Sponsored by:

How about a C42 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200TCDI Sports Edition
How about a C42 AMG

Bugger the C63 it's a great car but who wants a car with a range of just 180- 200 miles not me for sure, what I think would be interesting is if Mercedes stuffed the 4.2 V8 diesel in it with a few mods. Standard this engine has 230kw it wouldn't be too hard to get another 30-40kw for an AMG, with the mountains of torque it would develope it would be an interesting proposition plus you should be able to manage 350 to 400 miles on a full tank.

With the way the market is in Europe it's only a matter of time before a true performance diesel from AMG, quattro gmbh, BMW Motorsport, Porsche.......arrives to save us from the boring diesel hell Europe has become
Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
This actually sounds like a really sick idea i like it. I just wonder what it would sound like?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Well AMG did make a diesel C class according to their website...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
I just wonder what it would sound like?
like a really fast tractor
Old 12-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Any diesel is an aural contraceptive.

I went out in my friends diesel the other day and it went from 50-70mph like that (snaps fingers) but it sounded like a megamixer and there was absolutely no excitement. On the other hand when I am pootling along with the V8 in my C43 with it's woofle and I gently press my Sprintboosted throttle and that slightly harder edge starts to appear it encourages me to really go for it. A diesel just tends to make you lazy. Go, go quicker, go, go slower, stop. Yawn.

On the otherhand that cannot be said of the BMW 6 cyl M3 engine, no torque but you just want to mash it. Everywhere. So even a Beemer is better than a diesel

When a diesel can produce a childish grin on the face of a man who should have outgrown such antics years ago then it will get my vote. Till then it should be left for accountants.

Regards

Andy

PS A range of 180 miles just means you get to stand filling up the best car in the petrol station with a smug smile on your face more often. It also gives you the chance to admire your steed as you stand for payment and do "the swagger" back to it as well.....
Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 PM

90 300E, 03 E55 Black designo, 06 IWC CLS55
Originally Posted by KiwiRobbie
Bugger the C63 it's a great car but who wants a car with a range of just 180- 200 miles not me for sure, what I think would be interesting is if Mercedes stuffed the 4.2 V8 diesel in it with a few mods. Standard this engine has 230kw it wouldn't be too hard to get another 30-40kw for an AMG, with the mountains of torque it would develope it would be an interesting proposition plus you should be able to manage 350 to 400 miles on a full tank.

With the way the market is in Europe it's only a matter of time before a true performance diesel from AMG, quattro gmbh, BMW Motorsport, Porsche.......arrives to save us from the boring diesel hell Europe has become

Robbie how about the 335d BMW. That is very impressive. Plenty torque and its 0-60mph is in the 5 second range I believe..See a few of those around London. Still AUDI have their V12 diesel running in the LeMans races. Only a matter of time till they put it in a street car. Thing is I really dislike the sound of the diesels. I mean REALLY.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by SAMM
Thing is I really dislike the sound of the diesels. I mean REALLY.
+1

I really hate the sound of diesel. Maybe they can design a special resenator/muffler for that, but until they do, I think it will still be a limiting sales factor
Old 12-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Altima
Wait... where is this 200-mile range figure coming from? Is it seriously that bad?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:34 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Yup from what I have read it is really that bad, what were you expecting huge motor, not very big tank equals not a lot of distance between fillups.

The 335d is the bomb, Mercedes need something as good so why not do a AMG C42 CDI. Audi have won Le Mans twice with a diesel, Peugeot are also running a diesel, Seat are racing a Toledo TDi in the European and World Touring Car Championships, diesel is where it's at in Europe right now so why not give us a kickarse high performance CDI C class.

With the mountains of torque a tuned 4.2 CDI would give you it should be easily as quick as the C63. In my opinion it's a no brainer.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:39 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
+1

I really hate the sound of diesel. Maybe they can design a special resenator/muffler for that, but until they do, I think it will still be a limiting sales factor

Maybe the sound puts people of in the US but not in Europe, besides once warmed up the noise goes away and they run very quietly. I have read that diesels accounted for nealy 60% of new registrations in Europe this year. In Norway diesels make up over 95% of new vehicle sales, when I bought my C class CDI in August the dealer told me he hadn't sold a single new petrol powered Mercedes up to that point. A high performance Mercedes CDI must be on the cards for Europe sometime soon.