Important Note to all you C63 PP owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Important Note to all you C63 PP owners

I also posted this on the PP screw up thread but thought the information was important enough to give it it's own thread.

The LSD (Limited Slip Differential) contains a brake-in fluid. It will note on your windshield when you pick up the car that the oil needs to be changed at 1875miles. This is a sticker in addition to the break in warning sticker.

THIS LSD OIL CHANGE SHOULD BE INCLUDED BY THE DEALER FOR FREE AT THE FIRST 1K to 2K miles SERVICE CHECK.

Many dealers do not know to do it. Mine did not and I did not know at the time that they should have done it. The gear lube is Castrol SAF-XJ 75W-140 synthetic and costs $30/qt at the dealer. The ONLY other place to get it is at a BMW dealer where it costs about $15/qt but you need to bring your own container. That is what I did. The drain and fill plugs take about 200ftlb to break free and require a 17mm allen wrench or similar hex socket.

My dealer ended up comping me with an A service.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
This is true for non PP cars as well. We need to start referring to this thing as LLSD versus ELSD. Both cars have LSD - one is mechanical the other electronic.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:20 PM

'08 C63
I don't have LSD on mine, but I got the dif fluid changed at the first service any way. It clearly states on the service records book that this is recommended at the initial service. I had to bring it to the attention of the service advisor. My engine oil was down, so I mentioned this as well. I got the dif fluid change and a complete motor oil change without charge.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
this happened to me with my e46 m3...they used the wrong diffy fluid and after 3000 miles it would grind on all sharp cornering
Old 08-09-2008, 02:24 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
I also posted this on the PP screw up thread but thought the information was important enough to give it it's own thread.

The LSD (Limited Slip Differential) contains a brake-in fluid. It will note on your windshield when you pick up the car that the oil needs to be changed at 1875miles. This is a sticker in addition to the break in warning sticker.

THIS LSD OIL CHANGE SHOULD BE INCLUDED BY THE DEALER FOR FREE AT THE FIRST 1K to 2K miles SERVICE CHECK.

Many dealers do not know to do it. Mine did not and I did not know at the time that they should have done it. The gear lube is Castrol SAF-XJ 75W-140 synthetic and costs $30/qt at the dealer. The ONLY other place to get it is at a BMW dealer where it costs about $15/qt but you need to bring your own container. That is what I did. The drain and fill plugs take about 200ftlb to break free and require a 17mm allen wrench or similar hex socket.

My dealer ended up comping me with an A service.
Not exactly. It does not have special break in fluid. It used the standard fluid but they do require the change and they feel strong enough about it to pay the dealer to do it for us. Same for all LSD cars and the G55.

The sticker doesn't say anything about break in fluid it just says that you need to have the service on the LSD performed at the specified interval.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:29 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by peet
This is true for non PP cars as well. We need to start referring to this thing as LLSD versus ELSD. Both cars have LSD - one is mechanical the other electronic.
No it is not true for non Mechanical LSD cars. YOu do not require a specific break in differential fluid change.

If you do not have a Mechanical LSD then you have ESP. ESP will act as a LSD in some situations by applying braking to a spinning wheel to control the rear axle. It actually works really well but don't confuse this with a Mechanical LSD.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
Not exactly. It does not have special break in fluid. It used the standard fluid but they do require the change and they feel strong enough about it to pay the dealer to do it for us. Same for all LSD cars and the G55.

The sticker doesn't say anything about break in fluid it just says that you need to have the service on the LSD performed at the specified interval.
You familiar with the color "Flint Grey"? The diff oil was that color including the metallic sparkles. I am hard pressed to believe that in 2000miles the diff produced that much wear. The oil going in looks like Wesson vegy oil. Do you have a source for your information?