Why no talk of Audi S5 here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by TopGun32
Unless the put the S6 V10.. the 4.2 V8 just does not interest me.
No V10 for the S4/S5 platform.

Have you driven the 4.2FSI V8 in its RS4 form? The engine pulls from anywhere, revs to the stratosphere and reacts immediately to throttle input. That's not to mention the sound. It is a far superior unit to the detuned version of the V10 in the S6/S8.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
The S5 is indeed a pretty car but.....
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE RS3?
Now that would have been the ultimate ride
Old 11-30-2007, 05:31 AM

SL
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Only idiot of the week agrees. You're going to have to wait until Sunday but you're front runner to claim the crown.

Hmmm, maybe I should get my deposit back for the RS6. I could grab a Passat and have $100k left in change. Great fun.

i don't understand why people who hate audi have to be the idiot of the week... i think seriously u are the idiot, not me...

there are things about audi that i am not aware of... but anyhow, i am not interested to know because the cars just look cheap, ugly and plain.... for me... audi is just for those who can't afford a nice european car like mb... and if u know, i am driving sl55 and cl500... i am not really bothered to know details about cheap cars like S5....
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by phonetics
i don't understand why people who hate audi have to be the idiot of the week... i think seriously u are the idiot, not me...

there are things about audi that i am not aware of... but anyhow, i am not interested to know because the cars just look cheap, ugly and plain.... for me... audi is just for those who can't afford a nice european car like mb... and if u know, i am driving sl55 and cl500... i am not really bothered to know details about cheap cars like S5....
You could say the same about the A-Class, B-Class, C-Class Coupe, etc. Now those are cheap cars.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG

You're allowed to hate Audi and criticise the cars, but your reasoning is child-like. They're glorified VWs? They're for people who can't afford "a nice european car like MB"? That stuff betrays profound ignorance and immaturity. The fact that you drive (allegedly) two MBs will probably make people consider Audis and BMWs mroe seriously.

You want to criticize Audis? How about this:

> They do some part sharing with VW in some models (TT, A3 and to a lesser extent A4). To some extent, that's efficiency, but it undermines the sense of exclusivity.

> Audis are terminally nose-heavy due to the drivetrain architecture they've been wedded to for 20+ years. Their competitors have developed AWD systems that do not vastly alter weight distribution.

> They've had reliability problems and are clearly not as flawless as the luxury Japanese models; and the same is true of MB.

> The Audi image is not equivalent to MB; but to some people that's a plus.

Live with an Audi for a week and you'll come to realize that it's the functional equivalent of MB, and their interiors are superior in every way. If the Benz key chain is what makes you happy, then you're in love with the image and not the car.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 11-30-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
> Audis are terminally nose-heavy due to the drivetrain architecture they've been wedded to for 20+ years. Their competitors have developed AWD systems that do not vastly alter weight distribution.
Soon to be changed starting with the B8 No more nose overhang, near 50/50 weight distribution and slightly lighter!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
Soon to be changed starting with the B8 No more nose overhang, near 50/50 weight distribution and slightly lighter!
I'll believe it when I see it! They said the new A5/A4 platform would be a marked improvement. It's better, but still way nose-heavy.

I don't see why they will not build a front-engine, RWD car. The AWD concept is really not selling Audis anymore since everyone is doing it.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
I'll believe it when I see it! They said the new A5/A4 platform would be a marked improvement. It's better, but still way nose-heavy.

I don't see why they will not build a front-engine, RWD car. The AWD concept is really not selling Audis anymore since everyone is doing it.
There were some pictures comparing the current B7 to the B8. Where things line up, the engine is more behind the front axle now so that's definitely an improvement.

I agree with making a RWD but most of their numbers are built off of selling Quattro. True that everyone is doing it but Torsen is still all mechanical while others are pretty much electronically controlled AWD mechanisms. That is what sets them apart from other AWD manufacturers.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I just realized, the B8 A4 is the current A5/S5 platform. I've not seen official numbers but they're saying it's 55/45 split weight distribution. That's not bad.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Not bad at all. And also the Torsen will be 40/60 split across the lineup now so more RWD characteristics instead of the traditional 50/50 Torsen split currently (minus the S4s).
Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
Not bad at all. And also the Torsen will be 40/60 split across the lineup now so more RWD characteristics instead of the traditional 50/50 Torsen split currently (minus the S4s).
Now all they need to offer is the "AWD delete" option, to reduce the weight and further improve balance!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 AM

not stock.
agree!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
No V10 for the S4/S5 platform.

Have you driven the 4.2FSI V8 in its RS4 form? The engine pulls from anywhere, revs to the stratosphere and reacts immediately to throttle input. That's not to mention the sound. It is a far superior unit to the detuned version of the V10 in the S6/S8.
sorry no personal desire to drive an RS4. much respect to its capabilities, lap times, road course success and wonderful sound....

Maybe if it had the DSG. Other than that.. much like you.. I won't buy any Audi unless it has turbos.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
sorry no personal desire to drive an RS4. much respect to its capabilities, lap times, road course success and wonderful sound....

Maybe if it had the DSG. Other than that.. much like you.. I won't buy any Audi unless it has turbos.
A guy who owns a C32 and(or?) a C55 wants a DSG and turbos? Ironic. At least the RS4 comes with a 6 speed manual.

I think Audi's next surge will be with diesels. They've got a nice collection of modern engines in their European models, and I think people in the US are looking for better fuel efficiency. More importantly, the millions of brain-locked buyers who think of diesels as slow and smokey are dying off.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM

2007 E350 4matic Sport

Why bother posting in this thread at all if you're not interested in Audi when he subject clearly states it's Audi related?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
A guy who owns a C32 and(or?) a C55 wants a DSG and turbos? Ironic. At least the RS4 comes with a 6 speed manual.

I think Audi's next surge will be with diesels. They've got a nice collection of modern engines in their European models, and I think people in the US are looking for better fuel efficiency. More importantly, the millions of brain-locked buyers who think of diesels as slow and smokey are dying off.
Yep, recent articles have said the 3.0 TDI is coming here, will be in the A4 and Q7 I believe to start.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

E55.. no disrepct to C55 owners.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
E55.. no disrepct to C55 owners.
DOh! I love the E55. Hopefully my next car. I withdraw my remarks, your honor.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 PM

06 RS4

We're all entitled to our own opinions but given your latest comment, calling you idiot of the week is far too kind.

Anyway, i took my RS4 into the dealer recently and while i was waiting i got a chance to test drive an S5. I was quite impressed with the handling and performance.....maybe not C63 fast but definitely no slouch. I've read 0-60 times for this car at 4.5 to 4.8 sec, which felt about right. I really like this car.....audi has done a very good job with the execution of the S5. Driving the S5 and seeing it in person really changed my mind about this car.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Audi A8L 4.2 - LX470
You're allowed to hate Audi and criticise the cars, but your reasoning is child-like. They're glorified VWs? They're for people who can't afford "a nice european car like MB"? That stuff betrays profound ignorance and immaturity. The fact that you drive (allegedly) two MBs will probably make people consider Audis and BMWs mroe seriously.

You want to criticize Audis? How about this:

> They do some part sharing with VW in some models (TT, A3 and to a lesser extent A4). To some extent, that's efficiency, but it undermines the sense of exclusivity.

> They've had reliability problems and are clearly not as flawless as the luxury Japanese models; and the same is true of MB.

> The Audi image is not equivalent to MB; but to some people that's a plus.

Live with an Audi for a week and you'll come to realize that it's the functional equivalent of MB, and their interiors are superior in every way. If the Benz key chain is what makes you happy, then you're in love with the image and not the car.
DAMN!!!!! You pistol wiped the **** out of bull!!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:37 PM

SL
Originally Posted by LanuckRS4
We're all entitled to our own opinions but given your latest comment, calling you idiot of the week is far too kind.

Anyway, i took my RS4 into the dealer recently and while i was waiting i got a chance to test drive an S5. I was quite impressed with the handling and performance.....maybe not C63 fast but definitely no slouch. I've read 0-60 times for this car at 4.5 to 4.8 sec, which felt about right. I really like this car.....audi has done a very good job with the execution of the S5. Driving the S5 and seeing it in person really changed my mind about this car.

u guys can call me whatever u want in your interest.... i just said that i hate audi and that's all because it's just ugly.. the reason is as simple as that.... you can list 500 reasons why audi is a great car.... i could not care less the s5 is faster than SLR or enzo or have 8 wheel drive or equiped with a jet engine .... i still hate it just because of its looks...

no point arguing with a bunch of audi owners here anyway... why don't you guys have some fun embracing audi all you want in some audi forum.. it's not like i ll go there.... then u can avoid idiot like me who hate audi....
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
u guys can call me whatever u want in your interest.... i just said that i hate audi and that's all because it's just ugly.. the reason is as simple as that.... you can list 500 reasons why audi is a great car.... i could not care less the s5 is faster than SLR or enzo or have 8 wheel drive or equiped with a jet engine .... i still hate it just because of its looks...

no point arguing with a bunch of audi owners here anyway... why don't you guys have some fun embracing audi all you want in some audi forum.. it's not like i ll go there.... then u can avoid idiot like me who hate audi....
Becuase it's ugly? I thought it was because it was VW? Or because it was driven by people who can't afford nice cars like MB?

Again, I have no problem with criticism, if it shows some thought and validity. You're flinging poo. I'll agree that Audis are generally mild in design. But how can you say that about the original TT? Or the R8?
Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 AM

SL
Becuase it's ugly? I thought it was because it was VW? Or because it was driven by people who can't afford nice cars like MB?

Again, I have no problem with criticism, if it shows some thought and validity. You're flinging poo. I'll agree that Audis are generally mild in design. But how can you say that about the original TT? Or the R8?

R8 looks great... no doubt about it... the 'ugly' comment was just referring to A1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 series....

u happy now??
Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 AM
kip

E55
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Yeah, I know it's not as fast as the C63 but it does have several nice perks over it.

1.) Price (56k loaded)
2.) Interior (WAY nicer than the C63)
3.) Bang and Olufson Stereo (amazing sound according to reviews)
4.) Standard 19" Wheels
5.) Manual Transmission (automatic option coming shortly)

These are just the top 5 advantages I can think of the S5 has over the C63 and I'm sure I could come up with 5 which the C63 has OVER the S5. I'm just curious to know what everyone else thinks... I have setup a test drive tonight at an Audi dealer near me to see how this car behaves. I sat inside it a few days ago but that dealer would not let me take it out for a drive.

So far, it has been tested at 4.8sec 0-60 and 13.2sec in the quarter. Pretty much C55 numbers. Like I said before, it's no C63 in a straight line but there is so much more to consider and #1 for me is PRICE. 70k for a c-class is going to be tough to swallow.

Thoughts?
The s5 can only be compared to the BMW 335i and MB 350. There is no comparison to the C63...

The RS5 would be a different story.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
R8 looks great... no doubt about it... the 'ugly' comment was just referring to A1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 series....

u happy now??
I don't find the A3/4/6/8s to be very attractive either; but they're pretty much on par with their corresponding Benz model. Very safe styling. Uninspired. Noncontroversial.

The A5 is attractive, and actually looks a lot like BMW (as will the new A4).

None of the Audis (or MBs) are as butt-ugly as the Bangle-era BMWs.

I'm always happy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why no talk of Audi S5 here?