Sponsored by:

C63 or new Skyline GTR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by chiphomme
Oh please. The Z06 weighs 20% less an has more power. Sorry but a little better traction isn't going to make up for that.

The Z06 is American and the American's haven't built a decent car since the 1930's, of course the GTR is better, just like in the 60's and 70's all those muscle cars were good for was 1/4 miles they couldn't handle or brake anywhere near as good as anything out of Europe, same as the GTR v Z06, the GTR is gonna have better brakes and handling which will more than make up for a slight lack of straightline speed. The GTR has a lot more tuning potential than any Corvette has, I bet next week the Jap tuners will have some serious upgrades launched.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:16 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by crazjayz
If this is going to be anything like the R34, then everyone should know that the HP/TQ number stated by Nissan are low. The R34 was stated at 270hp, but when dyno'd it would show closer to 320hp. I do realize that it was stated at 270 due to the "gentleman's" agreement in Japan, but still, Nissan may have been a bit conservative with their numbers here.

Secondly, as far as aftermarket goes, everything seems good to go, EXCEPT for turbo mods. Since the has a special manifold and placement, swaping it out for something larger/more powerful is going to be a problem.
That was back in the day when the Japs were not supposed to proiduce cars with more than 320bhp, that silly rule is no longer in force so I believe the GTR has what they say it has, no more no less. It's an interesting car, however if I had the money I'd be waiting for the new RS4, that's gonna be sensational.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:06 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by KiwiRobbie
The Z06 is American and the American's haven't built a decent car since the 1930's, of course the GTR is better, just like in the 60's and 70's all those muscle cars were good for was 1/4 miles they couldn't handle or brake anywhere near as good as anything out of Europe, same as the GTR v Z06, the GTR is gonna have better brakes and handling which will more than make up for a slight lack of straightline speed. The GTR has a lot more tuning potential than any Corvette has, I bet next week the Jap tuners will have some serious upgrades launched.

I don't like Corvettes but thats a silly statement. Z06s have been nothing but praised in their all around performance. And by the time the GTR hits the US an even more potent 'vette will be close to release (600+ HP).
Old 11-18-2007, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by Jspeed
Wow, AWD? Is this for the C63 estate?
I haven't heard about estate, have you? Share your information sources.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:10 PM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
I don't like Corvettes but thats a silly statement. Z06s have been nothing but praised in their all around performance. And by the time the GTR hits the US an even more potent 'vette will be close to release (600+ HP).
Praised in the US motoring press but panned in the European and Australian press. About 600hp will be about the max you wll get easily from a vette without throwing silly money at it, I know two people with GTR's that have over 700hp, an R32 and and R34, it was achieved easily, and didn't cost silly money. 600 hp in the R35 will probably only require remap of the ECU.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
GTR has 4 seats, so it can be a decision maker for some people who can sacrifice in 100 ponies to do not buy an extra car.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Praised in the US motoring press but panned in the European and Australian press. About 600hp will be about the max you wll get easily from a vette without throwing silly money at it, I know two people with GTR's that have over 700hp, an R32 and and R34, it was achieved easily, and didn't cost silly money. 600 hp in the R35 will probably only require remap of the ECU.

Its suppose to be in the 650 range. And are you seriously doubting the Z06s performance prowess? It's a monster. It'll run in a straight line with an SL65 and a 911 GT3 and Turbo on the track.
As far as the Euro press panning it youre wrong again. The Brits loved it.
Evo gave it the 2006 car of the Year, Fifth Gear loved it, and so did Top Gear(aside from Jeremys anti American bias)
Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 AM

996 C4, previously owned 996 c2, c32 amg, 350z, R33 GTR, R34 GTR
Its suppose to be in the 650 range. And are you seriously doubting the Z06s performance prowess? It's a monster. It'll run in a straight line with an SL65 and a 911 GT3 and Turbo on the track.
As far as the Euro press panning it youre wrong again. The Brits loved it.
Evo gave it the 2006 car of the Year, Fifth Gear loved it, and so did Top Gear(aside from Jeremys anti American bias)
You dont see any in the uk because you can probably get a GT3 for a bit more...no contest
Old 11-19-2007, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
If you want a car that's really fast on the track and will kill just about anything this side of a full blown racecar why **** around with a C63 or a GTR get a Caterham CSR or Superlight R500. If you want something a little more civilised wait for the KTM.
The slogan for the GT-R is "anywhere, anytime, anyone." Its not meant to be a full blown racecar. It is a car similiar to a 997TT. Nice interior, tons of features, adjustable suspension for bumpy roads, awd for all weather, etc. It is a car that is meant to kick everyone's *** but allows for a nice cruise when you're not in the mood. Similiar to AMG's or M cars, just less luxury and refinement and more sport.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:02 PM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
The slogan for the GT-R is "anywhere, anytime, anyone." Its not meant to be a full blown racecar. It is a car similiar to a 997TT. Nice interior, tons of features, adjustable suspension for bumpy roads, awd for all weather, etc. It is a car that is meant to kick everyone's *** but allows for a nice cruise when you're not in the mood. Similiar to AMG's or M cars, just less luxury and refinement and more sport.

Yup that's the car they have released this year but it is not what the GTR has always been about. Nissan have ripped up the Skylines history books and trashed what the Skyline was all about, and has always been about, they have generally been built as a performance varient of a bread and butter family car, the Skyline. If you new anything of the GTR's history you would know that up until the R32 they were all homogolated for various touring car series around the world. The R32 was released to race in the FIA world touring car championships, other cars built for that series were the original E30 M3, the Ford Serria RS5000 & RS500 Cosworth, the Holden Commodore SS Group A, Rover SDi Vitesse and a few others.

If you ever make it to NZ or Australia you will see hundreds of GTR's of all varities, they are pretty cheap and are the weapon of choice for teenage boyracers along with EVO's, WRX's, STi's and other cheap jap turbo cars that you can get big BHP for not much cash.

I my opinion Nissan have dumped the great tradition of the Skyline GTR in a mad race to move the car upmarket, I don't like it, it's not a real Skyline GTR it's something else altogether, Nissan would be better of calling it something else and building a real Skyline GTR.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Yup that's the car they have released this year but it is not what the GTR has always been about. Nissan have ripped up the Skylines history books and trashed what the Skyline was all about, and has always been about, they have generally been built as a performance varient of a bread and butter family car, the Skyline. If you new anything of the GTR's history you would know that up until the R32 they were all homogolated for various touring car series around the world. The R32 was released to race in the FIA world touring car championships, other cars built for that series were the original E30 M3, the Ford Serria RS5000 & RS500 Cosworth, the Holden Commodore SS Group A, Rover SDi Vitesse and a few others.

If you ever make it to NZ or Australia you will see hundreds of GTR's of all varities, they are pretty cheap and are the weapon of choice for teenage boyracers along with EVO's, WRX's, STi's and other cheap jap turbo cars that you can get big BHP for not much cash.

I my opinion Nissan have dumped the great tradition of the Skyline GTR in a mad race to move the car upmarket, I don't like it, it's not a real Skyline GTR it's something else altogether, Nissan would be better of calling it something else and building a real Skyline GTR.

Thats exactly what they did! It is not a Skyline anymore. That name has gone to the Infiniti G series.

This car is the "Nissan GT-R" not the Skyline GT-R.

Its code is R35 but it is no longer in the Skyline family. Its something completely different. They obviously were influenced by the past, awd, 6cyl twin turbo, awd, 2 door 4 seater. But the major changes are:
- No all wheel steering
- No traditional manual
- No more inline 6 (RB26DETT)
- Unique platform (premium midship)
- 200 more horsepower
- Price
- And much more
Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by ash-c32
You dont see any in the uk because you can probably get a GT3 for a bit more...no contest

I don't know how much they go for there but in the US the GT3 is over $100K and the Z06 is around $70K. The Z06 is every bit as fast as the GT3.

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/d...aptimes_ss.pdf

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-911-gt3.html
Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I say if you are looking for a 4dr then the chose will be a C63 but if it don't matter then the GTR is the better choice I had written before I prefer the C63 but after further research thought that for the $$$$ the GTR is way better if you don't require a sedan.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
I don't know how much they go for there but in the US the GT3 is over $100K and the Z06 is around $70K. The Z06 is every bit as fast as the GT3.

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/d...aptimes_ss.pdf

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-911-gt3.html

But and its a big but the GT3 works like a charm on UK and European roads whereas the Z06 is better left over where it belongs
Old 11-19-2007, 06:22 PM

SLK55, Mustang 480hp, CBR600rr

Yeah, the GT-40 was only good for 1/4 in the 60s and 70s.

A lot more tuning potential? The Z06 doesn't even have a power adder yet vs. the GTR. Oh and the GT-R weighs over 650lbs more than the Z06.

Not that I am a Z06 fan or chevy even for that matter, but keep it real.

Pp

Last edited by Ppower; 11-19-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
But and its a big but the GT3 works like a charm on UK and European roads whereas the Z06 is better left over where it belongs
What does that mean?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
What does that mean?
I think he is referring to the fact the GT3 is smaller (so fits small British b-roads) and also has more compliant suspension than the Z06 due to PASM.

I would agree that the GT3 is a superior machine, even if it is a little slower in a straightline. However, I don't really understand Kiwis style of posting.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 PM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by Ppower

Yeah, the GT-40 was only good for 1/4 in the 60s and 70s.

A lot more tuning potential? The Z06 doesn't even have a power adder yet vs. the GTR. Oh and the GT-R weighs over 650lbs more than the Z06.

Not that I am a Z06 fan or chevy even for that matter, but keep it real.

Pp
And your point is? The only thing American about the GT40 was the engine in the back and the badge on the front. Being a car person you surely must know that the GT40 was built in England by Lola and based on the design of the Lola Mk6.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
I think he is referring to the fact the GT3 is smaller (so fits small British b-roads) and also has more compliant suspension than the Z06 due to PASM.

I would agree that the GT3 is a superior machine, even if it is a little slower in a straightline. However, I don't really understand Kiwis style of posting.

I don't quite buy that. So Ferraris, Bimmers, and Mercs aren't that great for Europeans roads either? They build cars every bit as "big" as the 3200lbs Z06.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
That was back in the day when the Japs were not supposed to proiduce cars with more than 320bhp, that silly rule is no longer in force so I believe the GTR has what they say it has, no more no less. It's an interesting car, however if I had the money I'd be waiting for the new RS4, that's gonna be sensational.
It was 276 hp, and it was a "gentleman's agreement," not a rule.

Since you are partial to the past models, I thought your info regarding them should be accurate.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
It was 276 hp, and it was a "gentleman's agreement," not a rule.

Since you are partial to the past models, I thought your info regarding them should be accurate.
Correct.

Though the Skyline GT-R's were giving dyno numbers that reflected closer to 320bhp.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Well, now it seems like I'm not getting the GT-R. Lol, dishonest dealership pulling a quick one.

For anyone interested, you can read the whole thing here http://www.nagtroc.com/forums/index....pic=20555&st=0
check out my posts, the last one in on the last page, page 4. That was the end result...

Oh well lol

Back to my German family
Old 11-20-2007, 02:16 PM

SLK55, Mustang 480hp, CBR600rr
And your point is? The only thing American about the GT40 was the engine in the back and the badge on the front. Being a car person you surely must know that the GT40 was built in England by Lola and based on the design of the Lola Mk6.
yeah, and what's so euro about Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo(oh they are owned by Ford hmm), Lamborghini(which at one time was owned by Chyrsler)...etc. Then there was Cosworth which was owned by Ford at one time too, which uses the Ford Inline-4 Duratec for motor.

Or Mazda(oops Ford again).

Opel...owned by Chevy....

Isuzu...chevy owns part of and used to have controlling ownership of.

So what's your point again about American cars are so bad and foreign ones so good...specially when so many American companies either own or have interest in the other car companies.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM

It was Car and Driver that tested and posts 3.9 0-60 and 12.3@116mph for deese C63's AMGEEEEES
Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I don't quite buy that. So Ferraris, Bimmers, and Mercs aren't that great for Europeans roads either? They build cars every bit as "big" as the 3200lbs Z06.
It's not just the size, it's the ride quality. The fact the Z06 rides so harshly hamstrings it on uneven pavement. I have vast experience driving in Europe having lived there for 22 years and even cars like S-line Audis and sport packaged BMWs struggle and bounce their tires clear of the road. Manufacturers have realized this so have input more compliance into even their new high performance models. ie. B7 RS4, E90 M3.

As regards size, a well driven Evo VI is quicker than say an F430 from A-B on a backroad as the Ferrari is simply too wide. Place them on a wide open road though and of course the oposite is true.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C63 or new Skyline GTR?