C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

AZ Tax Rate for my new C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
AZ Tax Rate for my new C63 AMG

I'm having my car shipped from Cali to AZ. Does anyone know what the tax rate will be here in AZ? I think it's 7.8% but is that for the entire state? Does it make a difference if I go to a Mesa DMV versus a Scottsdale DMV?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by hawtheric1
I'm having my car shipped from Cali to AZ. Does anyone know what the tax rate will be here in AZ? I think it's 7.8% but is that for the entire state? Does it make a difference if I go to a Mesa DMV versus a Scottsdale DMV?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
I have no idea about tax rates but was wondering if you figured out about the situation with registering it an AZ and taking delivery in CA.

Do you indeed have to ship it? What company are you using for shipping.

I have used sierra mountain many times for shipping and they have been very helpful every time. It is the same company MB uses to ship all their vehicles so they know how the cars should be treated.

Ask your dealership if they just arrange it to be picked up when they drop off a batch of cars.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:30 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I have no idea about tax rates but was wondering if you figured out about the situation with registering it an AZ and taking delivery in CA.

I have used sierra mountain many times for shipping and they have been very helpful every time. It is the same company MB uses to ship all their vehicles so they know how the cars should be treated.

Ask your dealership if they just arrange it to be picked up when they drop off a batch of cars.
I have no choice but to ship it. The main reason is the tax implications for next year. I simply can't afford to lose the registration costs. I can register it in Cali and drive it home from there but again, I would lose the AZ tax benefit next year.

The dealer has not told me who they will use. They will ship the vehicle to Schumacher and Schumacher will introduce me to the BEAST. I will ask my dealer about Sierra Mountain. Thank you for the tip.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM

2017 C63S Coupe, 2015 Range Rover Sport
8.3% for city of Phoenix. Schumacher is in Phoenix even though they call it "Scottsdale Schumacher Mercedes Benz". Add on the $900+ registration and we get taken to the cleaners here in AZ.........................
Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kdoyle
8.3% for city of Phoenix. Schumacher is in Phoenix even though they call it "Scottsdale Schumacher Mercedes Benz". Add on the $900+ registration and we get taken to the cleaners here in AZ.........................
kdoyle

$900+ on registration huh? That might be peanuts for most of the members here but not me.

Cali's rate is 7.75% maybe I should just buy the car there and drive it home like I had originally planned. Any idea what registration costs are in Cali....anyone?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply to my post.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:09 PM

2009 C63 AMG

Just got a quote from Sierra Mountain Express. They said they would ship it for $300. My dealer wants to charge me $5-600. I don't think so buddy!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
yeah, be prepared to bend over and take it when you go to register your car. $900 sounds about right.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by e1000
yeah, be prepared to bend over and take it when you go to register your car. $900 sounds about right.
do you think it's cheaper to register the car in Cali? I'm asking the dealer as well but I haven't heard back yet.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
do you think it's cheaper to register the car in Cali? I'm asking the dealer as well but I haven't heard back yet.
I think they're about the same, and either way you're screwed. Pretty sure both AZ and CA have some of the highest car taxes of any state.

These rates are from 2006:

http://www.kiplinger.com/php/cartax.html
Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 PM

$900+ on registration huh? That might be peanuts for most of the members here but not me.
Roll it into your payment and it will not make much of a difference. At least for the first year... Next year you will have no choice but to pay it out of pocket. It's the cost of having a nice car in AZ or CA.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:09 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I just got off the phone with the DMV/MVD.

AZ Tax is 5.6% not 8.3%. Huge difference!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Cali's rate is 7.75% maybe I should just buy the car there and drive it home like I had originally planned. Any idea what registration costs are in Cali....anyone?
One other comment - the difference between 8.3% and 7.75% is only $358 on $65K. It's a wash if you factor in shipping plus I am sure the state of AZ will hassle you when you actually do register it locally. I would just get it here.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:18 PM

2009 C63 AMG
One other comment - the difference between 8.3% and 7.75% is only $358 on $65K. It's a wash if you factor in shipping plus I am sure the state of AZ will hassle you when you actually do register it locally. I would just get it here.
i think my best option is to have it shipped over via Sierra Mountain Express. They quoted me $300 (my dealer is saying $5-600) to have the car shipped from Buena Park to AZ.

MSRP on my beast is $70,220. AZ MVD/DMV quoted me ~$1200 (high quote) on Tax, title, registration. SHe said be prepared to pay that and 5.6% of the sale price.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Just got a quote from Sierra Mountain Express. They said they would ship it for $300. My dealer wants to charge me $5-600. I don't think so buddy!
Do you have a special order car? Would it not be easier to just go down and get one from your local dealership. There are C63's available and with this wonderful economy i bet you can get a pretty good build slot.

Seems like you are going through a bunch of trouble to get the car thats all.

I think your dealership is charging you a profit on hte shipping. Its about 700 when I ship cars to and from Oregon. 900 on a terrible day (since it goes by space available on trucks and where the truck needs to go).
Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM

5.6% is the base state rate. City of Phoenix is 8.3% for all retail sales:

http://phoenix.gov/plt/ctr1207.html

Confirmed two ways - this is the rate on my sales invoice and I called the city to double check. I'm not sure what "Transportation and Towing" refers to but they were very clear the city takes 8.3% on new car sales. 8.3% vs 7.75% is probably not worth the hassle.

The registration etc. the DVM quoted you is about right.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
I just got off the phone with the DMV/MVD.

AZ Tax is 5.6% not 8.3%. Huge difference!
yeah it's not the tax that's expensive here, it's the registration where they kill you.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM

2009 C63 AMG

Confirmed two ways - this is the rate on my sales invoice and I called the city to double check. I'm not sure what "Transportation and Towing" refers to but they were very clear the city takes 8.3% on new car sales. 8.3% vs 7.75% is probably not worth the hassle.

Here is the emailed response i received from the DMV

"If you are purchasing the vehicle from a private party, Arizona will not collect state sales tax. If you are purchasing the vehicle from a licensed dealer and the California sales tax is more than Arizona''s (5.6 percent of the purchase price less trade-in, if any), additional state sales tax will not be collected. If the out-of-state sales tax is less than Arizona''s, only the difference will be collected. You will need to submit the sales contract as proof of purchase price, amount of trade-in and amount of California sales tax paid."

I got the same response from a lady named Stacy on the phone. I'm not sure how the extra 2.7% is getting added in if at all. Stacy said when I come to the DMV with my new car that I will be charged 5.3% of the total sales price.
What am I missing?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Do you have a special order car? Would it not be easier to just go down and get one from your local dealership. There are C63's available and with this wonderful economy i bet you can get a pretty good build slot.

Seems like you are going through a bunch of trouble to get the car thats all.

I think your dealership is charging you a profit on hte shipping. Its about 700 when I ship cars to and from Oregon. 900 on a terrible day (since it goes by space available on trucks and where the truck needs to go).
Yes, my car is special order builde. I'm getting it from Cali because i have a "friend" and I'm able to get the car for 5% off of MSRP. Don't hate

I would rather go pick the car up there but again, I'm counting pennies in order to even get this car so I'm trying to save every dollar possible. Right now i'm convinced that the best way is to have the car shipped trucked over to AZ and then get is registered/licensed here.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 PM

2009 C63 AMG

Why call the city when you'd be paying the DMV. Call the DMV and ask them. I don't think the city person you called is correct.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Kdoyle,

I don't suppose you have a silver C63 and it was parked at Safeway on Scottsdale Road yesterday afternoon. I saw it and admired it for a few minutes.

My Mars Red C63 will be here next week. I live off of Cave Creek and 98th, across from Desert Mountain.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
I'm counting pennies in order to even get this car so I'm trying to save every dollar possible
Have you factored in the cost of gas, insurance, maintenance, and wear & tear? Much like buying a home, its not worth it in the end if you can't use it or enjoy it. I don't know your financial situation, but it seems like your struggling to get this if $300 makes a difference.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 PM

Why call the city when you'd be paying the DMV. Call the DMV and ask them. I don't think the city person you called is correct.
Your right - if you buy it out of state the sale is treated differently. I was referring to buying locally.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by OverBudget
Kdoyle,

I don't suppose you have a silver C63 and it was parked at Safeway on Scottsdale Road yesterday afternoon. I saw it and admired it for a few minutes.

My Mars Red C63 will be here next week. I live off of Cave Creek and 98th, across from Desert Mountain.
At the Summit shopping center? I do have a Silver C63 but I don't think that was mine. I'm off of Tatum and Dynamite. I was near the Safeway on Tatum and Cave Creek yesterday but that was it. Your going to love your car! I'll have to keep an eye out for ya
Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Here is the emailed response i received from the DMV

"If you are purchasing the vehicle from a licensed dealer and the California sales tax is more than Arizona''s (5.6 percent of the purchase price less trade-in, if any), additional state sales tax will not be collected. If the out-of-state sales tax is less than Arizona''s, only the difference will be collected. You will need to submit the sales contract as proof of purchase price, amount of trade-in and amount of California sales tax paid."
The same for NV. Even though we don't have State income taxes, we also get it from the behind during vehicle registration.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:03 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Must have been a different one. This one was at the Safeway just south of the Boulders on Scottsdale Road.

Tatum & Dynamite? That's Cocomo Joe's - I love that place.

See you around - I play golf at Golf Club of Scottsdale east on Dynamite and spend a lot of time in your area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AZ Tax Rate for my new C63 AMG