Sponsored by:

MBUSA re: PP -- "there was a production problem"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 Black Series
this is really pretty funny

That letter is most entertaining. For a car company in the premium luxury brand segment to "miss" installing elements of their options packages (big things, like suspension, brakes, etc.) is laughable. We can debate how valuable the package, is, etc...but that's not really the point. Its a customer relationship issue. One thing still outstanding = how they "ran out" of carbon fiber...(?)

As I have said previously, LSD on a rear wheel drive car with 451hp/449lbs torque is sort of a "must have", not just for the track. Its crazy to me that something like that doenst come standard on an AMG, their performance brand.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 PM

C63 / ////AMG
Interesting since I just asked about the Performance Package on the AMG Private Lounge and there was NO MENTION of this problem. Typical moves from the Mercedes-Benz cartel....
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jtrichel
That letter is most entertaining. For a car company in the premium luxury brand segment to "miss" installing elements of their options packages (big things, like suspension, brakes, etc.) is laughable. We can debate how valuable the package, is, etc...but that's not really the point. Its a customer relationship issue.
Very well said, Judging by the letter MB does not get it and could care less. What does it say about the other cars build during this time frame? Engine quality, fit, finish, quality control? If you can't bolt suspension and a steering wheel on correctly there is no way in hell you can build a car. Nobody at the factory or port knew the cars were build wrong?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Well my car got the the dealer today, guess what NOT WHAT I ORDERED!!! No steering wheel, brakes, ect. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to take a look at the car and see what it looks like and see what the dealer will do for me because MBUSA won't do $#!T thats for sure.

I am going to ask my dealer for the FULL $3990.00 discount. $1540.00 of that is a freebie rebate that cost them nothing, $1250.00 is for the speed limit witch means nothing by itself. If you get a ECU upgrade from anybody, thats a freebie. As for the $1200.00 LSD, I guess it is wroth it considering the time and trouble of getting one aftermarket and installing it. I guess I would settle for paying the $1200.00 for the dif, but I will start out by asking for the full discount. That credit is still a rip off because it would cost you WAY MORE to buy the OEM compound rotors, shocks, springs and steering wheel from the part department or the aftermarket for that matter. Full Brembo type Kit $3500 - $6500 , steering wheel $800 - $850, shocks springs $1500 - $3500 ABOUT.

So any way you stack it up the customer still gets the short end of the stick. My dealer seemed truly sorry but as for MB they are NOT. Do I realy want to buy a car from a company the suck a quality control system at there factory.

Not sure what to do
heres the problem......

they where gonna discount the car a few grand anyway
so now they'll just give you THAT discount and say "here ya go"

i want the regular discount i was gonna get, AND, on top of the i want the PP discounted aswell
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
So I shoot for the FULL $3990.00 discount and if they say yes let it ride? BTW, this still sucks.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you should get the PP discounted, but what about your original discount????

unless u where paying MSRP
Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Well I was set to pay full list, so I don't see anything more than the PP $3990.00
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
btw, how bad is it gonna suck, when PP cars built a month after yours will have:

BETTER BRAKES

BETTER SUSPENSION
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
honestly guru, i know you where SET to pay less....but you couldve gotten a G or 2 off before this whole debacle

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
True
Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
btw, how bad is it gonna suck, when PP cars built a month after yours will have:

BETTER BRAKES

BETTER SUSPENSION
Or... you could always be grateful you actually have a C63.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by MercPlease
OR

you couldve gotten an 08 6 months ago, and not wait for an 09 for no reason
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MercPlease
Well first thing, I will never be grateful for someone selling me something I did not order.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
In the end, I'm going to be happy if I get an LSD for free...

and those other 09's might have better brakes and suspension, but the stock are adequate and I'll be fine if I save the money for other mods...
Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
i waited for an 09 because i wanted CF....it was delayed 2 months, and now theres a chance they'll "forget" to put it in, run out, or delay me again...

the other reason i waited for an 09 was because of the PP.....and now this
Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Glock and company, I hear your angst. This is truly a monumental error on MB's part.

I wouldn't be so hasty in condemning MB in Stuttgart though. I do think the responsibility for what gets ordered and ultimately built in Germany falls squarely on MB USA and the option codes provided to the factory for any given order. If this was a factory issue we would be hearing from members around the globe with similar issues. That clearly hasn't happened and appears to be a local problem only with the early P30 ordered out of the USA.

Good luck to all those affected in this debacle and getting a proper refund base on goods delivered (or not). The first offer is indicative of a company and the persons responsible collectively attempting to cover their asses.

What's that old saying? "When it rains lemons its best to make lemonade". No pun intended.

Last edited by NORTH 44 C63; 08-05-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amdeutsch

$1250 for different limiter

This is a joke, there is no "limiter" in the car. The top speed regulation is just a setting on the ECU. It is a matter of typing in one number or another, no cost or parts involved.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 PM

C63 / ////AMG
Well first thing, I will never be grateful for someone selling me something I did not order.
I just sent out an email with a copy of that letter from MBUSA to my dealer. I just placed my order late July for one with a 030 Performance Package. There is no way in hell I'm paying for something that I did not order. I personally would not take delivery of a vehicle without everything I wanted. Let MBUSA and your dealership deal with the problem of being stuck with a car on their lot that you no longer want. In these economic times, tough luck to MBUSA. There is nothing you can do about the current situation, anyways.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
I wouldn't be so hasty in condemning MB in Stuttgart though. I do think the responsibility for what gets ordered and ultimately built in Germany falls squarely on MB USA and the option codes provided to the factory for any given order.
That must be it. With Rob Allan's accent, his German for "suspension" made it sound like "pile of scheisse" and "steering wheel" like "royal screw." Simple communication failure.

C'mon. The AMG MBUSA product managers have to work very tightly with AMB HQ product managers. This was a production screwup, not an "ordering" error.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
who thinks that the MB dealerships will still make people pay for whole PP price even though the dealer is getting a credit? I'm sure there will be people out there that will not know about the PP and end up paying the whole amount.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Glock and company, I hear your angst. This is truly a monumental error on MB's part.

I wouldn't be so hasty in condemning MB in Stuttgart though. I do think the responsibility for what gets ordered and ultimately built in Germany falls squarely on MB USA and the option codes provided to the factory for any given order. If this was a factory issue we would be hearing from members around the globe with similar issues. That clearly hasn't happened and appears to be a local problem only with the early P30 ordered out of the USA.
With that said, how can MBUSA order cars from MBHQ in such a matter that is not available (because it is a package) on the car in the U.S.? Why would MBHQ build cars in such a way that are not available (because of a package) in the U.S.? The software that the dealer configs the cars with give them limited options not "pick and pull". If you can order cars in any manner then I'll take a C class car with the V12-TT and SL65 BS brakes. I just don't see how MBUSA dropped the ball. Nobody at MBUSA or MBHQ knows WTF options come on a C63 in the U.S., are you STUPID? Must be, MB does not know what they are selling?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!

Agreed.

None of us knew for sure what the US version of the AMG Perf Pkg would include. There was only speculation and bogus info in the car rags. The 19" wheels were the first thing to go. Perhaps there was internal debate on this, and cars went into production without a final decision being made at big HQ.

Anyhow... $1200 for an LSD is great IMO. But an additional $1250 to let the car run to 174mph (which it will likely see only a handful of times!) is bogus IMO. So $2450 for the AMG Perf Pkg "Light" ... Hmmm.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
And $1,200 for VMAX=280 is a joke, when compared with the value they're putting on the LSD. Yes, in Germany, the price of the "Driver's Package" is comparable to the price of the LSD, but it includes raising VMAX, certification with the TÜV and a hand's on drivers training course.

The factory is making a big mistake trying to recoup their losses by screwing the already screwed.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG

Good luck to all those affected in this debacle and getting a proper refund base on goods delivered (or not). The first offer is indicative of a company and the persons responsible collectively attempting to cover their asses.

What's that old saying? "When it rains lemons its best to make lemonade". No pun intended.
With that said, how can MBUSA order cars from MBHQ in such a matter that is not available (because it is a package) on the car in the U.S.? Why would MBHQ build cars in such a way that are not available (because of a package) in the U.S.? The software that the dealer configs the cars with give them limited options not "pick and pull". If you can order cars in any manner then I'll take a C class car with the V12-TT and SL65 BS brakes. I just don't see how MBUSA dropped the ball. Nobody at MBUSA or MBHQ knows WTF options come on a C63 in the U.S., are you STUPID? Must be, MB does not know what they are selling?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM

2013 C63 Black Series

This may be true, but there shouldnt be multiple different Mercedes Benz companies. MBUSA operates on the OEMs behalf, so it shouldnt matter to a customer whether it is MB AG, or MBUSA, etc. These are very expensive cars and very big errors. I do work for a smaller, but more profitable, car company also based in Stuttgart. I can tell you that if they had this kind of error land on the showroom...i.e. stickers not matching equipment in a big systemic way, they would do more to maintain the customer relationship. "Oops, sorry, but we are going to charge you for the partial package you received" just doesnt seem to get it. The letter clearly indicate that MB wont retrofit, even for a charge. Think about the depreciation and other financial impacts to someone that gets one of the "partial" performance package cars, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBUSA re: PP -- "there was a production problem"