Sponsored by:

MBUSA re: PP -- "there was a production problem"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jtrichel
This may be true, but there shouldnt be multiple different Mercedes Benz companies. MBUSA operates on the OEMs behalf, so it shouldnt matter to a customer whether it is MB AG, or MBUSA, etc. These are very expensive cars and very big errors. I do work for a smaller, but more profitable, car company also based in Stuttgart. I can tell you that if they had this kind of error land on the showroom...i.e. stickers not matching equipment in a big systemic way, they would do more to maintain the customer relationship. "Oops, sorry, but we are going to charge you for the partial package you received" just doesnt seem to get it. The letter clearly indicate that MB wont retrofit, even for a charge. Think about the depreciation and other financial impacts to someone that gets one of the "partial" performance package cars, etc.
THANK YOU
Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Has anyone in Canada received their 09 with the PP yet?

Just wondering if the car has the same problem up here??? Is this strickly a MBUSA issue or a Mercedes Issue just screwing up?

I have an 09 on order with the Performance Package set for a Sept '09 build date and I'm thinking twice about whether the package is required by me or not.

This whole problem is **cking ridiculous, I feel bad for everyone going through this right now. Best of luck guys!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by yaymitch
I am glad that I am leasing so I do not have to worry about depreciation or resale. But, I have to say my experience with MB has been extremely painful.

1) My salesman is a rookie, even though he has been selling MB cars for years. He knows very little and became confrontational when I asked him about the lack of features on the Perf. Pkg. while asking for a concession.
2) MB cannot even publish what is available on these cars or the pricing on their website.
3) This PP issue has been a fiasco punishing those of us that ordered early.
4) If MB truly gave a crap, they would waive the entire $3990 and build their customer loyalty. I am sure they honestly believe their mistake was showing these features on the sticker or they would have made us pay the full $3990 for just the LSD and speed delimiter saying that was all that was included.

MB feels like just another huge automaker screwing the uneducated buyer.

I would go get an M3 tomorrow if the 09's were available. I never had these issues with BMWUSA. In fact my experience with BMW is when they do make mistakes they over deliver in their efforts to satisfy their customers.
Time for me to look at a 09' M3 w/DCT or I can get a Black on Black RS4 fully loaded for $7500.00 off MSRP.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
What bothers me about this mess is how I've justified this car purchase against my two other options, the M3 and the upcoming CTS-V. We all know that the M3 is better than the existing C63 on the road course and what the CTS-V did at the "ring". I was hoping that tests of the '09 with the PP would settle the score across the board...very disappointing for me and Mercedes Benz.

On the bright side, if I or others start cancelling orders, prices will come down..for unfortunate reasons.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Time for me to look at a 09' M3 w/DCT or I can get a Black on Black RS4 fully loaded for $7500.00 off MSRP.
I drove the M3 w/ DCT and it is an amazing car. Just as quick as the C63. Check out this article -

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

And to top it off the Advantage BMW salesman is very knowledgeable and professional. The only downside for me is that I would have to wait until November to get one from him.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Honestly, you all are cracking me up!

1) if you refuse the car, it'll be sold in a week. Another person will pay list for it and see PP on the sticker that's been discounted by $1200. They'll think SWEET! a bargain.

2) if you refuse the car, boy oh boy are you missing out.

3) sure it sucks, negotiate. I agree that the value put on a speed limit is ridiculous... think of it in different terms... A Quaife diff is around $1800 plus installation. So the limiter is actually only costing you $500. Still a slap in the face for an ECU digit change.

4) tough times... HA HA HA HA. There are just as many people making money on stock PUTs as there were longing them. These same people don't care if gas costs $6/gallon.

5) BETTER brakes, maybe. BETTER suspension? depends on your needs.. I personally think the stock setup is a better suspension as I never drive on tracks with my DD.

so it's all a perspective. In the end, chill. Enjoy the ride. Negotiate with the dealer - especially if they've been good to you and do so remembering that if you don't buy it, someone else will and they will enjoy it.

Cheers!

And Last Emp. Quit stirring the crap pot go get that 650 already!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by peet
Honestly, you all are cracking me up!

1) if you refuse the car, it'll be sold in a week. Another person will pay list for it and see PP on the sticker that's been discounted by $1200. They'll think SWEET! a bargain.

2) if you refuse the car, boy oh boy are you missing out.

3) sure it sucks, negotiate. I agree that the value put on a speed limit is ridiculous... think of it in different terms... A Quaife diff is around $1800 plus installation. So the limiter is actually only costing you $500. Still a slap in the face for an ECU digit change.

4) tough times... HA HA HA HA. There are just as many people making money on stock PUTs as there were longing them. These same people don't care if gas costs $6/gallon.

5) BETTER brakes, maybe. BETTER suspension? depends on your needs.. I personally think the stock setup is a better suspension as I never drive on tracks with my DD.

so it's all a perspective. In the end, chill. Enjoy the ride. Negotiate with the dealer - especially if they've been good to you and do so remembering that if you don't buy it, someone else will and they will enjoy it.

Cheers!

And Last Emp. Quit stirring the crap pot go get that 650 already!

no offense, but thats very easy for you to say

most of us who are complaining, are ppl that ordered the PP

maybe YOU wouldnt order that stuff, but you know what.....if YOU ordered the PP and got screwed over like this, you'd be singing a different tune

you wouldnt say, "oh well, i never really needed this or that anyways"

and sure someone else will buy the car........but we're hardcore enthusiasts on this forum
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
M3 w/ DCT ... Just as quick as the C63
Actually it is not. There was a test performed in scandinavia comparing that car, Audi and a bunch of others.

Roll-on to 250kph the 63 beat the M3 by about 10 car lengths. From a standing start the 63 beat the M3 by about 3 car lengths to 150kph.

Sorry, bzzzz. try again.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
and dont tell me not to stir the pot!

im NOT stirring any pot...this is a HUGE f*ck up, and if you cant realize that, youre a MORON

what if youre C230k that you ordered in manual came in auto matic after youve been waiting months for it

and missing the steering wheel is one thing

BUT THE BRAKES AND SUSPENSION???????????????????

if you cant relate, i dunno what to tell you brother

***EDIT: sorry to call you a moron, but if it was you, youd be pissed off big time***

Last edited by Last Emperor; 08-05-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: PP Production Delays

This was the last straw for me. Despite my car arriving at the dealer any day, I cancelled my order after hearing this latest PP news.

To be candid, after seeing the $70,840 MSRP window sticker last week, I was kind of on the fence anyway; my dealer was discounting $2,800 before the PP issues, but the transaction price was still going to be over $10K more than my loaded E550 cost last year. As much as I wanted a C63, it ain't an E class.

I've decided to wait a little bit and see what the 09 Cadi CTS-V will go for. I bet the price will be close, and I think the Cadi will be a pretty (rare and) awesome car.

Good luck to those getting their early PP C63s, for what it's worth I either wait for the complete PP, or only pay the $1200 for the LS diff. If your dealer won't give back the rest, just get one without the PP and save some $$ and aggravation.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Originally Posted by Glock Guru
THANK YOU
I was just trying to give you some direction to channel your fight for a fair deal. Its a little tough to go after MBHQ from this side of the English speaking pond. MBUSA ultimately created the software that they used for the creation of your orders. That process appears to have failed and MBUSA should be held accountable.

If it was me and I had one of these rare vehicles either at the dealer or on its way I would be negotiation mode instead of being pissed at the planet

I would suggest that the "speed limit delete" is not required without the suspension or brakes to stop it and can be eliminated with a simple flash of the ECU to non-P30 C63 spec. No matter what they say this is an easy process (confirmed with my long time shop foreman today). Then only pay the $1200 for the LSD (Great deal by the way) and call it a day. You will end up with a unique C63 in the North American market and be the envy of many, myself included. If you really want the limit delete later go to Kleemann for $1495 to get it. Great side effect is a 60-70 HP increase

If I had the stand alone option for the LSD (just like it can be ordered in a half dozen counties outside North America) I would have gone that route rather than the full P30 in a hart beat.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
I was just trying to give you some direction to channel your fight for a fair deal. Its a little tough to go after MBHQ from this side of the English speaking pond. MBUSA ultimately created the software that they used for the creation of your orders. That process appears to have failed and MBUSA should be held accountable.

If it was me and I had one of these rare vehicles either at the dealer or on its way I would be negotiation mode instead of being pissed at the planet

I would suggest that the "speed limit delete" is not required without the suspension or brakes to stop it and can be eliminated with a simple flash of the ECU to non-P30 C63 spec. No matter what they say this is an easy process (confirmed with my long time shop foreman today). Then only pay the $1200 for the LSD (Great deal by the way) and call it a day. You will end up with a unique C63 in the North American market and be the envy of many, myself included. If you really want the limit delete later go to Kleemann for $1495 to get it. Great side effect is a 60-70 HP increase

If I had the stand alone option for the LSD (just like it can be ordered in a half dozen counties outside North America) I would have gone that route rather than the full P30 in a hart beat.

Good luck
what if you WANTED the brakes and suspension

would you wait and 3 months, cancel your order, or just suck it up and take what they give you to save a few buck ????????????????????
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM

2009 C63 K1
Actually it is not. There was a test performed in scandinavia comparing that car, Audi and a bunch of others.

Roll-on to 250kph the 63 beat the M3 by about 10 car lengths. From a standing start the 63 beat the M3 by about 3 car lengths to 150kph.

Sorry, bzzzz. try again.
There was also a test comparing IS-F, M3 6-spd., C63 and RS4 and the M3 beat them all from a standing start in the quarter. Those tests are all dependent on the driver. The bottom line is that they are very close and depending on which article or test you look at you can find one that supports your opinion. Chew on that!! Who cares what happens in Scandinavia anyway (jk)?

Wrong, the dealer will not volunteer the discount, they'll just pocket the extra $1500 and screw the uneducated buyer.

Last edited by yaymitch; 08-05-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Last Emperor
what if you WANTED the brakes and suspension

would you wait and 3 months, cancel your order, or just suck it up and take what they give you to save a few buck ????????????????????
You could wait or get the front Composite rotors from either Evo of VRP for between $1500 and $2000. Lots of suspension tweaks for around $1000 but personally i would leave the suspension alone on a daily driver.

Don't just suck it up. Go for the stand alone LSD and kill the Speed Limit delete.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by OverBudget
Troy,

but I'm not paying $1,250 for a speed limited increase... Won't happen...
Exactly. You are already half-way to a Kleemann tune.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
The more I think about it, the more I realize MBUSA is ill-equipped to handle the US enthusiast market. OTOH, BMW has been doing this for decades.

This issue is especially evident at the dealers. I empathize with you guys who have issues with the salespeople. Walking into an MB dealer is a turnoff in itself. Their clientele are not enthusiasts, they seem to just want a German car with a smooth ride so their latte won't spill. Most of the salespeople only know how to lease an E350 every 39 months. (is that the bulk of this manufacturer's market in the US? I'm thinking yes) The MB dealer is a different world than the BMW dealer. There are fewer enthusiasts buying MBs and certainly not a whole lot of enthusiasts selling them. MB just doesn't cater to enthusiasts as well as BMW (yet?)

Hopefully you guys can get past all that and the dealers will make right. The purchase experience is unfortunately what you have to go through to buy any car, not just the C63. This is an incredible car and once you're out of the showroom, you will be happy with your choice every time you step on the go pedal.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
You could wait or get the front Composite rotors from either Evo of VRP for between $1500 and $2000. Lots of suspension tweaks for around $1000 but personally i would leave the suspension alone on a daily driver.

Don't just suck it up. Go for the stand alone LSD and kill the Speed Limit delete.
so you'd be more or less fine if your P30 came in like this?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
The more I think about it, the more I realize MBUSA is ill-equipped to handle the US enthusiast market. OTOH, BMW has been doing this for decades.

This issue is especially evident at the dealers. I empathize with you guys who have issues with the salespeople. Walking into an MB dealer is a turnoff in itself. Their clientele are not enthusiasts, they seem to just want a German car with a smooth ride so their latte won't spill. Most of the salespeople only know how to lease an E350 every 39 months. (is that the bulk of this manufacturer's market in the US? I'm thinking yes) The MB dealer is a different world than the BMW dealer. There are fewer enthusiasts buying MBs and certainly not a whole lot of enthusiasts selling them. MB just doesn't cater to enthusiasts as well as BMW (yet?)

Hopefully you guys can get past all that and the dealers will make right. The purchase experience is unfortunately what you have to go through to buy any car, not just the C63. This is an incredible car and once you're out of the showroom, you will be happy with your choice every time you step on the go pedal.
Hans, I love your positive attitude and my plan is to make this purchase despite my poor experience with the dealer. OTOH, my experience talking with MBUSA was pleasant and they were very responsive as well.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Hans, I love your positive attitude and my plan is to make this purchase despite my poor experience with the dealer. OTOH, my experience talking with MBUSA was pleasant and they were very responsive as well.
honestly, MBUSA on the phone is quite awesome!!

its mainly just the sales ppl who suck *ss !

the C63 is a awesome car, i love it......i just suck that a VERY SMALL number of us enthusiasts with the 030 car on order get screwed a lil bit
Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Last Emperor
so you'd be more or less fine if your P30 came in like this?
The main reason I went with the P30 was the LSD after researching aftermarket alternates. There are some VERY capable LSD's to be had but I opted for OEM. In order to do that I sold myself on the whole enchilada.

I am very happy with my choice and the options included in my build but if I could of had the LSD as a stand alone.....I would be all over it like smell on a dog.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!

Cool, glad they were helpful!

I gave up on the M3 after having my own issues with the long wait and of course the initial bugs with the car itself. I thought, if the process of getting this car is going to be this difficult, maybe it's not meant to be...

I hope you like the C63, I think you will! If not, "it's a great time to be an enthusiast" -- so many great cars to pick from, especially in this economy when dealers need the sale!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
The main reason I went with the P30 was the LSD after researching aftermarket alternates. There are some VERY capable LSD's to be had but I opted for OEM. In order to do that I sold myself on the whole enchilada.

I am very happy with my choice and the options included in my build but if I could of had the LSD as a stand alone.....I would be all over it like smell on a dog.
yea i guess.....alot of ppl would order the stand alone LSD, but it wasnt available

so it varies case by case....in your case it wouldve worked out and you wouldve saved a few bucks

in my case the #1 reason i wanted the PP (aside from the LSD) was the WHEEL and the BRAKES...... so in my case im not as happy as you wouldve been
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Rare??

44 North C55, there is nothing rare about this car. There are 70+ for sale on Autotrader right now. There are 4-5 on Dallas lots here right now. Nothing rare about a car that they will sell thousands of in the U.S. Rare compared to other C-series, yes...or Honda Accord, yes, but not all that rare. In MB terms, I guess the Black Series are 'more' rare, or the SLR, etc... you get the picture. Rare = a hundred cars, not thousands upon thousands.

Not trying to get in a big debate about semantics, but I feel that this is the whole point...this is not a "gee, we should just be happy to have it" car. To go through all this on a car that has already been out a year, bases in the $50s is just silly.

RE: other options... I drove the M3 sedan (admittedly not the DCT) and was hugely disappointed. Looked like any other 3-series to me and was so peaky that it would be no fun to drive on the street in my opinion. On a track with the DCT maybe, but my test drive was very uninspiring around town. As I said, I think that I am going back to the RS4, which is just a fantastic all around package, lacking only in an auto transmission and a bit more speed...but plenty for the street.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I drove the M3 w/ DCT and it is an amazing car. Just as quick as the C63. Check out this article -

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html
DCT certainly makes things interesting. Plus, M3 has a 19" wheel option.

Plus no GG tax on the M3?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by jtrichel
44 North C55, there is nothing rare about this car. There are 70+ for sale on Autotrader right now. There are 4-5 on Dallas lots here right now. Nothing rare about a car that they will sell thousands of in the U.S. Rare compared to other C-series, yes...or Honda Accord, yes, but not all that rare. In MB terms, I guess the Black Series are 'more' rare, or the SLR, etc... you get the picture. Rare = a hundred cars, not thousands upon thousands.
I think 44 North meant that the early PP cars without the susp., brakes and alcantara will be rare. Interesting point...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBUSA re: PP -- "there was a production problem"