Sponsored by:

Dilemma - C63 or M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Unhappy Dilemma - C63 or M3?

I'm looking for some (hopefully not too biased) feedback.

For a while now I've been planning on getting an '09 BMW M3 Sedan. What I'm looking for in terms of options is a 6MT with the iDrive package, 19" rims, and nothing more really.

Recently, however, I've been really contemplating the situation and decided that, for family reasons, an automatic transmission would be better. Seems like a simple solution: Get the DCT transmission on the M3, but I feel it's a compromise of the M3's purity and I don't want to pay such big money for a compromise.

This got me looking at the C63. I've always liked the looks and the more I learned about the car the more I wanted it. I decided that I want the C63 and was ready to put a deposit down next week, but then I realized something: The price is much higher.

To start the C63 is a couple grand more than the M3. On top of that, everything is optional. The tech package is like $2500+. The performance package for a limited slip diff is over $3000. Leather seating? A grand or two more. For me to outfit the C63 in a comparable fashion would cost me in the high 60's, or roughly 10K more than I could get the comparable M3.

That is my dilemma. I really want the C63, as it suits my current needs better than anything, but I feel like the considerable price difference is pushing me back in the M3's direction. I'm not willing to spend more than 60K on this purchase.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 PM

2008 ML320 CDI
what about a 335i with stage 2 dinan mods? that will put you at almost the same HP as an M3, but a lot more tq. And it wont void the warranty, whatever BMW wont cover, Dinan will.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 PM

'08 CL600,'09 C63 (sld), '07 550i (sld), '08 VW , '04 X5 4.4 (sld), '02 ML (sld), '01 e46M3 (sld)
Originally Posted by Markoni
I'm looking for some (hopefully not too biased) feedback.

For a while now I've been planning on getting an '09 BMW M3 Sedan. What I'm looking for in terms of options is a 6MT with the iDrive package, 19" rims, and nothing more really.

Recently, however, I've been really contemplating the situation and decided that, for family reasons, an automatic transmission would be better. Seems like a simple solution: Get the DCT transmission on the M3, but I feel it's a compromise of the M3's purity and I don't want to pay such big money for a compromise.

This got me looking at the C63. I've always liked the looks and the more I learned about the car the more I wanted it. I decided that I want the C63 and was ready to put a deposit down next week, but then I realized something: The price is much higher.

To start the C63 is a couple grand more than the M3. On top of that, everything is optional. The tech package is like $2500+. The performance package for a limited slip diff is over $3000. Leather seating? A grand or two more. For me to outfit the C63 in a comparable fashion would cost me in the high 60's, or roughly 10K more than I could get the comparable M3.

That is my dilemma. I really want the C63, as it suits my current needs better than anything, but I feel like the considerable price difference is pushing me back in the M3's direction. I'm not willing to spend more than 60K on this purchase.
A well-equipped M3 is >$71k. Well equipped C63 (- LSD, don't need it if you don't track) ~$64, both + gas guzz & tax. By the time you add the gas and state taxes I don't think you can get either for less than 60 even with no options at all.

Use the search option on this forum and you'll find plenty of input. Either way, get ready to pay more than $60k - I know I saved around $6k getting the 63 and having driven both, I would have paid the same no problem.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:23 PM

09 C63
when I did the online builder for the M3 and gave the M3 the same options as what I want in the C63, the M3 was more expensive. If you want I can do the same with the model I have on order.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:24 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Not biased, I was in the same boat...

Until I drove both. The M3 sedan was a major disappointment to me. It felt slower than my B7 RS4 that I recently sold. Between the two, I would have kept the RS4. The M3 motor was so peaky and lacked torque. You really had to wring it out to get to the good stuff. Very fun if you are going to be on a track a lot...not so fun if you are looking for added grunt on the street.
I also drove the C63 AMG. I physically giggled like a school girl when I put my foot into it... right in front of the salesman. I figure that was a good sign

I am damn near pulling the trigger on a C63 AMG...if I do anything else, I might go back to another RS4...they are selling below invoice and that was actually a really incredible car. Like you, I really need an automatic for family and traffic reasons, so still leaning towards the C63 AMG...
Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Both cars are comparable in price, similarly equipped, although when I priced them out, the BMW was 2k more (DCT). Both great cars! To get the most of the M3, you will need to operate in the higher rev range...not easily done in daily driving. Also, there seems to be some issues with the initial release of the DCT. You may want to wait until these kinks are worked out before getting the M3 with DCT. The C63 can perform better as a daily driver due to its available power at a much lower rev range. Both very comfortable cars though, the AMG front seats more restrictive however. You can't make a bad choice here! Either way, you will be over 60k.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:12 PM

2009 C63 K1
I looked hard at both cars and they are almost exactly the same in price when they are comparably equipped. The benefit of the M3 is 4yr./50k with no costs for maintenance. The benefit of the C63 and why I chose it is the engine and fun factor on the road. The C63 will be more fun on a daily basis while the M3 will be a better track car.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
What the other's have said... M3 - no way it's cheaper than a 63. Maybe if you get an 08 that's sitting on a lot with the old tail lights.

That being said, do you REALLY need an LSD? You going to track the car?

Speaking of track, the M3 really NEEDS a track, otherwise, buy a 335.

If you get a 63, you will literally giggle like a little girl every time you start it.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:37 AM

None
You guys make some good points. I was actually thinking about the LSD issue earlier. If the performance package was the Euro-spec one with the suspension upgrades and all the other changes then I would say it's a must, but the U.S. version seems to be mainly an LSD which, although nice, isn't really necessary.

Could someone clear up for me what I would get if I don't opt for the leather package? Would the seats be fabric? For a 60+K car I would expect much better than cloth seats.

Is there any place online I can check out the different options available for the C63? The official MB site seems rather sparse on info.

Mind if I ask what prices you guys got with what options/packages? Also, what kind of deals can I expect? I know that they're fairly hot at the moment, but so are the M3's and they can be found for well below MSRP.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 AM

'08 CL600,'09 C63 (sld), '07 550i (sld), '08 VW , '04 X5 4.4 (sld), '02 ML (sld), '01 e46M3 (sld)
Originally Posted by Markoni
You guys make some good points. I was actually thinking about the LSD issue earlier. If the performance package was the Euro-spec one with the suspension upgrades and all the other changes then I would say it's a must, but the U.S. version seems to be mainly an LSD which, although nice, isn't really necessary.

Could someone clear up for me what I would get if I don't opt for the leather package? Would the seats be fabric? For a 60+K car I would expect much better than cloth seats.

Is there any place online I can check out the different options available for the C63? The official MB site seems rather sparse on info.

Mind if I ask what prices you guys got with what options/packages? Also, what kind of deals can I expect? I know that they're fairly hot at the moment, but so are the M3's and they can be found for well below MSRP.
Take 15 mins and search the rest of this forum and you'll find answers and pics to all of your specific questions and some good info beyond. Just trying to avoid another repeat thread. Good luck with your decision. Great problem to have.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
I also considered the M3 but only with the New Conv along with the rest of the upgrades... The fun factor with a hard top convertable was tough to give up, but what won me over besides the over all $ savings (around 8K at the end) Not to say the C63 is cheep close to 78K after taxes (CF PP pack) was the performance of the 6.2 engine. I was looking for performance and the C63fits the build all around... Plus its a Mercedes!!!