Differences between C43 Coupe and Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBC
Differences between C43 Coupe and Sedan

Hi, new member here.

This might seem like an odd question, but besides the difference in the amount of doors and the obvious styling, are there any other differences between the coupe and sedan C43?

I'm in the middle of test driving a coupe for a few days, but haven't had the opportunity to drive the sedan.
​​​
Old 01-12-2021, 12:31 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Acura TL-SH, among others
The only difference other than the obvious ones is that the coupe is heavier than the sedan by about 150 lbs. Because of that, it will be slightly slower, but imperceptible to most anyone.
Also, you lose about 2 cubic feet of space in the trunk on the coupe.

Last edited by Howyalivin; 01-12-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:51 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
another important aspect (to me at least) is that the ceiling is lower on the coupe, thus i feel more claustrophobic.

additionally, if you were going to lease - their should be a good difference in payments.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Coupe
I had an older C class sedan previously and I really liked the back doors to keep my bags etc stuff in. It seemed more tedious to open the trunk every time for that.

Now with my C43 Coupe, it was really annoying at first that you can only open the trunk either with your foot swipe (but you have to have your key with you, it doesn't open if the key is in the car for example), from the button inside on the driver's door or the button on the key fob.
But I think I've gotten used to it now over the couple of months and opening it with my foot is quite easy now.
On that topic, don't know if it's an issue in Sedan or not, but I'm not a fan of the bag holder solution in the trunk. I mostly buy paper bags and if they sit upright, their handles are too high so they won't sit correctly on the handle, you kind of have to put the bags more to the sides or at an angle so they'd sit firmly tight on the handle.

I was planning on buying a C43 sedan for almost 2 years until basically 1 month before I actually bought it, I found a nice Coupe and started considering them as well. It does look good (and while some people say "better", i might agree on the body shape but I like the sedan's tail lights more) but I really wanted the extra doors. And actually, I could live without the extra doors if I could comfortably fit people in the back seat through the front doors but that's where you lose out on the Coupe.

So main point is, if you need to drive around other people, especially older people maybe who have problems climbing in and out, consider a sedan. I've had to sit in the rear of my Coupe myself and while it's tolerable (although I'm 184cm and i had to twist my head to fit there) you definitely don't want to sit there on longer drives.

And of course looking out from the car is more difficult. The front window is smaller but it's especially difficult if you want to merge to another road or reverse at an angle, the rear side windows are very small, it's annoying. But those situations don't come up often. You sit lower and you see less and I'm used to it now, but it does feel more like a sports car i'd say.

Sedan is still more practical, but overall the coupe looks and feels cooler and sportier.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43 coupe
I would say that the most important difference (beyond the obvious) is that the coupe is built in Germany, while the sedan is built in Alabama (at least for the US market). Seems to me, at least by anecdotal evidence, the German-built coupes have a lot less QC and other problems like rattles, squeaks, poor fitment, etc. Additionally, if you ever thought you wanted a new coupe, you may be running out of time to have one (quite a shame, IMHO).
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebelwon:
mcschan86 (01-13-2021), Rockyrainier (01-18-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 09:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by vsamma
I had an older C class sedan previously and I really liked the back doors to keep my bags etc stuff in. It seemed more tedious to open the trunk every time for that.

Now with my C43 Coupe, it was really annoying at first that you can only open the trunk either with your foot swipe (but you have to have your key with you, it doesn't open if the key is in the car for example), from the button inside on the driver's door or the button on the key fob.
But I think I've gotten used to it now over the couple of months and opening it with my foot is quite easy now.
On that topic, don't know if it's an issue in Sedan or not, but I'm not a fan of the bag holder solution in the trunk. I mostly buy paper bags and if they sit upright, their handles are too high so they won't sit correctly on the handle, you kind of have to put the bags more to the sides or at an angle so they'd sit firmly tight on the handle.

I was planning on buying a C43 sedan for almost 2 years until basically 1 month before I actually bought it, I found a nice Coupe and started considering them as well. It does look good (and while some people say "better", i might agree on the body shape but I like the sedan's tail lights more) but I really wanted the extra doors. And actually, I could live without the extra doors if I could comfortably fit people in the back seat through the front doors but that's where you lose out on the Coupe.

So main point is, if you need to drive around other people, especially older people maybe who have problems climbing in and out, consider a sedan. I've had to sit in the rear of my Coupe myself and while it's tolerable (although I'm 184cm and i had to twist my head to fit there) you definitely don't want to sit there on longer drives.

And of course looking out from the car is more difficult. The front window is smaller but it's especially difficult if you want to merge to another road or reverse at an angle, the rear side windows are very small, it's annoying. But those situations don't come up often. You sit lower and you see less and I'm used to it now, but it does feel more like a sports car i'd say.

Sedan is still more practical, but overall the coupe looks and feels cooler and sportier.
Hmmm... Did you try pushing on the star where the backup camera pops up to open the trunk instead?
Old 01-15-2021, 03:10 AM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
I did try it but it didn't seem to move or act as any button or handle so I didn't try thorougly and didn't use any force.

I might try that, but I also searched this forum on this topic and I found that there is no outside button or handle to open it.

Are you suggesting that because you have a coupe and it works like that or you are just guessing ? just wondering.. if i'm stupid or you're just helpfully suggesting ideas :P
Old 01-15-2021, 03:21 AM

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts
2017 C43
I did try it but it didn't seem to move or act as any button or handle so I didn't try thorougly and didn't use any force.

I might try that, but I also searched this forum on this topic and I found that there is no outside button or handle to open it.

Are you suggesting that because you have a coupe and it works like that or you are just guessing ? just wondering.. if i'm stupid or you're just helpfully suggesting ideas :P
Hahaha! I don’t think he meant it that way... some of the current models like the CLS has the star as the pop-up button. My daughter has the c class coupe, and the star emblem is just to hide the back-up camera.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:28 AM

2017 C43 AMG Coupe
Haha yeah well I thought he probably has a sedan and was just giving a guessing friendly suggestion, not that it was meant badly or anything.

But also another problem with the Coupe, that's my most recent concern:
If you live in a place with a lot of snow (or a bad terrain in general), you're gonna have some trouble because the coupe is very low. Previously I had a 2008 C320 and it felt like a small city SUV, I was never stuck in any snow and I wasn't afraid of any thick snow or small snow walls, i just ploughed right through.

Now I have had to avoid those ice/snow ***** fallen on road from other car wheel arches and when a snow plow cleared the road in front of my house, I had to shovel away the small snow wall it made next to my C43 because I couldn't drive over it
Old 01-15-2021, 03:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Nah I am the stupid one... I stand corrected. I thought the C coupé you can also push the star to pop up the trunk.
I have a sedan C43 actually but my friend has an E coupé and it functions that way.
I am sorry I didn't know MB didn't include that feature on the C coupé
Old 01-15-2021, 03:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Haha yeah well I thought he probably has a sedan and was just giving a guessing friendly suggestion, not that it was meant badly or anything.

But also another problem with the Coupe, that's my most recent concern:
If you live in a place with a lot of snow (or a bad terrain in general), you're gonna have some trouble because the coupe is very low. Previously I had a 2008 C320 and it felt like a small city SUV, I was never stuck in any snow and I wasn't afraid of any thick snow or small snow walls, i just ploughed right through.

Now I have had to avoid those ice/snow ***** fallen on road from other car wheel arches and when a snow plow cleared the road in front of my house, I had to shovel away the small snow wall it made next to my C43 because I couldn't drive over it
Ya sorry about that. I stand corrected.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 C43 Sedan
A couple more differences that come to mind:
  • Coupe has a wider stance, although I’m not sure that any handling improvement from this would make up for the extra weight.
  • Sedan lets you choose between a standard sunroof and a panoramic one that covers the back seats as well. The coupe’s sunroof has the panoramic design but only covers the front seats.
  • Some minor option differences. For example if you want the black multispokes on the coupe you can only get them as part of a $3500 package. On the sedan they’re just a standalone box you can check.
  • Different pricing. I get fleet pricing from my employer, and the discount on a sedan was an extra 2% over a coupe. Combined with the already lower MSRP on the sedan, it made my choice easy.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by k_dubious
A couple more differences that come to mind:
  • Coupe has a wider stance, although I’m not sure that any handling improvement from this would make up for the extra weight.
false. they are the same.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe (2017)
Hey there, I test drove a 2017 C43 Sedan and Coupe in the last week (purchased the coupe ) and this is what I noticed:

- Trunk on the coupe is actually deeper, but not as wide as the sedan.
- The coupe door windows do not have the trim built onto them (I could be wrong) but it's essentially just the pane of glass when you open the door.
- I felt as though I was sitting much lower in the coupe (possibly because of higher side walls)
- I also noticed less creaks/rattle in the coupe on my test drive (possibly because of the car being made in Germany as someone suggested?)
- Rear visibility in the coupe is quite small, but not worse than any other coupes I'd say

Last edited by Muskokamarc; 01-17-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:24 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
There's really no notable differences between the 2 other than pure aesthetics and styling differences. Performance wise, the coupe will be a little bit slower with all things being the same. When people decide on whether they want the sedan or the coupe, it should be mainly for styling first.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:19 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
not sure about the c43's, but i do know for the standard c300 sedan and coupes - the suspension feels more sportier/stiffer on the coupes.