C43 2020 or CLA45s 2020

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A5 & C43
Question C43 2020 or CLA45s 2020

Hi AMG lovers,

I am trying to take the best decision in terms of my first ever AMG. I want to get into the AMG world by getting either a C43 Coupe 2020 or CLA45s 2020.

At the moment I would prefer to get the C43 because of the following:
- More Comfy
- Bigger engine (will last longer, and sounds waaaaay better)
- Even though the interior of the C class came on the market in 2015, the facelift got a really nice upgrade, which is really nice and I like it. So I can say that it stands up to the new CLA45.
- In my opinion the C43 Coupe looks better than the CLA45s
- The sound is incomparable to the CLA45s.

I am really trying to find more differences between the two so I can take a clearer decision because at the moment the differences are not that big and I am kind of unsure. That's why I came to this AMG lovers forum, where I am sure I can find a good and strong input which will help me into making a smart decision.

I am from Switzerland, and the price for a C43 is around 70'000 Swiss Francs (approx.. 76'000 USD) and for a CLA45s around 80'000 (approx.. 86'000 USD) Swiss Francs. So the car that is losing (in my opinion) at the moment is also more expensive.

So, please help me decide on which AMG should I buy first, with a few recommendations/ideas about the comparison between the C43 and CLA45s, and why should I choose one over the other.

Thank you for your help and I hope you're having a great day.

P.S: DREAMS COME TRUE!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by cata803
Hi AMG lovers,

I am trying to take the best decision in terms of my first ever AMG. I want to get into the AMG world by getting either a C43 Coupe 2020 or CLA45s 2020.

At the moment I would prefer to get the C43 because of the following:
- More Comfy
- Bigger engine (will last longer, and sounds waaaaay better)
- Even though the interior of the C class came on the market in 2015, the facelift got a really nice upgrade, which is really nice and I like it. So I can say that it stands up to the new CLA45.
- In my opinion the C43 Coupe looks better than the CLA45s
- The sound is incomparable to the CLA45s.

I am really trying to find more differences between the two so I can take a clearer decision because at the moment the differences are not that big and I am kind of unsure. That's why I came to this AMG lovers forum, where I am sure I can find a good and strong input which will help me into making a smart decision.

I am from Switzerland, and the price for a C43 is around 70'000 Swiss Francs (approx.. 76'000 USD) and for a CLA45s around 80'000 (approx.. 86'000 USD) Swiss Francs. So the car that is losing (in my opinion) at the moment is also more expensive.

So, please help me decide on which AMG should I buy first, with a few recommendations/ideas about the comparison between the C43 and CLA45s, and why should I choose one over the other.

Thank you for your help and I hope you're having a great day.

P.S: DREAMS COME TRUE!
Forget the C43, it’s an out-going model, go for the CLA45S especially if you can get the Shooting Brake version. Most readers here are from USA and they have not tried or seen the CLA45S because they are not getting this model there. I’ve driven both and prefer the CLA45S any day, and in shooting brake guise is virtually the same size as the C43 Wagon. Better handling, better power, better tech. No quirky engine and transmission behaviour. It’s an easy decision, really.
The following 2 users liked this post by TModelle:
AMGiggity (05-01-2021), cata803 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
All good choices, neither will let you down.
The C43 205 gen is already at the end of its life and the 206 is already announced, next C43 (C53 or C45 depending on what MB likes to call it will be 4 cylinder)
The CLA 45s is basically a taste of this future MB is heading with the M139.
Since you are aware of the sound differences, all you are looking at right now is styling preferences, weight differences.
The C43 has a 9 speed TCT while the 45s has a 8 speed DCT. C43 has the old full time 4MATIC and 45s has the 4MATIC+ which allows you to drift.
Tell me the things you care most about and ill try to explain some more differences based on your preferences. (You told me what you like about the C43 but you didn't explain what features you like on the 45s or what features in general you need)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:19 AM

A5 & C43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
All good choices, neither will let you down.
The C43 205 gen is already at the end of its life and the 206 is already announced, next C43 (C53 or C45 depending on what MB likes to call it will be 4 cylinder)
The CLA 45s is basically a taste of this future MB is heading with the M139.
Since you are aware of the sound differences, all you are looking at right now is styling preferences, weight differences.
The C43 has a 9 speed TCT while the 45s has a 8 speed DCT. C43 has the old full time 4MATIC and 45s has the 4MATIC+ which allows you to drift.
Tell me the things you care most about and ill try to explain some more differences based on your preferences. (You told me what you like about the C43 but you didn't explain what features you like on the 45s or what features in general you need)
Well, that's a very strong point.
Why I would prefer a C43: sound and the more luxurious interior.
Why I would prefer the CLA45s: 4Matic+ and for the new & high-tech interior (even though it looks a bit cheaper than the facelifted C43 interior).

Both cars have nice tech, good overall performance, but I would say that the thing that I care about most at this point is the long-term use of the car. I would like to keep the car for a couple of years and I know that this 421 HP 4-cylinder is not the most feasible after 100,000kms+ (Taking into account my sporty way of driving the cars to their limits); I usually drive around 30,000kms a year with the car. So maybe you would be able to explain me which one would be better for the long-term use.
The sound is also important for me but that can be fixed easily with a catless pipe or some other minor adjustments. No issues with this.
I also read about the issues you're mentioning about the C43, that being the jerky engine and uncomfy transmission at times. Maybe you could also explain why this new 8 speed DCT is better than the 9 speed TCT.
Also, it's important to mention that I am 23 yo, and not looking for specific features like having a lot of space or other things that would be required for a family car. It's going to be my daily and also my fun car.
Thanks!

Last edited by cata803; 04-27-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Gruezi/Bonjour/Buongiorno and welcome to MBWorld. Perhaps taking a step back and getting some perspective might help. With where these cars are positioned within their respective segments you are kinda comparing apples to bananas. The CLA45S is to the CLA what the C63S is to the C and the C43 is to the C what the CLA35 is to the CLA. That's complete with the 45 engine being hand built by AMG in Affalterbach if that matters vs the 43 and 35 using AMG tuned Mercedes engines built by Mercedes and not AMG. Now there will be plenty of folks telling you that if it doesn't have a V8 it's not a true AMG, so take that for what it is, but the M139 makes a name for itself by being the most powerful production 4-cyl engine in the world. Nobody will be able to give you any information on long term reliability, though, as it is a brand new engine for the current generation A and CLA and as you may know it will power other future electrified AMGs such as the new C63 for better or worse.

So, the 45S is more hardcore AMG than the 43. The transmission being a DCT will give you a much more connected driving feel vs the torque converter TCT in the 43, just like the MCT in the 63 gives a more connected driving feel due to using a clutch instead of a torque converter. Then there is the rest of the tuning such as Race mode etc. The 45 has things like AMG DYNAMICS and its nifty rear differential that will give you a more hardcore driving dynamics than you get in the 43. Here's some info on AMG DYNAMICS https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...l?oid=42956027. Don't get distracted by the fact that it talks about the AMG GT. The system is present in other newer AMGs. I have it in my 2019 C63S.

Now, being originally from Switzerland myself and still having family there I have to ask where are you planning on taking it to the limit w/o landing in jail or racking up nasty speeding tickets and huge fines as you well know. Are you planning on going to the Nurburgring frequently? I drove my C63S in Switzerland. I took delivery of it in Sindelfingen and spent two months traveling in Europe, including visiting my family in Switzerland. The car was fun on the mountain passes, but outside of that it was the most boring driving. Nothing more frustrating than having a powerful car, but can only drive 120 kph on the Autobahn and have to watch out for speed cameras constantly. I mostly drove with DISTRONIC engaged to not risk a nasty speeding ticket. The C is also relatively big and was a pain to park in parking garages around Switzerland. I have to say, even though we have lower speed limits here in the USA, it's much more fun driving the car, because we don't have speed cameras and here in California I have plenty of deserted canyon roads with little to no law enforcement to have fun with the car and the roads etc. are wider so it doesn't feel as cramped driving around. So perhaps you can give more insight into what you are planning on doing with the car.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-27-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Well, that's a very strong point.
Why I would prefer a C43: sound and the more luxurious interior.
Why I would prefer the CLA45s: 4Matic+ and for the new & high-tech interior (even though it looks a bit cheaper than the facelifted C43 interior).

Both cars have nice tech, good overall performance, but I would say that the thing that I care about most at this point is the long-term use of the car. I would like to keep the car for a couple of years and I know that this 421 HP 4-cylinder is not the most feasible after 100,000kms+ (Taking into account my sporty way of driving the cars to their limits); I usually drive around 30,000kms a year with the car. So maybe you would be able to explain me which one would be better for the long-term use.
The sound is also important for me but that can be fixed easily with a catless pipe or some other minor adjustments. No issues with this.
I also read about the issues you're mentioning about the C43, that being the jerky engine and uncomfy transmission at times. Maybe you could also explain why this new 8 speed DCT is better than the 9 speed TCT.
Also, it's important to mention that I am 23 yo, and not looking for specific features like having a lot of space or other things that would be required for a family car. It's going to be my daily and also my fun car.
Thanks!
Superswiss explained the transmission part brilliantly. Longevity wise for the 45s since as Superwiss mentioned, it is a relatively new car, there might still be some glitches and bugs to workout throughout the model years, the C43 being at the end of the life cycle have the majority if not all the problems sorted out. Being the most powerful production 4-cylinder in the 45s, there is less room to tune although it is still possible for those who want. For example, https://www.motor1.com/news/391714/m...renntech-tune/, while-as the C43 there are a lot of tuning potential. Since you care about longevity however, tuning might not be what you will consider which is fine as my 2017 C43 is still stock as well.

It was a great decision to post your thread in the C43 forum to get a perspective from C43 owners but I also recommend you posting your question in https://mbworld.org/forums/cla-45-amg-c118-263/ to get the perspective of CLA 45 owners perhaps they can share their experience with their cars.

You talked about the C43 having an uncomfortable transmission yes that is true, I even say that is the worse part of this whole car, the transmission tuning. The transmission itself is solid, well-built but the tuning is just... interesting at best. The good thing is, the facelift (so MY19+) has a smoother tuned transmission, I test drove one and it is definitely better than my pfl. It is smoother when downshifting but there are still rooms for improvement.

The CLA 45s with the MBUX (which I believe is the best in the business) is a huge improvement over the the COMAND NG5.5 in the facelift C43.

To focus solely on your question on long-term use, the 205 C43 will be more reliable than the C118 CLA45s as it went through the model years to refine, the 3.0 V6 M276 DELA 30 also doesn't need to work as hard as the M139. So from pure longevity stand-point the C43 is the way to go, it is no V8 but it is still a V6 which is getting rarer and rarer.

I would had recommended waiting to see what MB will do with the 4 cylinder C43 successor in the 206 but since you care about reliability and long-term use, it wouldn't be the car you will consider as there is a lot of hybrid tech and being first model year. The 206 will also not get a coupe version.

Feel free to ask more questions, we are all happy to answer them.

P.S: CONGRATS to your dream coming true!

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 04-27-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:28 PM

A5 & C43
Superswiss and W205C43PFL, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and knowledge on the two models. I appreciate it a lot and it really helps me for making a better decision. Pure gold.

As suggested by W205, I will also post this on the CLA45 section, to get the owner point of view too. I guess I posted it here, in the C43/C63 section, just to try and convince myself that I was going to make the right decision.
It seems like the two are not really comparable as superswiss said. I agree with that, but when comparing them based on their price range and overall performance, I would say that they are kind of the same, even though in terms of technical and tech differences, it really is like comparing apples to bananas.

I also agree with you W205, that the CLA45s comes with brand new technologies and technical improvements, so now I don't even see why I asked about the long-term reliability of the new M139 CLA45 engine.

At this point I am not even sure what I want, I also considered an RS3 Limousine which has the brilliant 5-cyl engine with an amazing sound, but that interior ... cmon .... At the moment I also own an Audi, don't get me wrong, but that RS3 interior, is really garbage(ignoring the nice virtual cockpit, which is the only plus in the interior). Looks like a car in the 2000's really.

So, coming back to my point, I will consider both your information when making a decision for my next car. CLA45s sounds definitely more promising and enjoyable, but as W205 said, with an unknown reliability for now. I am only making this long-term reliability a priority because as a 23 yo, I am doing a financial effort (not really, but 1k/month just for the lease is still something) to get this car, so that's why I am trying to define as many pluses and minuses as possible for both cars.

I am not sure if I have any other questions since you both really have some strong points. But if I will have any other questions, I will ask, thanks for the support.

About your point, Superswiss, about driving around Switzerland, you are totally right, Switzerland is not the best country where you can push your car to the limit. But as you said, the mountain roads (especially during the spring and summer) are just the right thing for this kind of AMG's. I am also lucky to live in the Basel area, so German autobahn is just 10km away from me, which means that I will definitely take regular trips to Germany to enjoy the autobahn. Also my plan is to go at least once a year to the track with the car, and feel like a professional driver by really enjoying the car at its limits

If you think there is any other information which could be helpful into making a decision, don't hesitate to reply to this threat, I appreciate it a lot.

Thank you again.

Last edited by cata803; 04-27-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Superswiss and W205C43PFL, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and knowledge on the two models. I appreciate it a lot and it really helps me for making a better decision. Pure gold.

As suggested by W205, I will also post this on the CLA45 section, to get the owner point of view too. I guess I posted it here, in the C43/C63 section, just to try and convince myself that I was going to make the right decision.
It seems like the two are not really comparable as superswiss said. I agree with that, but when comparing them based on their price range and overall performance, I would say that they are kind of the same, even though in terms of technical and tech differences, it really is like comparing apples to bananas.

I also agree with you W205, that the CLA45s comes with brand new technologies and technical improvements, so now I don't even see why I asked about the long-term reliability of the new M139 CLA45 engine.

At this point I am not even sure what I want, I also considered an RS3 Limousine which has the brilliant 5-cyl engine with an amazing sound, but that interior ... cmon .... At the moment I also own an Audi, don't get me wrong, but that RS3 interior, is really garbage(ignoring the nice virtual cockpit, which is the only plus in the interior). Looks like a car in the 2000's really.

So, coming back to my point, I will consider both your information when making a decision for my next car. CLA45s sounds definitely more promising and enjoyable, but as W205 said, with an unknown reliability for now. I am only making this long-term reliability a priority because as a 23 yo, I am doing a financial effort (not really, but 1k/month just for the lease is still something) to get this car, so that's why I am trying to define as many pluses and minuses as possible for both cars.

I am not sure if I have any other questions since you both really have some strong points. But if I will have any other questions, I will ask, thanks for the support.

About your point, Superswiss, about driving around Switzerland, you are totally right, Switzerland is not the best country where you can push your car to the limit. But as you said, the mountain roads (especially during the spring and summer) are just the right thing for this kind of AMG's. I am also lucky to live in the Basel area, so German autobahn is just 10km away from me, which means that I will definitely take regular trips to Germany to enjoy the autobahn. Also my plan is to go at least once a year to the track with the car, and feel like a professional driver by really enjoying the car at its limits

If you think there is any other information which could be helpful into making a decision, don't hesitate to reply to this threat, I appreciate it a lot.

Thank you again.
It is great to hear that the information was helpful. You doing research is a very wise move because I always tell people that after working so hard for our money we want to enjoy the car we purchase, no buyer's remorse. To have an understanding of what you are getting into, the known issues with either vehicle is relatively important.

May I ask you a question please (or basically want some clarification so I can understand you better) Since you mentioned that you are leasing the vehicle, do you plan on purchasing the vehicle after the lease ends (hence why you are worried about long-term since then you will be owning the car)? You mentioned you drive 30,000 KM annually I am not sure if there is a term for that (at least not in Canada, the max is 18,000 annually) not too sure about your country though so it might be available there. Otherwise I do suggest the CLA 45s since you are leasing anyways and will be returning it in under 4 years (you will be covered by new vehicle warranty anyways)

Since you told us you are currently an Audi driver, I wonder if you got used to Audi therefore may prefer Audi? Since you are looking to lease the C43 or CLA 45s that is why I am wondering if you want to wait a bit till the all new RS3 is announced (rumours suggested it will be announced in September 2021 and will be in dealerships in late 2021 or early 2022)? Maybe sometime this year since the new gen A3 and S3 is official. You might like the exterior and interior of the new RS3.
Do you want to tell us what made you considered Mercedes? Things you like about MB and AMG?
Below are the images of the new S3 interior, the RS 3 will probably have even sportier touches.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 04-27-2021 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Explanation on the pictures posted
Old 04-27-2021, 06:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Hmmm I guess I forgot to mention:

Since you told us you are leasing, the lease rates for the CLA 45s might be higher than the C43 which you may end up having a higher monthly payment even if the CLA 45s MSRP is lower than a C43. At least that is what I seen in Canada (I mean for the CLA 45 since we don't get the S model). The good thing is that 2020 CLA 45s was the first model year and since you might be looking at a 2021 CLA 45s, being in 2nd model year the prices wouldn't be as crazy and the depreciation wouldn't be as crazy as first model year but dealerships would still want to move the C43 inventory more by providing incentives since the new model is coming shortly.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:52 AM

A5 & C43
Thanks for your message, W205.

I totally agree with you, there is a lot of money here, so you really need to know what you are getting into. When I'll be a multi-millionaire I guess the long-term reliability will not be really a priority, but till then, every dollar matters.

Yes, the car will be leased for 4 years, but I intend to keep the car after the lease by paying the residual value. That's just because I don't really like "debt", and also don't want to pay the car in cash because you can do so many other things or investments with the money that you are basically blocking if paying the car in cash. So, because I will want to get the car at the end of the lease, the km's are not important for them. I know that it is also possible to return the car even with the 30'000kms that I drive every year, but the monthly payment will be bigger. For example, if I drive around 10'000kms/year, the lease will be around 700-750/month, but if the limit is set to 30'000km/year, the lease will be around 900-1000/month. This info is unofficial, just from what I've observed by my own since I started getting different lease offers.

I also didn't mention that the car will not be bought brand new (that will cost me over 100k+ in Switzerland...), but with a max of 20'000km, and also 1 or max 2 years old, so I can have warranty for at least a year (you have 3 years warranty for AMGs here). A nice thing for Swiss cars is that you also get FREE Servicing until 100,000 kms or 10 years, but you pay for fluids (engine oil, brake liquid, etc..). Low-maintenance really.

Why not continue with Audi's? Honestly the 2015+ Mercs came really strong to the market with their new brilliant exterior/interior designs. In terms of tech and nice features, Merc was always at the top, but now I think it's really a big overall difference between Merc and Audi/BMW. Now honestly speaking, I think that some people driving an Audi S/RS or BMW M, dream of an AMG at night, haha (I would be one of them if I would go for the RS3). I also think that, in the last couple of years the difference between all the mentioned brands just got bigger. From how I see them, you cannot really compare them at all, the difference is way too big since the moment Merc came out with the new brilliant looking cars. They kind of rebranded the Merc and enlarged their target audience from 30 yo+ to 20yo+. So, I don't really think that any other option rather than an AMG would suit me better at the moment. I guess I am turning into a Merc fanboy, lol.

Since you are saying about the lease for C43 could be cheaper, it's not really like that in my case, because the price range is kind of the same, the interest rates are also the same, and I also aim for a strict down/rest payment in order to self-organize myself financially.

I hope you can now understand a bit better why I want an AMG.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for your message, W205.

I totally agree with you, there is a lot of money here, so you really need to know what you are getting into. When I'll be a multi-millionaire I guess the long-term reliability will not be really a priority, but till then, every dollar matters.

Yes, the car will be leased for 4 years, but I intend to keep the car after the lease by paying the residual value. That's just because I don't really like "debt", and also don't want to pay the car in cash because you can do so many other things or investments with the money that you are basically blocking if paying the car in cash. So, because I will want to get the car at the end of the lease, the km's are not important for them. I know that it is also possible to return the car even with the 30'000kms that I drive every year, but the monthly payment will be bigger. For example, if I drive around 10'000kms/year, the lease will be around 700-750/month, but if the limit is set to 30'000km/year, the lease will be around 900-1000/month. This info is unofficial, just from what I've observed by my own since I started getting different lease offers.

I also didn't mention that the car will not be bought brand new (that will cost me over 100k+ in Switzerland...), but with a max of 20'000km, and also 1 or max 2 years old, so I can have warranty for at least a year (you have 3 years warranty for AMGs here). A nice thing for Swiss cars is that you also get FREE Servicing until 100,000 kms or 10 years, but you pay for fluids (engine oil, brake liquid, etc..). Low-maintenance really.

Why not continue with Audi's? Honestly the 2015+ Mercs came really strong to the market with their new brilliant exterior/interior designs. In terms of tech and nice features, Merc was always at the top, but now I think it's really a big overall difference between Merc and Audi/BMW. Now honestly speaking, I think that some people driving an Audi S/RS or BMW M, dream of an AMG at night, haha (I would be one of them if I would go for the RS3). I also think that, in the last couple of years the difference between all the mentioned brands just got bigger. From how I see them, you cannot really compare them at all, the difference is way too big since the moment Merc came out with the new brilliant looking cars. They kind of rebranded the Merc and enlarged their target audience from 30 yo+ to 20yo+. So, I don't really think that any other option rather than an AMG would suit me better at the moment. I guess I am turning into a Merc fanboy, lol.

Since you are saying about the lease for C43 could be cheaper, it's not really like that in my case, because the price range is kind of the same, the interest rates are also the same, and I also aim for a strict down/rest payment in order to self-organize myself financially.

I hope you can now understand a bit better why I want an AMG.
Ah I see. Everything makes sense now. Ya you made the right choice to come to MB (The best or nothing.) and AMG (slogan being Driving Performance) don't worry : )

I see, so you are getting a certified pre-owned 2020 C43. I pretty much thought you were getting used since you mentioned you are getting a 2020 but then I realized there might still be 2020 new stock available but then you confirmed to me you are getting used. I recommend although you don't have to, is to get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) if you are getting used. Another member (forgot his name) mentioned to look under the hood and see if there are broken clips since that is a sign the vehicle is tuned as those clips are notoriously hard to remove. If it is tuned, consider the vehicle to have more mileage than it is stated because of the additional wear and tear (If I can find the thread ill link you it, I can't remember exactly what clips they were referring to).

Not sure if your dealerships are franchised (owned by an individual or other dealership groups) or corporate owned (as in owned by MB Switzerland), make sure to shop around as dealerships offer different prices and incentives.

That sounds very nice how they pay for the labour costs associated with maintenance for 10 years!!! I just learned something new from your country, thanks for sharing.

Yes paying cash might not be the best option out there from a financial stand-point but have you considered financing instead? That way you don't have to buy it out at lease end since you are constantly paying for the car itself instead of a long-term rental (which is essentially what lease is) + depreciation (which is how they calculate the residual value). The higher the residual value the lower your monthly payments will be (At least that is how it works in Canada). If you put any down payment when leasing a vehicle, you might be paying a lower monthly (capital cost reduction) but otherwise it wouldn't make sense to do so (especially if you lease) so put that money in your bank instead.

Ah haha, yes AMG makes and tunes great cars, that being said, I believe the competitors are not bad either. You mentioned Audi and BMW, do you only like German cars? Curious, did you consider Porsche? If you like non-German cars too, what else were you considering?

Agree with your point on how Mercedes wants a younger audience. When they announced the 2019 A-Class they said since they announced the CLA-Class back in 2014, buyers are coming from non-luxury brands and are 15+ years younger. I guess they no longer like to be called "the old man's car brand" . They also said they want to bring these younger generations to the brand and keep them for life, as they grow older they are likely to buy higher tier vehicles from the brand.

Interesting comment on how the C43 lease rates are not lower than the CLA 45s, if you never told me I would never know since I would assume it is the same for other countries cuz the 205 C43 is phasing out and dealerships wants to incentivize people who helps clear their inventory.

Nothing wrong being a MB fan boy : ), they make quality machines. Good choice on your part.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:44 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
If pricing is a concern, then the C43 is a lot cheaper. Even if the MSRP is higher than the CLA45, it was a lot more negotiable for me when I leased my 2020 C43, thus leasing or financing will be a lot cheaper. Also, something people may not know is that the C43 has cheaper insurance rates as well. I called my insurance to check and it was significantly cheaper than if I went for a "real" AMG. I'm talking about 15% off MSRP. The CLA45 in the states also have that ugly bumper in the rear.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:31 PM

A5 & C43
Thanks for your messages.

W205, I am only looking at dealerships which are Mercedes Certified, so I can get all the benefits they offer.

Yes, I prefer German cars because the others simply don't attract me. About considering a Porsche, yes, I also took a look at a few options, but the models I would afford are pretty old and I would like some newer tech on it.

Two days ago I went to see a C43, which I also signed a contract for. So I would say that my search is over. I went for the C43 because probably this engine will last a little bit longer than the CLA45s. Also got a pretty good deal for it and it comes in a very nice looking wrap (see image).
At the moment I am still a little bit in shock and don't really realise that I just made my dream come true,. I hope I won't make a heart attack at the moment of taking delivery of my dream. In about two weeks I will have it, cannot wait for that moment!!

Also the sound is simply amazing, this is a video I made during the test-drive: https://streamable.com/pz4n8z
I am simply amazed and grateful for the opportunity to have such a beauty and a monster at the same time.

Thank you again for all the support, and I will probably be back on the forum in the next few months to search for some nice modifications/upgrades that I can do to my car.

Last edited by cata803; 11-10-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for your messages.

W205, I am only looking at dealerships which are Mercedes Certified, so I can get all the benefits they offer.

Yes, I prefer German cars because the others simply don't attract me. About considering a Porsche, yes, I also took a look at a few options, but the models I would afford are pretty old and I would like some newer tech on it.

Two days ago I went to see a C43, which I also signed a contract for. So I would say that my search is over. I went for the C43 because probably this engine will last a little bit longer than the CLA45s. Also got a pretty good deal for it and it comes in a very nice looking wrap (see image).
At the moment I am still a little bit in shock and don't really realise that I just made my dream come true,. I hope I won't make a heart attack at the moment of taking delivery of my dream. In about two weeks I will have it, cannot wait for that moment!!

Also the sound is simply amazing, this is a video I made during the test-drive: https://streamable.com/pz4n8z
I am simply amazed and grateful for the opportunity to have such a beauty and a monster at the same time.

Thank you again for all the support, and I will probably be back on the forum in the next few months to search for some nice modifications/upgrades that I can do to my car.
Wow Congratulations and looking forward to your delivery of your dream car! Thanks so much for your update and posting the photos.

From the picture, the car looks pretty loaded, full intelligent LED lights, night package, looks like you got adaptive cruise control too (intelligent drive distronic from the flat front emblem) can't tell if you got bucket seats from the angle but can tell you are enjoying your time in the driver's seat with that smile (if that is you)

Yes the C43 does sound nice for a 6 cylinder and I am pretty sure you will smile every time you drive it, also another of the many reasons why I have been keeping mine, sounds good and ample power for my use, finding a replacement was difficult and to be honest I think I will keep mine for a long time as well.

Be sure to post more pictures of the final delivery!
Again, congratulations!

Edit: from your video, the car indeed is mostly fully loaded, it seems like it did have distronic and even have head up display
Very nice spec!
Edit 2: If you don't mind me asking, how come it will need another 2 weeks before you can take delivery? That almost half a month wait is probably going to be difficult.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-01-2021 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cata803 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 06:55 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Wow nice color! Is this a stock color?
cata803 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 07:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Ramsino
Nope, it is a wrap.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:19 PM

A5 & C43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Wow Congratulations and looking forward to your delivery of your dream car! Thanks so much for your update and posting the photos.

From the picture, the car looks pretty loaded, full intelligent LED lights, night package, looks like you got adaptive cruise control too (intelligent drive distronic from the flat front emblem) can't tell if you got bucket seats from the angle but can tell you are enjoying your time in the driver's seat with that smile (if that is you)

Yes the C43 does sound nice for a 6 cylinder and I am pretty sure you will smile every time you drive it, also another of the many reasons why I have been keeping mine, sounds good and ample power for my use, finding a replacement was difficult and to be honest I think I will keep mine for a long time as well.

Be sure to post more pictures of the final delivery!
Again, congratulations!

Edit: from your video, the car indeed is mostly fully loaded, it seems like it did have distronic and even have head up display
Very nice spec!
Edit 2: If you don't mind me asking, how come it will need another 2 weeks before you can take delivery? That almost half a month wait is probably going to be difficult.
Yes, the car is almost fully loaded. The small displays attached to the steering wheel are the only thing missing from this spec, which I don't really mind for now, if you have any idea what would be the costs of a new steering with the small displays. please let me know.
You are right, those are the bucket seats (AMG Performance Seats), which hold you incredibly well. That driver's seat is really the best place to be, hehe.

Totally agree, I am sure that this car will bring a smile on my face every time I'll drive it, it is one of the reasons why I wanted an AMG. (Looks, Performance and Sound = basically a C43 Coupe summed up)

I will come with more pictures when I will have it, for sure!

At the moment the reason for the 2 week delivery is unknown, I will find out more precisely tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Ramsino
Thanks, I also love it! As W205 said, it's a wrap. I will get the name and code of the wrap color and will let you all know, if anyone interested.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:45 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
looks great! congrats!!!
cata803 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Yes, the car is almost fully loaded. The small displays attached to the steering wheel are the only thing missing from this spec, which I don't really mind for now, if you have any idea what would be the costs of a new steering with the small displays. please let me know.
You are right, those are the bucket seats (AMG Performance Seats), which hold you incredibly well. That driver's seat is really the best place to be, hehe.

Totally agree, I am sure that this car will bring a smile on my face every time I'll drive it, it is one of the reasons why I wanted an AMG. (Looks, Performance and Sound = basically a C43 Coupe summed up)

I will come with more pictures when I will have it, for sure!

At the moment the reason for the 2 week delivery is unknown, I will find out more precisely tomorrow.

Thanks, I also love it! As W205 said, it's a wrap. I will get the name and code of the wrap color and will let you all know, if anyone interested.
I see. Keep us updated if you receive a reply on the delivery and/or if the delivery is early. It will be an exciting moment for you for sure!

Regarding about the AMG Drive Unit (those small displays you were talking about), it is possible to be retrofitted but according to a member, there is coding required from Mercedes-Benz Germany AG remotely. According to this member, you don't need to change the whole steering wheel but you need to swap/add/remove a few pieces.

Another thing to note is, you need to decide what is more important, heated steering wheel or the AMG Drive Unit. Since they can't coexist. If you confirmed that you don't have the heated steering wheel in your car then it shouldn't be a problem. If you do, however, then you need to unplug it, more details in the thread linked below.

Here is the thread by that member regarding about the retrofit:
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...g-buttons.html

Please keep in mind that this was done on a G-Class, although the process should be similar, just make sure the part numbers are right and parts fit the C43. Confirm everything with your dealership.

The link below is where you can buy the parts (please keep in mind that this link is for the G-Class, make sure to confirm compatibility)
https://schawe-shop.de/en/mercedes-b...-mercedes-benz
Old 05-23-2021, 07:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Time flies! I believe that you taken delivery of your car already! I hope you are enjoying it so far : )
Old 05-25-2021, 10:44 AM

A5 & C43
Time definitely flies! Sorry for not giving any updates, but I was really busy at work and also since I got the car my "free time" turned into "non-stop car rides". I am still not realizing that I really got this car, I'm simply speechless.

The delivery time was actually quicker. They just wanted to make sure that all the documents are ready in time, that's why they said a long time period. I got it 7 days earlier than I was supposed to. Actually, today is the 15th day with the car.

I don't even know what to say about the car... I'm amazed and grateful for having such a beauty and a beast at the same time. Even though the transmission is jerky as expected, as a teenager, I don't really mind that honestly.

The feeling this car gives you is priceless, really:
  • Power. Coming from a 233hp car to this 390hp beast, I can say that this car is very brutal and aggressive, I simply love it!
  • Sound. The performance exhaust is definitely a must have on any C43. I went on a test drive with a C43 with NO AMG performance exhaust and honestly, the sound was boring. Very disappointed by that. But having the AMG performance exhaust on the car, oh GOD, those upshifts and crackles at around 5000-5500 rpm are simply breathtaking, they are always "wow'ing" me, simply can't get enough, I'm addicted to that sound! (I don't even want to think about how addicted I could get to a AMG V8 sound, but there is enough time to get one. At the moment this is more than enough for me.)
  • The color. The photos are incomparable to what this car looks like in reality (I was shocked first time I saw the car, it really doesn't look like it the photos). The chameleon and sparkles in the wrap are hard to be observed in photos. I will make a video with color so you can see what I am talking about.
  • Rockstar feeling. The C43 is definitely a beautiful and sporty car, but this color makes it something even more special. This car gets everyone's attention. It's simply an attention magnet, definitely because of this really rare and shiny color. Not to mention kids reactions, which are very expressive by either shouting "wow" or pointing the finger at the car, haha. I usually do a quick pull-up in this situations because I was once just like them and I was loving it when someone was accelerating a bit so I can also enjoy the sound. The time has come to repay all the people I asked "nice car, can you give it a rev?", haha.
With all the pluses, there is somehow a minus, which I was honestly expecting, but it exceeded my expectations waaaaaaay over. And that is, ... you probably already guessed, the fuel consumption. I feel like this car has some fuel leakage, lol... I have to admit it, these two weeks were fire, I was never on comfort, only sport+ and manual, so the fuel consumption is not really that unexpected, but cmon.... In this 15 days, I just fueled up my beauty for the 5th time. Just as an idea, the fuel price in Switzerland (98 octane), is around 1,70 swiss francs per liter. That means around $1,90. Having a 66 liter tank and considering that I had left 6 liters that would mean I fueled up my car 60 liters x 5 times. That would mean "just" $570 in two weeks (and around 2000kms already). I guess that once I will get used to the car, I won't always drive it on sport+, so I guess that this will last for around 1-2 months, but still, this thing breathes and EATSSSSS the gas, really.
Anyway, you cannot compare the money you put in the gas with the feeling, it's totally worth it.

A Funny but not so funny fact. On the day of delivery, after around 40 minutes of driving the car home, I decided to do a quick pull-up right before the highway exit (1km away from my home), and guess what, a fixed radar flashed me (I knew that the radar was there, is close to my home, but I guess the enthusiasm and the fact that the highway was empty, made me push that accelerator and forget about that radar). Well, I had around 159 km/h per hour on a 100 km/h speed limit. I just received the fine today saying that I was speeding with 151 km/h - 5km/h the potential error, the official speed is 146 km/h. In Switzerland, for this, I will get my license suspended for at least 3 months (up to one year), but being a first offence, it would probably be 3 months disqualification. Perfect timing, yay! Not to mention the probably very expensive fine (i expect around 1'000 - 2'000 swiss francs). At the moment of writing this, I remember in this forum post that @superswiss asked me where I want to speed with this car in Switzerland, because you cannot really do it. Well, I knew it from the beginning, I tried not to do it, but it seems like I am a little bit immature and irresponsible (I guess that's the most common thing for young drivers). Just to mention, I am not a reckless driver, I am not trying or doing things that would put me or anyone in danger. As I said, the highway was empty and there were 4 lanes at the point when the radar flashed me - two highways merging into one. This is definitely a lesson that I learned. From now on, since I have the German Autobahn at 10 minutes away, that's the place for driving the car in sport+, haha. I went on the autobahn a few days ago tho'. The car goes to 264 km/h and then the limitation comes in place. The car has the potential to get more but the Vmax will need to be turned off

Anyway, the car is amazing, I am in love with it. I am happy with the decision I took and you all helped me a lot into taking this decision. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

I will come in a few days/weeks with more detailed photos/videos with the car and the wrap.

Thank you for the AMG Drive unit answer. I will probably do this either at the end of the year or next year.

Last edited by cata803; 05-25-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:40 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Congrats on a sweet looking car. Sucks to hear about your speeding ticket though. Have fun and be safe...
Old 05-25-2021, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
A Funny but not so funny fact. On the day of delivery, after around 40 minutes of driving the car home, I decided to do a quick pull-up right before the highway exit (1km away from my home), and guess what, a fixed radar flashed me (I knew that the radar was there, is close to my home, but I guess the enthusiasm and the fact that the highway was empty, made me push that accelerator and forget about that radar). Well, I had around 159 km/h per hour on a 100 km/h speed limit. I just received the fine today saying that I was speeding with 151 km/h - 5km/h the potential error, the official speed is 146 km/h. In Switzerland, for this, I will get my license suspended for at least 3 months (up to one year), but being a first offence, it would probably be 3 months disqualification. Perfect timing, yay! Not to mention the probably very expensive fine (i expect around 1'000 - 2'000 swiss francs). At the moment of writing this, I remember in this forum post that @superswiss asked me where I want to speed with this car in Switzerland, because you cannot really do it. Well, I knew it from the beginning, I tried not to do it, but it seems like I am a little bit immature and irresponsible (I guess that's the most common thing for young drivers). Just to mention, I am not a reckless driver, I am not trying or doing things that would put me or anyone in danger. As I said, the highway was empty and there were 4 lanes at the point when the radar flashed me - two highways merging into one. This is definitely a lesson that I learned. From now on, since I have the German Autobahn at 10 minutes away, that's the place for driving the car in sport+, haha. I went on the autobahn a few days ago tho'. The car goes to 264 km/h and then the limitation comes in place. The car has the potential to get more but the Vmax will need to be turned off
Oh man! Yep, that's what I was getting at. Well at least you weren't going so fast as for them to impound and crush your new car. Still remember the story about these Chinese billionaires who travelled to Italy and bought Ferraris and Lambos, then travelled through Europe and got caught speeding in Switzerland much faster than you were going. Their excuse was that they thought they were in Germany...haha. They ended up being fined millions as you know the fine becomes proportional to your income at some point and their new Ferraris and Lambos were impounded and crushed.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Time definitely flies! Sorry for not giving any updates, but I was really busy at work and also since I got the car my "free time" turned into "non-stop car rides". I am still not realizing that I really got this car, I'm simply speechless.

The delivery time was actually quicker. They just wanted to make sure that all the documents are ready in time, that's why they said a long time period. I got it 7 days earlier than I was supposed to. Actually, today is the 15th day with the car.

I don't even know what to say about the car... I'm amazed and grateful for having such a beauty and a beast at the same time. Even though the transmission is jerky as expected, as a teenager, I don't really mind that honestly.

The feeling this car gives you is priceless, really:
  • Power. Coming from a 233hp car to this 390hp beast, I can say that this car is very brutal and aggressive, I simply love it!
  • Sound. The performance exhaust is definitely a must have on any C43. I went on a test drive with a C43 with NO AMG performance exhaust and honestly, the sound was boring. Very disappointed by that. But having the AMG performance exhaust on the car, oh GOD, those upshifts and crackles at around 5000-5500 rpm are simply breathtaking, they are always "wow'ing" me, simply can't get enough, I'm addicted to that sound! (I don't even want to think about how addicted I could get to a AMG V8 sound, but there is enough time to get one. At the moment this is more than enough for me.)
  • The color. The photos are incomparable to what this car looks like in reality (I was shocked first time I saw the car, it really doesn't look like it the photos). The chameleon and sparkles in the wrap are hard to be observed in photos. I will make a video with color so you can see what I am talking about.
  • Rockstar feeling. The C43 is definitely a beautiful and sporty car, but this color makes it something even more special. This car gets everyone's attention. It's simply an attention magnet, definitely because of this really rare and shiny color. Not to mention kids reactions, which are very expressive by either shouting "wow" or pointing the finger at the car, haha. I usually do a quick pull-up in this situations because I was once just like them and I was loving it when someone was accelerating a bit so I can also enjoy the sound. The time has come to repay all the people I asked "nice car, can you give it a rev?", haha.
With all the pluses, there is somehow a minus, which I was honestly expecting, but it exceeded my expectations waaaaaaay over. And that is, ... you probably already guessed, the fuel consumption. I feel like this car has some fuel leakage, lol... I have to admit it, these two weeks were fire, I was never on comfort, only sport+ and manual, so the fuel consumption is not really that unexpected, but cmon.... In this 15 days, I just fueled up my beauty for the 5th time. Just as an idea, the fuel price in Switzerland (98 octane), is around 1,70 swiss francs per liter. That means around $1,90. Having a 66 liter tank and considering that I had left 6 liters that would mean I fueled up my car 60 liters x 5 times. That would mean "just" $570 in two weeks (and around 2000kms already). I guess that once I will get used to the car, I won't always drive it on sport+, so I guess that this will last for around 1-2 months, but still, this thing breathes and EATSSSSS the gas, really.
Anyway, you cannot compare the money you put in the gas with the feeling, it's totally worth it.

Anyway, the car is amazing, I am in love with it. I am happy with the decision I took and you all helped me a lot into taking this decision. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

I will come in a few days/weeks with more detailed photos/videos with the car and the wrap.

Thank you for the AMG Drive unit answer. I will probably do this either at the end of the year or next year.
Awesome! Thanks for your comprehensive review! I am so glad you enjoy the car. I am sorry for the ticket though, glad your car wasn't impounded. No worries on the delayed update on the forums, I understand you were busy with work and busy enjoying the car and discovering all the hidden features. Being able to afford your dream car is always an exciting moment!

That is good news with the delivery time, especially how they under-promised and overdeliver. Super glad you didn't have to wait so long because waiting is one of the most challenging things to cope with after signing the sales contract.

As it is a AMG tuned vehicle, when you put gas in, it gets converted to smiles per liter/gallons instead of miles per liter/gallons. So it is natural that the car loves to drink fuel. I believe it is worth it and so did you.

Agree how the car can turn into a beast with a flip of the switch, which is one of the many reasons I love mine so much. The car has two personalities. One click, pure luxury cruiser and then another click completely transformed.

The 233hp car was your A5? If so yes it is a completely different experience between Audi and MB, let alone the regular A5 vs the performance version of the C-Class which you currently have.
Glad you are enjoying the performance exhaust. I personally believe it is one of the best sounding V6s out there.

The colour I also agree, especially your wrap is stunning, although it isn't for everyone but most of us do like it.

That is nice, glad you can finally be the one revving the car to produce music in people's ears (the car enthusiast)

No worries at all, everyone on this forum was glad to help. We are happy that we managed to help you pick the car you wanted.

Yes please, post more pictures we are looking forward to seeing more.

No problem at all, hopefully it all works out with the drive unit.

Anyways, hope you enjoy it for years to come. Please feel free to hop back in and share your experience even more!
Old 05-25-2021, 09:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by superswiss
Oh man! Yep, that's what I was getting at. Well at least you weren't going so fast as for them to impound and crush your new car. Still remember the story about these Chinese billionaires who travelled to Italy and bought Ferraris and Lambos, then travelled through Europe and got caught speeding in Switzerland much faster than you were going. Their excuse was that they thought they were in Germany...haha. They ended up being fined millions as you know the fine becomes proportional to your income at some point and their new Ferraris and Lambos were impounded and crushed.
Interesting, I didn't know they drive Ferraris in Swiss like that. I also didn't know they crush cars... which upsets me and heart breaking in general, I guess that is the law in Switzerland. I wonder why they don't put it to good use instead. Thanks for sharing. I just learned something today.