality looks amazing. Did you do the install yourself? If so, how difficult is it. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being no experience and 10 being an auto body mechanic) my level of handiness is about a 2. I'd prefer not to have someone take apart the car to install the camera, but I also don't know if it's something I could do myself.
DONT INSTALL IT YOURSELF IF YOURE A 2.

The hassles you will encounter will be mind boggling. Its easy for a pro, but challenging for a novice. If my life dependent on it I could possibly do it but I could also break and or damage other things. Why would you? When there is pros that have done this 100s of times. If I had a cheap car, I would do it myself.

I told the installer its like a doctor doing an operation on a family member lol. Dont look at the operation wait till its finished. Seeing your car pulled apart I would hate it too.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
I'm on the same boat. Heard good things about the blackvues.
But shall we be concern about mounting the sticker pad onto the rear window with tint? Would that make it a permanent fixture there because the adhesive would be super tough to remove without damaging the tint?
Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM

C43
Originally Posted by mcschan86
I'm on the same boat. Heard good things about the blackvues.
But shall we be concern about mounting the sticker pad onto the rear window with tint? Would that make it a permanent fixture there because the adhesive would be super tough to remove without damaging the tint?
Good question. I'd imagine so.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:31 PM

C43
Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
DONT INSTALL IT YOURSELF IF YOURE A 2.

The hassles you will encounter will be mind boggling. Its easy for a pro, but challenging for a novice. If my life dependent on it I could possibly do it but I could also break and or damage other things. Why would you? When there is pros that have done this 100s of times. If I had a cheap car, I would do it myself.

I told the installer its like a doctor doing an operation on a family member lol. Dont look at the operation wait till its finished. Seeing your car pulled apart I would hate it too.
Spaggettio's initial post read like he installed it himself, which is why I asked. If he installed it himself with no issues and was a novice, then I planned to consider it. Regardless, it looks like he had it professionally done, which is what I will look into.