Is your steering wheel straight?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Is your steering wheel straight?

Dears,

Long story short, during the last service at an official MB dealer, I requested a 4 wheels alignment as my steering wheel tended to be centered to the right when I was driving straight. (pointing to 1 o'Clock)

When I received my C43 AMG back, the car tracks indeed straight perfectly, however now my steering wheel tends to be centered to the left when I'm driving straight. (pointing to 11 o'Clock)
It went back already 3 times to the dealer, and same results every time, the steering is slightly centered to left when driving straight. I have received a copy of the alignment report, and indeed everything is 100% within the specs.

I'm a bit puzzled, and even starting now to think that's maybe the way it's supposed to be. I watched a couple of C43/C63 test drives videos, and it seems that all of them have their steering wheel slightly to the left.

So question for you guys: if you remove your hands from your steering wheel while driving straight, what is the natural resting position of your steering wheel? Is it 100% straight, or does it also tend to rotate to the left? (11 o'Clock)

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,
Thibaut.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
100% straight - which is the only acceptable answer, whether you're driving a Kia or Mercedes. Where are you located? I'd find another dealer, or independent shop that specializes in suspension and alignments.
The following users liked this post:
White One (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Not difficult to correct. Adjust right-side tie rod end to pull/push front of wheel inwards. Adjust left-side tie rod end an equal opposite amount to push/pull front of wheel outwards. Which way to rotate tie rod adjuster depends if steering rack attaches to front or rear of hub.
Start small; 1/8th to 1/4 turn each side but opposite directions. Each side must be rotated an equal amount in opposite directions!
Example: if steering rack attaches to front of hub then under car centerline looking at right wheel, rotate adjuster clockwise to "pull" the front of wheel inwards. Turn around and looking at left wheel, rotate adjuster counter-clockwise to "push" front of wheel outwards.
Expect to use two wrenches and a crescent wrench (to rotate ball joint attachment).
This is why I perform my own wheel alignments. I got tired of multiple trips to the shop to get the steering wheel straight. FWIW, on my E55s, 1/2 turn of the tie rod provides approx 1mm change in toe.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,561 Posts
2019 C63CS
I've had issues in the past with the steering wheels being crooked after an alignment. They are supposed to use a tool to keep the steering wheel locked while doing the alignment, but it comes down to the tech not having crooked vision when setting the steering wheel. The nice thing about the MB steering wheels is that it has the MB star right in the center, so if it's pointing straight up, then the steering wheel is straight, assuming that the airbag isn't crooked. I've noticed in my C63S coupe, that the steering column is not in the center of the instrument cluster, so if I'm looking at the 12o'clock marker on my steering wheel then it seems off center, but the MB star is pointing straight up. So what's your point of reference? The dash lines can play tricks with your brain.

Having said that, here in the USA it's normal for the steering wheel to be slightly to the left, because of the road crown. The roads fall off to the right for water runoff, so one is essentially always steering slightly left to go straight, and if you let go off the steering wheel the car actually veers right due to the downward slope of the road. Some alignment shops actually factor in the average crown, so the steering wheel is straight, but the car is steering slightly left to compensate.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-20-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Solo wing (03-25-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
True statement by superswiss about the road crown. Whenever I align my car I have multiple roadways on which I drive with which I am familiar. Some of them the car pulls right, others car pulls left, and a few the car drives straight. So, I drive them all and get an idea if the steering wheel is off. If it is off I pick up the front of the car and I adjust the tie rod ends and then go back and redrive the roads. There is available a bubble level that can be attached to the steering wheel to ensure it is straight and if you want to get very accurate about it you can hook up your star system and it will tell you the angle of the steering wheel during alignment.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:44 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
If your car drives straight, but your steering wheel is crooked: adjust both tie rod ends in the same direction, opposite to which way your steering wheel is pointing.

^ This is the manual way.

Because our cars have electric steering, you can also adjust the steering rack to be centered at x distance. This method isn't recommended as you will have slightly more angle at full lock in one direction than the other.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:44 PM

Received 310 Likes on 236 Posts
C43
My steering wheel apparently does not conform to conventional norms, but identifies as non-binary.
MaverickC43 (03-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,501 Likes on 2,128 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by jonathan358
If your car drives straight, but your steering wheel is crooked: adjust both tie rod ends in the same direction, opposite to which way your steering wheel is pointing.

^ This is the manual way.

Because our cars have electric steering, you can also adjust the steering rack to be centered at x distance. This method isn't recommended as you will have slightly more angle at full lock in one direction than the other.
Good advice.

btw OP, there are such a thing called 5 wheel alignment I assume that is when they include the steering wheel, does your dealership offer that?
Old 03-21-2023, 06:16 AM

C43 AMG
Interesting, thanks a lot for all the replies.

The road crown is a valid remark, as we also have this in my country. However, before owning the C43, I had another W205 with low mileage, and I have never noticed such a thing.
Currently, when I let go the steering wheel, it will naturally rotate to the left around 11 oClock while the car will go straight. I have never experience such a thing, so definitely something is wrong with the alignment.
I'm not directly looking at the 12 oClock marking, but rather at the structure of the steering wheel and especially the paddle shifters: the left(down) paddle is clearly below the level of the right(up) paddle when going straight.

Anyway, I just called another MB dealer that offers in-house alignment service too. Appointment is booked in the coming weeks, I will keep you posted. (fingers crossed)
Old 03-21-2023, 07:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by thvdevel
Interesting, thanks a lot for all the replies.

The road crown is a valid remark, as we also have this in my country. However, before owning the C43, I had another W205 with low mileage, and I have never noticed such a thing.
Currently, when I let go the steering wheel, it will naturally rotate to the left around 11 oClock while the car will go straight. I have never experience such a thing, so definitely something is wrong with the alignment.
I'm not directly looking at the 12 oClock marking, but rather at the structure of the steering wheel and especially the paddle shifters: the left(down) paddle is clearly below the level of the right(up) paddle when going straight.

Anyway, I just called another MB dealer that offers in-house alignment service too. Appointment is booked in the coming weeks, I will keep you posted. (fingers crossed)
Good idea on getting it checked, can you post a picture for us to see, try to take the picture at the centre because if you take the picture at any angle it will look different.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:19 AM

C43 AMG
Yes, hopefully the other dealer will be able to sort this out. I had a tech on the call asking me a few questions already, but from my side I'm really suspecting that the steering wheel simply moved during toe adjustment. They proposed to first do a full alignment properly again, and if it doesn't solve the issue, they will inspect further the joints/bolts that could possibly have stretched over time. (but I really doubt about that)

Anyway, here is how my steering wheel was positioned when driving straight when I got it back the first time from the dealer. Obviously really crooked to the left, it was completely off.
It went back two times to the dealer for the same reason meanwhile, and I must admit that it's slightly better now but still crooked a bit left. My point of reference is really the paddle shifters that should be on the same level when I let go the steering wheel .. which is still not the case currently.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,561 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yeah, that's definitely crooked. The top of the MB star is pointing left.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by thvdevel
Yes, hopefully the other dealer will be able to sort this out. I had a tech on the call asking me a few questions already, but from my side I'm really suspecting that the steering wheel simply moved during toe adjustment. They proposed to first do a full alignment properly again, and if it doesn't solve the issue, they will inspect further the joints/bolts that could possibly have stretched over time. (but I really doubt about that)

Anyway, here is how my steering wheel was positioned when driving straight when I got it back the first time from the dealer. Obviously really crooked to the left, it was completely off.
It went back two times to the dealer for the same reason meanwhile, and I must admit that it's slightly better now but still crooked a bit left. My point of reference is really the paddle shifters that should be on the same level when I let go the steering wheel .. which is still not the case currently.

Thanks for posting a picture for us to confirm, yup ours don't look like that, hopefully it gets aligned properly soon. Another way to tell is that 12 o'clock marker which also helps you determine if the steering wheel needs adjusting.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
My car always has the same issue when I get it aligned at the MB dealer. I've brought it back to have them make sure the steering wheel is straight, then the next time I need an alignment(which is pretty often due to the horrible roads around here), I get it back the same way. Always pointed off to the left while driving perfectly straight, even accounting for road crowning.
Adi-Benz (04-05-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 09:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by kevin-L
My car always has the same issue when I get it aligned at the MB dealer. I've brought it back to have them make sure the steering wheel is straight, then the next time I need an alignment(which is pretty often due to the horrible roads around here), I get it back the same way. Always pointed off to the left while driving perfectly straight, even accounting for road crowning.
Yup ask for a 5 wheel alignment instead of just 4.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amg C43
My steering wheel likes boys and girls
So not straight I guess
😩😩😩😩
damn English
Old 04-03-2023, 04:19 AM
Banned

AMG
Not sure because i never leave it on motion to check
Old 04-05-2023, 08:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MaverickC43
So not straight I guess
😩😩😩😩
damn English

BTW OP please keep us posted.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:37 PM

Received 310 Likes on 236 Posts
C43
So not straight I guess
😩😩😩😩
damn English
Beat you to that one, just with more subtlety. ​​​​​​
Old 04-05-2023, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Amg C43
Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
Beat you to that one, just with more subtlety. ​​​​​​

yes, but ain’t got nuff book learning to git wat u posted 🤣🤯🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 04-06-2023, 08:58 PM

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Not sure if you want to tackle this but if the car drives straight but the steering wheel it just off a bit, remove the steering wheel and move it just a pin over to see if that will put it straight. Just a thought so you don't have to go back and forth as most aftermarket alignment shops will do this as it might have been off when you first got the car but didn't notice. Once other thing before you do, make sure your tires are good.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Cosworth2000
Not sure if you want to tackle this but if the car drives straight but the steering wheel it just off a bit, remove the steering wheel and move it just a pin over to see if that will put it straight. Just a thought so you don't have to go back and forth as most aftermarket alignment shops will do this as it might have been off when you first got the car but didn't notice. Once other thing before you do, make sure your tires are good.
That is a good suggestion.

For what is worth, sometimes I find for some reason I am not sitting dead centre in the seat, so maybe it could be a perspective problem as in the line of sight is off making it look like it isn't straight. However, OP's paddle shifters are also higher on one side so that wouldn't had been the reason I think.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Amg C43
Bump
Old 04-09-2023, 07:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Bump
Old 04-09-2023, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Amg C43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL

I don’t know what “ bump “
means but i took a bad pic and didn’t know how to delete it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is your steering wheel straight?