Sponsored by:

Frozen Windows ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Frozen Windows ?

Hi All, perhaps more specifically to those who live in colder climates. While it has been incredibly cold here in Toronto for the last couple of days, so that anomaly aside , it doesn’t take much below freezing to cause my windows to be frozen and not go down. Normally this should not be an issue because “it’s cold out why do you want your windows down” however when going through a drive through for coffee I have to pull past the window to open door and order etc which sometime has be banging into window,or more embarrassingly having to get out of my “nice car” while guy in ****box behind me laughs. Anyone else experience this, as it consistently happens to my sedan whenever it gets even slightly cold out. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
MBUSER77 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by GWSHARK
Hi All, perhaps more specifically to those who live in colder climates. While it has been incredibly cold here in Toronto for the last couple of days, so that anomaly aside , it doesn’t take much below freezing to cause my windows to be frozen and not go down. Normally this should not be an issue because “it’s cold out why do you want your windows down” however when going through a drive through for coffee I have to pull past the window to open door and order etc which sometime has be banging into window,or more embarrassingly having to get out of my “nice car” while guy in ****box behind me laughs. Anyone else experience this, as it consistently happens to my sedan whenever it gets even slightly cold out. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
This shouldn't be happening when it's slightly cold out as you mentioned, but it does happen to me too now and then. That being said, it was as cold as -38 Celsius with wind chill over these last few days so I'm not surprised.
A random aside - is your car parked out in your driveway at night or in a cold garage? The guy in the ****box behind you probably has underground parking.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
@5ilver-5urfer appreciate the feedback, it’s parked outside in driveway. It just doesn’t seem to take much to freeze them. I remember reading some thread way back about some sedan owners getting weather stripping replaced due to excessive wind noise, not sure if this is related? My car isn’t too bad as it relates to wind noise. I’ve lived in Toronto for most of my life and never had this issue with other cars ( freezing windows).
Old 01-22-2019, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Ignore the "nice car" factor...ice doesn't car what brand of car you're in. However, IMO, I don't see how the window would be stuck unless there's moisture somewhere to actually freeze. Purely cold temps should have no effect on window operation. If you're getting rain or snow/sleet that is slightly melting on contact, then freezing, this could easily happen. It's happened on the Benz. It happened this last Friday here in Nebraska on my wife's Land Rover when we got freezing drizzle. She happened to think of it and tested the window before getting trapped in the drivethru at Starbucks, so she just parked and went inside.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
I always hate opening my window when it is frosted over so I don't think I would mind it being "broken" anyway. I drive a coupe and I cringe every time I open the door and it cracks down a little...
Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C43
I've got the same problem. I've had my '19 C43 sedan for a week and a half, it's parked in a garage at home and at work, and the windows are frozen shut whenever its just a little below freezing. Doesn't make sense... they're clean with no ice/snow on them at all. I've never had this problem in any car before. Last car was an M3 coupe with frameless windows and they worked flawlessly no matter what the temperature or how much ice was on the window. I'm pretty sure this must be a design flaw?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Try swiping a credit card btwn the rubber seal and glass from the outside.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
On the brand new C43 as you describe they should work. You could spray the window channels with a DRY silicone spray to push out any moisture and the dry silicone helps the glass slide. They usually have a long nozzle and you should spray enough so that it runs down the channels into the doors.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 AMG C43 T
This is normal in cold weather, trust me, I live in Norway. I seldom have this issue, since I normally park in a garage and I also have a auxiliary heater.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:43 PM

2019 C43
Besides abnormal frozen windows (even when the temp is only slightly below freezing)...have you guys noticed after rain or car wash, our windows get wet when opening and closing them for a really long period of time? It's obviously normal for wet streaking when you open and close a window after a car wash for 24 hours or so...but it seems like my door frame never dries out? 3-4 days after rain and I still get streaking when opening my windows.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
It happens to me every winter. I'm also in Toronto and it was really cold a few weeks ago. I have the coupe so the frameless is even more scary when you open the door and hear it crack from one side to the other.

When the door opens and closes, the frameless supposedly rolls slightly down and up. There was this one time it couldn't roll back up when door was closed. I didn't notice until I heard wind leaking through during my drive. It was concerning because I didn't know if the door actually latches properly.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
C43
There is a easy fix.

Buy a can of silicone spray and apply to the rubber channels the windows slide in. Work it in with a cloth and your problem should be history.
The following users liked this post:
MBUSER77 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:33 AM

C43 AMG
I had this experience today. Windows jammed of my C43 2021 this morning. I am gonna try silicone spray.