C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my exhaust broken ('20 C43 sedan w/ PE)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Is my exhaust broken ('20 C43 sedan w/ PE)

Since taking delivery of the car last February, I engage the PE immediately after startup.

I've only *not* engaged it a few times. Early on, I noticed that sometimes, the exhaust was noticeably louder on startup with the PE off. Same when subsequently driving away. When I then activated the PE, things would get quiet. Then, cycling to OFF and then ON would seem to restore normality.

Today, after running a quick errand, I set off with the PE off. The exhaust was *incredibly* loud. And it was droning terribly, even at slow speeds. It was literally vibrating the cabin. Louder than my old W204 C63 but with a fart-can tone.

I activated the PE, and things got dead silent. I then switched the PE off, and the sound was the same - C300 whisper quiet. When I activated the PE again, there was no change. Also whisper quiet.

On a related note, ever since taking delivery, I've noticed that the car is noticeably slower than my previous '18 C43. I could routinely hit max hp/torque figures with that car. On my '20, I can easily hit max torque values, but HP always tops out at 233 hp. I can occasionally get it to maybe crack 300. And it feels slow. 1st gear pulls in manual feel like the car is revving, but not pulling hard to redline.

I'm starting to wonder if the issues are somehow related. Car is going in for service the first week of April. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,843 Likes on 2,421 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I am not sure if this is related:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-behavior.html
Hopefully the problem is just a glitch in the system and that multiple power cycles will fix it, perhaps your car is just complaining that you aren't driving it enough and feels lonely in the garage for too long...
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I am not sure if this is related:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-behavior.html
Hopefully the problem is just a glitch in the system and that multiple power cycles will fix it, perhaps your car is just complaining that you aren't driving it enough and feels lonely in the garage for too long...
Yes, absolutely related. Thank you for posting as additional context.

My PE was behaving exactly as described in that thread, and I even replied to the thread when I first noticed the issue.

Today’s development was a new one, where the exhaust was so loud with PE off that the car sounded broken. Switching it on made it quiet, and subsequent changes between on/off did nothing to change it.

Hopefully the dealer visit reveals the issue, because I’ll actually update this thread.

While it’s in there, going to get an oil change, and going to have them disable the 4MATIC to test my transfer case theory.

Now this car has 1,500 miles or so, that noise at 55 mph is the clearest and most distinct I’ve ever heard it.

Plus, it still doesn’t feel nearly as quick as it should. I’ve confirmed that now I’m through with the break-in.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43
yeah mine too, every once in a while the car would just start with EXHAUST ON while the exhaust button OFF. ON and OFF it a cycle it will just come back to normal.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by gg_monogram
yeah mine too, every once in a while the car would just start with EXHAUST ON while the exhaust button OFF. ON and OFF it a cycle it will just come back to normal.
Interesting. This was like a different volume/tone from PE on. It was 2-3 times louder than normal PE with drone levels like I wasn’t running a muffler.

Did you experience this as well? Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:33 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
You sure it wasn't with emotion start with left paddle hold start?
Old 02-20-2021, 08:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by zibby43
Yes, absolutely related. Thank you for posting as additional context.

My PE was behaving exactly as described in that thread, and I even replied to the thread when I first noticed the issue.

Today’s development was a new one, where the exhaust was so loud with PE off that the car sounded broken. Switching it on made it quiet, and subsequent changes between on/off did nothing to change it.

Hopefully the dealer visit reveals the issue, because I’ll actually update this thread.

While it’s in there, going to get an oil change, and going to have them disable the 4MATIC to test my transfer case theory.

Now this car has 1,500 miles or so, that noise at 55 mph is the clearest and most distinct I’ve ever heard it.

Plus, it still doesn’t feel nearly as quick as it should. I’ve confirmed that now I’m through with the break-in.
That doesn't feel nearly as quick as it should is concerning still, I was hoping your battery replacement rectified the issue. Unfortunately it seems like there is still some systems not working as it should, could it be a soft limp mode (although I think you mentioned you could reach limiter no problem) ? Did you test drive another pfl to see how much difference if any is it to your vehicle?
As for the noise, sounds like MB amplified the whining on the facelift : (
Old 02-20-2021, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by stockbmw
You sure it wasn't with emotion start with left paddle hold start?
Positive. It wasn’t just startup noise. The sound remained while I drove off and around town. It stayed for 5 minutes until I activated the PE.

Emotion start is fun though. Thanks for the reply man.

That doesn't feel nearly as quick as it should is concerning still, I was hoping your battery replacement rectified the issue. Unfortunately it seems like there is still some systems not working as it should, could it be a soft limp mode (although I think you mentioned you could reach limiter no problem) ? Did you test drive another pfl to see how much difference if any is it to your vehicle?
As for the noise, sounds like MB amplified the whining on the facelift : (
Wonder if this has anything to do with what I’m dealing with . . .

. . . an entire nest of insulation built by mice. Also mouse droppings, claw marks, bite marks, mouse ****, chewed wiring looms, etc.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43
holy moly i thought it was a wig!
Old 02-22-2021, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by gg_monogram
holy moly i thought it was a wig!

I wish. I ID’d the suspect. We had a John Wick-like standoff but he won the first round.

Leaving him some presents tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Positive. It wasn’t just startup noise. The sound remained while I drove off and around town. It stayed for 5 minutes until I activated the PE.

Emotion start is fun though. Thanks for the reply man.

Wonder if this has anything to do with what I’m dealing with . . .

. . . an entire nest of insulation built by mice. Also mouse droppings, claw marks, bite marks, mouse ****, chewed wiring looms, etc.

I see... Why would they pick the ECU, are they parasites or something (mind control)?
Old 02-22-2021, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I see... Why would they pick the ECU, are they parasites or something (mind control)?
It looks the nest was primarily centered on the heat sink (for warmth).

Regardless, my C43 ownership experience has been a weird one lol. Never a dull moment.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

It looks the nest was primarily centered on the heat sink (for warmth).

Regardless, my C43 ownership experience has been a weird one lol. Never a dull moment.
I see I thought that was the ECU though, I never tuned my car so I might be wrong.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I see I thought that was the ECU though, I never tuned my car so I might be wrong.
The ECU is off to the left of the engine cover under some plastic shielding. The metal you see there (covered in insulation), is part of the engine's heat sink. As an update, my professional detailing contacts completely cleaned, polished, and dressed the engine bay. Looks better than brand new now. No other damage found.

I've never had an engine bay detail before, and I noticed that there was a mild burning smell coming through the air conditioning on the drive home. Guessing it was just some of the excess dressing dripping and getting burned off.

No weird behavior from the exhaust today, either. Furthermore, the whining noise at 55 mph from what I suspect to be the transfer case, was much less prominent in ambient temperatures that were about 30+ F warmer than when I first noticed it a few weeks ago.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

I see. Glad it is all sorted for you. Hopefully the following years with your car is pure enjoyment. I guess you (or at least me) learn something new everyday, that rodents make those types of nests.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
The ECU is off to the left of the engine cover under some plastic shielding. The metal you see there (covered in insulation), is part of the engine's heat sink.
That isn’t the engine’s heat sink, that IS the ecu.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I see. Glad it is all sorted for you. Hopefully the following years with your car is pure enjoyment. I guess you (or at least me) learn something new everyday, that rodents make those types of nests.
2 years left to enjoy now lol. Thank you. Always learning new things. I had seen threads about rodents chewing up stuff and nesting in engine bays, but it never concerned me. Now that I have 600+ acres behind me, it concerns me.

I see what you’re referring to now re: the ECU. Thanks to TModelle.

Originally Posted by TModelle
That isn’t the engine’s heat sink, that IS the ecu.
I realize what you’re both referring to now. I didn’t know the heat dissipation fins were integrated with the ECU as an all-in-one piece after you pulled it from the grommets and disconnected the 2 rear clips.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

2 years left to enjoy now lol. Thank you. Always learning new things. I had seen threads about rodents chewing up stuff and nesting in engine bays, but it never concerned me. Now that I have 600+ acres behind me, it concerns me.

I see what you’re referring to now re: the ECU. Thanks to TModelle.

I realize what you’re both referring to now. I didn’t know the heat dissipation fins were integrated with the ECU as an all-in-one piece after you pulled it from the grommets and disconnected the 2 rear clips.
I see... so the reason of the odd behaviour of your vehicle was because rodents were mind controlling your vehicle. 2 years is not bad, 2 years of pure enjoyment. Time to have fun!
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (02-26-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I see... so the reason of the odd behaviour of your vehicle was because rodents were mind controlling your vehicle. 2 years is not bad, 2 years of pure enjoyment. Time to have fun!
Haha! I like that. All the crazy stuff that happened on my ‘18 made me hyper-sensitive to issues. This ‘20 has been good. Appreciate the perspective.

An engine bay detail took care of all the rodent carnage. And I caught the offender last night.

BTW, what do you think of the W206?

The interior looks very modern. Materials look great, too.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Haha! I like that. All the crazy stuff that happened on my ‘18 made me hyper-sensitive to issues. This ‘20 has been good. Appreciate the perspective.

An engine bay detail took care of all the rodent carnage. And I caught the offender last night.

BTW, what do you think of the W206?

The interior looks very modern. Materials look great, too.
Good question! I have mixed feelings with the W206 so far. All of them are going 4 cylinders so there goes the sound but you know, regulations, oh well. I heard it is heavier too despite being a 4 cylinder I guess it is because of the electrical motor and stuff. Exterior wise it is a decent looking car it really does look like the W223 now front and rear and I guess that is what they are trying to achieve but then all cars of MB's lineup looks too similar.Interior is inspired by the W223 for sure, I do like the middle part that flows down instead of W223 just drops down if you know what I mean. However, I like how the W223 flows on the driver side and passenger side. Where the dash meets the window switches. The screens will be a pain to keep clean though, hope they put a layer of oleophobic coating on it. For those that like tech and everything integrated inside will love this car. For others that prefer physical buttons, they may look elsewhere. What about you? Are you considering it as a car on your list?
Old 02-28-2021, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
@W205C43PFL I think clever engineering can help with the sound problem. One thing is for sure, if they can figure out how to use the hybrid drivetrain correctly, these cars could be absolute torque monsters (which I think is hugely important for a fun daily driver). I almost ended up with an E90 M3 instead of my C63, but the thing that steered me toward the 63 was the torque/power band. The M3 was awesome when winding it out on the highway, but the C63 was fun from stoplight-to-stoplight *and* on the highway.

Great point about keeping all that trim work clean. It's going to be tough. Hope they utilize the coating, like you said. I really like the shape of the seats. They remind me of Tesla's seats, if you've ever experienced them. I hope they're as comfortable, because I don't think there's a better seat on the market in terms of comfort and durability.

I'm waiting to see the AMG variants, but none of what I have seen thus far has been a deal-breaker from an exterior/interior visual standpoint. BMW has kind of lost its way recently, and while I respect Audi, the driving experience always feels so sterile/clinical. Like the car has no soul.

I'm really tempted to take a look at Porsche. If my soon-to-be wife replaces her GLC with something bigger, I may get my way.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

@W205C43PFL I think clever engineering can help with the sound problem. One thing is for sure, if they can figure out how to use the hybrid drivetrain correctly, these cars could be absolute torque monsters (which I think is hugely important for a fun daily driver). I almost ended up with an E90 M3 instead of my C63, but the thing that steered me toward the 63 was the torque/power band. The M3 was awesome when winding it out on the highway, but the C63 was fun from stoplight-to-stoplight *and* on the highway.

Great point about keeping all that trim work clean. It's going to be tough. Hope they utilize the coating, like you said. I really like the shape of the seats. They remind me of Tesla's seats, if you've ever experienced them. I hope they're as comfortable, because I don't think there's a better seat on the market in terms of comfort and durability.

I'm waiting to see the AMG variants, but none of what I have seen thus far has been a deal-breaker from an exterior/interior visual standpoint. BMW has kind of lost its way recently, and while I respect Audi, the driving experience always feels so sterile/clinical. Like the car has no soul.

I'm really tempted to take a look at Porsche. If my soon-to-be wife replaces her GLC with something bigger, I may get my way.
True but then artificial sound is just not the real thing xD, granted we do have pump in sound on our C43s so there's that. Unless what you mean by clever engineering as in they make authentic sound. However, I am not hopeful because of the existence of sound regulation in Europe.

True that we should wait to see the AMG variants, I have a feeling you should be looking at the next C63e and C63s since they are 4MATIC+ anyways, which is the whole reason why you got a C43, because of 4MATIC. Never driven a Tesla before so can't comment, I am surprised their seats are more comfortable than MB's since MB is known for comfort, you made me want to try one lol. The closest place that I can see Tesla vehicles would be Yorkdale Mall.

Given how MB took inspiration of the centre screen from Tesla, I am not surprised they did as well for the seats. After all, MB did work with Tesla on the model 3, for example, the gear selector, signal stalk and window switches: MB supplied them, and probably some other parts too.

Agree with the Audi comment. There is always a saying that Bimmer is about sportiness and MB is about comfort while Audi is a balance of both. It seems like Bimmer focus a lot on comfort lately. While Audi is indeed a little too soft.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
@W205C43PFL Yes I meant genuine sound, produced mechanically (and not electronically). Yes, the 4MATIC will definitely bring the C63 back in play.

You're right about Merc having very good seats across the board. The S-Class seats are phenomenal (probably the gold standard in the industry in terms of both comfort and functionality). The early Tesla seats were pretty poor, but in the recent models? Right up there with the S. Very supportive but also very supple, and they don't deform/wrinkle easily.

Agree on that summary of where the 3 big German brands are currently. When I drove the W205 C63, the thing that struck me was that, despite the car's weight, the steering and handling were beyond what the F8X M3 could achieve. The current gen C63 beat the non-competition M3 in Car and Driver's roadholding test. And I wasn't surprised.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

@W205C43PFL Yes I meant genuine sound, produced mechanically (and not electronically). Yes, the 4MATIC will definitely bring the C63 back in play.

You're right about Merc having very good seats across the board. The S-Class seats are phenomenal (probably the gold standard in the industry in terms of both comfort and functionality). The early Tesla seats were pretty poor, but in the recent models? Right up there with the S. Very supportive but also very supple, and they don't deform/wrinkle easily.

Agree on that summary of where the 3 big German brands are currently. When I drove the W205 C63, the thing that struck me was that, despite the car's weight, the steering and handling were beyond what the F8X M3 could achieve. The current gen C63 beat the non-competition M3 in Car and Driver's roadholding test. And I wasn't surprised.
Was there a clear difference between the 63 and the S model?
Old 03-01-2021, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Was there a clear difference between the 63 and the S model?
Not in terms of handling (on the street). I believe the non-S model has a mechanical diff, whereas the S has an e-diff + dynamic engine mounts (like the AMG GT). E-diff may come in handy on a track. I've driven a GT S at COTA and the grip was mega.

Both the non-S and S C63 variants were at 1.02+ g on the roadholding course. If I would've gone for another 63, I would've done the non-S model.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is my exhaust broken ('20 C43 sedan w/ PE)