Tuning for improved fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8
Tuning for improved fuel consumption

Everybody's preoccupied with getting more power out of their car, and there certainly seems to be no shortage of tuning companies out there ready to meet this demand. But I was wondering, is it possible to tune the car not for increased horsepower and torque, but rather for a material improvement in fuel consumption (without sacrificing performance).

I have no idea how large, if any, a market there might be for something like that, but it's definitely something that would be novel and would set a tuning company apart from the rest if it were indeed able to do it.

Is this possible? And would anyone actually be interested?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
I'm interested...put me down for a future group buy
Old 04-02-2009, 03:48 AM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Put me down for it as well! I doubt it is a possibility without requiring a lot of cash to do some major changes in the car.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Almost a Member!

2009 C63 AMG
weight reduction probably works!! also INCREASE your performance too!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Everybody's preoccupied with getting more power out of their car, and there certainly seems to be no shortage of tuning companies out there ready to meet this demand. But I was wondering, is it possible to tune the car not for increased horsepower and torque, but rather for a material improvement in fuel consumption (without sacrificing performance).

I have no idea how large, if any, a market there might be for something like that, but it's definitely something that would be novel and would set a tuning company apart from the rest if it were indeed able to do it.

Is this possible? And would anyone actually be interested?
Joking but serious, I think there is already a tune out there for this; the pathetic one that we all bought with our cars...
Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 AM

09 C63 steel grey
My personal feeling is that the world will be much better off when we no longer use petroleum products (environmentally, politically, global security/safety/etc). However I also don't think people will ever stop using them until all the oil is all gone. So I'm doing my part to use up the worlds supply of oil every time I step on the gas in my C63 Fuel efficient technology will only prolong all the evil that comes from oil.

Whatcha think about that?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by clktoc63
Joking but serious, I think there is already a tune out there for this; the pathetic one that we all bought with our cars...
Originally Posted by tyanger
My personal feeling is that the world will be much better off when we no longer use petroleum products (environmentally, politically, global security/safety/etc). However I also don't think people will ever stop using them until all the oil is all gone. So I'm doing my part to use up the worlds supply of oil every time I step on the gas in my C63 Fuel efficient technology will only prolong all the evil that comes from oil.

ROFL

Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
I'm not sure how BMW does it on the M5, but if pushing the M button gives their car an extra 100 horses, and theoretically worse fuel consumption, could the same thing be done on our cars, only backwards?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 AM

C63
Originally Posted by tyanger

nice reframing!!

I'll use it to justify my 8mpg
Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by wuyichao
nice reframing!!

I'll use it to justify my 8mpg
Wow, you're getting 8 mpg?? That's not bad!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:43 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Wow, you're getting 8 mpg?? That's not bad!
Okay, since we all knew what we were getting into with the gas mileage and having to feed this beast's hungry appetite is almost a point of pride for me, I have to share this... A trick you're sure to try.

Doing a thorough job washing the beast a few weeks ago, I had the fuel door open and cleaned behind it and around the gas cap. When you spray a hose around the gas cap, the overflow hole/line aggressively sucks the water out with a VERY audible and hysterical giant slurp sound. Funny enough that I called my girlfriend out to show her. Unfortunately, there's no "Ahhhhhhhh..." at the end.

And I'm still waiting for the subsequent burp or fart. (From the car, not the girlfriend...)