Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
C63 Speed Channel Show now viewable online

AMG Test Drive on Speed Channel C63

You'll need Windows Media Player to watch it while they encode to flash. Once encoded, you'll need Flash to view of course.

Enjoy
Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like the other members I was really unimpressed with the show as compared to the M3 challenge deal, and that's even though I'm a fan of PT
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Like the other members I was really unimpressed with the show as compared to the M3 challenge deal, and that's even though I'm a fan of PT
Like the other members i would say shut up... i was impressed!

Thanks for sharing!! Great Vid!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Can anyone tell me what that grey color was? Looked very nice! is it Tenorite Grey Metallic?

great review, I ordered my C63 with performance pakage too!

Last edited by BoBcanada; 04-17-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
AMG Test Drive on Speed Channel C63

You'll need Windows Media Player to watch it while they encode to flash. Once encoded, you'll need Flash to view of course.

Enjoy
Thanks for posting that. I was certainly curious. It was very boring and disappointing. They offered so little for someone who might want to buy the car.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
That whole beginning on ice was lame. They could have covered that in 5 minutes.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I liked it but honestly after what seemed like 15 mins, the sliding got a bit old.

Okayyyyy, okay, they slide good sideways!!

Last edited by Jakpro1; 04-17-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 EVO 8 612whp(sold) 2005 c55 amg R35 GTR
so where can i get one of those amg front plates?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
What a bad-assss ride!

Just the sound alone I think would sell me on the C63...

amazing

thx for sharing
Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Finally watched the whole thing today. I've never seen a more boring show on such a hot car. I mean this was a complete waste of an hour.

M
Old 04-18-2008, 03:09 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
wow, cool video! I wonder if they've got that lil lip for the w203 during winters

-j0hn
Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 AM

CLK 500(Gone), C63 FTW!
Originally Posted by Holson
What a bad-assss ride!

Just the sound alone I think would sell me on the C63...

amazing

thx for sharing
That's exactly my SINGLE reason, I choose C63 over IS-F
Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
one of our board members was in that video being interviewed hahah
Old 04-18-2008, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by norb
That whole beginning on ice was lame. They could have covered that in 5 minutes.
Agreed. I fell asleep halfway through it. Too boring for me. But the C63 exhaust note helped.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
I would've turned it off, but knew that they had to really start talking about the car once they quit showing the same 5 drifting clips over and over again...

I should've turned it off.

What happened to an hour on the most powerful C-Class ever...
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 PM

08 E63
I gotta tell you I am really confused why everyone thought this was so boring. I may be a little biased because I attended the event but for all the talk on this site particular this thread about how this car would handle on the track, handling compared to the competition, if you actually listen to what they are saying during the winter sporting event portion you would see that showing this car off driving on ice really did exploit the handling and show the responsiveness of this car. This was not drifting pulling the e break this was learning advanced concepts of driving and how to use weight transfer and throttle control to maneuver the car around the different driving circles. While the tires were spiked if you could not finesse the throttle, utilize quick hand reactionary for steering input not primary input your into the snow banks.

I think it was Paul Tracy who said he would actually love to see someone use this car in an American race series. One part that you only saw bits and pieces of is the road course portion, this part really put the 7 speed gear box to the test. While obviously you did not get up to 7th, but having quick shifts made all the difference in the world in making it through the circuit in quick times. Go back and watch the scenes with Reiny and Denny showing their hands while they were driving...for the true track drivers and people not just worried about 0-60 times I really can not see how you could not appreciate the first part of the show..cheesy commentary aside..if you understand how you were getting this car to behave in this environment watch the portion of the show is really amazing. I know Denny is on this board and riding with him was absolutely amazing he is a phenomenal driver.

Tommy gets paid to drive all kinds of cars in all kinds of environments and when we were in Sweden he said he would pay to attend this event
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Hey Jakpro

thanks for the link -sorry I looked so lame!!!!

Hi Shelley

Great to hear from you, and many thanks on the props for my driving. I had a blast with you in Arjeplog and I suspect that I will see you there next year. I have a bunch of friends coming over for 2009. Bye the way, I got my first SCCA win at VIR four weeks ago. Long time coming. And PS – its Danny – not Denny! No harm done.

With regard to this and the other similar thread on the AMG C63 form, Shelley, I do see where the negative comments are coming from. They are not directed at the Winter Sporting event, but at the way the car was showcased. Of course as car fanatics, we all want comparisons, true hard comparative data, and we want the negative comments along with the positive. But in reality all we all know that the Speed Test Drives are advertorials in a way. We all know that. And it really isn’t the venue for a comparison or shootout. It’s a way to showcase the car to a wider audience.

I personally think Tommy and his team did a great job. I liked the Fire and Ice concept – absolutely unique – never seen anything like it before and it did a great job of covering the extremes, something that us car nuts love. And it really is cool when MB gets behind its AMG brand and shows the cars being tracked as hard as possible. I mean that’s worth a huge amount right there.

But the biggest issue with the show was that it is really difficult to convey the excitement and uniqueness of the AMG Winter Sporting event on video, especially with the limited amount of video gear they were restricted to for their shoot. You really need overhead shots to get the sensation of speed and drama. From the stationary mounted cameras it’s just not possible to show it with a landscape that’s so uniform. You need to see trees or distinctive landscape whizzing by the car’s windows to get the sensation of speed. Even when I was shown driving the C63, drifting through the corners, there was little outside the car to show its speed, and how close we were to burying it in the snow bank.

But guys, and this goes out to everyone that might just possibly like these C63’s or any of the AMG vehicles just a teensie weenie little bit. Let me set the record straight for y’all. I raced motocross and supercross at a national level back in South Africa where Greg Albertyn and I were team mates. I have done 6 or 7 AMG challenge events (winning several outright), and have raced Panoz, NASA and SCCA events. But in all sincerity, being sideways for four days on ice was one of the most satisfying experiences I have ever had behind the wheel (or bars).

It is absolutely, without doubt, the best investment in my personal motoring enjoyment I have ever made. It made me, and will make you, a much better driver for sure.

The experience in Arjeplog was breathtaking. Absolute pristine beauty, surreal conditions of slippery ice and more horsepower than you could imagine. And that amazing C63 exhaust note (worth buying car just for that alone). I was in the snow bank within the first two minutes we got there! TWICE! And I came from a sideways dirt track background growing up in South Africa.

But as the event went on the control came, the speeds went up, way up and by the end we were getting fast. Damn fast. How about four consecutive circles of the large drift circle on the rev limiter in 4th gear, sometimes in 5thcrossed up with the steering wheel lock to lock for the entire time just finessing with the throttle. I have no idea how fast we were going due to the slippage, but I can tell you I have never drifted at that speed anywhere.

Not having trees, lampposts, cars, buildings and pedestrians to smack into was so liberating. Everyone should get the opportunity to drift wish such abandon and lack of consequences.

Someone commented how lame the giggling was. And I know it was directed at the Fire aspect of the show, but HEY DUDE - if you are a car nut and if the performance you are experiencing completely assaults your senses and absolutely exceeds your expectations, you WILL giggle like a schoolkid. That’s a given!

If you are not laughing hysterically at times, then there is something wrong with you, or you are just not going fast enough!!!!

I am a proud giggler, especially when I save it in an impossible situation. You just have to see my in-car camera footage from some of the PRO-IT races I have done. And yes, I, and many other car nuts just like me, giggle when we are having fun.

As for the car, that little C63 rocked my world. Unfortunately I did not get time to wring it out on tarmac, but I do look forward to the opportunity. I do believe that this little gem will earn its stripes in a really short time. I think that for the first time the M3 is going to really struggle in its market segment.

And in closing, I just like to say how much I enjoy this forum and the range of views and interests expressed here. It makes my day really enjoyable.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Were you the southern sounding dude??

That's pretty darn cool!!

Not lame at all, just the sliding footage they played over and over and over.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Were you the southern sounding dude??

That's pretty darn cool!!

Not lame at all, just the sliding footage they played over and over and over.
Nope I am the South African dude - so yes Southern but way more Southern that I think you were referring to (that was Ed). I am the nut wearing the black and white prison shirt with blue and white Sparco driving gloves with the ***** eating grin - you know - the guy who says "that was more *** than class!"

PS Jakpro1 - I have been lurking and watching your project with real interest - takes huge gonads to do what you are doing - congratulations on the results - looking forward to seeing the 1/4mile times on motor!

Last edited by siswati; 04-22-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
That's probably one of the best sounding stock exhausts from Mercedes, the 65 AMGs soundtrack is still my most favorite.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
That's probably one of the best sounding stock exhausts from Mercedes, the 65 AMGs soundtrack is still my most favorite.

I think SL63 beats them all.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=XEU8WfcBl7w <--- fast forward to 2:00 and listen.

Last edited by BoBcanada; 04-22-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by BoBcanada

No way thats stock, or that camera had a really really sensitive mic
Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Murtaza
No way thats stock, or that camera had a really really sensitive mic

it is

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvLT_...eature=related

I like this one lol
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EST7YDFD-WA

Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Originally Posted by BoBcanada

Nice find, thanks for the link, it's a very nice sounding piece. I wish they don't have the Linkin Park BGM when it was being driven on the curvy road. I want to hear the car more.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
Nice find, thanks for the link, it's a very nice sounding piece. I wish they don't have the Linkin Park BGM when it was being driven on the curvy road. I want to hear the car more.
Ask and you shall recive.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdbx3iocdG4

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=iz37EleMqAM

BONUS C63 donuts.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=lU10I2...eature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=oolSHT...eature=related

Last edited by BoBcanada; 04-22-2008 at 10:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 Speed Channel Show now viewable online