Sponsored by:

2019 C43 front tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 c43 coupe
2019 C43 front tires

Just had my 12 month service car has 5900 miles and the dealer informs me I need new front tires. They are the Pirelli Pzero run flats now I had a 2017 that needed front tires after 12000 miles but 5900 WTF
Anyone else have this kind of problem?

Last edited by Robert Miner; 02-12-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2019 C63CS
Need more information. Did you ask them specifically why it needs new front tires? Is there uneven wear, or do they have normal wear? If there's uneven wear, then they need to check the alignment and suspension components. I just had my 10k service with my C63S and the front tire inner edges were all chewed up and the belts started to show. My alignment was off. Both front toe angles were out of spec and as a result it ruined the tires. Not unusual. The suspension settles over the first few thousand miles and if you drive on rough roads or hit a bump or pothole it's possible for the alignment to go bad. I generally recommend to check the alignment during the first year of ownership once the suspension has had some time to settle, and it's a good idea to get the alignment checked annually on a performance car.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-12-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:00 PM

2019 c43 coupe
They claimed it's normal and see it all the time. I live in OC CA not many rough roads here and no potholes. No alignment issue I've been told these cars being heavy and all wheel drive can cause the load during corning to be hard on the tires but it's not like I'm at the track just normal (may be a little aggressive) driving. It's the outside or the tire so either camber or caster I'm not sure at any rate dealer (Fletcher Jones NB) claims it's normal on these cars.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Ok, perhaps others who have lived with these cars can better say if it's normal or not, but it doesn't sound normal at all. Camber and caster can't be adjusted in stock form and outside edge wear typically happens if something in the suspension is messed up or worn such as ball joints, sagging springs and more. Inner edge tire wear is much more common due to aggressive camber. More so on a C63 than a C43, but outside edge wear doesn't sound right. I've had Audis for the last 14 years and never had the outside edge wear on any of them. They are also heavy and AWD.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:49 PM

2019 c43 coupe
My bad it is on the inside of the tire just checked, ha I've had 2 S5's before the MB and went through front tires at about 10-12k they claimed I just drove it hard.
I think I'll give MB customer service a call tomorrow but don't expect much in the way of help.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. Inner edge wear is to be expected, but only 6000 miles does seem rather early. I would have them actually check the alignment and give you a printout of the specs. You wanna make sure the alignment is actually within specs. RF tires are garbage, that's no secret and on my previous RS5 I also got 12k out of a set at most. I never ever had RF tires. Might wanna consider going with a better tire once you confirm that the alignment is actually OK. The C43 does have a fixed torque split as opposed to the S5 which uses a torsen style center differential that changes the split based on traction, so there is less torque forced to the front tires.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by superswiss
Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. Inner edge wear is to be expected, but only 6000 miles does seem rather early. I would have them actually check the alignment and give you a printout of the specs. You wanna make sure the alignment is actually within specs. RF tires are garbage, that's no secret and on my previous RS5 I also got 12k out of a set at most. I never ever had RF tires. Might wanna consider going with a better tire once you confirm that the alignment is actually OK. The C43 does have a fixed torque split as opposed to the S5 which uses a torsen style center differential that changes the split based on traction, so there is less torque forced to the front tires.
I’m pretty sure the S5 has not used a Torsen center diff for some years now, more than 5 years perhaps.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by TModelle
I’m pretty sure the S5 has not used a Torsen center diff for some years now, more than 5 years perhaps.
I said torsen style, but yes. The last actual Torsen was the Type C introduced in the B7 RS4. The B8 RS5 (2010) introduced a new crown gear center differential, but Audi went back to a planetary gear self-locking center differential in the current generation (B9). The previous generation manual transmission S5 (B8) kept the Torsen Type C all the way through the last model year of 2017. The S-tronic (dual clutch) S5 got the crown gear from the RS5 starting with model year 2013 as part of the facelift. Both the crown gear and the new planetary gear diff use clutch packs to lock at various ratios. My main point was that the torque split isn't fixed as it is in the C43. The diff can change the split from its default 40f:60r to up to 15f:85r and 70f:30r. This is mainly relevant when the roads are dry. In low traction scenarios, torque naturally flows to the axle with traction as long as the center differential maintains some kind of lock ratio.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-13-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
it's the oem wheels and tires. they are garbage and don't even stand up straight when they are sitting flat on the ground.

I am lowered with more camber than stock on aftermarket wheels and tires and have ran 20k with no inner wear issues.
The following users liked this post:
Sleepy914 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:50 PM
anb

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 c43
Originally Posted by Robert Miner
Just had my 12 month service car has 5900 miles and the dealer informs me I need new front tires. They are the Pirelli Pzero run flats now I had a 2017 that needed front tires after 12000 miles but 5900 WTF
Anyone else have this kind of problem?
Hi Robert.

I have a 2019 c43 with the exact same tyres and I'm in the exact same situation as you at 10k miles so I'm thinking this is normal.

My rears are green and fronts red.

I'm going to change all 4 tyres to Michelin pilot sport 4's. I'm not a fan of run flats so it will be a good change. Don't pay Mercedes to swap them they will rip you off big time.

Here I the uk I'm getting all 4 for total £500 online.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:55 PM
SPONSOR

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Yes, with the ever increasing speed of assembly lines, today's autos only have front and rear Toe "directional" adjustment!

Therefore owners having to compromise by accepting the costly, premature edge tire wear, if other than showroom height conditions.

No front Camber or Caster. No rear Camber to allow to "adjust tire contact angles" to spread load more evenly and cater for day to day commuting - encountering high cambered roads, wheel squat through load carrying or lowering, fitting wide profile tires/wheels, curb knocks or just the means to correctly resolve steering pull.

We saw the need therefore to re instate from the early 90's once again full, precise adjustment.

C43 KMAC front kit for an investment of $380 P/N 503316-2 J simply replaces the upper arm inner bushings - bush extraction tool supplied (no need for arm removal)

Provides up to 1.5 degrees Positive or Negative Camber and Caster adjustability. Precise adjustment which is more than enough to resolve any edge tire wear issues (the inaccurate - one offset position OEM bolts which are not available for this model only provide 0.3 of one degree).

For the rear P/N 502226 K ($480) provides Camber adjustment also for the 1st time (and extra Toe adjustment to compensate)

Is also precisely adjustable and bush extraction tool included.

Delivery $40 one kit ($60 F/R kits)

Click the link below for Mercedes pamphlet
https://imgur.com/xFJ2hpX
Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
GLA250 4Matic, 911 Carrera S, R1250 GS Adv.
I'd say that kind of tire wear is not normal at all and that you're experiencing an alignment issue. Hard to know why that happened, but at least you now have a reason to dump those runflats. What I'd recommend is that you find a good alignment shop (not the dealer) to check the wheel alignment and correct any issues. They should be able to report exactly what's in or out of spec and by how much - and then fix it. And then install some good non-runflat tires (maybe at the same alignment shop or maybe elsewhere). As mentioned above, the dealer is not your friend tirewise, particularly since it doesn't look like you can call Warranty on any of this.

Last edited by Sailorlite; 02-13-2020 at 11:22 PM.