C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to change the climate more than 1 degree at a time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 11:40 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Any way to change the climate more than 1 degree at a time?

I am somewhat annoyed that there is no way to set the climate to lowest and highest with one touch. Also, holding the up or down temperature button changes the temperature by 1 degree at a time; it also doesn't speed up when holding down over the span of several seconds either.

Please tell me that I am missing something here because being in the states and using Fahrenheit means that I am waiting like 30 seconds or have to repeatedly click the up/down temperature button while driving to adjust temperature. I'm not looking for a "deal with it, it's not very hard". I am looking for a "you're wrong, there IS a way to change the temperature quickly and you can change to lowest or highest with just 1 press of a button!"

Please. Tell me there is a way.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:32 AM
jzf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C43 AMG

Starts around 2:53

Seems like you can change the temperature faster from hitting the menu button down and selecting temperature then adjust with the knob in the center but it might be more work.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:37 PM

C43
That is great. A few button presses but definitely better than having to wait or click 1 button 20 times. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2020, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
When would you need to go from highest to lowest, or vice versa, settings?
The following users liked this post:
chriscole247 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:25 PM

C43
Originally Posted by decorily
I don't, but it's still annoying to have to go sequentially 1 by 1. I go from lowest to 78 a lot and that takes 18 clicks.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by Ramsino
I don't, but it's still annoying to have to go sequentially 1 by 1. I go from lowest to 78 a lot and that takes 18 clicks.
Still don't understand why you would need to adjust so much..... but could you use MBUX to request a specific temp?
Old 09-16-2020, 04:37 PM

C43
Still don't understand why you would need to adjust so much..... but could you use MBUX to request a specific temp?
I have not tried the voice command, but I don't think the 2020 C43 has MBUX though. It does have some form of voice command however. I'm very sensitive to temperature. It's been 115 degrees where I live recently and I have to have the climate set to lowest possible when I start up the car. But after about 15 minutes, it gets too cold for me and 78 seems to be the perfect temp...so I have to click 18 times to get it up.

It's also interesting that setting the temp to 78 degrees actually does NOT blow out 78 degrees air temp from the vent, it's something a lot lower. I'm guessing the temp is what I want the cabin temperature to be.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
I have not tried the voice command, but I don't think the 2020 C43 has MBUX though. It does have some form of voice command however. .
I would presume it's MBUX ...hopefully it can work for you with zero clicks'
Old 09-16-2020, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
I

It's also interesting that setting the temp to 78 degrees actually does NOT blow out 78 degrees air temp from the vent, it's something a lot lower. I'm guessing the temp is what I want the cabin temperature to be.
Yes....it should 'settle' when it achieves the desired temp.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2019 C63CS
I have not tried the voice command, but I don't think the 2020 C43 has MBUX though. It does have some form of voice command however. I'm very sensitive to temperature. It's been 115 degrees where I live recently and I have to have the climate set to lowest possible when I start up the car. But after about 15 minutes, it gets too cold for me and 78 seems to be the perfect temp...so I have to click 18 times to get it up.

That's I think where a lot of folks don't understand how an automatic climate control system works. The temperature is not the temperature of the air coming out of the vents. It's the target temperature for the cabin air, just like the thermostat in your house. Setting the temp to low does not cool the interior any faster. Low is simply an undetermined target temperature for the cabin. It just keeps cooling and cooling as much as it can, so it will get colder and colder until the AC can't cool it anymore. If you set the temperature to 78 from the beginning, then the AC is gonna try to cool down the cabin as fast as possible to 78 and then keep it there. To this day I don't understand why folks fiddle with the temperatures like this and my only explanation is that like you they incorrectly think the temp is what's gonna come out of the vent, which again, it is not. You are simply telling the system that you'd like the cabin ambient temp to be 78, and the system will do what it can to reach 78 and keep it there. That means it has to blow in colder air than 78 if it needs to cool down the interior and vary the airflow until there is a balance between incoming air and external heat sources so that the cabin temp stays stable at your selected temperature.
chriscole247 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:48 PM

C43
Originally Posted by superswiss
That's I think where a lot of folks don't understand how an automatic climate control system works. The temperature is not the temperature of the air coming out of the vents. It's the target temperature for the cabin air, just like the thermostat in your house. Setting the temp to low does not cool the interior any faster. Low is simply an undetermined target temperature for the cabin. It just keeps cooling and cooling as much as it can, so it will get colder and colder until the AC can't cool it anymore. If you set the temperature to 78 from the beginning, then the AC is gonna try to cool down the cabin as fast as possible to 78 and then keep it there. To this day I don't understand why folks fiddle with the temperatures like this and my only explanation is that like you they incorrectly think the temp is what's gonna come out of the vent, which again, it is not. You are simply telling the system that you'd like the cabin ambient temp to be 78, and the system will do what it can to reach 78 and keep it there. That means it has to blow in colder air than 78 if it needs to cool down the interior and vary the airflow until there is a balance between incoming air and external heat sources so that the cabin temp stays stable at your selected temperature.
Gotcha, that makes sense then. What happens if I force the fan and AC to be on at 78 degrees and the cabin hits 78 or 77 degrees? Will it somehow shut off the compressor? I don't use AUTO climate.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Gotcha, that makes sense then. What happens if I force the fan and AC to be on at 78 degrees and the cabin hits 78 or 77 degrees? Will it somehow shut off the compressor? I don't use AUTO climate.
Yep, it will start to bring in warmer air so the cabin temp doesn't drop below the set temperature. At some point if you get the fan speed just right, it'll probably bring in an exact 78, because you are letting enough air in to keep the temperature from rising. The vent temp might be a few degrees lower than 78, but around there. That's why there isn't really any point in trying to do this manually. You'll be constantly trying to adjust the fan speed. Just put it on Auto and it will essentially do it for you and reach an equilibrium and then continuously adjust as the outside temps rise and fall and the strength of the sun changes. There's a sensor around the windshield that measures the strength of the sun and compensates for the radiate heat. There's a lot that goes into the system and it's best to let it do what it does best. I essentially only change the temperature based on my subjective feel, or in other words based on how much heat I have stored in my body. I generally keep it at 70 during the summer and up it to 72 to 74 when the temps are cooler outside. Some people store more heat in their bodies, others loose heat quicker so they need a slightly higher or lower ambient temp to feel comfortable and it also depends on the season. If I just came back from a 50 mile ride on my bike, I may even lower the temp to somewhere in the 60s to cool down my body faster.

EDIT: If you are sensitive to temps, close the vents nearest to you, so the cooling is more indirect. I only have one of the center vents opened and it's aimed straight back so it's not blowing directly at me, and the one by the window I aim away and up so it creates an air cushion between me and the window but also doesn't blow directly at me. My wife keeps the vents on her side closed.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-16-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:02 PM

C43
Originally Posted by jzf
https://youtu.be/2clf2aJeokE?t=173

Starts around 2:53

Seems like you can change the temperature faster from hitting the menu button down and selecting temperature then adjust with the knob in the center but it might be more work.
When I click Menu in my car, a similar screen pops up but I don't see a way to control that screen. There are no temperature control or fans or anything on that screen for me. Am I missing something?
Old 09-17-2020, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
[QUOTE=decorily;8158683
.... but could you use MBUX to request a specific temp?[/QUOTE]

So have you tried this option?
Old 09-18-2020, 08:51 AM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Acura TL-SH, among others
Denver on Monday had a high of 97. The next day, the high was 34 with a low of 21. That's when you might need to go from one extreme to the next.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Howyalivin
Denver on Monday had a high of 97. The next day, the high was 34 with a low of 21. That's when you might need to go from one extreme to the next.
Ummm... no, because it's the next day. You start your car the next day and set the desired cabin temp. Not sure I understand.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by chriscole247
Ummm... no, because it's the next day. You start your car the next day and set the desired cabin temp. Not sure I understand.
I like this discussion. It's getting into so much detail and I'll contribute.
When you start the car the next day, the car remembers the previous setting, which still requires you to press the button many times to bring it to the next day extreme.
Howyalivin (09-23-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by mcschan86
I like this discussion. It's getting into so much detail and I'll contribute.
When you start the car the next day, the car remembers the previous setting, which still requires you to press the button many times to bring it to the next day extreme.
Honestly, what is there to adjust? If the temp is set to say 72F, then on the hot day with 97F outside it cools the interior down to 72F. On the next day it heats it to 72F. On both days the cabin is at 72F regardless of the temperature outside. I think folks still don't understand the point of an automatic climate control. You tell what temperature you like the cabin to be, and it either heats or cools it to that temperature. Why would you adjust the temp to any extreme? Again, the temperature you set is not the temperature of the air that's coming out of the vents. It's the target temperature for the cabin. Leave it at 72F or whatever and the cabin will be at that temperature regardless if it's 100+F outside or below freezing.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 PM

C43
So have you tried this option?
I did try the voice command and I am able to set it to lowest, highest, or any numerical temperature in between! Still more troublesome than just a lowest or highest setting, but this is still many times better than having to click 1 by 1. Also, it's actually pretty nice now that I can just tell it the specific temperature that I wanted.