Sponsored by:

Minimum miles or temp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:00 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
Minimum miles or temp?

Since covid, I started working from home full time and when I have to run a quick errand or two, I usually complete it within the same town.

Is there a minimum amount of miles I should drive at least once I take the car out or at least a certain temp before shutting it down for the day?
Old 10-06-2020, 10:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
Since covid, I started working from home full time and when I have to run a quick errand or two, I usually complete it within the same town.

Is there a minimum amount of miles I should drive at least once I take the car out or at least a certain temp before shutting it down for the day?
It's best to let the car reach operating temperature instead of shutting it down for the day before then. I'd personally drive it for another 5-10 minutes after that, at least, if you can.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:45 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by cjaredscott
It's best to let the car reach operating temperature instead of shutting it down for the day before then. I'd personally drive it for another 5-10 minutes after that, at least, if you can.
is there a reason for that? sounds like by running it longer to reach higher temperature you just create a higher temperature fluctuation and wear out the gaskets.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
Originally Posted by AMGiggity
is there a reason for that? sounds like by running it longer to reach higher temperature you just create a higher temperature fluctuation and wear out the gaskets.
I've always been told that by service advisors, and have read it in numerous places in the past. If I recall, it primarily tends to do with natural humidity in oil. I think the conclusion is that it can cause more wear on metal parts meant to be lubricated by the oil (as the car needs to reach operating temperature to remove the humidity, and it can build up over time and lubricate less effectively — might even lead to sludge). Also, logically speaking, certain parts may not get much use and wear out prematurely from not being used, your exhaust may not heat up enough to remove condensation, etc etc.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:33 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43

How long is that drive for you right now? Yes, temperature matters, but only if it's extreme. What's the temperature at where you are?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:12 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
It's just a car. Don't let internet myth bog you down. If you need to go across the street to pickup a bag of chips, go for it. Just remember to do earlier oil change if you think you haven't warmed up your car or droven certain milage. 6 month oil change and battery maintainer will solve that.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:34 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
Originally Posted by Ramsino
How long is that drive for you right now? Yes, temperature matters, but only if it's extreme. What's the temperature at where you are?
Im on the east coast so the temperature has been around 70s these days. My shorter errands would be like 2 - 3 local miles at most...therefore I just try to save them for a longer trip, if not I delay them till the next day or I just jump on the highway for like an extra 5 minutes just to get in the extra miles and warm up the car fully ..

Additionally, the other reason this concerns me is that my battery's status on MB connect is usually on "partly charged" if I dont take it out for like 30 minutes at least...
Old 10-07-2020, 11:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Im on the east coast so the temperature has been around 70s these days. My shorter errands would be like 2 - 3 local miles at most...therefore I just try to save them for a longer trip, if not I delay them till the next day or I just jump on the highway for like an extra 5 minutes just to get in the extra miles and warm up the car fully ..

Additionally, the other reason this concerns me is that my battery's status on MB connect is usually on "partly charged" if I dont take it out for like 30 minutes at least...
Cars nowadays pretty much should not have these issues. If you're driving 2-3 miles, it should be fine. The only issue is that it may drain your battery, but it's also a common issue from what I've heard from people with the facelifted C43. If your battery drains quickly and doesn't get to full charge after about 20-30 minutes of driving, I would take the in to get it checked out.

To prevent water from accumulating in your fuel tank, you can just go for a 20-30 minute drive once per week and that should be fine. It doesn't matter how short your daily drives are, as long as you recondition the car once a week or even once every 2 weeks, it should be fine. It is true that different engine components can wear quicker because oil did not heat up enough to lubricate everything, but again, going for a 20-30 minute drive every week should prevent this as well.