Sponsored by:

C43 Coupe - Shipping from SA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C
C43 Coupe - Shipping from SA

Been following this section eagerly as I await the delivery of my C Coupe. I’ve read up on other threads regarding build location and that supposedly Coupes are from Germany and Sedans are from SA. Not interested in turning this into a big argument like I’ve seen other threads become.

I was just wondering if anyone is aware of the Coupe’s build location changing? I say this as the shipping information shows the cargo ship departing from SA?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
That would be news to me and I'm curious. VIN character 11 indicates the production plant, so if you have the VIN, you can check where yours was made. My 2019 C63S Coupe produced in Feb was made in Bremen as expected.

A-E Sindelfingen
F-H Bremen
J Rastatt
X Graz
T Karmann
V Valmet Automotive, Finland
L Pekan, Pahang, Malaysia
M Woking, England (SLR)
N Kecskemet, Hungary
R South Africa
Old 04-02-2019, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
You should also check the body style in the VIN to make sure your dealership actually ordered the coupe. It should be a J.

VIN Character 5: Body Style

A Roadster
B Long Body
F Sedan
G Sedan Long WB
H Wagon
J Coupe
K Cabriolet
M AMG
Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM

C
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I haven’t been issued the VIN yet which is why I consulted the forums. I’ll make sure to check the VIN when it arrives (only a few weeks away but so excited!) right after I enjoy the car regardless

Forums have been tiding me over for the last few months but hopefully for not long into the future.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
The VIN gets issued at the end of production and your dealer can look it up in the system. Maybe others from Australia can confirm this, but I have a feeling that they are shipping the cars through SA. It seems more direct to ship the cars to the plant in SA via the Mediterranean Sea and land, and then put them on a vessel to Australia, instead of loading it in Bremerhaven and then go all around Europe and Africa to Australia. They already ship parts to SA on a regular basis.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 PM

C
That makes sense haha. I was tracking the ship from previous route as I was under the assumption they would load on cars and parts from Germany, ship to SA. Offload parts and take on Sedans/other cars before shipping again. Only 3-4 weeks out from delivery now and I guess knowing won’t change anything.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Hello, just so you know. All C-Classes, GLE's and GLA's are assembled in Alabama. The engines and parts come form Germany, USA and Canada.

Not sure of the other models but I do know that all AMG are built and shipped from Germany.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
Hello, just so you know. All C-Classes, GLE's and GLA's are assembled in Alabama. The engines and parts come form Germany, USA and Canada.

Not sure of the other models but I do know that all AMG are built and shipped from Germany.
Sorry, but this is only partially correct. Only the C-Class Sedans for the North American markets are made in Alabama, including AMG C-Class Sedans. All C-Class Coupes, Cabriolets are made in Bremen, Germany. For other markets, the C-Class Sedans (including AMGs) are made in East London, South Africa, and some are still made in Germany. At least that's based on the latest known information. This is also reflected in the European Delivery Program. C-Class Sedans (including AMGs) are not available for European Delivery, but the Coupes are. Only models actually made in Europe are available for European Delivery. Here's a pretty good PDF detailing all the production locations and what's built where. The AMG 4.0 V8TT continous to be built under the one man one engine principle in Affalterbach, Germany, and shipped to Bremen, Alabama and South Africa for final assembly into the C63/S variants.

https://facts.daimler.com/fileadmin/...s_PDF_VIEW.pdf