C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Question for C63 AMG owners (UK preferrably)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar XJ8 Sport & Audi TT Mk2
Question for C63 AMG owners (UK preferrably)

Please can you tell me, is it OK to run the C63 AMG on normal unleaded (i.e. not Super unleaded)?

Reading the AMG brochure just now, it has all the AMG models lined up and for all but one of them it says "Super Unleaded" against the petrol type.

I am having a test drive next week and providing that goes OK I was all set to order one. However, my company pays for my petrol (luckily for me) with a fuel card. And unfortunately they will not pay for Super unleaded. So unless I can run it on regular fuel, I will probably have to rule it out. Which would be unbearable having looked forward to buying this car for ages.

Please tell me that Super is "recommended" but that 95 Ron will do?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Almost a Member!

I'd imagine you'd be OK on normal petrol, the knock sensor will just retard the timing some more and you'll be down on power, but not damaging anything.

If your company will pay only for normal unleaded, perhaps consider topping it up with an octane booster (Millers etc)
Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 AM

C63 AMG
Can't see it being a problem running the car on 95 as the car and ECU will have tolerances built in for safety.

I friend with a SLK55 has a similar problem but he does 3 tanks 95 and one tank of 97 or higher for the 4th tank.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 AM

C63 Darth Vader
Hi Chippy,

Normal unleaded is totaly fine m8.

If you want to now and again then stick in a tankfull of Shell Optimax or Super Unleaded it is supposed to give better mpg and more power, but its unlikey you will notice the difference in everyday driving.

I'm collecting mine from Germany this Friday and driving it back ready for the official handover on Sept 1st (new reg and all that), good luck with your order, just let us know how long for delivery.

Cheers
Mark
Old 08-18-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys for your helpful comments.

Given that this is quite important (like if I get it wrong, I am going to have to sell the car) can anyone advise what it actually says in the UK owners handbook regards petrol type?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by SuperCover
I'm collecting mine from Germany this Friday and driving it back ready for the official handover on Sept
I'm going over in a few weeks for mine too.. Whereabouts in Northants are you ? I'm near Daventry
Old 08-18-2008, 03:26 PM

C63 Darth Vader
Originally Posted by exiges
I'm going over in a few weeks for mine too.. Whereabouts in Northants are you ? I'm near Daventry
Wellingborough. Good luck with your trip, what spec have you gone for?

Cheers
Mark
Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL203, W211
Woohoo more Brits!

You guys are going to love the Autobahns on the way home
Old 08-18-2008, 04:30 PM

09 C63
Hi Chippy,

Normal unleaded is totaly fine m8.

If you want to now and again then stick in a tankfull of Shell Optimax or Super Unleaded it is supposed to give better mpg and more power, but its unlikey you will notice the difference in everyday driving.

I'm collecting mine from Germany this Friday and driving it back ready for the official handover on Sept 1st (new reg and all that), good luck with your order, just let us know how long for delivery.

Cheers
Mark
Mark, I'll be picking mine up in October. I live in Germany and Stuttgart is only a couple of hours away from me. I'd love to head down there and see the place and see your car if you'd be interested in meeting up. I'll probably be taking the train when I go in October, so I need to do a recon of how to get there anyway.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:43 PM

C63 Darth Vader
Originally Posted by AMGBeleza
Mark, I'll be picking mine up in October. I live in Germany and Stuttgart is only a couple of hours away from me. I'd love to head down there and see the place and see your car if you'd be interested in meeting up. I'll probably be taking the train when I go in October, so I need to do a recon of how to get there anyway.
Sounds good.

M.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:46 PM

09 C63
Sounds good.

M.
Awesome, just let me know what time you'll be there. I'm going to use my GPS to find the place. Since you're driving your car back to the UK, how are you getting to the place?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM

C63 Darth Vader
Originally Posted by AMGBeleza
Awesome, just let me know what time you'll be there. I'm going to use my GPS to find the place. Since you're driving your car back to the UK, how are you getting to the place?
PM sent....
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Wellingborough. Good luck with your trip, what spec have you gone for?
Calcite white, black leather, Performance Pack, 19", COMAND, and parking sensors.. I think that's about it
Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM

C63 Darth Vader
Originally Posted by exiges
Calcite white, black leather, Performance Pack, 19", COMAND, and parking sensors.. I think that's about it
PP eh? Phew brave with the white too....

My spec is Obsidian Black, Sahara leather, Black Maple, LSD, 19", Comand, Parktronic and Harmon Kardon.

M.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM

Yes, all very interesting.

Now back on topic - please would someone from the UK be kind enough to look in the owner's manual and see what it says about petrol grades?

It will only take you 2 minutes and I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM

C63 AMG
Just had a look for you
Fuel flap says Super Unleaded 98 RON
Also says min 93 RON

But handbook has section on fuel saying only use 98RON or above else warranty void and may cause engine issues.

Section underneath says may use 95 RON if 98 RON not available but that you must not accelerate fully and that only to use as a temporary solution.

Sorry probably not what you want to hear??
Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Black Maple
Ah yeah, I specced that too. Seemed a reasonable price, and the "aluminium" looked a bit base-spec for my liking.

I had considered the Harmon Kardon, but didn't think I'd appreciate the extra sound quality with my exhaust at full blare with my windows down
Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ShanSL350
Just had a look for you
Fuel flap says Super Unleaded 98 RON
Also says min 93 RON

But handbook has section on fuel saying only use 98RON or above else warranty void and may cause engine issues.

Section underneath says may use 95 RON if 98 RON not available but that you must not accelerate fully and that only to use as a temporary solution.

Sorry probably not what you want to hear??
Thanks. This is REALLY REALLY REALLY bad news. 3 reallies.

I knew 98 was going to be "recommended", but I really hoped it would say 95 was OK if you couldn't get 98. From the sound of the wording using 95 all the time is not going to be an option.

Sadly, unless there is some workaround, I think this effectively rules out the C63 for me :-(

As I can get 95 octane completely free vs 98 octane at maybe £1.33 per litre, buying a car that will only run on 98 would be completely insane.

I'll have a talk with MB and see what they say.

Thanks for taking the time to check for me.