C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting screwed by CARID.com savini rims. HELP please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 AM

Received 181 Likes on 72 Posts
2016 Mercedes C450AMG sedan
Thumbs down Getting screwed by CARID.com savini rims. HELP please!

Hello all, and my apologies if there is another thread that I overlooked that has this same issue.

Read a lot of posts with owners upgrading OEM rims and the hard fought trial and error battles to find the right size and offsets to fit our ride due to the uniqueness of a larger control arm, calipers and suspension on the front.
Was looking (and knew I should have gone with it) at a forged set of Lexani 108 3piece ZLT's at 20x7.5 eta 33 fronts and 20x8.5 eta 49 rears, hub bore size 66.6 for my 2016 C450 AMG. With customization, price was around $7500. Currently have the OEM 18" AMG rims and lowered on H&R springs.
Instead, I thought what the hell I'll give it a shot and order a set of Savini BM-12's 20x8.5 in Gloss Black from CARID.com
Price was around $1800. Spoke to CARID about the uniqueness and strongly mentioned about the fitment issues with the current OEM eta specs.
Most likely to make the sale they "guaranteed" that the Savini rims will fit and specifically that "we should leave it up to the Savini engineers to choose the offsets". In addition, another representative emailed stating that the wheels are not offered in a staggered configuration but she confirmed "these will still work [fit]".
Well to no surprise received some really nice 20" rims all at 20x8.5 and ALL with an eta of 32.
Test fitted them over at the local discount tire shop and the front rim fit right to the outer wheel well but because of the increased rim width barely could get a business card between the inner rim lip and the knuckle.

CARID Savini 20x8.5 eta 32 inner rim lip "business card" clearance from knuckle.

For the rear, plenty of inner rim clearance but the rim itself sits about 17mm past the edge of the wheel well.

CARID Savini 20x8.5 eta 32 on rear with 17mm over extension

After bringing this to the attention of the representatives at CARID.com to start a return and actually just get a full credit to apply towards the forged lexani set (since they are one of the few vendors that offer a forged 20x7.5); started getting the run around. A couple days later with no reply called back and they flat out told me they are non-returnable.
Extensively explained and emailed the rep that their website return policy states that if rims were unmounted, not a tire and wheel package, listed as a "guaranteed fit", and were not listed at the original day of ordering as "non-returnable" then the website shows that a RMA would be issued for full refund less any shipping charges. Of course, Savini states that "they have ran this setup many times on other C450's" and as such won't take the rims back.
As such CARID is taking the stance that since their vendor won't take the rims back, then CARID won't either...despite what their return policy states. Talk about some serious B.S!
Right now my email is falling to I am sure deaf ears with "upper management" as the rep forwarded it up to his manager. Will post an update on their response.
In the meantime, while I am feeling like I am getting screwed,

1. Does anyone have experience with this situation with CARID and their solution should CARID screw me on this one and refuse, against their own return policy, on refunding the $1800? Would this hold up if I contacted the credit card company? btw still hadn't received the rest of my order to include mounting hardware and locking lug nuts.

2. Does anyone have any experience with a work around to make these rims fit? Possibly a 3-5mm spacer for the front-would this give enough clearance to fit a tire safely from the knuckle? Any solution for the rear, not sure how to get the rear to an eta of 49 from 32 and try to bring the rim back to flush with the wheel well??

My sincerest gratitude for those who take the time to read this and constructively respond.
Thanking you all in advance

Last edited by Hrd_workin; 02-19-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:49 AM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
what credit card are you using?
your credit card company is on your side !
dispute it with your credit card !
The following users liked this post:
Hrd_workin (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:57 AM

Hello Netboy,
Using Chase business preferred.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
You can make these fit. A machine shop can shave the hub for the rear (although camber from lowering will likely take out most of the extra fitment you have). and a simple 3 mm spacer will give enough clearance to fit the front.

There's a good reason to use a rep that you have confidence in.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
If all of what you state above is true, dispute, dispute, dispute with your credit card company and let them handle. If CARID gets back in touch with you, tell them the same thing...forcefully. I personally would not keep the rims and try and "rig" them to fit your vehicle, especially with the awful customer service.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by alexasa
You can make these fit. A machine shop can shave the hub for the rear (although camber from lowering will likely take out most of the extra fitment you have). and a simple 3 mm spacer will give enough clearance to fit the front.

There's a good reason to use a rep that you have confidence in.
Thank you for the response. So it’s possible for a machine shop to mill out 17mm on the inner hub land area? Would this affect the strength of the rim?
Worse case scenario this has to be done is there a specific verbiage I should use when I call around to machine shops so they know what I am talking about?
Thanks again
Old 02-19-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisk03
If all of what you state above is true, dispute, dispute, dispute with your credit card company and let them handle. If CARID gets back in touch with you, tell them the same thing...forcefully. I personally would not keep the rims and try and "rig" them to fit your vehicle, especially with the awful customer service.
Thanks, I agree. Just looking into worse case options if I do get stuck with these rims.
Hopefully can get things resolved today.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
CarID are idiots, they list wrong offsets for C450/C43, when I was ordering my wheels (including a replacement wheel) I literally had to fight with them. While you can make the front fit with the 3-5mm spacer and lowering springs, you will need a much bigger spacer in the rear.
I'd just open a claim with Chase and send these back for a refund. Or just send them back and exchange for 19" with proper offset.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Hrd_workin

Thank you for the response. So it’s possible for a machine shop to mill out 17mm on the inner hub land area? Would this affect the strength of the rim?
Worse case scenario this has to be done is there a specific verbiage I should use when I call around to machine shops so they know what I am talking about?
Thanks again
That fitment should be perfect for the rear, if the suspension is at full droop it won't be indicative to the actual fitment when the wheel/suspension has load on it. camber will naturally set the top of the wheel in further. I ran extremely similar overall offset/fitment with no issues.

But if you were dead set you would need to mill off the rear of the hub and re implement the hub centric chamfer that is likely to be milled off in the process (please use a jack or set the car down to make sure you want weak offset before doing this).

Wheel lips are designed differently, but check this example:

Originally Posted by mo11
Recently switched from 20’s to 19’s. My previous setup were 20x8.5 +32 offset with 245/35 front, and 20x10 +55 offset rear. The tire diameter was getting too tall it was affecting how quick i could take off from a stop.
After doing some calculations on tire diameters and the lust to get wider tires without risking the 4matic f/r ratio. I decided to switch to 19x8.5 +30 offset front, and 19x10 +55 rear. Matched it with 255/35 and 295/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, respectively. I knew the diameter would fit since my 20’s were taller. I’m still on H&R springs and as usual the concern was the suspension up front and the wheel well in the rear.
When I first saw the tires for the rear, I really thought there was no way it would fit in the back. Even the guys in the shop were crossing their fingers, hahaha!

So, to those who dare to drive with these tolerances, I’ll be attaching pics and how the car looks. I do have very slight rubbing on “C” mode on dips, but who ever drives on “C”, anyways, hahaha! Sport+ is preferred mode but still slight rubbing on big dips, and only the fender liners. Nothing touches the chassis and paint. I can say, the tire widths outweighs the slight rubbing.... very negligible.

Wheels: VSForged VS-06, forged monoblock, brushed aluminum.

Now to the gnarly part...

suspension clearance: right front,

Left front,

I know it’s not for everyone, but I hope this helps anyone willing to go this route...

Thanks to everyone who posted their specs and pics on this thread. I know it helped me a whole lot!

Last edited by alexasa; 02-19-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Mercedes and BMW
Hrd workin, sorry about your experience. I went to Vibe Motorsports to make my Savini purchase. My wheel dimensions for the front are 20x8.5 with 32et and 20x9.5 with 46et for the rears. The wheels were also specially designed by Savini. For the fronts I used 245 35 20s and the rim was like yours, it barely cleared the control arm. I am using 3mm hub centric spacers which is so thin and have no issues at all.
For the rears I have 20x9.5 with et46 and they are fender flush with no spacers required.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
also don't pay $7500 to put a 7.5" wheel on this car. 8" in the front fits perfectly fine with stock offset of 33. 9" fits perfectly fine in the rear with offset range from 55-42 without poking. once mounted the wheels will swing in once put on the ground and suspension compresses. that rear 8.5 wheel with et32 should fit right in if you are lowerd once suspension is compressed
Old 02-19-2019, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
At this point with that BS they told you. I'd call and do a charge back so fast it'd make your head spin. Anything further with them and management would be a waste of time IMHO. They already showed their true colors. Last thing you want to do is to be stuck with a set of wheels. Then jerking around with getting things milled and shaved on a set of wheels you don't want and they should take back. That doesn't sound like any fun if you ask me.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by alexasa
That fitment should be perfect for the rear, if the suspension is at full droop it won't be indicative to the actual fitment when the wheel/suspension has load on it. camber will naturally set the top of the wheel in further. I ran extremely similar overall offset/fitment with no issues.

But if you were dead set you would need to mill off the rear of the hub and re implement the hub centric chamfer that is likely to be milled off in the process (please use a jack or set the car down to make sure you want weak offset before doing this).

Wheel lips are designed differently, but check this example:
Thanks so much for the repost of the pics from the other thread. Those are indeed tight clearances as well on the front. I see your point with going to the 19”s
Old 02-20-2019, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by b6tbfmp
Hrd workin, sorry about your experience. I went to Vibe Motorsports to make my Savini purchase. My wheel dimensions for the front are 20x8.5 with 32et and 20x9.5 with 46et for the rears. The wheels were also specially designed by Savini. For the fronts I used 245 35 20s and the rim was like yours, it barely cleared the control arm. I am using 3mm hub centric spacers which is so thin and have no issues at all.
For the rears I have 20x9.5 with et46 and they are fender flush with no spacers required.
Thanks for the info on your numbers. Yeah sounds like the 3mm spacer will help-if I get stuck with these.
Any specific company you would recommend that is a quality hub centric product? Also any recommendations on where to get longer lug bolts?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 AM

Just an update.
Spoke to CARID today, on request of Savini, they had asked me to dry mount the rim on the front and lower the car down so that the suspension became “uncompressed” to see if the space between the rim and the knuckle changed.
Did that as much as possible with a pad underneath, to the minimum level that I could still get the car back up with the jack without crushing my CF side skirts.
Here are the new pics with the tape measurement for reference. Barely two credit card thickness can fit. Is there room to even mount a tire without a spacer??
Would a 3mm spacer make this a safe clearance for a 20” 245/30 tire? (Recommended by Butler tire)
Thank you all in advance.

Dry mounted and lowered as much as possible

Seems like the space is even less
Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Mercedes and BMW

Thanks for the info on your numbers. Yeah sounds like the 3mm spacer will help-if I get stuck with these.
Any specific company you would recommend that is a quality hub centric product? Also any recommendations on where to get longer lug bolts?
https://www.ebay.com/i/331286914364?chn=ps

I bought my spacers from ebay..see link.
The 3mm spacer gave me a tad more space away from the control arm, see picture. As for the lugs I reused what Savini provided. I had enough turns to be safe.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Easy way to solve this problem is to first call your credit card company and dispute the purchase and follow-up with documentation of their return policy and the information that they provided that stated that these wheels would fit your vehicle. And demand that they provide you with a return shipping method. When that charge back hits them it'll get their attention. You're spending a lot of time trying to fix something that is not your fault. So unless you love those wheels to the point that you're willing to do anything, even if it's not safe to get them on your car you need to shop for some other wheels from another source. If it's all that critical, I would go to a local source that can guarantee the entire job, yes the wheels might cost you a little more but the service will be worth it.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
i really like these wheels.
when it's time to get new tires for my c450, I might give these wheels a try.
would be nice if someone try these wheels first to see if it fits c450.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-inch-Mer...s/362420720935

Last edited by netboy; 02-21-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
Just an update.
Spoke to CARID today, on request of Savini, they had asked me to dry mount the rim on the front and lower the car down so that the suspension became “uncompressed” to see if the space between the rim and the knuckle changed.
Did that as much as possible with a pad underneath, to the minimum level that I could still get the car back up with the jack without crushing my CF side skirts.
Here are the new pics with the tape measurement for reference. Barely two credit card thickness can fit. Is there room to even mount a tire without a spacer??
Would a 3mm spacer make this a safe clearance for a 20” 245/30 tire? (Recommended by Butler tire)
Thank you all in advance.

Dry mounted and lowered as much as possible

Seems like the space is even less

With the tire mounted, I don't see how there won't be rubbing of the inner sidewall there. It seems like they are trying to ask you to jump through some hoops that you shouldn't have to. I am with many others here, who suggest you file a dispute with your credit card company. I have had a similar issue with a vendor many years ago, where I ordered something that didn't fit properly when I tried to install it; not even close. The vendor was adamant it should fit, and refused a return. Called the credit card company and filed a dispute. They initially asked that I ship the item back. When I informed them that it would cost me a over hundred dollars to ship the item back (it was an exhaust, vendor was in Australia), they said nevermind on the return, just show send them a copy of the email where the vendor refused to refund or accept return. Less than two week later, I got my money back on my card.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:37 AM

Update: So finally got a response from CARID and they processed a RMA and shipping labels to return the rims.
Of course can’t count the chickens until they have hatched since they stressed that once they receive the items “it has to pass their inspection for mounting, damage etc.”
so took photos of everything and back to CARID.
I agree with you all from the get go- if there is any other snag will definitely file a dispute.
As someone mentioned I will look for a local dealer instead.
Had called Butler as mentioned, and they never sent their quote or emailed back about a set of rims. Guess business is good for these online places and they don’t like $$$.