ModalWorks True Cold Air Induction System, performance data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 10:51 AM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Star4life
Hello Beautifuls!

Going to be testing these bad boys on the car late this week and into next week. We are verifying the fitment! Once the fitment is good, I am sure modal works will be opening a pre order soon! Until then, enjoy this pic!

They are like Eventuri's for baby motors...

Attachment 439272
The following users liked this post:
Star4life (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amg C43
Have ur intakes made a big difference, on ur big engine?
Old 08-26-2021, 12:57 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by MaverickC43
Have ur intakes made a big difference, on ur big engine?
My giant 245 cubic inches? LOL..............

I remember when the Chevy 327 was tiny..............
Darrington (08-26-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:18 PM
SPONSOR

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts
W205 C63
Originally Posted by EbonyCoupe43
Can you explain the science behind how carbon absorbs or retains less heat than a engineering grade plastic,? this is the first time hearing this. I know race cars use carbon intakes but its mostly because they are not mass produced and are one off creations. A carbon mold is quicker and cheaper to whip up.

Will you have data on a bone stock car? not a modded car with ancillary upgrades. I ask this because it seems like this kit will reach over $1,200- $1,300(I hope not), and im tentatively interested but need to evaluate the power to cost ratio. Pardon for sounding patronizing, but as with any purchase and as a consumer I like to cut through any "marketing fluff" and see that the price justifies the results.

seen on other platforms (Audi,BMW, MB) carbon intakes being sold with no name filters being sold at exorbitant prices, when in fact they get these made in china for $150-250 a pop for the carbon stuff and unload them at over $1k.
Thanks for the inquiries, I'll try to answer them all for you:

1. Carbon fiber epoxy has comparable thermal properties to an engineering grade plastic. Aluminum for example has thermal conductivity of ~240 W/mk, plastics range from roughly 0.25-0.5 W/mk and a carbon fiber epoxy composite is around 0.25-1 W/mk. There is some overlap between plastics and carbon and it depends on the epoxy content of the composite (epoxy has conductivity of ~0.15W/mk). Basically, compared to any metal, carbon fiber epoxy is orders of magnitude better in terms of thermals. We are saying that carbon fiber is the best material for the job because it has fantastic thermal properties, it is incredibly strong and light, and it obviously has a very nice aesthetic appearance.

2. Our carbon molds are manufactured with with steel for mass production. This is not a hobby level mold done it a garage for a single part. Additionally, we also added a bladder mold for internal cavities to ensure a smooth layout to improve airflow. See images below.

3. Getting data on a stock car wasn't the primary driver for this design, so we don't have it yet. Once we have more samples ready we may work with some users to gather that information. The data in the first post is all on a tuned car (with stock turbos) to show the potential of this product for most consumers looking to do the big 3 mods (intake, exhaust and tune). Typically intakes shine the most when engines are requesting significantly more airflow (tuned and running more boost). What our data has shown is that we flow notably more air (which is also much cooler) than stock/competitor products on the market. This more/colder air results in 1s faster 60-130 times, which is massive for an intake.

4. We try to price all of our products competitively taking into account manufacturing costs, prototyping and design efforts. The manufacturing cost for this system is not cheap... it's 4 large molded pieces of carbon fiber with machined billet aluminum pieces, custom silicone molded inlet adapters, premium oversized AFE filters and custom wire harness extensions. We wanted to go all out for this intake system to release a premium product that has proven real world results. This system is 100% designed in house with analysis and testing to support it, and it is definitely not a $150 unit lol. With that being said we are targeting introductory prices of ~$1100-1200, which is significantly cheaper than what other manufacturers producing similar caliber systems are charging.

Pre orders will be opening soon! We just want better production commitment dates before launching.

Last edited by ModalWorks; 09-01-2021 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added pictures
The following 2 users liked this post by ModalWorks:
3AD5 (09-02-2021), Star4life (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 01:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 Coupe
ummm.... I was initially alluding that vendors get these things made over seas for 150$-200$ and charge us (the customer) over a thousand dollars. if this is about "results" and "backed up by data" then you should give a baseline on stock car, so we can see the delta between stock and with this intake.

You confirmed my suspicion that you are making these for probably under 200$ a set and off loading these for over 1k$ even with the semi-brand AFE filters. The Chinese writing on your mold confirms this.
these should be 800 max for the profit your making. I know its a free market but honestly I think your pricing yourself out at this point on an otherwise cool idea, and its a bit exploitative.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:12 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
1. We have provided the some of the best data of any other manufacturer on the market with road tested results showing improved boost, lower temperatures, better airflow and lower 60-130 times. We will eventually get data on a stock vehicle and publish that for the forum.

2. We aren't fans of getting into arguments with forum members, and I'm hoping we can resolve this and not step on each others toes. We don't appreciate false rumors being spread about our company, especially after investing tons of time and money bringing a new product to market for your vehicle. I can say that based on our manufacturing and tooling costs that even at the ~$1200 price point this intake will remain a low margin item for us. The $150-$200 price point that you are claiming is realistic for a single tube of this complexity, not for 4. We took on this project to bring a top notch product to market for your car. Obviously this price point won't be for everyone, and we do not believe in price gouging or taking advantage of our customers. All of our products are competitively priced based on our manufacturing/procurement costs and i'm hoping that me being as forthcoming as possible without disclosing our financials that you will be trusting of us going forward.

Last edited by ModalWorks; 09-02-2021 at 07:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ModalWorks:
Herrerrera (11-25-2021), ParadigmDawg (09-07-2021), Star4life (09-06-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amg C43
We all know mods for our cars are going to be expensive.
I doubt people believe your cost is $800 per unit.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 AMG C43
There was mention of a carbon fibre engine cover to go with this intake so as not to have to modify the existing cover.
Will this still be available? If so at what extra cost and will it be available straight away?
Herrerrera (11-25-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 06:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
C43 2017
Man what a tough crowd, the mans profit... big or small or not at all is nobodies business. Pay to play or go away!! Mercedes forum? Or a bunch of reverse cap driving hondahs
The following 8 users liked this post by Hungalow:
'1663s (09-14-2021), AhEmGee (09-04-2021), BidAsk132 (09-02-2021), Big Goober (01-28-2022), c450Sam (09-14-2022), Herrerrera (11-25-2021), Star4life (09-06-2021), viejo (09-03-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 43 AMG
A products value will be determined by the market, not one persons opinion based on hypothetical cost analysis. Free market means free to leave as well. Mods should clean this thread up & support vendors bringing products to market.
The following 5 users liked this post by BidAsk132:
1SickGLC (09-02-2021), AhEmGee (09-04-2021), Herrerrera (11-25-2021), Star4life (09-06-2021), viejo (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 03:43 AM

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 AMG C43
They look amazing and on following this post I have to say that at $1100 you'd be pricing it out of what I'd be willing to pay. I'm currently running with BMS intakes and I havnt had any issues to justify the $1100 for the amount of HP gains. Yours are sure pretty and all, but when the pedal hits the medal and the hood is down what counts is the performance gains. So unless your system doubles the HP you can get from the BMS intakes you've got a hard sell at double the price. You've got to be closer to BMS and MST prices to be marketable. Of course that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong!
Old 09-03-2021, 08:39 AM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by Freder8d
They look amazing and on following this post I have to say that at $1100 you'd be pricing it out of what I'd be willing to pay. I'm currently running with BMS intakes and I havnt had any issues to justify the $1100 for the amount of HP gains. Yours are sure pretty and all, but when the pedal hits the medal and the hood is down what counts is the performance gains. So unless your system doubles the HP you can get from the BMS intakes you've got a hard sell at double the price. You've got to be closer to BMS and MST prices to be marketable. Of course that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong!
Completely understandable. All the results in the first post are nearly twice as good as the competition (air temps, air flow, boost, and 60-130 times) so we think it’s safe to say it is twice as good.
'1663s (09-14-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
My lease is going to be up by the time these beauties hit the market. This is the intake to buy if you're going to. The LEM ones should perform better than what's currently out there too.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I am going to try to say this in a nice way. We have a company here among others, trying to get quality aftermarket products to market to enhance vehicle performance. Lets not bog these guys down. if its too expensive in your opinion, move along. Plenty of cheap intakes for you to buy. To even put this intake in the same ball park as MST or BMS is laughable. I do not want to say those intakes are bad necessarily as I ran BMS for quite a while albeit it was the only product on the market. In the winter BMS was awesome. In the summer, or waiting in line at the strip, not so much but it was still better than stock as we see in above testing. In any market, most people prefer the oem intake as they provide better performance up to a point. Most people go with an aftermarket intake for the sound. And its uneducated to expect any amount of power increase from an intake alone. Most factory intakes are sufficient enough for stage 1 tunes. But once you get past this level and become serious about your car, a variable called IAT starts to become important in addition to CFM of airflow. BMS and other open air designs solve 1 problem (Airflow) but not the other problem (IAT). If you dont know what IAT is, it is Intake Air Temperature. Above certain levels, the car will start to pull power to protect the motor from pre detonation so you don't throw a rod. This carbon intake solves the CFM issue for highly tuned cars, and also solves the IAT issue. If you do not see the benefit of this intake you probably are not buying an intake for power gains and more for sound. Which is fine but anyone serious about making power in the c43 will see this intake is the solution.

Look at any carbon fiber intake for a "real" platform (ie. e63, c63, BMW M, etc.) and I think you will see the $1200 price point is dirt cheap. I'll assume most of you don't run a business or have any business experience with the way you are talking. Lets not forget, to produce these, you have materials, labor, pieces cost, R&D time, Mold cost, customer service, wiring harness, silicone couplers, logistics, packaging, etc. the list goes on to bring product to market that you can just bolt on. Lets give these guys a hand and encourage more companies to build products for our platform vs other -potential manufactures seeing this thread and getting scared away from the platform due to keyboard warriors.
The following 7 users liked this post by Star4life:
'1663s (09-14-2021), AhEmGee (09-06-2021), c450Sam (09-14-2022), Darrington (09-06-2021), Herrerrera (11-25-2021), MatthewJ (09-07-2021), sbradleyhall (11-29-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2021, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 AMG C43
I am going to try to say this in a nice way. We have a company here among others, trying to get quality aftermarket products to market to enhance vehicle performance. Lets not bog these guys down. if its too expensive in your opinion, move along. Plenty of cheap intakes for you to buy. To even put this intake in the same ball park as MST or BMS is laughable. I do not want to say those intakes are bad necessarily as I ran BMS for quite a while albeit it was the only product on the market. In the winter BMS was awesome. In the summer, or waiting in line at the strip, not so much but it was still better than stock as we see in above testing. In any market, most people prefer the oem intake as they provide better performance up to a point. Most people go with an aftermarket intake for the sound. And its uneducated to expect any amount of power increase from an intake alone. Most factory intakes are sufficient enough for stage 1 tunes. But once you get past this level and become serious about your car, a variable called IAT starts to become important in addition to CFM of airflow. BMS and other open air designs solve 1 problem (Airflow) but not the other problem (IAT). If you dont know what IAT is, it is Intake Air Temperature. Above certain levels, the car will start to pull power to protect the motor from pre detonation so you don't throw a rod. This carbon intake solves the CFM issue for highly tuned cars, and also solves the IAT issue. If you do not see the benefit of this intake you probably are not buying an intake for power gains and more for sound. Which is fine but anyone serious about making power in the c43 will see this intake is the solution.

Look at any carbon fiber intake for a "real" platform (ie. e63, c63, BMW M, etc.) and I think you will see the $1200 price point is dirt cheap. I'll assume most of you don't run a business or have any business experience with the way you are talking. Lets not forget, to produce these, you have materials, labor, pieces cost, R&D time, Mold cost, customer service, wiring harness, silicone couplers, logistics, packaging, etc. the list goes on to bring product to market that you can just bolt on. Lets give these guys a hand and encourage more companies to build products for our platform vs other -potential manufactures seeing this thread and getting scared away from the platform due to keyboard warriors.
I am following and very eager, just hope the postage isn’t going to be excessive to Australia. Still hoping for an answer from Modal about the carbon engine cover you mentioned previously. Modal please contact me to organise the first one in Australia.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
2015 C400
Any pics installed on your ride yet or feedback from your initial testing? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2021, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
The carbon engine cover will be available a few months after the intake release. In the meantime, the stock cover can be used with some trimming.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C43 AMG
Hi all, for someone with a warranty until 2023 on a 2018 C43 AMG and not planning to void it until then(if then), is there value in getting this intake?

I realize it’ll be expensive without too much power gains, but I’m looking to get the best parts and not cheap out on the way

thanks all!
Old 09-07-2021, 05:28 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Originally Posted by PiotrJCasper
Hi all, for someone with a warranty until 2023 on a 2018 C43 AMG and not planning to void it until then(if then), is there value in getting this intake?

I realize it’ll be expensive without too much power gains, but I’m looking to get the best parts and not cheap out on the way

thanks all!
Life's too short to worry about these things !
An intake is easy to swap over, but very unlikely to cause an issue unless installed by a buffoon or extremely crap quality.
I tuned my car at 1000 miles and haven't looked back.
The C43 ,stock ,is too slow on a roll at speeds above 80 mph for me....
PiotrJCasper (09-07-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by EbonyCoupe43
The Chinese writing on your mold confirms this.
these should be 800 max for the profit your making. I know its a free market but honestly I think your pricing yourself out at this point on an otherwise cool idea, and its a bit exploitative.

Wow, you’re amazing - how do you know that’s Chinese writing?
Old 09-09-2021, 11:56 AM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by VictoryRoadPerformance
Yes your suspicions are correct. Like most other carbon parts they are made in china. The manufacturer is on alibaba/express.
Who cares? If the data supports the performance and you can and want to pay the price, more power to them. This is America....they can charge whatever they want for it...lol....
MaverickC43 (09-09-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I have some installed pics here

We took it on the circuit track (not drag) yesterday to test and they performed amazing! Low IAT all day and consistent power. Please note that the final design will have black couplers not blue. Also an optional carbon fiber engine cover will be available as an add on or you can modify OEM cover as shown.

There will also be a cheaper version without the enclosed filters to make an open filter design using oem air guides. This will be a louder design and will give you more of a turbo sound. You will still gain the benefit of the carbon intake tubes and increased airflow but it wont be as performance oriented and more for sound.

Also pictures of said test vehicle on track

Last edited by Star4life; 09-10-2021 at 02:52 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Star4life:
0dte (09-10-2021), BayAreaAMG (09-11-2021), Darrington (09-10-2021), dowheelies (09-12-2021), ModalWorks (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
16' C450 AMG
Definitely needs red couplers but looks good.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
GT53, GLE53
Question: Will this system reuse any of the OEM intake components? Only reason I am asking is currently have a BMS intake, but since the original filter housings aren't used, there are no mounting points for the AMG engine cover... I'd like to chop those down to fabricate mounting points that are usable, but don't want to chop them up if any part is reused on your system when I go for that...

R/
Brian
Old 09-12-2021, 12:48 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
I have some installed pics here

There will also be a cheaper version without the enclosed filters to make an open filter design using oem air guides. This will be a louder design and will give you more of a turbo sound. You will still gain the benefit of the carbon intake tubes and increased airflow but it wont be as performance oriented and more for sound.

Ooh I like the option of having the open air design for sound.

Last edited by jonathan358; 09-12-2021 at 12:52 AM. Reason: removed question

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ModalWorks True Cold Air Induction System, performance data