C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

One Man One Engine??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
One Man One Engine??

As the thread says the philosophy is One Man One Engine but does anyone know how many Engineers there are at AMG building engines?

The reason i ask is i currently have the local MB Demo C63, my sister has a SLK55.

The names on mine, my sisters and the Demo cars engines are all different and just made me wonder, how many Engineers are there and do they build the engine in batches, as from reading the site here i can see that the C63 engine is different from that fitted to the CLK, S an SL etc.

Any info appreciated cheers.

Might be interesting to run a Poll with who built my engine providing of course there aren't 100's of Names of engineers to click through?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:38 AM

08 AMG C63
Answer

I got these info from a MB AMG 40th Anniversary Magazine from Japan

There are around 50 mans working in factory.
Size of the factory is around 40,000 m2

Times it take to build :

V8 - 2 hrs 15 mins
V8 S/C - 7 hrs
V12 - 5 hrs

Around 100 units produce each day.

Just want to say Hi to everyone. I have register for a few months already this is my first reply. I live in Australia and four more weeks I will be a proud AMG owner of a white C63.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 SL55 '00 S281SC '09 C63
Believe there are exactly 50 at this time - more information on AMG's website.

Visited Affalterbach a few weeks ago and was able to see the process. The 6.2's are all built by the junior builders, with each engineer following a U-shaped pattern with their trolley stopping at each station to scan and add parts, and also perform tests on their motor. On the 6.2 line, each builder is averaging something like 1.5 motors a shift (they begin on that unfinished motor next shift) They are currently running two shifts on the 6.2 line. If any motor fails a test - it is the tech's responsibility to return to whatever stations they need to and break down the motor to solve the issue.

More senior builders build the 5.5's and 5.5K's in the rear build room. The most senior builders are upstairs building the V12 bi-turbos and the motors for the SLR. Sometimes, the senior builders are called downstairs to help the younger guys in meeting production numbers or solving issues.. obviously the most senior guys are experienced and approved to build any motor in production.

From there, motors are sent to inventory storage, where they keep about 1000 motors in stock. They are pulled from that location for production.

Sorry to be long-winded - but the visit to AMG was great and our guide was really informed. Anyone serious about the product should try to take a trip out at some point.. well worth it.

JS
'03 C32 (sold)
'03 SL55
'07 E63 (sold)
'00 S281SC
Old 06-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by (ZO)
Times it take to build :

V8 - 2 hrs 15 mins
V8 S/C - 7 hrs
V12 - 5 hrs

Maybe my memory is off regarding the time to build the 6.2.. sorry.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by Yoballs83

Visited Affalterbach a few weeks ago and was able to see the process. The 6.2's are all built by the junior builders, with each engineer following a U-shaped pattern with their trolley stopping at each station to scan and add parts, and also perform tests on their motor. On the 6.2 line, each builder is averaging something like 1.5 motors a shift (they begin on that unfinished motor next shift) They are currently running two shifts on the 6.2 line. If any motor fails a test - it is the tech's responsibility to return to whatever stations they need to and break down the motor to solve the issue.

More senior builders build the 5.5's and 5.5K's in the rear build room. The most senior builders are upstairs building the V12 bi-turbos and the motors for the SLR. Sometimes, the senior builders are called downstairs to help the younger guys in meeting production numbers or solving issues.. obviously the most senior guys are experienced and approved to build any motor in production.

From there, motors are sent to inventory storage, where they keep about 1000 motors in stock. They are pulled from that location for production.

Sorry to be long-winded - but the visit to AMG was great and our guide was really informed. Anyone serious about the product should try to take a trip out at some point.. well worth it.

JS
'03 C32 (sold)
'03 SL55
'07 E63 (sold)
'00 S281SC
Wow, that is really great info. I would love to see the factory.

My 6.2 was built by Dirk Peters.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM

2001 Ford Lightning/2003 Mustang Cobra
Wow that is great info..thanks!
Old 06-28-2008, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Wow, that is really great info. I would love to see the factory.

My 6.2 was built by Dirk Peters.
hahaha Dirk Peters...

Thats awesome!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:14 PM

09 C63
Believe there are exactly 50 at this time......

Visited Affalterbach a few weeks ago.......
Who believes there are just 50 and who visited Affalterbach last week? Was it you?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by AMGBeleza
Who believes there are just 50 and who visited Affalterbach last week? Was it you?

Yeah, me. I was in Affalterbach in May, not last week.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned

German
great info!

I always wondered, if the engine builders make enough money to afford the cars that they build...
Old 06-28-2008, 05:47 PM

09 C63
Yeah, me. I was in Affalterbach in May, not last week.
Awesome, that sounds really good. I'll be driving by when I pick up my C63 in October. I might just stop by Affalterbach on the way home, it sounds really great. There is a neat video on the AMG website of one of the builders putting together an AMG engine. I'd love to do that.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by AMGBeleza
Awesome, that sounds really good. I'll be driving by when I pick up my C63 in October. I might just stop by Affalterbach on the way home, it sounds really great. There is a neat video on the AMG website of one of the builders putting together an AMG engine. I'd love to do that.
Definitely check it out. The performance studio is impressive too - you'll see anything and everything in there. Affalterbach is not the easiest to get to by car, but it seems like you are living in Germany and will have GPS so hopefully its easier for you. My map was not all that informative and I asked for directions close to 10 times.

PM me if you have any questions or need help setting things up but again, it should be a lot easier to set up your visit since you are doing factory delivery.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:47 AM

C63 AMG

JS
'03 C32 (sold)
'03 SL55
'07 E63 (sold)
'00 S281SC
Cheers for the info, relatively exclusive then being 50 guys.

Would love to do a trip to Affalterbach, have been to Stuttgart and Bremen for factory collections and they were amazing.

Last edited by ShanSL350; 06-29-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Damm Spelling lol
Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ShanSL350
Cheers for the info, relatively exclusive then being 50 guys.

Would love to do a trip to Affalterbach, have been to Stuttgart and Bremen for factory collections and they were amazing.
+1, thanks