Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-17-2015, 02:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

The new C63/C63 S DOES have a true M Mode (Manual Mode)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
The new C63/C63 S DOES have a true M Mode (Manual Mode)

William Vetter confirmed this on the Private Lounge.

"The manual mode is available, however, the 'momentary manual mode' that [PDF] speak[s] of applies to the C/S/S+ modes"

"In addition to the temporary M mode accessed by clicking a shift paddle while in S+, there is an M mode for the transmission that is activated by a button on the left side of the center console."
Old 09-27-2014, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Funny, I posted on the same topic over on the W204 forum. Hasn't this been a standard feature on most autos with paddles? I remember the IS300 I owned all the way back in 2002 which had this feature with the E-Shift auto trans.

But like that car, and pretty much all other performance auto cars I've driven the last decade, it had a manual mode which would keep the transmission "locked" in manual mode to use the paddles (or in the case of the E-Shift, silly little buttons on the steering wheel).

I'm not sure where the confusion originated with this - or why Mercedes decided to individually call out and tout this "feature".

Originally Posted by GSEH88
Look at the details and you'll see that the new car will have no M mode for the auto. Using the paddles will temporarily put the gearbox into manual mode but it will default back to auto after a few minutes. That's madness to me. The M mode is the thing I use most in the car. If that's what it takes to achieve those class-leading economy and emissions figures then they can keep it. I want a fully manual mode please!
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
You're confusing this with a temporary manual mode that is triggered automatically when the paddles are used when in auto mode. Every modern BMW and Audi I've driven has had this feature - click the paddle while in auto and it will give you temporary paddle control. When you stop using the paddles, it will revert back to auto. However, once you switch into the manual setting, the transmission stays and does not revert back to auto.

The C63 and C63S has a dedicated "M" button that keeps the transmission in manual mode as long as it's engaged:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6180408
Old 09-27-2014, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Funny, I posted on the same topic over on the W204 forum. Hasn't this been a standard feature on most autos with paddles? I remember the IS300 I owned all the way back in 2002 which had this feature with the E-Shift auto trans.

But like that car, and pretty much all other performance auto cars I've driven the last decade, it had a manual mode which would keep the transmission "locked" in manual mode to use the paddles (or in the case of the E-Shift, silly little buttons on the steering wheel).

I'm not sure where the confusion originated with this - or why Mercedes decided to individually call out and tout this "feature".

Thanks for posting! I think the confusion was caused by the explicit mentioning of the temporary manual mode that can be activated with each of the three automatic settings.

There was a member in the W205 forum that was freaking about the temporary M mode (he was thinking that there was no full M (Manual) Mode).

The info. from the Private Lounge, in conjunction with the outstanding photo you posted, has put that concern to rest.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by zibby43
Thanks for posting! I think the confusion was caused by the explicit mentioning of the temporary manual mode that can be activated with each of the three automatic settings.

There was a member in the W205 forum that was freaking about the temporary M mode (he was thinking that there was no full M (Manual) Mode).

The info. from the Private Lounge, in conjunction with the outstanding photo you posted, has put that concern to rest.
Yea, I can see how it was confusing. Calling out a "temporary M" mode in a press release as if it's a new feature is baffling. Why bother mentioning something that has been standard in the industry for a long time...

"The “temporary M” function, activated by using the paddles, delivers a further increase in dynamics."

Ah, I see. It further increases... dynamics. Marketing fluff.

Obviously glad there is a real manual mode, but to be honest this "temporary M" or "momentary manual mode" stuff is not even worth mentioning.

Which cars with auto trans and paddles don't already have this standard?

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 09-27-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
BMW's have done this for awhile. If you're in D or DS mode, a pull of the paddle will put the car into manual mode for a set period of time, then it will default again to D or DS.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.

I hope the car remembers what mode the exhaust is in when you turn it off. It will probably default to flaps closed. Putting it into sport each and every time you turn the car off would be annoying.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Interesting tidbit on the exhaust system:

"From typical AMG to restrained, the sound of the AMG Performance exhaust system fully adapts to the currently selected transmission mode by means of three variably adjustable exhaust flaps. The driver can also change the sound characteristics at the press of a button. This optional extra allows a maximum spread of the sound, from comfortable to highly emotive.

Two additional exhaust flaps allow for even greater differentiation of the sound characteristics. The sound characteristics are dependent on the currently selected transmission mode – from full-sounding in transmission modes C and S to emphatically sporty in transmission modes S+ and Race. Control is by means of a variably adjustable exhaust flap – without loss of power. Control of the exhaust flaps is dependent on both engine speed and load, guaranteeing a 100% power delivery. If desired, the cold start noise can be reduced in transmission modes C and S. A blip on the throttle (in S) and a misfire (in S+ and Race) emphasize the sporty characteristics of the particular transmission modes."

Sounds like the car can remember settings if you can reduce cold start noise in C and S.

Along with Comfort, S, S+ and R (in the S), there's an "Individual" mode. I haven't seen much info on it, but it seems it's a customized mode that you can configure and save. It sounds like a great feature to have and will be even better if in fact these settings are saved. Not having to fiddle and setup everything each time you start up would be really convenient.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV

"From typical AMG to restrained, the sound of the AMG Performance exhaust system fully adapts to the currently selected transmission mode by means of three variably adjustable exhaust flaps. The driver can also change the sound characteristics at the press of a button. This optional extra allows a maximum spread of the sound, from comfortable to highly emotive.

Two additional exhaust flaps allow for even greater differentiation of the sound characteristics. The sound characteristics are dependent on the currently selected transmission mode – from full-sounding in transmission modes C and S to emphatically sporty in transmission modes S+ and Race. Control is by means of a variably adjustable exhaust flap – without loss of power. Control of the exhaust flaps is dependent on both engine speed and load, guaranteeing a 100% power delivery. If desired, the cold start noise can be reduced in transmission modes C and S. A blip on the throttle (in S) and a misfire (in S+ and Race) emphasize the sporty characteristics of the particular transmission modes."

Sounds like the car can remember settings if you can reduce cold start noise in C and S.

Along with Comfort, S, S+ and R (in the S), there's an "Individual" mode. I haven't seen much info on it, but it seems it's a customized mode that you can configure and save. It sounds like a great feature to have and will be even better if in fact these settings are saved. Not having to fiddle and setup everything each time you start up would be really convenient.
Very interesting indeed! The technology in this car is really something else. Much more customizable than the W204.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.

Alex, you are awesome! Thanks for this! The info about the AMG Performance exhaust has me excited!