Dry Carbon Fiber "starless" grille!! W204/63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVE
Originally Posted by MJ50
frank, how many ppl are needed for k1 to make similar grille on 203? 10?
we're almost halfway there...
somebody post one on c32/w203 threads...
1. FrankW
2. MJ50
3. andy_meng1024
4. c_klasse
5. mig888

oh man, I'm in. Any pricing details?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 748 Likes on 729 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
now, we are literally 1/2way there...
frank, wake up and give us some updates...
Old 11-25-2008, 07:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
frank, how many ppl are needed for k1 to make similar grille on 203? 10?
we're almost halfway there...
somebody post one on c32/w203 threads...
I think they said 10 with deposit. turn around time will be no more than 3 weeks from deposit to actual product
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
how much are we lookin at here?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:21 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
just got words for the W204 grille.

here's the final spec they give me

-1-piece Dry Carbon Fiber construction
-1.3lbs
-2x2 weave for extra strength
-aero grade carbon-fiber
-each one will be serialized with it's own badge
-easy installation
-retail $899 on sale after Thanksgiving group-buy available for 10% plus discount.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by maverik259
how much are we lookin at here?
they say the w203 grille's less complicated and the material used will be less, so it will be cheaper than w204's.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
lets hope...cuz i've got many other things that i could drop a grand on besides a grill...lol though it is sexy....
Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by maverik259
lets hope...cuz i've got many other things that i could drop a grand on besides a grill...lol though it is sexy....
i'm pretty much done with modding the 32, so budget is open for that.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
great news everyone!

The grille it is now available for purchase.

here's the ebay purchasing info http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

and here is the group-buy deal information from K1's website
http://k1motorsport.3dcartstores.com...BUY41_p_7.html

happy holidays all!!
Old 12-25-2008, 12:22 AM

2009 C63
Install Instructions Anyone?

I just received my new CF grille from K1 today.. hooray! Just in time for Christmas.. except I have one issue, it did not come with any installation instructions as previously stated and as mentioned on the web site.
Does anyone have these instructtions and if possible could you scan them and send them to me via PM, please?
Or if there is anywhere on the web on how to install a W204 grille please post the web site where the instructions can be found. I searched far and wide for some but came up empty.
Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:39 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
grille removal

Originally Posted by shaker
I just received my new CF grille from K1 today.. hooray! Just in time for Christmas.. except I have one issue, it did not come with any installation instructions as previously stated and as mentioned on the web site.
Does anyone have these instructtions and if possible could you scan them and send them to me via PM, please?
Or if there is anywhere on the web on how to install a W204 grille please post the web site where the instructions can be found. I searched far and wide for some but came up empty.
Happy Holidays!!
I think that part would be my fault. I was suppose to take picture of the installation for them, but have not find the time.

there is a instruction on removing the stock grille on the 204 forum tho.

EDIT: can't find it, so here's my write up

ONE. removing the intake tube:

The tube is clipped in by a top and a bottom clip. first time removing it will be hard. push the tube where the clip is on the top from inside while pushing the back end of the tube down from outside. this should loosen the top clip and then just wiggle it loose and remove the end from the airbox as well to get it out of your way.

TWO removing the top plastic cover:

once the intake tubes are removed you should see the coolant line and another line hooked to the cover on the back side. Un-clip those and move them out of the way and unlock the plastic turn tab in the middle.

the top cover is hooked in by TWO "L" shape clip on the back one of each side and TWO "J" hook on the front.

For the "L" clip they are the piece where you un-clip the coolant lines on two side. Take your hand and reach down to pull them towards the engine and the clip will come loose.

For the "J" hook, you will see two open circle on the front/top, push down on the front side of the circle and move the entire piece forward. Usually you would only need to remove one side and the other side should come off easily.

once you have done that. just remove the top cover.

THREE removing the grille:

remove the screws on the top of the t-bar and push the stock grille on the bottom rail to un-hook those tabs on the bottom and then just lift the thing off. Again removing the tabs on the bottom for the first time might be hard. You can take your hand and push down on the tab from the inside while pushing the grille on the outside should make it easier to take it off.

For C63 you will have to remove the chrome piece section on the top of the hood. They're held on by clips I believe. On regular W204 we has a weather seal in it's place. Not sure if the C63 has it, but if you have the weather seal the seal will meet the top of the grille perfectly.

FOUR installing new grille:

just drop the grille into the two "T" shape thing on the side and clip in the tabs.

before cliping in the tabs make sure every tab is lined up. take your hand to the back of the grille reach down and push the grille out while pushing the bumper in until you hear or feel it clipped in.

since the K1 grille is designed to have no t-bar, just re-install the top cover. slide the top cover behind/under the grille up top and allow the turn tab in the middle to go through the pre-made rectangle cutout. Then just clip everything back to it was and lock the turn tab.

Last edited by FrankW; 12-25-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:01 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by FrankW
I think that part would be my fault. I was suppose to take picture of the installation for them, but have not find the time.

The tube is clipped in by a top and a bottom clip. first time removing it will be hard. push the tube where the clip is on the top from inside while pushing the back end of the tube down from outside. this should loosen the top clip and then just wiggle it loose and remove the end from the airbox as well to get it out of your way.

once the intake tubes are removed you should see the coolant line and another line hooked to the cover on the back side. Un-clip those and move them out of the way and unlock the plastic turn tab in the middle.

the top cover is hooked in by TWO "L" shape clip on the back one of each side and TWO "J" hook on the front.

For the "L" clip they are the piece where you un-clip the coolant lines on two side. Take your hand and reach down to pull them towards the engine and the clip will come loose.

For the "J" hook, you will see two open circle on the front/top, push down on the front side of the circle and move the entire piece forward. Usually you would only need to remove one side and the other side should come off easily.

remove the screws on the top of the t-bar and push the stock grille on the bottom rail to un-hook those tabs on the bottom and then just lift the thing off. Again removing the tabs on the bottom for the first time might be hard. You can take your hand and push down on the tab from the inside while pushing the grille on the outside should make it easier to take it off.

For C63 you will have to remove the chrome piece section on the top of the hood. They're held on by clips I believe. On regular W204 we has a weather seal in it's place. Not sure if the C63 has it, but if you have the weather seal the seal will meet the top of the grille perfectly.

just drop the grille into the two "T" shape thing on the side and clip in the tabs.

before cliping in the tabs make sure every tab is lined up. take your hand to the back of the grille reach down and push the grille out while pushing the bumper in until you hear or feel it clipped in.

since the K1 grille is designed to have no t-bar, just re-install the top cover. slide the top cover behind/under the grille up top and allow the turn tab in the middle to go through the pre-made rectangle cutout. Then just clip everything back to it was and lock the turn tab.
FrankW, firstly I very much appreciate the post during the holidays.

I have a C63, so after reading through this and then looking at the actual grille, I am a little concerned about this. Seems like a lot more work and effort than I first thought. Complete instructions for the C63 would have been nice, especially given the price we pay for these units.
I will give it a try over the next few days and post additional comments.
In the mean time if you or any else on this forum find any additional information please post or PM me.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:25 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
FrankW, firstly I very much appreciate the post during the holidays.

I have a C63, so after reading through this and then looking at the actual grille, I am a little concerned about this. Seems like a lot more work and effort than I first thought. Complete instructions for the C63 would have been nice, especially given the price we pay for these units.
I will give it a try over the next few days and post additional comments.
In the mean time if you or any else on this forum find any additional information please post or PM me.
Happy Holidays!
the only thing different in installation for the C63 is the piece that's attached to the hood. The regular C and the C63 can interchange grille as all the mounting position are the same.

changing the grille only takes me about 5 min.

Last edited by FrankW; 12-25-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:16 PM

2009 C63
the only thing different in installation for the C63 is the piece that's attached to the hood. The regular C and the C63 can interchange grille as all the mounting position are the same.

changing the grille only takes me about 5 min.
FrankW, thanks... I needed that.... it probably looks more complicated than it actually is... just the bottom part which has the return flange.... but I will let all know once complete.... Happy Holidays and again, thanks for the post
Old 12-26-2008, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
IMO I think it would look better with the star but its still hot nontheless
Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 AM

RS4 B5-C63 amg-SL 63 amg
I think that it's so expensive! lol

But I liked...
Old 12-27-2008, 04:44 PM

2009 C63

Having a real problem with these instructions: Firstly on the T-bar assembly there are no screws, they are push tabs (see last pic)

Next is the instructions regarding the chrome trim on the hood opening. Removing it does nothing as it is the same width/depth as the black plastic it is held with. The clips on the chrome section all break as you pry it, so I stopped removing/installing (see first two pics).

BTW the weathger strip is between the black plastic piece and the hood, the weather stripping would never ever butt up to antything on this grill, so not sure why the mention.

Any suggestions?

Seems to me that according to these instructions this was never installed on a C63 before.

I need help please ASAP
Attached Thumbnails Dry Carbon Fiber "starless" grille!! W204/63-img_0905a.jpg   Dry Carbon Fiber "starless" grille!! W204/63-img_0910a.jpg   Dry Carbon Fiber "starless" grille!! W204/63-img_0913a.jpg  

Last edited by shaker; 12-27-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:12 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Having a real problem with these instructions: Firstly on the T-bar assembly there are no screws, they are push tabs (see last pic)

Next is the instructions regarding the chrome trim on the hood opening. Removing it does nothing as it is the same width/depth as the black plastic it is held with. The clips on the chrome section all break as you pry it, so I stopped removing/installing (see first two pics).

BTW the weathger strip is between the black plastic piece and the hood, the weather stripping would never ever butt up to antything on this grill, so not sure why the mention.

Any suggestions?

Seems to me that according to these instructions this was never installed on a C63 before.

I need help please ASAP
the two screw/bolt is at the top of the picture in your third pic.

the tabs on the top chrome piece on the hood is prone to break, but they're cheap to replace from the dealership.

as I said, on the regular W204 we have a different rubber seal in it's place as stated in the previous post. you can change it or leave it out doesn't really matter. You can see in this picture at the very top of the grille where it meets the hood there is the rubber seal sitting on top.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:49 PM

2009 C63
the two screw/bolt is at the top of the picture in your third pic.

the tabs on the top chrome piece on the hood is prone to break, but they're cheap to replace from the dealership.

as I said, on the regular W204 we have a different rubber seal in it's place as stated in the previous post. you can change it or leave it out doesn't really matter. You can see in this picture at the very top of the grille where it meets the hood there is the rubber seal sitting on top.

FrankW, thanks for the reply.
I figured out it was the bolts/screws after I posted this..... duh.
I will get back at it tomorrow... not having much luck at any thing I touch today... My only fear is the fitment from the hood piece on to the grille now.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
FrankW, thanks for the reply.
I figured out it was the bolts/screws after I posted this..... duh.
I will get back at it tomorrow... not having much luck at any thing I touch today... My only fear is the fitment from the hood piece on to the grille now.
there's always a fear on all the new parts I bought. my biggest fear right now is I can't fix my header leak on my C32 and die from exhaust fume while driving. LOL If there's any other issue I'm sure K1 will take care of you.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
forgot to mention you can also get the rubber piece for the regular W204 if you worry about the gap on the top. the picture of the top piece you show is the top part of the stock C63 grille. you don't separate the chrome part and the black part on that piece.

Last edited by FrankW; 12-30-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 748 Likes on 729 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
i'm no expert here but frank put C63 grille on his C350 and then put K1 grille
thus, C63 should have no problem fitting K1 grille, no?

Any suggestions?

I need help please ASAP
Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
how are the grills coming out..? anything yet..? pictures of grill on a w203..?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
i'm no expert here but frank put C63 grille on his C350 and then put K1 grille
thus, C63 should have no problem fitting K1 grille, no?
It was a C63 replica. C63 grille can fit on a non-AMG 204, but there's a gap between the top and bottom halves. Seen it done and looks dopey. The rep is one piece. That said, primary grille assembly should be interchangeable between the two.

Originally Posted by saer1one
how are the grills coming out..? anything yet..? pictures of grill on a w203..?
I had it, but had fitment issues that were confirmed by K1. It just wouldn't lock in place. Also, mine was pretty beat up with more than normal pits and tons of scratches on it. They offered to replace it after confirming this, but I opted for a refund.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'08 C63 AMG (turned in for lease)
What a bummer that grill looked so sexy... wish it woulda had the star in it tho

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dry Carbon Fiber "starless" grille!! W204/63